Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Another reason that the ST's (and probably overall attendance) are down is likely the price increase this year. I have mentioned this before, but I didn't renew my tickets until March (as I always do), and even though I was warned about a price increase after the early bird renewal, not in my wildest dreams did I expect about a 30% increase. I have bronze seats, and my ticket went from $280 to $367.50 this season.
    A 30% increase in ticket prices for a team that can barely fill have their seats in a half sized stadium is not exactly a good understanding of supply and demand ecomomics...That's basic economics 101, so it should be no surprise for the team that attendance has fallen. This organization has always done that. I made a previous post yesterday harkening back to when the team raised prices by at least 50% in '92 during the McNall years and it took the Argos 4-6 years to get the crowds back to the levels of 25,000+.

Someone wrote that Season ticket sales are bad because tickets can always be bought on game day...but even single game tickets sold prior to gameday is affected because of the ridiculous service charges from ticketmaster...$7.75 - $9.00 per ticket is ridiculous and would not entice me to buy tickets prior to gameday...I'll wait as many do till gameday, and if something comes up...oh well, like many, I unfortunately may not go...because ticketmaster service charges have discouraged me from making that obligation to get tickets before gameday...if the charges on top of the Argo box office charge was reasonable...no problem, I understand the service, but nearly $10 a ticket on top of the listed price is BS. They may not even have paper expenses if you print your tix at home using your own paper and there charging fans $9 for service fees...Just ridiculous.

Whenever I've recently thought about getting seasons, I've always been turned off by the hiked ticket prices to compound those surcharges . You can call me frugal, cheap or whatever, but I have other expenses that are a priority and I don't like being dicked around...advertise the price you want people to pay...don't just list a price and then add a bunch of surcharges and fees on top of that. Worse yet is the justification of it with small print, as it makes me feel like I'm being duped.
    I'm sure I can't be the only person who feels this way based on the attendance numbers at the stadium and ratings numbers watching on TV.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoFan1 View Post

I still think another big factor is the weekend games, which never did work here in Toronto. Too many people go away and there are too many other things going on.
    Then how do you explain TFC having no problem selling out on the same night? Do only Argos fans go away on weekends in the summer?

All of his diehards are in disbelief of what has happened to the support for the Argos. I have used every possible excuse that I have been reading on here myself over the last 15-20 years. The only thing that will change the Argos attendance issues is the management, starting with the owner, giving a damn. I can't believe Braley learned nothing from the way that Bobby Ackles turned his B.C. team around. It takes time and effort, something we haven't seen here in...well almost ever.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRedneck View Post
    Don't worry people, when the Argos relocate 5 minutes away the people of Toronto will become Argo fans, and those that already are will stop watching the great TSN broadcast and come out to the games. Who would not want to be at a wild tailgate party that has cool beer at $10. Much better then the team sponsor Shoeless Joe's with ice cold draft at $7 tables, chairs for all and 15% off food for ST holders. #DONileRiver
    My first impression reading your post is that your being sarcastic, but looking over it again, I'm starting to think you're not being sarcastic...that's the thing with messageboards, we can't really measure the tone of each message. The atmosphere would be better than the dome and also very nostalgic for those who went to games at the EX before 1989 so I could imagine decent looking attendance with numbers in the low 20,000's compared to the half empty cavernous dome, which is what we have now with even 25,000 there. The CNE parking lots would also make for a better pre game tailgate feel even though you could bet security would be all over the place in our wonderful Nanny state province of Ontario..Of course that's because they care about our health and has nothing to do with making sure that we pay full price at their concessions for all the beer fans may consume...now I'm being sarcastic.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Gill The Thrill View Post

Whenever I've recently thought about getting seasons, I've always been turned off by the hiked ticket prices to compound those surcharges . You can call me frugal, cheap or whatever, but I have other expenses that are a priority and I don't like being dicked around...advertise the price you want people to pay...don't just list a price and then add a bunch of surcharges and fees on top of that. Worse yet is the justification of it with small print, as it makes me feel like I'm being duped.
    I'm sure I can't be the only person who feels this way based on the attendance numbers at the stadium and ratings numbers watching on TV.
    You're so right about this. Argos website listed my tickets at $299 for the season. As I said, I paid $280 last season, so I was thinking a $20 hike for 10 games isn't that bad. Then when I called my rep and he told me that the actual price after fees was $367.50, I really felt misled. The team should put the full price, including all taxes and surcharges on their website so as not to mislead their fans. I took it as a big F.U.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Then how do you explain TFC having no problem selling out on the same night? Do only Argos fans go away on weekends in the summer?

All of his diehards are in disbelief of what has happened to the support for the Argos. I have used every possible excuse that I have been reading on here myself over the last 15-20 years. The only thing that will change the Argos attendance issues is the management, starting with the owner, giving a damn. I can't believe Braley learned nothing from the way that Bobby Ackles turned his B.C. team around. It takes time and effort, something we haven't seen here in...well almost ever.
    Speaking of days of the week, the next two home games are on a Tuesday night and a Sunday night which would presumably be better for all of the cottagers. What will the Argos draw for those two games against Winnipeg and David Braley's other team? BTW, the Argos don't play at home for a month and then after the Winnipeg and B.C. games which occur in the same week, they don't play at home again until October.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    You're so right about this. Argos website listed my tickets at $299 for the season. As I said, I paid $280 last season, so I was thinking a $20 hike for 10 games isn't that bad. Then when I called my rep and he told me that the actual price after fees was $367.50, I really felt misled. The team should put the full price, including all taxes and surcharges on their website so as not to mislead their fans. I took it as a big F.U.
    I agree they should list the total price, they can still give the breakdown to show all the fees so that it's clear that they're not getting all of the money.

Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Speaking of days of the week, the next two home games are on a Tuesday night and a Sunday night which would presumably be better for all of the cottagers. What will the Argos draw for those two games against Winnipeg and David Braley's other team? BTW, the Argos don't play at home for a month and then after the Winnipeg and B.C. games which occur in the same week, they don't play at home again until October.
    And the sad thing is that this season's schedule is better than last season's.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Gill The Thrill View Post
    The CNE parking lots would also make for a better pre game tailgate feel even though you could bet security would be all over the place in our wonderful Nanny state province of Ontario..
    Blame all those damn Marxists in downtown Toronto and their failed collectivist propaganda.

But you might be interested to learn that it now appears tailgating is unofficially being allowed at certain BMO parking lots for TFC games.

Boatman
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    In this day and age people want a game DAY experience. Not just a game. The Argos have really screwed this up. We as fans can start our own pre game fun. I see the same fans spread out all around the downtown area before the game at the same tables doing their pre game warm up. Some that I see warming up are the same ones that I have seen in Hamilton having a great time warming up at the outdoor party. I'm not saying that we have to tailgate, but we do have a sponsor in Shoeless Joe's were we can hang out if we get kicked out of a parking area.

I still believe that TSN is doing such a great job. People who are fans and live in a condo 15 minutes away are staying home and watching. Look at the curling coverage on TSN. People don't go to the big games any more because it is available on TSN. I have done the ticket exchange program for the next home game so won't be there. But I will be watching from my home for free. If the game was not on TV I would most likely attend. Also by staying at home I save about $200. The price goes up if I bring a family member. Tickets + getting there + food&beer.

I will also add that if/when the Argos move to a new location that if season ticket senority is not going to be a factor when selecting seats I may give up my seat and just cherry pick games next year. I will post when I get a written!!!!! answer to that question.
    Last edited by ArgoRedneck; 07-15-2014 at 12:44 PM.

New Fan
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Achievements:

Level
    Agreed, I would be down for an Argo tailgate at Shoeless Joes! Don't think I will be able to attend the next 2 games, but would look forward to that in October when they are back home.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level

Well, I am thinking that TFC game attendance was bolstered by the World Cup being on and suddenly everyone getting soccer crazy. Last season, they were not selling out.

Boatman
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoFan1 View Post
    Well, I am thinking that TFC game attendance was bolstered by the World Cup being on and suddenly everyone getting soccer crazy. Last season, they were not selling out.
    If the Argos had $100 million to spend on two players I'm sure they would get a huge boost in season ticket sales as well as general attendance, however looking at TFC's TV ratings it appears general interest in the team has waned.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 215
    Achievements:

Level
    All valid interesting points . Wondering if the Gardiner / Lakeshore / Queen's Quay traffic debacle is partly responsible ? I now drive in from the 401/ Yonge route instead of the usual 402/401/403/ QEW / Lakeshore . next year's Pan Scam Games will definitely create problems.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyice View Post
    All valid interesting points . Wondering if the Gardiner / Lakeshore / Queen's Quay traffic debacle is partly responsible ? I now drive in from the 401/ Yonge route instead of the usual 402/401/403/ QEW / Lakeshore . next year's Pan Scam Games will definitely create problems.
    One piece of good news regarding Gardiner construction: http://globalnews.ca/news/1450526/ga...d-of-schedule/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    One piece of good news regarding Gardiner construction: http://globalnews.ca/news/1450526/ga...d-of-schedule/
    Is that a unionized construction....oh nevermind.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Level
    Is that a unionized construction....oh nevermind.
    Maybe they used slave labour, like they're using in Qatar for World Cup stadiums.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRXktlS4OOA

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    For those of you who think that it's the price increase what do you think will happen to ticket prices in a smaller stadium with less tickets to sell? Or if we're owned by greedy MLSE?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    For those of you who think that it's the price increase what do you think will happen to ticket prices in a smaller stadium with less tickets to sell? Or if we're owned by greedy MLSE?
    With a new owner and venue expect an increase in ticket prices, people are objecting to the increase at this venue and the same game day experience.
    I would gladly pay more for a better venue and event.
    As for the "greedy" MLSE ownership do you see any other options??

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    With a new owner and venue expect an increase in ticket prices, people are objecting to the increase at this venue and the same game day experience.

Since there is no other option, the big bad MLSE and the crap stadium BMO will have to do.
    But I do agree some of the people who are now complaining about ticket prices, which in my mind they should not be complaining period, wait until the faceless MLSE jacks the prices.
    Just like they did many times with TFC and drove thousands of fans away.
    As for the fan experience at BMO, I have been to TFC games, there is no experience surrounding this location, zilch.
    Just as bad as the dome.
    In an ideal world, the Argos would have their own stadium and OUTSIDE the stupid downtown core.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    There was already a 30% price increase, I'm not okay with another double digit price increase.

No unfortunately I don't see any other option except for greedy MLSE and the poorly located BMO Field.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    There was already a 30% price increase, I'm not okay with another double digit price increase.

No unfortunately I don't see any other option except for greedy MLSE and the poorly located BMO Field.
    The difference being that MLSE isn't stupid enough to have a significant price increase when a team of theirs plays to 60% capacity. What the Argos did this year made absolutely no business sense. It defies the whole supply and demand principle.