Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Area 51 View Post
    After this year the league will have paid off Braley with about $25 million in the past two year's worth of Grey Cup revenue, so things should be square with Braley. He'll have no use for the Argos beyond 2012, since it'll be a few years at least until the Grey Cup money-machine returns to Toronto.

Rogers owns every other Toronto sports team -- they even own the Toronto Rock - - so it makes sense for them to also add the Argos. Especially when they'll be able to pick it up for next to nothing. Not exactly "nothing" as in zero dollars like Braley paid, because the old senator will still need one more golden handshake after the Grey Cup looting is done. Maybe a million or two?

As delusional as the current MLSE ownership group is, they surely realize by now that the NFL has no interest in coming to Toronto. Even in his nondescript Super Bowl presser, Goodall basically said there no way Toronto gets a team. I'm sure behind closed doors he's clearly told the Toronto group to FRO with their NFL dreams. So the only way for MLSE to get football content is to bring the Argos on board.
    Mr. Braley is only in this for the money? You can't be serious? He lost a reported $20 million in his first 8 years of Lions ownership. He has broke-even or turned a small profit since then. Yes, the recent Grey Cup in Vancouver was a huge money-maker with profits doubling any previous Cup. Ditto GreyCup100. But I highly doubt that is Braley's motivation for owning two CFL teams. Without him buying the Lions in 1998 the team would have likely folded (a 7-team league?). Without him buying the Argos the league would have been forced to operate the franchise...and beg somebody to buy them. Bell, Rogers, MLSE all took a pass (and will miss out on $10-$15 million profits on the Grey Cup.)

We should not forget that Bell/TSN/Rogers (and probably MLSE) are huge NFL-backers in Canada. Bell is largely using the huge CFL TV audiences to promote their NFL games (but with very little CFL cross-promotion during their NFL broadcasts). While the NFL is not planning to put a team in Toronto at this time, there is still tons of money to be made from the NFL in Canada. The conglomerates might make $20 million on the CFL broadcasts, but could earn $40 million on NFL games (despite lower ratings the NFL ads cost more). If Toronto were to ever land an NFL team (eg. economic downturn in the U.S. or if the NFL wanted to grow their market and expand internationally, where better than Toronto?) the NFL games could earn $100 million or more to the broadcasters. The mere existence of the CFL/Argos is an impediment for a NFL team to gain the hearts of local football fans (over 50% of southern Ontario football fans prefer Canadian football and more follow the CFL than the NFL, according to recent surveys).

Despite Gooddell's wishy-washy pronouncements, we should not discount the NFL's lure to the Toronto sports media monopolies. They've had plenty of opportunity to support the CFL, but have done nothing but throw barbs in their path (like Rogers pronouncements they were withdrawing all sponsorship of the CFL and they won't be bidding for the TV rights in 2013, ect). Thanks for nothing. Rogers and MLSE are the last people on the planet I would ever want running the Argos (into the ground).
    Last edited by Invader; 02-20-2012 at 12:17 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by shayman View Post
    Sure would be nice to know what the story is with our weird Monday August 27 game. The Jays are on the road from Mon Aug 20 to Wed Aug 29. So why wasn't the stadium available Thursday, Friday or Saturday? Is something else going on at Skydome or is Rogers just being difficult?
    I wonder what would happen if you called the Rogers Centre and enquired about booking the field for a "corporate baseball game" on, say, Saturday Aug 25 as discussed here.

http://www.rogerscentre.com/corporat...p_baseball.jsp

Wouldn't it be interesting to find out if the stadium was available.
    Faster + Louder = Better

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 216
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    I highly doubt Rogers is giving the Argos the boot after the Grey Cup, 1. it's bad P.R and 2. they also need time to design how its all going to work. Let alone the time they would need to actually make it all happen. If Rogers does actually intend on making the Skydome baseball specific, the Argos in theory have 2-5 years to figure something out.
    Rogers would have no issue's kicking the Argos out at the end of the season. This is a company that plastered a huge photo on the side of their building of another leagues QB ( very few Argo fans complained). This is a company that over the last 3 years have provided the Argos with 12 dates to pick their 10 games. This is a company who has poured millions into another league, while providing the CFL and Argos will little to no support. This is a company who has called having the Argos as a tenant a nuisance. Everyone knows, that if you go to a Jays game with 18,000 people, most of the concession are opened, the bar carts are everywhere and food vendor walk the area. Go to that same 18,000 Argo game and what happens. Food concession are closed, you have to line up for hours for a beer and the list could go on and on. Rogers has tested the PR fallout from treating the Argos like shi& and found there is little or no push back from the fans. argo fans just sit there and take it for the most part. One thing i will give TFC fans, they organize as a group. There is power in numbers. Argo fans need to start doing this. However Rogers will have NO PR concerns if they kick the Argos out in 2012. Big Phil will sign off and it and not lose one once of sleep over it

