Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level

Sad news about former Argo Eric "The Flea" Allen

I am not quite old enough to remember this player but I am sure that there are a couple of people on here that have fond memories of Allen: http://theconcussionblog.com/2014/06...ia-and-animus/

In the accompanying picture, I find it odd that Allen is wearing a boat logo helmet when he played for the Argos between 1972 and 1975. I didn't think that the Argos used the boat logo helmet until 1977.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 348
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    In the accompanying picture, I find it odd that Allen is wearing a boat logo helmet when he played for the Argos between 1972 and 1975. I didn't think that the Argos used the boat logo helmet until 1977.
    Maybe the Argos were the first team to have an alternate uniform/helmet.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 70
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    very sad. I hope the CFLPA is supporting former players with mental issues such as these

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    I am not quite old enough to remember this player but I am sure that there are a couple of people on here that have fond memories of Allen: http://theconcussionblog.com/2014/06...ia-and-animus/

I first tuned into the Argonauts' gridiron saga circa 1970, and of course followed the team in earnest in 1971 (that fascinating season, for a team filled with character and characters, including the Head Coach).
    I've kept at least one eye on the Argos ever since: many absolutely brutal seasons, but also some brilliant teams along the way.
    I remember Eric Allen, who was signed with deserving hoopla. A talented player and, as I recall, nobody ever had a bad word to say about him.

A timely and salutary article in the Concussion Blog.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    cf. AB III
    https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cf...200824630.html

Also, an upcoming article in the journal "Neurology" describes experimental evidence of persistent impairment in brain function due to minor (i.e., much less trauma than provided through concussion) head injury.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Remember him well and he was a fun player to watch. Pretty soon we'll be watching tag football.

Never played soccer but has any concussion issues developed with these guys heading a rock hard ball coming at them like a bullet? Seems to me that your brain would become mush after years of that.

Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    Never played soccer but has any concussion issues developed with these guys heading a rock hard ball coming at them like a bullet? Seems to me that your brain would become mush after years of that.
    Nothing from the higher leagues but yes. Pat Grange is believed to be the first soccer player to have developed CTE.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/27/sp...er-player.html
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    Remember him well and he was a fun player to watch. Pretty soon we'll be watching tag football.

I've seen references to soccer "headers" causing brain injury every once in a while over the past 5 or so years.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level

Did he not have a short second stint with the Argos in 1977 or 78. I thought I had read that and that this pic could come from a pre-season game from either of those years. if he never made the roster for any regular season games then he'd have no historical facts or record of him with the team during this time.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    The Flea was an outstanding force in his brief Argo time - could get it done both receiving & rushing - i wish him well.

The concussions issue is a big problem that is way more recognized now compared to the old days.

The going over-board with the attempt to protect QBs now is bordering on laughable & sickening IMO - QBs are barely touched and the refs are throwing flags for nothing = diminishing the game of football IMO; sure protect the players from cheap shots or late hits, but it's not touch football, and the interpretation of the rules now that sees QBs not even being able to be touched is a total joke.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Gill The Thrill View Post
    Did he not have a short second stint with the Argos in 1977 or 78. I thought I had read that and that this pic could come from a pre-season game from either of those years. if he never made the roster for any regular season games then he'd have no historical facts or record of him with the team during this time.
    I think that is correct. I think it was 1977 but not sure.