Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Great read and nice to see that someone has their eyes wide open and was willing to write about this.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    TFC has sold out 8 consecutive games. What makes you think that if the stadium was 30k, they still wouldn't be selling it out?

I can guarantee the Argos would prefer to be selling 25-30k and get smaller ratings. TV ratings are nice, but it really doesn't make the Argos enough money. Even with the increased TV deal, you need to average over 20k (actual paid tickets) to come close to breaking even.
    It wasn't a sell out last night versus a whitecaps. My section 107 was only 60% full. So maybe 15,000-16000 there last night. Wednesday games are always half-75% full ... but no one reports its because MLSE always announces a sellout.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    It wasn't a sell out last night versus a whitecaps. My section 107 was only 60% full. So maybe 15,000-16000 there last night. Wednesday games are always half-75% full ... but no one reports its because MLSE always announces a sellout.
    They probably announce Paid Attendance, most sports teams do this.

Banned
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    I think he's now ready to stand up to Braley:

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by flutie02 View Post
    http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/07/16/...ise-and-league
    Great story from the Sun, on the Argos troubles. I like the part about Rogers treating the Argos, like crap, but I know that can't be true, because some of you on here say Rogers is well balance towards the Argos/ CFL. Getting to the point, that the league may need to find a loophole in its constitution and take the team from Brailey if possible, even if highly unlikely, at least make some noise about it.
    It was in the Toronto Sun too:

http://torontosun.com/2014/07/16/arg...ise-and-league

It's definitely a must read for Argonauts fans.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    I think he's now ready to stand up to Braley:

Lol, I think that he'd better bring Jason too.
    :-)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Braley can donate millions to Mac athletics ... but can't even put money into a new practice facility or stadium for Argos. Even after generating a $10m profit couple years ago.

Good news is practice facility will happen late august as leaked during preseason game

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Braley can donate millions to Mac athletics ... but can't even put money into a new practice facility or stadium for Argos. Even after generating a $10m profit couple years ago.

Good news is practice facility will happen late august as leaked during preseason game
    Who paid for the practice facility? Some one had to have, The city doesn't just give property away...
    Argos Season Ticket Holder: 2010 - 2014 & 2016 - Present
    Grey Cups Attended: 2012, 2016
    Current Seats Location: Section 227

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by BATKINSON001 View Post
    Who paid for the practice facility? Some one had to have, The city doesn't just give property away...
    They are going to practice at the existing public CFL turf there.
    Apparently, they are going to lease office & training space from the MLSE Kia facility, and eventually move onto one of the private KIA fields. So, i guess you could say MLSE is financing the facility.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    They are going to practice at the existing public CFL turf there.
    Apparently, they are going to lease office & training space from the MLSE Kia facility, and eventually move onto one of the private KIA fields. So, i guess you could say MLSE is financing the facility.
    Wink wink ... nudge nudge ... say no more .... say no more .... MLSE has no interest in the Argos.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Braley resigned as Owner of The Argonauts in his mind and with his tight wallet. He's scum to me at this point.

Banned
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    Braley resigned as Owner of The Argonauts in his mind and with his tight wallet. He's scum to me at this point.
    You're entitled to your opinion but with out Braley you most likely would't have a team to complain about all over this board.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    That was then and this is now, so now I can complain. This board would be even more stale then it is without some bitching and complaining when things are going sour. Not everyone can be as positive as Ravi. Braley is seen in the same light as Harry Ornest in my eyes at this point. His pockets are so tight and deep when it comes to the Argos right now. Plus he has zero feelings or passion about them. Sell you old FOOL.