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by flutie02 View Post
    Rogers would have no issue's kicking the Argos out at the end of the season. This is a company that plastered a huge photo on the side of their building of another leagues QB ( very few Argo fans complained). This is a company that over the last 3 years have provided the Argos with 12 dates to pick their 10 games. This is a company who has poured millions into another league, while providing the CFL and Argos will little to no support. This is a company who has called having the Argos as a tenant a nuisance. Everyone knows, that if you go to a Jays game with 18,000 people, most of the concession are opened, the bar carts are everywhere and food vendor walk the area. Go to that same 18,000 Argo game and what happens. Food concession are closed, you have to line up for hours for a beer and the list could go on and on. Rogers has tested the PR fallout from treating the Argos like shi& and found there is little or no push back from the fans. argo fans just sit there and take it for the most part. One thing i will give TFC fans, they organize as a group. There is power in numbers. Argo fans need to start doing this. However Rogers will have NO PR concerns if they kick the Argos out in 2012. Big Phil will sign off and it and not lose one once of sleep over it
    Well then I suppose by your logic and including the fact that the Bills in Toronto series most likely will continue, Rogers will be booting the Argos out after the 100th Grey Cup. Looks like both the Ticats and Argos will be homeless for the 2013 season. As for the fan-base, the Argos have a relatively weak fan-base and a lot of closet fans, it kind of hard to make noise when there's only 108 fans on the forum. So I suppose the critics are right the Argos shouldn't exist in Toronto anymore, we're clearly not wanted.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 216
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    Well then I suppose by your logic and including the fact that the Bills in Toronto series most likely will continue, Rogers will be booting the Argos out after the 100th Grey Cup. Looks like both the Ticats and Argos will be homeless for the 2013 season. As for the fan-base, the Argos have a relatively weak fan-base and a lot of closet fans, it kind of hard to make noise when there's only 108 fans on the forum. So I suppose the critics are right the Argos shouldn't exist in Toronto anymore, we're clearly not wanted.
    HOw about getting some of the 800,000 people who watch the Argos every week on TV, lots coming from the GTA, to make some noise about stuff like this. That the issue, there is lots of Argo fans in the GTA, there just to quiet. If you go by TV ratings the Argos have the second highest fan base in T.O

Don
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by flutie02 View Post
    HOw about getting some of the 800,000 people who watch the Argos every week on TV, lots coming from the GTA, to make some noise about stuff like this. That the issue, there is lots of Argo fans in the GTA, there just to quiet. If you go by TV ratings the Argos have the second highest fan base in T.O
    How do we find that which doesn't want to be found?
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Achievements:
    Level
    So the Bills were going to play at Skydome on Sun Aug 26, and the Argos on Mon Aug 27. But now the Bills game has been moved back to Buffalo -

http://www.thestar.com/sports/footba...o-buffalo?bn=1

I wonder if the Argos bizarre Monday game can be moved back to Saturday now with the Bills out of the way.
    Faster + Louder = Better

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 328
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by shayman View Post
    I wonder if the Argos bizarre Monday game can be moved back to Saturday now with the Bills out of the way.
    That would make a lot of sense.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 391
    Achievements:
    Level
    I was just thinking the same thing. I sent my Argos rep an email asking if the game could be moved to the Friday, Saturday, or Sunday of that weekend. Perhaps other people could do the same.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    If you believe Keith Pelley, the Bills could have played at SkyDome on Sunday the 26th so the Argo game could potentially be moved to that day at least. I would imagine that the Saturday would be available too as the NFL teams would have been allowed a walk-through on that day. As long as TSN is okay with a scheduling change, there shouldn't be any reason that the Argo game can't be moved up a day or two.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    If you believe Keith Pelley, the Bills could have played at SkyDome on Sunday the 26th so the Argo game could potentially be moved to that day at least. I would imagine that the Saturday would be available too as the NFL teams would have been allowed a walk-through on that day. As long as TSN is okay with a scheduling change, there shouldn't be any reason that the Argo game can't be moved up a day or two.
    First: You are right. It should be possible. The CFL and Argos have to get on it (TODAY! Highest priority possible) and not let it slide or Rogers will fill that date with another event (and get all the blame naturally)

Second: How dare you state "If you believe Keith Pelley"

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level

Argo's in BC - SATURDAY SEPT 15th - 4PM (BC time)

Hmmm....so the Argo's are playing the Lions on Sept 15th/2012. Me and my hunny Lil Bec are getting married that same day in Vancouver. (where she is originally from).

