Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    What is this fascination with black uniforms anyway? I hated it when the Roughriders went all black and I have no idea why the Argo's would go black at all.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
    What is this fascination with black uniforms anyway? I hated it when the Roughriders went all black and I have no idea why the Argo's would go black at all.
    There was a study that came out in the late 1980s, I believe, which showed that teams in the NFL and NHL who wore black took more penalties which was seen as a sign of greater aggressiveness. This study got a lot of play at the time which precipitated many pro sports teams going to black in their uniforms in the late 1980s and early 1990s such as the B.C. Lions (going away from their orange jerseys in which they had their most success since the early to mid-1960s), Los Angeles Kings, New Jersey Devils, Atlanta Falcons and others. This trend has weakened a bit in recent years but not as much as I would like. IMO, CFL teams like Montreal, Saskatchewan and Calgary, given their histories, have no business having black in their uniforms or even as part of third uniforms. I really hope that the Argos aren't going down that route as well when this franchise should really be playing up their rich history instead.

BTW, Bruce McNall, after buying the Argos with Wayne Gretzky and John Candy in 1991 floated the idea briefly of changing the Argos' uniforms to black like he had with the Kings but there wasn't sufficient support from the fan base to do this.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force