Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    And in the Rogers Centre current configuration for Argo games. There is 8,000-10,000 seats behind the endzone line Maybe even more.
    Which is something like a third to a quarter of the seats available on the two levels. Too many, for sure. But what RC has is irrelevant -- we are being kicked out of there in three years. The issue is where we are going to play when that happens. The proposition has been made that we should resurrect Empire Field and make it permanent. Hence my response -- who would want a permanent facility where half the seats are crap?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    if 20000 people threw in 20 bucks each it wouldn't even tally a half mill. waste of time

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Along with the Kickstart campaign, the Argos could generate cash to build their new stadium by selling shares as part of a community ownership plan (i.e. the Riders raised millions with their successful share offering):

$2500 for Argos Charter Club with full voting share + 35% ST Discount* in perpetuity (incl. commemorative Argos jersey & pin).
    $750 for ArgoBackers Club with 30% ST Discount* for 10 years (incl. commemorative Argos golf shirt & pin).
    $350 for Argos Supporter Club with 25% ST Discount* for 5 years (incl. commemorative Argos ball cap & pin).
    $95 for Argo Builders Club (incl. commemorative CFL ball cap)...open to CFL fans everywhere to help build the Argos' new stadium!

* Off single-game ticket prices.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Invader View Post
    Along with the Kickstart campaign, the Argos could generate cash to build their new stadium by selling shares as part of a community ownership plan (i.e. the Riders raised millions with their successful share offering):

$2500 for Argos Charter Club with full voting share + 35% ST Discount* in perpetuity (incl. commemorative Argos jersey & pin).
    $750 for ArgoBackers Club with 30% ST Discount* for 10 years (incl. commemorative Argos golf shirt & pin).
    $350 for Argos Supporter Club with 25% ST Discount* for 5 years (incl. commemorative Argos ball cap & pin).
    $95 for Argo Builders Club (incl. commemorative CFL ball cap)...open to CFL fans everywhere to help build the Argos' new stadium!

And get the other 8 teams on board by selling the 95 dollar Builders Club package with their respective season ticket packages. Throw in a perk like purchasing an Argos Builders club with your season ticket package and get 10 free beer tokens. I'll be you'd sell quite a few in Saskatchewan and Manitoba.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Kickstarter has worked for other important projects, so I suppose anything's possible.

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Are you thinking what I'm thinking? http://globalnews.ca/news/1438253/70...coming-to-gta/
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    That's pretty amazing, that a league that apparently doesn't actually exist yet has "secured financing" for a 35,000 seat stadium.

Former Toronto Star Argo writer Bob Mitchell is supposedly the commissioner - http://cplt20.ca/news/
    Faster + Louder = Better

Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by shayman View Post
    That's pretty amazing, that a league that apparently doesn't actually exist yet has "secured financing" for a 35,000 seat stadium.

Former Toronto Star Argo writer Bob Mitchell is supposedly the commissioner - http://cplt20.ca/news/
    Honestly, I bet they will never play a game in this Canadian Premier League T-20 (CPLT20). Players will mostly be Canadian with a few "imports" and Canada isn't known for cricket at the international level.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Boatman
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Are you thinking what I'm thinking? http://globalnews.ca/news/1438253/70...coming-to-gta/
    Wow, I can't imagine who in their right mind would financially back that project for that amount. With a cricket ground's circular shape and large distance from the center of the ground to the stands I can't imagine what else you would use it for after the cricket season is over. I wonder if any government funds are being used?

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    "purpose-built covered cricket facility ... natural grass field". It doesn't really sound like they want a partner, unfortunately.

Don
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    That sounds like the ultimate "kick in the nuts." There is more will to build a cricket field than to build a CFL football stadium.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    I will believe that a $700 million, 35k seat cricket stadium will be built when I see it.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    That sounds like the ultimate "kick in the nuts." There is more will to build a cricket field than to build a CFL football stadium.
    Let's not get too carried away. It's one guy who is determined to get somebody to pay for a cricket stadium. I haven't heard any concrete info about anybody else stepping up to contribute money to this.

