Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    I had season seats from 1982-87 with my father and loved the atmosphere at those games (particularly 1982-83), even at high school all my buddies went to Argonaut games and we talked CFL constantly, today doesn't happen.
    This really sticks out for me. How do you get people to be passionate about the Argos as people were back in those days? How do you get the Argos to be part of the "water cooler talk" again?
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    This really sticks out for me. How do you get people to be passionate about the Argos as people were back in those days? How do you get the Argos to be part of the "water cooler talk" again?
    I don't think you ever will, Ravi. Sadly, when you see average players in other sports leagues signing 5 year contracts for $82 million, then you see the highest paid CFL player making less than $500k, people will automatically refer to the CFL as minor league. Unfortunately, society has been trained that money means everything today. There are very few people that will go against a trend.

Having said that, you don't need water cooler talk to be successful. Get them into the right environment, and if people enjoy the experience, they will keep coming back. They don't necessarily have to become die hards, but just people that enjoy themselves. You need to have a full stadium for that, which is why 22-25k max is what you want. *cough*BMO*cough*.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Banned
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Every "sport" will never be the same as long as $$$$$$ is the main objective. They are not "sports" anymore, they are a business. Any old codger would say that 1982-83 sucked compared to "the good ole days".

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Dare View Post
    Every "sport" will never be the same as long as $$$$$$ is the main objective. They are not "sports" anymore, they are a business. Any old codger would say that 1982-83 sucked compared to "the good ole days".
    Not necessarily, the Ex was still packed in those days and the football was highly entertaining, the Argos had just implemented the Run and Shoot offence which utilized slot backs and a lot of pre-snap motion.
    The league had superb QB's as well (Moon, Holloway, Dewalt, Barnes, Hufnagel, Brock, Clements and Luc Tousignant......ok never mind the last guy) my point is quality football stands up no matter what era, my dad is in his late 70's and talks fondly about various Argonaut teams from the 1950's to the latest World Championship in 2012.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Not necessarily, the Ex was still packed in those days and the football was highly entertaining, the Argos had just implemented the Run and Shoot offence which utilized slot backs and a lot of pre-snap motion.
    The league had superb QB's as well (Moon, Holloway, Dewalt, Barnes, Hufnagel, Brock, Clements and Luc Tousignant......ok never mind the last guy) my point is quality football stands up no matter what era, my dad is in his late 70's and talks fondly about various Argonaut teams from the 1950's to the latest World Championship in 2012.
    World Championship...love it! As bad as the quality of football was in 14 though, I'm really missing FNF and Saturday games.