Final Score: 15-48
    Last edited by T-Bone; 07-06-2014 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Post-Game Update

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I see CFRB 1010 is going to carry Sask/Tor game for TSN this Saturday if T-Bone is correct. That would bring back a lot of memories. I became an Argo fan listening as a kid to the Argo games on CFRB. Wes McKnight followed by Bill Stephenson and Dave Hodge. Ex Argos Zeke O'Conner and Freddie Black doing the colour and spotting.
    The Argos were big news back then and CFRB was Number 1 in radio land. The players seemed larger than life back then listening to the games. The good old days.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    I see CFRB 1010 is going to carry Sask/Tor game for TSN this Saturday if T-Bone is correct. That would bring back a lot of memories. I became an Argo fan listening as a kid to the Argo games on CFRB. Wes McKnight followed by Bill Stephenson and Dave Hodge. Ex Argos Zeke O'Conner and Freddie Black doing the colour and spotting.
    The Argos were big news back then and CFRB was Number 1 in radio land. The players seemed larger than life back then listening to the games. The good old days.
    I grew up in northeastern Ontario and often times the only way I could have access to an Argo game was on the radio with CFRB. On top of that, I would have to wait until the sun set before getting good enough reception to get CFRB and that might not happen until the third or fourth quarter. However, I remember listening to Dave Hodge and Pete Martin in the late 1970s and then Bob Bratina (now the mayor of Hamilton) and Pete Martin in the 1980s until CFRB gave up the rights around 1988 as the league started to lift the occasional TV blackout in southern Ontario.

Anyway, it will be a nice throwback if this upcoming game is indeed on CFRB.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Good to see that TSN radio is taking advantage of their sister station while the world cup of diving...er "football" is happening (go Greece BTW ) rather than making it a web only broadcast. Many people that won't be able to go to the game will be driving in their cars and at least they will be able to listen.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I grew up in northeastern Ontario and often times the only way I could have access to an Argo game was on the radio with CFRB. On top of that, I would have to wait until the sun set before getting good enough reception to get CFRB and that might not happen until the third or fourth quarter. However, I remember listening to Dave Hodge and Pete Martin in the late 1970s and then Bob Bratina (now the mayor of Hamilton) and Pete Martin in the 1980s until CFRB gave up the rights around 1988 as the league started to lift the occasional TV blackout in southern Ontario.

Anyway, it will be a nice throwback if this upcoming game is indeed on CFRB.
    John Badham was my favourite radio PBP guy in the CFRB years. He was the guy between Hodge and Bratina. Also used to do local late sports for CBLT (CBC Toronto) back in those days.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    John Badham was my favourite radio PBP guy in the CFRB years. He was the guy between Hodge and Bratina. Also used to do local late sports for CBLT (CBC Toronto) back in those days.
    I wasn't sure where Badham fit in although I do remember him. He also did the play-by-play with Bill Watters doing colour and Howard Berger working the sidelines when what is now FAN590 took over the Argo games in 1988.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I seem to recall the rights reverting back to CFRB for a few years around 1993-1994, but I am not sure about that. Badham used to be the Ottawa Rough Riders PBP at one point as well.
    Last edited by Will; 06-29-2014 at 04:02 PM.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 153
    Achievements:
    Level
    I've got an Argo/TALK 640 (voice of the Argos) t-shirt from the late 1990's. I also remember the Argos being on am680 in the 1970's and hearing the announcer say, "CFTR...the voice of the big double blue."