Check out the cricket league's web site and see if you can find any evidence that this actually is a thing. http://cplt20.ca
    and the press release itself is remarkably devoid of any details of this "financing". http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1383...ancing-secured
    Faster + Louder = Better

Boatman
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by shayman View Post
    Let's not get too carried away. It's one guy who is determined to get somebody to pay for a cricket stadium. I haven't heard any concrete info about anybody else stepping up to contribute money to this.

Check out the cricket league's web site and see if you can find any evidence that this actually is a thing. http://cplt20.ca
    and the press release itself is remarkably devoid of any details of this "financing". http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1383...ancing-secured
    International and local investors continue to be sought to raise the necessary financing for the inaugural season and beyond. Singh is seeking to raise $10 million for a 49 per cent equity stake in the Canadian Premier League T20 (CPLT20), which is structured as a Limited Partnership and has various tax benefits to investors.
    If they can't find investors to give them $10 million so they can start their first season how did they raise $700 million to build a stadium? Something stinks in cricket land.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I will believe that a $700 million, 35k seat cricket stadium will be built when I see it.
    Ravi truer words have never been said....
    MakeArgonautsGreatAgain, 2021

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Thanks for trying this, Acadicus. However, I have to agree with many other commentators, that the chance of success for this project is extremely remote. But heh! What do I know? I thought the Riders would pulverize the Argos after watching the Winnipeg game.

New Fan
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 49
    Achievements:
    7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks for all the replies. I respect that everyone on this forum has paid their dues in supporting this team and that the thought of dropping more cash for a pipe dream is hard to stomach. For the record, I emailed KickStarter to find out if this type of crowd funding venture is allowed but I never received a reply. I have faith that somehow the Argos will end up in a new stadium. Cohon's comments on Prime Time clearly indicated that the Argos are too valuable to the league to fail. If anyone decides that the Kickstarter idea is worth trying, let me know and I will help as best as I can. The CFL is better than potato salad.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level

Wow, maybe that wasn't such a crazy idea after all! The idea of community ownership for the Argos is starting to gain traction. Here's an article in today's Star:

How CFL community ownership
    could work for Argos

Could the Toronto Argonauts become a community-operated team much like the Saskatchewan Roughriders, Winnipeg Blue Bombers and Edmonton Eskimos?

The question took on real meaning this week after Argonaut owner David Braley told the Star that one party approached him a couple of weeks ago with an offer to take over the team and turn the Argos into a not-for-profit organization.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/argos/...ated_team.html
    Another idea is a group Argos ownership plan, i.e. TSN/ESPN (or Braley or another private investor) = 37.5%; League = 37.5%; Community = 25%. This way the entire CFL would have a stake in the Argos fortunes, along with the host broadcaster and community.

If the Argos are blocked from relocating to BMO, a temporary stadium could easily be constructed around their practice field at Downsview...subject to MLSE's approval. Then a permanent football facility could be constructed in the GTA.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Wow, maybe that wasn't such a crazy idea after all! The idea of community ownership for the Argos is starting to gain traction. Here's an article in today's Star:

Another idea is a group Argos ownership plan, i.e. TSN/ESPN (or Braley or another private investor) = 37.5%; League = 37.5%; Community = 25%. This way the entire CFL would have a stake in the Argos fortunes, along with the host broadcaster and community.

If the Argos are blocked from relocating to BMO, a temporary stadium could easily be constructed around their practice field at Downsview...subject to MLSE's approval. Then a permanent football facility could be constructed in the GTA.
    And, once again, who is going to pay for both the temporary and permanent football facilities?
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    And, once again, who is going to pay for both the temporary and permanent football facilities?
    The Argos new stadium should be funded in the same manner as every other football stadium in the history of Canada...by government. Not sure what's so different about the Argos?...other than the media smear campaign which has most everyone convinced the Argos aren't worthy, because...well, just because. Some may point out all the football stadiums governments have already built in Toronto, like Skydome...and, umm, umm BMO (neither of which can host football games after 2017).

Toronto needs a football facility just like every other city in Canada and U.S. and it will require leadership from all 3 levels of government, the CFL, the Argo fans and their owner.