Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Offence looked good - without Ricky Ray but helped by a number of vets in on the O-Line; some good play by the receivers - Adams, Sinkfield, Adjei - one spot open to replace Inman?, with Owens, Chiles, Durie, maybe another NI (Watt?) as locks i guess; interesting battle at RB - not sure we saw who the best blocker was if that is a priority, but all of Slaton, Johnson and Steele ripped off some nice runs (albeit against a very iffy Bomber D with no real MLB in); Coombs had one nice run (and a decent return) but was in late in the game with inexperienced O-Linemen. I still think Harris is a potential very good young QB - always liked his outstanding college ball resume and the guy has a decent arm and some poise: Gale didn't overly impress me and Paschal is a long-shot (sorry dad) who at least got some significant playing time to show something. Also - Jerriel King at OG instead of OT ? - not sure i get that, even if Sewell is being counted on to start at OT - then, move Van Zeyl to OG and let King play OT where he was IMO so impressive last season. Maybe more like Van Zeyl & King as the starting OTs with Sewell the main back-up; Keeping at C, Holmes at one guard spot, then who is the other OG?

Special teams; brutal miss by the new FG kicker; i guess his punting was pretty good; noticed draft pick receiver Pszonzack was the holder; too bad he had no passes thrown his way on offence.

D is still the real big issue IMO - with so little experience and nobody really stepped-up with great play-making on D; Burke has a tough road ahead maybe to mold a strong unit; Argos might have to win a bunch of high scoring games, but that could be quite do-able with Ray and a potential very good supporting cast.
    Last edited by OV Argo; 06-10-2014 at 10:47 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Good QB's don't fit the ball into tight areas.
    Surely you don't mean this.

What you probably meant is you can't force a pass into coverage, which is absolutely right. But sometimes the window of opportunity for "throwing the receiver open" is really short, which sometimes means the ball's gotta get there really fast. Probably more important in the NFL, where there's so much less open space. Ricky could have easily been an NFL QB if he was able to throw an accurate bullet when he had to.

Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Argos might have to win a bunch of high scoring games, but that could be quite do-able with Ray and a potential very good supporting cast.
    I could live with a bunch of high scoring games, and I think the promise of a lot of offence makes casual fans more interested in the Argonauts too.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 6
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    I won't do this for every game but thought I'd post this in here since Game 1 of the 2014 CFL Season featured the double blue. Just a quick look at the offense from Monday night.

http://blog.ridleyscouting.com/Kent_...on_Game_1.html

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rids View Post
    I won't do this for every game but thought I'd post this in here since Game 1 of the 2014 CFL Season featured the double blue. Just a quick look at the offense from Monday night.

Thanks Rids, I hadn't seen all the stats.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rids View Post

Thanks Rids.
    It's always fun to watch the pre season, as these players are giving their all. It's also fun to mentally bet who will make the team, who's out for sure and who is a work in progress. Personally, I'm paying attention to the CIS players .... But that's probably evident from my name ....argo CISter

Don
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks Rids!
    The Argos heavily featured Sinkfield. I think they were most interested in seeing how he would perform in return duties as many believe that they are trying to lessen the load on Chad Owens in that department. He made one really impressive catch were he had to reach out and dive for a ball that was thrown a little bit off target. I think the Argos wanted to feature Robert Gill a little more as well, but be got hurt on the game's first play after making a nice 17-yard catch-and-run. Again, it was nice to see Adjei step up and perform well in this game because many were questioning this pick by Barker several years ago. Of course, playing well in an exhibition game is only part of the battle so we'll see who impresses the coaches in practices.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    I watched the archived game via TSN broadband and was impressed by the Argos' individual play and overall execution in all three phases of play. Apart from too many penalties, overall a very nice effort against a team on the road back to respectability.
    Harris looking very solid, Gale and Paschal some good play too. Paschal, IMO, is a diamond-in-the-rough with all the physical attributes to play QB in our league. Not a bad performance during his baptism of fire.

