New Fan
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points31 days registered

Level

The argos care less about the fans

Im really frustrated with the way the Argos treat their fans
    1) Chad Owens gear should be sold and made. maybe a Chad Owens Fan Club?
    2) Why the heck isnt there EVER give aways at the games- WHAT DO THEY OFFER FANS???
    3- the PRE GAME parties ARE AWFUL- you go to Montreal and you see a huge blast and every single cheerleader is outside
    unlike the Toronto gals.
    4) Does anyone know if on the field will be allowed this season? at least give the fans a chance to get autographs
    think about it, there isnt one opportunity to meet the players unless you go to the bar after

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I agree that things have become pretty embarrassing. Hopefully there will be a sale sooner rather than later, and things will change for the better. It's obvious Braley did what he could to keep the team afloat, but in reality, he and everyone else wish their was an alternative. I do thank him for doing what he did, buy we need to get someone that will make the Argos more relevant to the non die hards, or at least do everything possible.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    If anybody's interested, awhile back I counted down the pros and cons since Braley & Rudge took helm. Don't want to sound like a former member who is known to bash our CEO and President.

1) Stable Ownership & Saving The Franchise

Before Braley, the Argos have had plenty of short-stint owners since the sale from Carling O’Keefe in 1988. Braley actually funded C&S’ purchase of the Argos in 2004 and has also covered their losses. The Argos have never made much of a profit, if any at all in the last few years. Braley did make a hefty profit during the 2012 Grey Cup, earning up to $10 million. One scary thought is that Braley plans to sell one or both of his teams by his 75th birthday in 2016 but the newly run MLSE look to be the front runners with a potential deal being made soon. If true, MLSE will continue being stable owners. Braley did save the team from going bust so we can thank him for that.

2) Successful 2012 Grey Cup Festival

The 100th Grey Cup Festival was named the Canadian Sport Event of the Year for 2012 as voted by the Canadian Sport Tourism Alliance (CSTA). A CFL.ca article writes, “The 100th Grey Cup Festival was an Invitation to Our Nation that transcended “beer and football” uniting Canadians from coast-to-coast in Toronto for a nine-day, ten-night festival which encompassed more than 50 events ranging from traditional team parties, galas and player awards to a football film festival and family fun zone at great venues including the Metro Toronto Convention Centre, Yonge-Dundas Square and Nathan Phillips Square. Complete with street closures, extensive free-to-the-public entertainment and activities and youth programs, the 100th Grey Cup was a sport and cultural celebration that attracted in excess of 300,000 people.” Braley also cashed in, may be the first and only time he made a profit as owner.

3) New Rogers Centre Lease

This may be seen as bad thing for some but a final deal was made between the old Sky Dome and the Argos. The final license agreement will expire in 2017, with an option to exit earlier but cannot be extended, as the Blue Jays have plans to install grass. At least we’re not homeless!

4) A Winning Football Team

Scott Milanovich turned the Argos down before citing unstable ownership as his reason. Once everything straightened out, Milo become the HC and won a Grey Cup in his first year as an Argo. Barker has also done a fine job recruiting talent but just a note that Barker was apart of the organization before Braley and Rudge.

5) School Day Preseason Game

36,214 attended a pre-season game to watch the Argonauts beat Montreal on a Tuesday afternoon. Mostly school children, the game was a good initiative to promote the CFL to the younger demographic, even offering them and their families a discount if they choose to attend a regular season game. No one is really sure if it was successful in drawing in new fans but I applaud the effort.

6) Return to Varsity Stadium

I consider this a fluke but I did enjoy watching the Argos play outdoors at home for the first time in decades. The team really had no days available at the Rogers Centre so one staff member proposed Varsity and the rest is history. Note: It was 55 years since a CFL game was last played at Varsity. I sure hope the game didn’t disturb any nearby Annex residents.

7) Continued Community Support

Huddle Up Bullying Prevention, Level the Playing Field , & Argo-Cise have all done wonders in the community. I specially like Level the Playing Field, where the Argos support bringing back or creating new football programs to high schools in Toronto. The Argos are no longer involved with a past initiative called Stop the Violence.

8) Argos on Social Media

The Argos twitter page is very informative but still lacks detail. The Toronto media does not the cover the Argos as much as the other cities do to their respected team. Their really is no Argos beat writer so the Argos on social media have done a fine job but I always do expect more from them. More video, more interviews, more behind the scenes stuff is needed for fans like myself. I really enjoy watching Stamps TV and hopefully Argos TV will play a bigger role in 2014. it’s nice to see them cover Argos mini-camp, which was buried in the local news and most are probably not even aware of it taking place.
    That’s all I could really think of on the positive side. Not very great is it?
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Now for the cons:

1) There Still Is A Lack Of Marketing

Has anyone ever seen any marketing from the Argos from 2010 until now? There are a few ads out there but it’s mostly TSN from what I can see. We did have a controversial “Home is where the heart it is, its also where we hurt people” subway ad featuring Ricky Foley but that came before Rudge and it sure didn’t bring any fans in. Argos merchandise is also rare to find these days, outside of the Jays shop of course. The Argonauts online shop isn’t very exciting either.

