Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Courageous second half but we're not a good enough team right now. Maybe if we get some healthy bodies back (including Owens). Second half of the season should be better.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    Courageous second half but we're not a good enough team right now. Maybe if we get some healthy bodies back (including Owens). Second half of the season should be better.
    Owens made a big difference when he was in there. If we get most of our starters back on offence, we will be fine. Yes, it is disappointing to be 3-6 right now but the second half of the season will make or break the Argos with so many divisional games. Hopefully this team will get healthier for Labour Day.

One change I really want to see made is Trent Guy returning punts. Our kick return game is atrocious and costing us field position. That fumble by Smith in the fourth quarter may have been the biggest play of the game.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    As frustrating as this loss was to watch I think we will be ok when we get some healthy bodies back on offence.
    Getting Adams off the field will be a huge bonus, guy hasn't shown anything at all (except that he can't play)!!
    Defence is getting better, hope Barker is scouring the football world for a decent kick returner, kep Chad only as a receiver, he is too valuable to lose again.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    One change I really want to see made is Trent Guy returning punts. Our kick return game is atrocious and costing us field position. That fumble by Smith in the fourth quarter may have been the biggest play of the game.
    I agree, Ravi. We can either dress Guy in place of Owens (if he is out again) or in place of Adams (and use Sinkfield at Adams' receiving spot).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    It's just about impossible to win when you give up 24 points in a little over a quarter, turn the ball over three or four times and have almost no offensive weapons to work with. Yet we almost pulled it off. If Owens hadn't got hurt, I believe we would have come back to win this game. We desperately need a bunch of offensive players to get healthy and back in the lineup: Durie, Slaton, Coombs, Chiles and Rogers, not necessarily in that order. And of course we desperately need Owens' injury to be not too serious, but it looked pretty painful so I am not too hopeful he'll be back soon.

Mostly good game by the defence, apart from the two long scoring plays (which is admittedly a big "apart from") and the letdown on Edmonton's last possession. Okpalaugo is our MVP so far this year. Great games by Agnew, Underwood and Gabriel, and solid games by Harrell, Laing and Horton.

Our return teams continue to be atrocious. Our kick coverage has improved a lot, especially Greg Jones who was a beast out there on punt cover.

Boatman
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 41
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    wow tuff one. Had to walk away from the tv a fee times .Have to agree with paulwoods13, not a totally bad game from our defense.On offense it would be nice to see Durie,Slaton and Rogers back, but even then it will take a game or two for them to get up to speed.we miss Inman, took him abit but he started to make those great grabs we depend on.special teams well we still have no return. Were is Trent Guy.Is our special teams so hard to learn that it maybe next week for him or anyone to step in.Plan B since Braley has no money to spend on this team,fire Dailey and release Adams.hire Pre or what the heck Chad K or Jeff Johnson .Also i love our coach but i think its time for him to walk somewhat away from the offense, leave it to our OC ( do we have one ?) Note to Mr Barker you need to find at least two new receivers, we have two but they get hurt all the time.Oline could use another good rotation guy.On D a Belli clone that doesnt take penalties

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    The team is doing reasonably well given:
    - a relentless rash of injuries
    - no new (proactive or reactive) money being spent on the team by its owner
    - nowhere to call home (forked-over by scheduling, chronic stadium issue)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    The team is doing reasonably well given:
    - a relentless rash of injuries
    - no new (proactive or reactive) money being spent on the team by its owner
    - nowhere to call home (forked-over by scheduling, chronic stadium issue)
    On the positive side, won't they be moving into their new practice digs this week or have they already done so? Matthew Scianitti said this on Twitter today:
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Achievements:

Level
    It was nice to see changes in the second half.... And we almost did it...and I agree the turnover on the punt return was the key in squashing our comeback.
    We are missing the Oline. I think we need better coaching or different coaching .... When the centre is designing new plans and strategies on the sidelines, either the Edmonton Defense showed something new today or the planning during the week wasn't sufficient.
    I agree with others, Adams needs to be back on the PR ..... Hopefully for next game when some starters return?
    Chad we are all hoping you just have a major bruise .... Yuk
    Our special teams could cover today .... But as all have mentioned our return game is non existent. Can we please run north south not east west .... And WATCH THE BALL.... Damn even Bradwell dropped one.

Overall some area of improvement and some areas of suspect communication and confidence. Defense played much better in the second half, but there were times when the effort didn't look strong. That's where Jones gets his guys to play , it seems, with much more passion and desire .... Without getting penalties.

I'm thinking the Argos are missing Jones contribution in finding players to fill in , and getting the
    D to play with intensity. Similarly missing McAdoo on the Oline. We basically had the same players last year .... Swap Sewelll for Eppele ..... The Oline was much more effective in 2012 and 13

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    Just watched the highlights. A hard-hitting game.

