Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Argocister, please don't embed responses in the quote block. It makes your messages hard to read and respond to.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    As an almost 52 year old guy who's been a fan since the age of seven or so I've seen it all in Argoland but right now could be the worst I've witnessed. Last game there was nowhere near 16 thou at the dome. Our so called owner doesn't give a rats ass and is dragging his ass about selling. Why would a so called brilliant business man want to drive the team into the ground before selling?

We the fans just have to sit back and watch the boat sink slowly. Braley open up that yap and tell us something? Cohon? Anyone?
    What the Hell already? Nice to be back in Ontario to witness this mess first hand.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    As an almost 52 year old guy who's been a fan since the age of seven or so I've seen it all in Argoland but right now could be the worst I've witnessed. Last game there was nowhere near 16 thou at the dome.
    I think the darkest days were the Sherwood Schwartz era, while this season seems eerily similar in terms of attendance/fan interest , the new practice facility agreement does seem to make a potential new ownership deal more likely.

Somewhat worried about the "Bon Jovi/Tannenbaum" group still,they are scooping out locations in the GTA for a stadium, and the "out" is only 28 million in one of the final years of the bill's lease.
    MakeArgonautsGreatAgain, 2021

Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argonaut11xx View Post
    and the "out" is only 28 million in one of the final years of the bill's lease.
    Funny how I'm sure they would be able to come up with that, but need the feds to contribute 10 million now

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argonaut11xx View Post
    I think the darkest days were the Sherwood Schwartz era, while this season seems eerily similar in terms of attendance/fan interest , the new practice facility agreement does seem to make a potential new ownership deal more likely.

Somewhat worried about the "Bon Jovi/Tannenbaum" group still,they are scooping out locations in the GTA for a stadium, and the "out" is only 28 million in one of the final years of the bill's lease.
    Reading John Kryk in the Toronto Sun, he believes that because the "out" doesn't happen until 2019 or 2020, it would make it difficult for the team to be sold to the Toronto group - assuming that they plan on moving it to the GTA - as that would mean five or six lame-duck years in Buffalo with dwindling crowds which would look very bad on the NFL. I really don't see that team leaving Buffalo, especially with a number of wealthy locals willing to buy and the keep the team there.

Quote Originally Posted by rdavies View Post
    Funny how I'm sure they would be able to come up with that, but need the feds to contribute 10 million now
    MLSE pays some of its players more than that. What bothers me is that kind of money is pocket change to MLSE and yet that is what is holding up the conversion of BMO Field to a stadium that can accommodate Canadian football. Making it contingent on taxpayer money does seem ridiculous to me.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    MLSE pays some of its players more than that. What bothers me is that kind of money is pocket change to MLSE and yet that is what is holding up the conversion of BMO Field to a stadium that can accommodate Canadian football. Making it contingent on taxpayer money does seem ridiculous to me.
    I'm not overly upset with that. I guess they figure they'll pay the 10 million once they get the team for nothing. Why not just use the money that they won't give to Braley?
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Banned
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I'm not overly upset with that. I guess they figure they'll pay the 10 million once they get the team for nothing. Why not just use the money that they won't give to Braley?
    I agree that this is most likely a tactic by MLSE. It appears MLSE is willing to wait out the Argos lease at Rogers Centre since Braley is being stubborn about the sale of the team (If reports are true).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Meh, I'll just wait until phase 3 of renovation when they get the 10 mil. Then the Argos move into BMO and Braley makes a buck selling the team to MLSE (who have stated numerous times they won't buy the team as a stand alone) . In the meantime Braley will recover some losses by being thrown another GC.

Anyhow. Months ago all I read on here was whinning that the Argos needed a real professional practice facility. Low and behold they get one with a strange "wink wink" partnership with MLSE.

So. Just enjoy the extra room at RC for Argo games. In a few years the Argos will be at BMO playing to capacity crowds ... but you will have already bought all the best seats in the house as you'll have little competition for best seat priority. Or just continue with a few more years of knee jerk reactions and hand wringing.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by rdavies View Post
    No kidding. The question is can they come up with $2 Billion US? Apparently it's going to cost around $1 Billion US to buy the team and another $1 Billion to build a suitable NFL Stadium in Toronto.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    No kidding. The question is can they come up with $2 Billion US? Apparently it's going to cost around $1 Billion US to buy the team and another $1 Billion to build a suitable NFL Stadium in Toronto.
    Reportedly, the Sabres' owner has bid at least $1.3 billion for the Bills and it is thought by John Kryk in the Sun at least that Bon Jovi and friends won't be able to match this. Even Trump might have bid more than Bon Jovi and friends and he said that he isn't going to overpay for the Bills. Bon Jovi is also getting a lot of bad press in New York State for being involved with a group that is seen as wanting to move the Bills out of Buffalo.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I think the Bon Jovi group has decided to make a strategic bid, too low to win but high enough to establish themselves as serious players if another franchise comes into play. There are at least three teams that have been discussed as possibly prepared to pull up stakes -- San Diego, St. Louis and Jacksonville -- so it's not inconceivable there will be an opportunity at some point to try to bring one to Toronto. However, the Bills may be able to block such a move since it is now firmly established that Toronto is part of its territory. In that regard Rogers' decision to create the Bills in Toronto series may ultimately prove to be a key factor in killing Toronto's chances for its own NFL team. (Of course there would be other factors such as lack of stadium, U.S. networks' lack of interest in the Cdn market, etc.)

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I think the Bon Jovi group has decided to make a strategic bid, too low to win but high enough to establish themselves as serious players if another franchise comes into play. There are at least three teams that have been discussed as possibly prepared to pull up stakes -- San Diego, St. Louis and Jacksonville -- so it's not inconceivable there will be an opportunity at some point to try to bring one to Toronto. However, the Bills may be able to block such a move since it is now firmly established that Toronto is part of its territory. In that regard Rogers' decision to create the Bills in Toronto series may ultimately prove to be a key factor in killing Toronto's chances for its own NFL team. (Of course there would be other factors such as lack of stadium, U.S. networks' lack of interest in the Cdn market, etc.)
    Part of Ralph Wilson's legacy will be that he outsmarted Ted Rogers with the Bills In Toronto Series. Wilson made $ while Rogers lost $ and as already mentioned, the GTA is officially Bills territory so a NFL team in the GTA will now need approval from the Bills.