Running back? As mentioned in the press, Steele is a lock to make the team based upon his ST play. He's also a great goal-line substitution back. He lacks the explosiveness of Johnson and, perhaps, Slaton. I'm very interested in seeing the Slaton - Johnson competition in the final preseason game (against benchmark opposition). It's a shame that only one these fine backs will (I assume) make the team!

Receiver? What an embarrassment of riches of various vintage, and what a contrast to not so very long ago.

I thought the D played reasonably well and look forward to seeing the play vs. Hamilton. Did I actually see a genuine Defensive End or two playing for the Argos?! One individual in the defensive backfield was picked on with some success, it appeared.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Totally forgot to mention Adjei. I was very impressed with the way he played. He's got some good game speed and toughness as I expected him to be slowish from what I had read. He could be another very solid find.

How refreshing has the last few years been with Barker and the gang finding solid players on both sides of the ball. However I'm very impressed by the talent he digs up at rb,qb and receiver. These are spots that the Argonaut organization has struggled with for years and years with the odd exception. We actually lost a qb who we found that our biggest rival wanted as their starter. That's unreal. Hopefully he now struggles in Hamilton. haha.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    Totally forgot to mention Adjei. I was very impressed with the way he played. He's got some good game speed and toughness as I expected him to be slowish from what I had read. He could be another very solid find.

How refreshing has the last few years been with Barker and the gang finding solid players on both sides of the ball. However I'm very impressed by the talent he digs up at rb,qb and receiver. These are spots that the Argonaut organization has struggled with for years and years with the odd exception. We actually lost a qb who we found that our biggest rival wanted as their starter. That's unreal. Hopefully he now struggles in Hamilton. haha.
    I noticed Adjei in rookie camp. Didn't know who he was at first until I checked the hand out sheet. He looks fast and was catching everything thrown his way, thought at first he must be one of the new imports. As you say he is pretty solidly built. We will have to see how it plays out, but I see him at least taking Feoli-Gudino's spot on the roster.
    Feoli by the way made a couple of nice catches for the Bombers the other night.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    I noticed Adjei in rookie camp. Didn't know who he was at first until I checked the hand out sheet. He looks fast and was catching everything thrown his way, thought at first he must be one of the new imports. As you say he is pretty solidly built. We will have to see how it plays out, but I see him at least taking Feoli-Gudino's spot on the roster.
    Feoli by the way made a couple of nice catches for the Bombers the other night.
    Adjei dropped one pass but other than that he looked impressive, certainly better than Watts at the beginning of his career.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    Adjei dropped one pass but other than that he looked impressive, certainly better than Watts at the beginning of his career.
    Watt is 1 year older than Adjei, and is in his 5th year in the CFL. I think Watt was just too smart for his career, and finished his schooling early.... 21. Alot of physical development happens in those early twenties.....Just sayin'

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Was Adjei playing Durie' s spot some of the time?; his one big gainer was on a short pass where he showed quickness to head up field, a la a lot of Durie plays; still a bit early to get real excited about any players (IMO) from limited playing time in one ex. game - I would have been more impressed if Adjei made some difficult catches well down field - if all Adjei can do is take Feoli-Gudino's spot on the roster, that doesn't mean much IMO cause F-G barely played on offence for the Argos; - i'd hope for the best - that he or Pszonczak could push for playing time in the receiving corps or beat out one of Bradwell or Watt for a roster spot. Sinkfield made the one spectacular catch laying out - sign of very good hands i hope.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    It is unwise to make such judgments on the basis of the first ex game of any season. Both teams played vanilla packages and used tons of guys we will never see after next wk. Watt had some good games as a rookie but who knows or cares how well he did in his first ex game that year?

