Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points

Level

Argo talk with cohon on pt sports

Can someone please post link to interview that just concluded on pt sports.

Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Can you not find it yourself?
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    It probably won't be up until tomorrow.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Thanks Paul
    Works well!!

Sobering discussion with McCown and Cohon, if the Argonaut season ticket number of 3500 suggested by McCown (and not disputed by Cohan) is anywhere close to being true we all have reason to be concerned.

Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Listened to Commish Cohon on PTS today and the story isn't over yet.

According to McCown the MLSE board turned down the deal because the Argos were asking too much but Leiweke wants the deal and also wants the Argos as a tenant.

The next step for the Argos and the league is to somehow broker that money either from government or a sponsor and get the Argos into there as a tenant even if they are not owned by MLSE.

Cohon wants to turn the people who are watching on TV into stadium going fans and wants to change the experience for younger fans. He also got in a good shot at how Argo TV ratings beat the Raptors and TFC.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    This is all part of the negotiations tactics, going back and forth and somewhere there will a compromise of the dollars involved.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Sobering discussion with McCown and Cohon, if the Argonaut season ticket number of 3500 suggested by McCown (and not disputed by Cohan) is anywhere close to being true we all have reason to be concerned.
    If in fact true, that is scary. I can honestly say, that going to Argos games wasn't so important to me, I may not have renewed my tickets this year. I paid about $90 per seat more this season compared to last. True, I was late renewing, and thus did not get the rate that was being offered if I renewed in December, but as a long time ST holder I thought they still should have honoured the early bird discount. I was never in jeopardy of not renewing, and by my history, they should have known this. My previous ticket rep (Chris A) always let me take my time renewing, but the new one I guess didn't care.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by rdavies View Post
    Listened to Commish Cohon on PTS today and the story isn't over yet.

According to McCown the MLSE board turned down the deal because the Argos were asking too much but Leiweke wants the deal and also wants the Argos as a tenant.

The next step for the Argos and the league is to somehow broker that money either from government or a sponsor and get the Argos into there as a tenant even if they are not owned by MLSE.

Cohon wants to turn the people who are watching on TV into stadium going fans and wants to change the experience for younger fans. He also got in a good shot at how Argo TV ratings beat the Raptors and TFC.
    I guess the original BMO plan revealed this Spring, with the Argos conversion in the 1st phase and taking occupancy next season was Leiweke's plan. He may have had his wings clipped after going out on a limb with the $100 million for those 3 TFC players, with no feasible plan to recoup that expenditure. It was reported Leiweke had to vigorously argue the case with MLSE's Board...who prefer to make money rather than spend it.

Now the Argos have been shunted off to the 3rd phase of BMO's renovation in 2017 and MLSE has declined to purchase the team (with Rogers probably being the dissenter). Only if the Argos or senior government chip in $20 million will MLSE convert the city-owned stadium for CFL games.

What ever happened to Tannenbaum, the invisible man? I guess that was just an inside joke when it was reported he's always loved the Argos and wanted to buy them several times in the past.

You can sure hear the crickets chripping in Toronto about the huge Bills auction underway. Will Tannenbaum and golf buddy Bon Jovi even bother submitting a bid?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Perhaps the CFL needs to divy up a portion of the TSN contract based on fan viewership in your region .... If that's possible to determine. That way the Argos could be more profitable and attractive to a future owner..... MLSE or not.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    I just listened to the full interview and it is scary. The positive though is that I firmly believe in Cohon's vision for what could be in Toronto with a move to BMO Field. The bottom line right now is that this franchise is not sustainable at SkyDome and they need to get out of there yesterday. This deal with MLSE has to get done. There are simply no other options.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Listening to it I see no reason the deal will not get done. Looks like (as we have surmised) that MLSE won't look at buying the team until after they are in BMO. Then the dynamics of the finances change.

I also liked how Cohon said they'd even toss Toronto another Grey Cup to offset the yearly losses Braley will be taking. I also liked how Cohon was honest about the Argos doing Jack crap promoting the team this season.