2) No New Stadium

Braley will not spend money on a new stadium. While he says he’s looking into various locations in the GTA, as well as funding but as an temporary owner, its quite clear that this will never happen. We could be homeless by 2017 but if the stars align, the Argos will be shared tenants with TFC at BMO. Those in the loop know Braley is just bluffing about a new potential stadium and will not build us one in a million years. He’s just looking to strike a deal soon.

3) No New Practice Facilities

The Argos and their fans have been complaining about UTM for quite awhile. On the outside, it looks very unprofessional to have the oldest pro football team practice next to a bunch of portables for a locker-room with a barley maintained grass field. Then the portables caught fire and Braley and Rudge were discussing a new Training Facility, which never happened. The Argos stayed at UTM and then skedaddled to various nearby high-schools. It seems, the team finally got kicked out of UTM after many years and have announced that 2014 Training Camp will be held at York University, with no word where the team will practice during the season. Once again, if MLSE is involved, expect them to practice at Downsview.

4) Less Fan Activities

Ever since Rudge got involved, whether he’s to blame or not, there have been less opportunities for fans to interact with another. What I mean is, the Argos no longer have “See You On The Field” after home games, which is a favourite for the younger fans (which we desperately need) but the Rogers Centre may be at fault for this one. The Argos no longer have a 50% discount at the stadium store/kiosks on the last home game, also known as Fan Appreciation Night. It also looks as if Rudge & Braley completely removed the fan favourite – locker room sale. Every team in the CFL had one this season except for the Argos. Since 2012 the Argos did not sell any merchandise (specifically game-worn) after the season with the exception of unsold Grey Cup gear in 2012, which doesn’t count in my opinion as a locker room sale. This also may not be entirely the fault of management but there was no Fan Day scheduled in 2013, with UTM maybe playing a role. They did however schedule one in for 2014 at York University.

5) Declining Attendance

Here are the numbers. Despite a better team, a championship winning team, the Argos attendance did not jump as one would have thought for 2013. Horrible home schedules in the past couple seasons ( I blame Rogers) have surely not helped. 2012 saw a little increase after a horrendous 2011 season but then decreased after the GC win. You would think Toronto fans would go crazy to finally watch a championship winning team.
    2009 (before Braley) – Avg: 26,374 , Record: 3-15
    2010 (beginning of Braley era) – Avg: 22,069 , Record: 9-9
    2011 – Avg: 20,017 , Record: 6-12
    2012 (Rudge’s 1st season) – Avg: 23,689 , Record: 9-9 & GC Champs
    2013 (post GC victory) – Avg: 21,926 , Record: 11-7

6) Failed Ethnic Nights

The GTA is very multicultural, I get it but the ethnic nights haven’t really done much for attendance or spreading the word out to these communities. Perhaps signing the next Normie Kwong or Obby Khan may do the trick. I found these ethnic nights to be very poorly organized and it’s usually a crowd of 10 or so people.

7) Half-Time Shows That No One Cares For

Remember the no name rapper at the Varisty pre-season game with the big costume head? No one will buy tickets to watch the half-time show so you can stop bringing in guys like Karl Wolf, Rock Tenors, Maestro etc. Bring back the dog show! I do respect the fact they try to bring in local artists but it’s not going to draw in any new fans in the seats.

8) Argo Fan Surveys

The team invested in and developed a fan survey to capture the demographics of it’s fans. A lot of fans did not receive or know of the survey. A lot of the questions weren’t very useful in my opinion and they could have done so much more in finding out why fans don’t attend the games in person.

9) Lack Of Tradition.

Firstly, the Argonauts organization does not use the Argonotes enough. Seriously, does anyone even know the Argo fight song by Dal Richards? Other than honouring the Grey Cup Champs in 1983 and the year before with the 1971 team, there is not enough alumni events. A lot of alumni who I have talked to, have not been to game in years. Why can’t the Argos organize some sort of arrangement to have transported to games and honour them before the game. They don’t need their number retired or their name in the rafters but show some clips of the players who most fans have either forgotten or never knew they even existed. Bring back the boat logo more often, more retro merchandise, more retro jerseys etc. Those were when the Argos had packed stadiums so bring back some nostalgia and those who went as a kid, may come back to a few to games.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

New Fan
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 165
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Season ticket holders can no longer exchange pre-season tickets as part of the "advance ticket exchange" benefit.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by wewantthecup View Post
    Season ticket holders can no longer exchange pre-season tickets as part of the "advance ticket exchange" benefit.
    In their defense on that one, there is a bonus ticket that can be redeemed for any game in the ST package. There wasn't last year.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    6) Failed Ethnic Nights

The GTA is very multicultural, I get it but the ethnic nights haven’t really done much for attendance or spreading the word out to these communities. Perhaps signing the next Normie Kwong or Obby Khan may do the trick. I found these ethnic nights to be very poorly organized and it’s usually a crowd of 10 or so people.
    Interesting - I didn't know that the team was trying this. I think the concept is sound, but I agree that it needs to be done properly. Perhaps Jaskaran Dhillon will be helpful in this regard. There was already one article in The Star drawing attention to his ethnicity.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Just before I opened this page I ripped the two bring a friend coupons from our seasons to give to someone today to take his son. Both are huge sports fans who live in Peterborough but have never been to an Argos game. The father is a great guy who runs a local pet food supply store. He was very excited last week when I told him I'd give them the coupons. That's a great give away by the team but I agree that the Argonauts have never been able to market themselves properly. They never had to during the CNE days and have never really been able to do a great job since 89 with a few exceptions. Toronto has to be the marketing capital of Canada and yet they just float by not using this resource which is right on hand.

