Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    As a former TV newsboy, I'd like to throw in my two cents. The advent of social media and 24 hr news channels has changed the way "news" is covered or maybe a better word would be, perceived. There's just not enough real news to fill 24 hours of programming, which is why you see so much of the vile infotainment, and celebrity gossip masquerading as news.

Everybody here, pro and con has made good points. I used to get in trouble because I didn't buy into the then journalism ethic, especially with the CBC crowd. But she's a whole different ball game today, I don't think I could stand it (what poses as news these days)

I love to listen to the interviews at the Archive of American Television with the former reporters, news writers and producers. My era bridged the gap between them and what we have today but if I had my druthers I'd have preferred to be part of their era.

It's truly sad how superficial and dumbed down much (not all) of society has become. Oh yeah, football, covering all day of training camp...wouldn't happen.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    I would have assumed that all of Toronto's major papers were unionized. Which is the exception, Paul? The Post?
    That is correct.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by rdavies View Post
    As a former TV newsboy, I'd like to throw in my two cents. The advent of social media and 24 hr news channels has changed the way "news" is covered or maybe a better word would be, perceived. There's just not enough real news to fill 24 hours of programming, which is why you see so much of the vile infotainment, and celebrity gossip masquerading as news.

Everybody here, pro and con has made good points. I used to get in trouble because I didn't buy into the then journalism ethic, especially with the CBC crowd. But she's a whole different ball game today, I don't think I could stand it (what poses as news these days)

I love to listen to the interviews at the Archive of American Television with the former reporters, news writers and producers. My era bridged the gap between them and what we have today but if I had my druthers I'd have preferred to be part of their era.

It's truly sad how superficial and dumbed down much (not all) of society has become. Oh yeah, football, covering all day of training camp...wouldn't happen.

I don't see why TSN - as the big CFL broadcaster - could not have a couple of crews revolving around CFL TCs with at least an hour (or more) show - EVERY DAY - of CFL TC time - to give in depth reporting on the CFL to help fans get ready for the season?

The CFL has , for years, if not decades, suffered from lack of quality reporting, disrespect & negative slant reporting or else has been downright ignored by much of the Canadian sports media (who love to fawn all over anything NHL or hockey) - just IMO. Time for some change ? - ooops, too late for this year; maybe next year?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Thanks for the instruction, which I won't follow. Journalism is about reporting information that matters. Who catches a few passes on the second day of training camp is generally not in that category. It's nice to know but is not in the need-to-know category under any reasonable definition of news.
    I, by no means, was trying to give you "instruction". If your interpretation of my comments caused you some upset, I do apologize. ....and thank you for the brief introductory lesson to Journalism 101. I know that you have decades of experience in this field, and I respect both your experience and your ethics of journalism. However, my comment was not about journalism per se nor about "any reasonable definition of news"; I was speaking purely of the exposure or lack of exposure of the Argos in TO newspapers, whether in quality news (need-to-know) or pure 'fluff'. Exposure creates interest whether it is "information that matters" or not.
    One oar still in the water !

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Gap-Willie View Post
    I was speaking purely of the exposure or lack of exposure of the Argos in TO newspapers, whether in quality news (need-to-know) or pure 'fluff'. Exposure creates interest whether it is "information that matters" or not.
    I agree that exposure creates interest. But the media are under no obligation to provide exposure to the to the Argos or any other commercial venture.

Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Achievements:

Level
    But the media are under no obligation to provide exposure to the to the Argos or any other commercial venture.
    That was probably one of the few journalistic tenets I followed. Is this a commercial? If it remotely resembles that, we don't cover it.

Here's how low things have got in the news biz. I'm watching regional network coverage of the tragedy in Moncton. I'm used to inexperienced kids reading the news now, but I usually hope that the news editor has enough brains to guide them.

Well today on one newscast (I'm reluctant to call it that) these dopey kids didn't have enough brains or respect to dress appropriately the morning after the tragedy. The male was wearing an open necked shirt under his jacket (no tie) and the woman had on a wild floral print.

The last time I saw (heard) something so stupid was when I just started in Thunder Bay and there was a promo for the movie the Seven Percent Solution where Sherlock Holmes meets Dr Sigmund Frood (sic) (rhymes with food) To think how many people heard that promo before it aired and didn't know how to pronounce Freud just made me shake my head. And it's gotten worse.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Achievements:

Level
    It must have been a very short discussion, about a few now rather vague old memories.

It is very much worth reporting, since it builds fan interest and some hype. Get over it - the Argos are "newsworthy" in all aspects, if we hope to grow the fan base.
    Can we add media base too ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    I don't see why TSN - as the big CFL broadcaster - could not have a couple of crews revolving around CFL TCs with at least an hour (or more) show - EVERY DAY - of CFL TC time - to give in depth reporting on the CFL to help fans get ready for the season?