So, im asking some advise from my fellow Argofans....

Our service is at 1pm, the game is at 4pm....that gives us alittle less than 3 hours for dancing and food, then we could kinda have a mini honeymoon at the game.

Is it worth suggesting, would it cause me an instant death? or maybe just some big screens in the reception hall would be better?

I dont want to be rude by wearing headphone's with the radio on, listening to the game during the reception, so..idea's..i need idea's
    MakeArgonautsGreatAgain, 2021

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 344
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argonaut11xx View Post
    Hmmm....so the Argo's are playing the Lions on Sept 15th/2012. Me and my hunny Lil Bec are getting married that same day in Vancouver. (where she is originally from).

So, im asking some advise from my fellow Argofans....

Our service is at 1pm, the game is at 4pm....that gives us alittle less than 3 hours for dancing and food, then we could kinda have a mini honeymoon at the game.

Is it worth suggesting, would it cause me an instant death? or maybe just some big screens in the reception hall would be better?

I dont want to be rude by wearing headphone's with the radio on, listening to the game during the reception, so..idea's..i need idea's
    I wasn't allowed to attend the home game the day before my wedding. I missed 3 games in 2010 because of it! (Engagement photos, Wedding and Honeymoon)

Can always suggest, depends on how you planned your wedding.

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Arm of Law

Level
    Who plans their wedding during the season?!? I wouldn't commit to a date till the schedule came out. My husband thinks I'm nuts.

Banned
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argomANIA View Post
    Who plans their wedding during the season?!? I wouldn't commit to a date till the schedule came out. My husband thinks I'm nuts.
    Ya, but you are.

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Arm of Law

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    Ya, but you are.
    What are you my work husband now?

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    My wife and I are both serious CFL fans so I can't even relate. We'd be at the game at 4pm. Switch your wedding to Sunday or have the wedding party at the game. Schedule the dancing, party and dinner for after the game. The game will be over by 7pm. Everyone will be happy. Plus this is the year that Toronto will finally have their first win in Vancouver since the summer of 02. They have to win here once before we move back to Ontario.
    Remember the wedding is your day too!!!! haha. Marriage is all about two people and both of their needs and you need to be at the game. haha.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 215
    Achievements:

Level
    ​Do not like the mid week games ; Mon , Wed , Thurs . The Fri , Sat & Sun games were by far the most accessible .

Don
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyice View Post
    ​Do not like the mid week games ; Mon , Wed , Thurs . The Fri , Sat & Sun games were by far the most accessible .

From Sarnia, I definitely bet that weekend games are the most accessible for you. If we've established one thing it's that many Argo fans are coming from outside the 416. The question is whether they're coming in from inner 905 suburbs such as Peel, Southern York and Western Durham or whether there are people having to come in from Northern York, Eastern Durham and beyond. We've already got a fair number of people on this site living in places like Belleville, Bowmanville and Stratford.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 114
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoFan1 View Post
    That Monday night August 27th is the real head scratcher !!! Never recall ever having a Monday game when it wasn't a holiday. This is probably a first for the history of the entire league. Now I will have to miss my championship night in my summer hockey league. Argos always come first !!! Haven't missed a home game in more than 20 years !!
    And why a season ending Thursday night game when the Jays never play in November? I think this will be my last year as a Seasons Ticket holder. I've had enough, every year the same damn thing. Due to the need to find a new job and the unlikelihood of being able to leave a new job early enough to catch weeknight games like I've had to do so many times in the past I'm gonna waste many of my tickets I suppose. My 14 year streak comes to a grinding halt.

Sad thing is I'm not even angry. I just don't care anymore. I can't even make it to the home opener this year since I already have plans...figures the rare time it's not a Thursday opener and I can't make it, go figure.