I agree that ethnic themed nights should be tried and continued year after year. You can't just make it a one time thing. Bring in some big Bollywood talent for halftime for example. This would get Indians to the game. Target the largest ethnic populations. No point in having a night for a country who only has ten of it's people living in the GTA. Instead of Argos pictured in uniforms on the tickets have them pictured in clothing or with props from the various countries. I'd love to see someone dressed like a Ukrainian dancer. Done right it would look fun and not like mocking or cheesy.

You have to try everything. Be inclusive and have a Pride Night.

Everyone wants to feel like they are being thought of and appreciated.

Hopefully things change if we ever have an owner who gives a crap about this team.

Banned
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    Be inclusive and have a Pride Night.
    Ya, you can be rest assured that Rob Ford will show up for that night! ; )

Boatman
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    My hope is that they don't screw up the tailgate that is planned for a few(????) games only. You could buy beer for $5 at the start of the tailgate games then they cut the cheap beer guys out and had staff from the Center selling beer at $10 bucks. Come'on don't try to make money all the time. Get Molson or Labatts sell decent beer at $4 and lets party. The saying goes"you don't need to drink to have fun" but at the Roger center you do.

Things like this are planned all over. Weddings do the liquor licence thing all the time. Stop making it out like it is a pain and BIG deal to put on.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRedneck View Post
    My hope is that they don't screw up the tailgate that is planned for a few(????) games only. You could buy beer for $5 at the start of the tailgate games then they cut the cheap beer guys out and had staff from the Center selling beer at $10 bucks. Come'on don't try to make money all the time. Get Molson or Labatts sell decent beer at $4 and lets party. The saying goes"you don't need to drink to have fun" but at the Roger center you do.

Things like this are planned all over. Weddings do the liquor licence thing all the time. Stop making it out like it is a pain and BIG deal to put on.
    Im sure that the new owners of Skydome would not let the Argo's get a liquor licence on Skydome property.

That said, i still dont understand why the Argo's havent partnered up with Steamwhistle, and set up a "beer garden", on the property right across the road. If they set up a few tents/BBQ's, and did it for each and every home game, i bet it would be a great "tailgate alternative"...
    MakeArgonautsGreatAgain, 2021

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:

Level
    Steamwhistle will have you steaming from your lower whistle.

Miss my Howe Sound Rail Nut Brown Ale, Lighthouse Keeper Stout and Van Isle Brewery, Sea Dog Red Ale. Thankfully I can get my mitts on Church Key's multiple great beers.

Perhaps liquor and handgun night would bring em in.

Banned
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    Perhaps liquor and handgun night would bring em in.
    Ya, you can be rest assured that Rob Ford will show up for that night!!!!!!

Boatman
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argonaut11xx View Post
    Im sure that the new owners of Skydome would not let the Argo's get a liquor licence on Skydome property.

That said, i still dont understand why the Argo's havent partnered up with Steamwhistle, and set up a "beer garden", on the property right across the road. If they set up a few tents/BBQ's, and did it for each and every home game, i bet it would be a great "tailgate alternative"...
    The Roger center does allow the Argos to get a liquor licence already. All the tailgate events they have had on the property (gate 11 area) have required a licence. Hence the fenced in area. It is a requirement with the liquor licence. The argos are only doing that for 3 games this year. It seems that the Argos view the extra work as not worth it. Steamwhistle is perfect, but the Argos don't want the extra hassel it appears.

New Fan
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points31 days registered

Level
    BY THE WAY THE TAILGATE PARTIES ARE WORTHLESS and BORING, THE ARGOS PUT 0 EFFORT IN,
    GO TO MONTREAL TO SEE AN INCREDIBLE PARTY

Banned
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by dans41 View Post
    BY THE WAY THE TAILGATE PARTIES ARE WORTHLESS and BORING, THE ARGOS PUT 0 EFFORT IN,
    GO TO MONTREAL TO SEE AN INCREDIBLE PARTY
    Personally I think something is better than nothing. Unfortunately it is very difficult now to have an organic tailgate run by fans as there is very little space to do so. The Montreal tailgate is impressive, I've gone the past 3 years when they faced the Argos.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Great pro and con summary, ArgoGabe22. Thanks.

Boatman
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Shouldnt it be "Argos Couldn't Care Less ?"
    Rogers sucks. Bombers Suck. Visit www.ticatfans.com

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 723
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    This thread has Cpt Archer written all over it.

New Fan
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Achievements:
    7 days registered

Level
    I know one of the gripes that Bills fans had about Toronto was the pregame atmosphere...