The board needs people who cut the bs and say what they feel. We need Fungi, Midnight and Foley's bro back. Life baby the forum needs more life!!!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    You're entitled to your opinion but with out Braley you most likely would't have a team to complain about all over this board.
    Agreed. Without Braley the Argonauts probably don't exist today. He may not be the best owner but he's better than no owner.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I disagree. The league would be running the team in the same bare bones manner Braley has been. The league knows that without Toronto, they would lose plenty of national sponsors and TSN would not be paying the dollars they did in the TV deal.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I disagree. The league would be running the team in the same bare bones manner Braley has been. The league knows that without Toronto, they would lose plenty of national sponsors and TSN would not be paying the dollars they did in the TV deal.
    But the league wouldn't have been able to do it for as many years as Braley has been the owner.

Someone tweeted out today something along the lines of, the very thing that is keeping us alive (Braley) is also the thing that is killing us. It's time for resolution on this issue. As I said two weeks ago, I sincerely hope Cohon is working feverishly behind the scenes to get the Argo ownership and stadium issues squared away. This is his greatest test as a commissioner, IMO.

FWIW, here are Arash Madani's tweets from last night:

Makes me wonder if Beth W's departure was based on finances or on something else (like maybe insisting to her bosses that reporting on this situation is only going to get uglier if something isn't done soon to clarify the team's future). Either scenario is disturbing.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    It is funny how things can change in such a short time. We were all on top of the world as recently as November of 2012 and the Argos, for one week at least, were the talk of Toronto. Even at the end of last season, I, and I believe others on here, felt very positive about the future of this team. At that point - November of 2013 - it looked like the team would soon be sold to MLSE, the team would move into a renovated BMO Field, and its future very much solidified. I still believe that these three things will happen but they really should have happened months ago. As a result, this is a franchise that seems to be completely in limbo.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Makes me wonder if Beth W's departure was based on finances or on something else (like maybe insisting to her bosses that reporting on this situation is only going to get uglier if something isn't done soon to clarify the team's future). Either scenario is disturbing.
    Pretty well sums it up Paul.
    How long before they lose anymore fan support, hopefully a new approach coming soon, this season completely dismal so far!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    And if something isn't done soon to let everyone know what's going to happen to resolve this situation, we will quickly be into a death watch in the media. Madani's tweets, and Lankof's story in the Sun last week, are just the forerunners. Wait until we draw another crowd of 6,000 on a Tuesday night, and then try to sell a second home game five days later (against two teams that are historically bad draws in Toronto). Then the media frenzy will be in full swing, and sadly it will be justified because the organization might very well be in (as Madani put it) "bankruptcy mode."

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Isn't MLSE controlled by Rogers who are not friends of the CFL. Isn't MLSE teaming with Bon Jovi to try and buy the Bills and move them to Toronto, something that would kill the Argos.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    But the league wouldn't have been able to do it for as many years as Braley has been the owner.

Someone tweeted out today something along the lines of, the very thing that is keeping us alive (Braley) is also the thing that is killing us. It's time for resolution on this issue. As I said two weeks ago, I sincerely hope Cohon is working feverishly behind the scenes to get the Argo ownership and stadium issues squared away. This is his greatest test as a commissioner, IMO.
    I don't know about that Paul. The league likely would have found someone else to own them by now, and if they gave a new ownership group in Toronto a Grey Cup every 5 years or so, I'm quite sure the 10M plus they make off that game will make any annual losses quite easier to take. There is no way in the world that a respected owner would do as little as Braley has to keep the team relevant.

I think that we all have been fooled into believing that Braley has lost a lot more money than he really has. All the Grey Cups he has had between his ownership in Toronto and B.C. have really cut into his "reported" losses.

As for Madani tweeting about Bobby Ackles being the one that saved the Lions, seems to me that I tweeted this numerous times during my rants after the last home game. He must be reading re-tweets from CFL daily or one of those other CFL social media groups. That's journalism at it's finest right there.

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    Isn't MLSE controlled by Rogers who are not friends of the CFL. Isn't MLSE teaming with Bon Jovi to try and buy the Bills and move them to Toronto, something that would kill the Argos.
    Only 37.5% is Rogers. 37.5% is Bell which is a great friend of the league. The rest is Tanenbaum. If there is money to be made, they will have interest.
    It's us vs the rest of the country