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofandave View Post
    I've got an Argo/TALK 640 (voice of the Argos) t-shirt from the late 1990's. I also remember the Argos being on am680 in the 1970's and hearing the announcer say, "CFTR...the voice of the big double blue."
    Those were indeed the DARK years of Argos radio broadcasts. Jamie Stein was the lone bright spot. He actually told me via email once when a particular Argos game (3pm Saturday start) was going long, that had the game gone past 6:15, 640 would have cut away from the Argos broadcast to the Leafs pre-game show.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I always enjoyed Bob Bratina and Pete Martin during the 1980's (Holloway-Barnes) era.
    Great post game shows during the drive home from the Ex.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Those were indeed the DARK years of Argos radio broadcasts. Jamie Stein was the lone bright spot. He actually told me via email once when a particular Argos game (3pm Saturday start) was going long, that had the game gone past 6:15, 640 would have cut away from the Argos broadcast to the Leafs pre-game show.
    IIRC, the Argos didn't even have a radio carrier in 2003, right? In 2002, they had the trio of Jim Lang, Brian Warren and a comedian by the name of Ripkin, who has since seemingly disappeared off the face of the earth. I remember listening to the first preseason game in Ottawa which was probably THE worst radio broadcast of a football game in history. Lang and Ripkin were too busy insulting other Canadian cities and yelling at the fans to tell us what was actually going on in the game. I felt bad for Warren who I thought had some potential as a colour commentator.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    IIRC, the Argos didn't even have a radio carrier in 2003, right? In 2002, they had the trio of Jim Lang, Brian Warren and a comedian by the name of Ripkin, who has since seemingly disappeared off the face of the earth. I remember listening to the first preseason game in Ottawa which was probably THE worst radio broadcast of a football game in history. Lang and Ripkin were too busy insulting other Canadian cities and yelling at the fans to tell us what was actually going on in the game. I felt bad for Warren who I thought had some potential as a colour commentator.
    Lang and Rifken were brutal....I always felt Lang was ordered by his bosses to be a jerk on those broadcasts....he was better than that...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Sorry to bring this thread back to 2014 .... But our Oline, FBs TEs and RBs had better be prepared to keep Ricky on his feet. Sask defence has just hit 10 sacks against the cats .......and this isn't preseason .
    Hope the Argos can make the east proud next week or we will be hearing the never ending whine of the west dominating :O

Oh, le Rouge et Noir is in first!
    Last edited by Argocister; 06-29-2014 at 10:10 PM.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Well, our DL did the same thing to Hamilton the week before - I think both results say a lot more about the Ticats' problems than it does about anyone's pass rushers.

Having said that, yeah, Saskatchewan looked quite good. We'll need to be a lot better next week (not that there was any doubt of that necessity)!

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    I remember for a short time Bill Stevenson did the Argos radio for his second stint years after his good old days. Too bad he was horrible on the second go around.

I remember during the years of blackout games listening to plenty of Argo games. We've have some great guys doing radio and a few real stinkers. Lang with his SLOBBERKNOCKER!!! Good guy back then who I pissed off at Badali's after a game when I asked why he kept saying SLOBBERKNOCKER and how it sounded like shite.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    I remember for a short time Bill Stevenson did the Argos radio for his second stint years after his good old days. Too bad he was horrible on the second go around.

I remember during the years of blackout games listening to plenty of Argo games. We've have some great guys doing radio and a few real stinkers. Lang with his SLOBBERKNOCKER!!! Good guy back then who I pissed off at Badali's after a game when I asked why he kept saying SLOBBERKNOCKER and how it sounded like shite.
    I can tell you that Lang is a huge fan of wrestling. He is also a huge fan of former WWE announce Jim Ross, and Ross used that term all the time on his wrestling calls. Lang was simply imitating Ross.

Lang may be a CFL fan, but in all honesty he was a terrible PBP guy.

Bill Stephenson was terrible at whatever sport he was covering. I just never liked that guy.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Bill Stephenson was terrible at whatever sport he was covering. I just never liked that guy.
    I always liked Stephenson and Al McCann myself as they roamed the CFL sidelines for years on CTV. Maybe that is only nostalgia for my youth more than anything else though.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Stephenson and McCann (and Brian Williams on CBC) actually uncovered and reported useful and valuable info during games when they were sideline reporters. Unfortunately that role seems to have devolved into telling one or two pre-planned feature stories during a game, as with the Anthony Coombs story during last week's Argo-Winnipeg game. Contrast that with Brian Williams reporting during the 1982 Grey Cup game that the wind was too strong for him to be able to throw effectively into it in the second half.

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Stephenson and McCann (and Brian Williams on CBC) actually uncovered and reported useful and valuable info during games when they were sideline reporters. Unfortunately that role seems to have devolved into telling one or two pre-planned feature stories during a game, as with the Anthony Coombs story during last week's Argo-Winnipeg game. Contrast that with Brian Williams reporting during the 1982 Grey Cup game that the wind was too strong for him to be able to throw effectively into it in the second half.
    Condredge Holloway?

As for the game, Saskatchewan has seemed to have the Argos number at home. Since 2003, I think the Argos have only won twice at home against Saskatchewan (2004 and 2011).
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    Condredge Holloway?
    Yes, sloppy error on my part.