The one other tidbit about 600K+ watch the Argos play on TV ... and most of them come from Southern Ontario. So he's quantified that they have hundreds of thousands in this region (dwarfing Raptors and TFC) watching (large young people demo) but they haven't got them to come out to games.

So I didn't find it so scary in light of previou events

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Listening to it I see no reason the deal will not get done. Looks like (as we have surmised) that MLSE won't look at buying the team until after they are in BMO. Then the dynamics of the finances change.

I also liked how Cohon said they'd even toss Toronto another Grey Cup to offset the yearly losses Braley will be taking. I also liked how Cohon was honest about the Argos doing Jack crap promoting the team this season.

The one other tidbit about 600K+ watch the Argos play on TV ... and most of them come from Southern Ontario. So he's quantified that they have hundreds of thousands in this region (dwarfing Raptors and TFC) watching (large young people demo) but they haven't got them to come out to games.

So I didn't find it so scary in light of previou events
    Thanks Ron. Needed to have an optimistic look at the situation.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Well 87 currently I am travelling for work and teaching during the day giving me no spare time to surf and looking for this stuff on a phone is time consuming and tedius and since I have argofans.com on the home page of my phone as every argo fan should.....if someone can post it here I can easily click on it I would appreciate it.

Thanks for asking and your concern for my web surfing skills is appreciated.

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    Cohon not denying the 3,500 number is pretty scary, although it is still legitimate to ask who is feeding McCown that number.

At least Cohon does seem unhappy with the lack of promotion that the Argonauts have been doing.
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    An initial thought on the "MLSE a dead deal" talk. I know its McCowan but was it really necessary to preface the discussion with "if you don't care about the CFL, then don't listen". I mean I don't give a rats a$% about basketball but I would never say don't listen just because I don't like it if I were a host of a show. What an oaf!

Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Perfect Paul thanks very much for doing that!

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    An initial thought on the "MLSE a dead deal" talk. I know its McCowan but was it really necessary to preface the discussion with "if you don't care about the CFL, then don't listen". I mean I don't give a rats a$% about basketball but I would never say don't listen just because I don't like it if I were a host of a show. What an oaf!
    I'll spin it another way, it seems that some CFL haters really feel the need to be vocal about their dislike. McCown maybe simply speaking to those people.

BTW, I'm looking for any reason for optimism here, is it perhaps that Cohon knows the 3500 # that McCown is pushing is ridiculous and thus he felt it did not merit a response?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 95
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    I just happened to come across the interview driving home from work. I really don't know how to read McCown now compared from his earlier days, but yesterday he came across sincere and sympathetic to the Argos situation. 3,500 season tickets sold....reminds me of the Montreal Concordes that folded in 1987.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    I'll spin it another way, it seems that some CFL haters really feel the need to be vocal about their dislike. McCown maybe simply speaking to those people.

BTW, I'm looking for any reason for optimism here, is it perhaps that Cohon knows the 3500 # that McCown is pushing is ridiculous and thus he felt it did not merit a response?
    Ok I can see that point of view!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    McCown's interview had the negative slant all the way through. I'm glad we have Cohon as he could accept facts but put the positive spin on it where he could.
    Typically Ontario attitude.... the stuff in my back yard is crap, the grass is always greener elsewhere. .... and I am from Ont. so I can say that.
    The interview had a past influence, and "lets focus on all the bad stuff the Argos have gone through ".... rather than focussing on what is the direction for the future. This last part Cohon tried to bring to the forefront.
    M. and partner (don't know his name and dont care to ) tried to expand on the negatives with the CBA discussions, but it was great as Cohon wouldnt' let them. I also like how Cohon talked about keeping the players up to date with the business of the CFL on a regular basis.

The positives I got from this interview....
    There are alot of closet Argos fans
    We get more viewing on TV than the TFC and the Raptors
    the CFL realizies the importance of the ARgos and their market.
    The CFL is putting their fingers in the so called ARgo pot and helping direct them
    A few more Grey Cups for us? .... not only the city but the TEam?
    Cohon is with the CFL for a few more years..... hopefully seeing the Argonaut ascension to domination! ( okay maybe that last bit was exagerrated )