The CFL has , for years, if not decades, suffered from lack of quality reporting, disrespect & negative slant reporting or else has been downright ignored by much of the Canadian sports media (who love to fawn all over anything NHL or hockey) - just IMO. Time for some change ? - ooops, too late for this year; maybe next year?

Couldn't agree more.
    I have also been surprised with the lack of stories from the various camps.
    All we get is the voice over from the in studio host and some interviews no doubt obtained by the local TV station.
    Instead of the traditional 2-3 minutes worth, most are running under a minute.
    How sad.
    Of course I forgot, hockey, hockey and more hockey is a must!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    I wonder if the Stanley Cup playoffs ended in early May, when it should since the season is way too long, if CFL training camp would get more media attention.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    The more I think about it, the more I'm pissed in the Argos themselves. Let's face it, nobody buys papers anymore, most of it is read on line. The Argos own website is useless in terms of updating the progress of players in camp. Let's be honest, during training camp, the website should have at least 5 stories a day on their own website. We usually get one, and it rarely talks about competition at any positions. It's always the same stuff..Ricky Ray was on target in practice today..blah blah blah. Captain Obvious can write these types of stories. Why should anyone promote them, if they are not willing to promote themselves?
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Boatman
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Driving home from work the other day listening to the radio (I don't get much of a selection east of London), so I had PTS with Jeff Blair & his flunkies on for a few minutes. Discussion was about Championships in the city of Toronto...I was infuriated but not surprised that the Argos were not even a part of the discussion. Honestly I don't understand.
    You understand. Anti-TSN via the CFL is Rogers corporate policy. Plain and simple.
    Rogers sucks. Bombers Suck. Visit www.ticatfans.com

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    The more I think about it, the more I'm pissed in the Argos themselves. Let's face it, nobody buys papers anymore, most of it is read on line. The Argos own website is useless in terms of updating the progress of players in camp. Let's be honest, during training camp, the website should have at least 5 stories a day on their own website. We usually get one, and it rarely talks about competition at any positions. It's always the same stuff..Ricky Ray was on target in practice today..blah blah blah. Captain Obvious can write these types of stories. Why should anyone promote them, if they are not willing to promote themselves?
    This is a good point. Teams in the NFL and other major sports hire journalists to write in-depth about the team and give them the freedom to do it largely unfettered. A good reporter for the team website could easily file multiple stories a day during camp, and one or two a day during the season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    This is a good point. Teams in the NFL and other major sports hire journalists to write in-depth about the team and give them the freedom to do it largely unfettered. A good reporter for the team website could easily file multiple stories a day during camp, and one or two a day during the season.
    Is Don Landry not employed by the Argos? Perhaps they don't pay him for any more than one column a week though.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Is Don Landry not employed by the Argos? Perhaps they don't pay him for any more than one column a week though.
    I believe Don is a freelance journalist...he is employed by the Argos an the stadium PA man for sure.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Don works in radio in London. He does some writing for argos and cfl.ca, but is not available to do the type of daily reporting that AV suggested is needed.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Don works in radio in London. He does some writing for argos and cfl.ca, but is not available to do the type of daily reporting that AV suggested is needed.
    I guess that the master promoter Braley doesn't want to spend the money on someone who will do that type of reporting.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Level
    I guess that the master promoter Braley doesn't want to spend the money on someone who will do that type of reporting.
    It's easy to knock Braley, but he is not the problem. The complete lack of an actual involved owner is the problem. Braley is really only the banker for the Argos.
    Perhaps the money is not there, or perhaps the money that is available is poorly allocated, or perhaps their in-house resources are not adequate to the task. We should ask Chris Rudge about these things, or does he still work for the Argos ?
    Last edited by D-Gap-Willie; 06-09-2014 at 08:15 AM.
    One oar still in the water !

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Achievements:

Level
    ......... We should ask Chris Rudge about these things, or does he still work for the Argos ?
    I believe he still does , as he was on TSN 1050 on sat afternoon. ...... I have always wondered if he even gets paid ....much.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argocister View Post
    I believe he still does , as he was on TSN 1050 on sat afternoon. ...... I have always wondered if he even gets paid ....much.
    Should he not have attended Fan Day?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Does any team in the CFL do what I suggested, though? I haven't looked at each team's website lately but I strongly suspect most news content on most sites is generated by arrangements with legitimate sources such as Canadian Press, PR staff or volunteers such as the Argo Admirals. The paid-but-otherwise-independent reporting staff that would be ideal, IMO, works in the NFL's financial atmosphere but I don't know how doable it is in the CFL.