New Fan
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Achievements:
    7 days registered

Level
    Watching Ajdei play well was frustrating for me as a UB fan... We had trouble with depth at receiver and our Coach never put Natey in the game..

http://www.ubbullrun.com/2014/6/10/5...24-winnipeg-22

It's hard to imagine if as a rookie he can catch 4-62 in his opening CFL game that he could not have been very useful in Buffalo... How much time do you guys think he will see with Toronto this year?

Was Adjei playing Durie' s spot some of the time?; his one big gainer was on a short pass where he showed quickness to head up field, a la a lot of Durie plays; still a bit early to get real excited about any players (IMO) from limited playing time in one ex. game - I would have been more impressed if Adjei made some difficult catches well down field - if all Adjei can do is take Feoli-Gudino's spot on the roster, that doesn't mean much IMO cause F-G barely played on offence for the Argos; - i'd hope for the best - that he or Pszonczak could push for playing time in the receiving corps or beat out one of Bradwell or Watt for a roster spot. Sinkfield made the one spectacular catch laying out - sign of very good hands i hope.
    This is true, the question is not "is Adjei better than xyz" but will he do well by Toronto as a third round pick....

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Achievements:

Level
    Sinkfield made the one spectacular catch laying out - sign of very good hands i hope.
    Good hands maybe, but a clumsy runner. He almost tripped over himself on one YAC. Reminded me of Brandon Rideau -- great hands, lousy feet.

Quote Originally Posted by ubbullrun View Post
    Watching Ajdei play well was frustrating for me as a UB fan... We had trouble with depth at receiver and our Coach never put Natey in the game..

http://www.ubbullrun.com/2014/6/10/5...24-winnipeg-22

It's hard to imagine if as a rookie he can catch 4-62 in his opening CFL game that he could not have been very useful in Buffalo... How much time do you guys think he will see with Toronto this year?

This is true, the question is not "is Adjei better than xyz" but will he do well by Toronto as a third round pick....
    Hey ubbullrun, how the Bulls look this year? I was thinking of coming down to see them play Baylor. Is there any chance they won't get killed in that game?

New Fan
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Achievements:
    7 days registered

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Hey ubbullrun, how the Bulls look this year? I was thinking of coming down to see them play Baylor. Is there any chance they won't get killed in that game?
    I think the Baylor game will be like Rocky versus Clubber Lang.... The first fight....

UB got killed last year and that was with seven players currently in NFL camps, and one lost CFL'r.. I know Baylor lost a lot but that's going to be a game I need to drink my way through. I guess with it being a friday night on ESPN the school is going to try to make it an event but if the Bulls are still in teh game at the half I will be amazed.

We play enough cupcakes that if you want to see a UB win there is ample opportunity (Norfolk state comes to mind) but I think a better idea might be to pick your trip around the weather and the pregame tailgate concert. Make a day of it...

Honestly it might be worth it to buy seasons tickets and just go when you have time and the weather is nice.

http://www.ubbulls.com/sports/fball/...20140204b6i3m3

* country star Easton Corbin will kick things off on Aug. 30 before the Bulls host Duquesne.
    * September 13 Joe Nichols will perform pregame before the Bulls host national-power Baylor.
    * On September 20, '90s alternative rockers the Spin Doctors will entertain the crowd before the Bulls take on Norfolk State.
    * The 27th is Homecoming Tailgate Concert Series: Three Dog Night
    * November 11th is home against Akron (Tuesday) Tailgate Concert Series: Frankie Ballard

It's 100$ for seven tickets but the only downside is that two of those games are midweek evenings.. The reason I say "might as well get season tickets" is because the Baylor game single tickets are 50$ by themselves while the other game tickets are 20$ each. So really if you do Baylor and any other two games you save money with season tickets.

Here is the teams ticket brouchoue

http://static.psbin.com/9/o/tbe0ms44...ure_Poster.pdf

Im considering taking a trip up to Winnipeg for my first CFL game this year (I live in MN) I just have to get the wife on board...
    Last edited by ubbullrun; 06-12-2014 at 05:03 PM.