Was that an O Line or a sieve?!

Please sign a high-octane kick returner (e.g., like Winnipeg recently did).

I think there are a couple of other obvious changes that should be made on offence (in addition to sorting out the O Line).

I hope Barker is working on tasks like these.

On the positive side, won't they be moving into their new practice digs this week or have they already done so?
    That is / will be a real plus. I'm hoping too that engaging that performance science organization (new about which appeared a month or two ago) will have good effect.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Looked like the Argos were going to pull it off until that fumble. The Argos going down 10 again killed them.

Banned
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Also, even though Ray took a beating because of NO O line, his playing was just "Ray average".

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argocister View Post
    It was nice to see changes in the second half.... And we almost did it...and I agree the turnover on the punt return was the key in squashing our comeback.
    We are missing the Oline. I think we need better coaching or different coaching .... When the centre is designing new plans and strategies on the sidelines, either the Edmonton Defense showed something new today or the planning during the week wasn't sufficient.
    I agree with others, Adams needs to be back on the PR ..... Hopefully for next game when some starters return?
    Chad we are all hoping you just have a major bruise .... Yuk
    Our special teams could cover today .... But as all have mentioned our return game is non existent. Can we please run north south not east west .... And WATCH THE BALL.... Damn even Bradwell dropped one.

Overall some area of improvement and some areas of suspect communication and confidence. Defense played much better in the second half, but there were times when the effort didn't look strong. That's where Jones gets his guys to play , it seems, with much more passion and desire .... Without getting penalties.

I'm thinking the Argos are missing Jones contribution in finding players to fill in , and getting the
    D to play with intensity. Similarly missing McAdoo on the Oline. We basically had the same players last year .... Swap Sewelll for Eppele ..... The Oline was much more effective in 2012 and 13
    I don't think it would be wise to trade Sewell, a young player with a future for Eppele, a guy who has been on IR all season with a shoulder issue. I also agree about Adams, but who do you replace him with? Key play of the game was that second ill advised screen to Owens that was picked and taken back for a TD, horrible play call.

Tim Burke has the D playing as advertised, great effort. As long as this team remains unable to stay healthy, don't expect any consistent play on offense. We should be able to smother Jeremiah Masoli on Labour Day and win. Why isn't Robert Gill, a speed guy returning kicks? Too many long fields yesterday too.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I suspect what Argocister meant was that Sewell in and Eppele out is the only real change on the line from last year, not that a trade should be made.

Sewell has now started two games and has been mostly dominated both times. Coincidence or not, those are the worst two games the o-line has played as a unit. And both times Rogers was missing. My conclusions are that (a) Rogers is the key guy on the line, and (b) Sewell is not yet ready for prime time. I'm not even close to giving up on him -- the guy is massive, and clearly has outstanding potential. He didn't play much last year in CIS, and not every prospect develops quickly. I believe he will eventually become a long-term starter for us, but doubt it will be this year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I suspect what Argocister meant was that Sewell in and Eppele out is the only real change on the line from last year, not that a trade should be made.

Sewell has now started two games and has been mostly dominated both times. Coincidence or not, those are the worst two games the o-line has played as a unit. And both times Rogers was missing. My conclusions are that (a) Rogers is the key guy on the line, and (b) Sewell is not yet ready for prime time. I'm not even close to giving up on him -- the guy is massive, and clearly has outstanding potential. He didn't play much last year in CIS, and not every prospect develops quickly. I believe he will eventually become a long-term starter for us, but doubt it will be this year.
    Thanks for interpreting my thoughts Paul . I don't think we give up on Sewell either, but the Oline isn't playing up to snuff. Are they not communicating? Possibly their planning isn't functional in a game? The biggest change is lack of McAdoo .

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argocister View Post
    Thanks for interpreting my thoughts Paul . I don't think we give up on Sewell either, but the Oline isn't playing up to snuff. Are they not communicating? Possibly their planning isn't functional in a game? The biggest change is lack of McAdoo .
    I was surprised you, an intelligent poster would suggest a Sewell for Eppele trade....got me thinking your Ti-Cat loving hubby posted such an idea....TSN reported at half time Keeping drew up some blocking schemes....I applaud both Chui and Millanovich for allowing the leader of the unit to do that...that is good coaching.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    I have mixed but positive-leaning feelings about Ray's newfound willingness to run. It's obviously a response to our inconsistent protection, receiver unavailability, plus other teams not respecting our run, and he has actually been quite productive. That shouldn't be too surprising - he was a decent runner for Edmonton, after all. In Toronto, it seems clear that he was told to stop doing it (until recently).

I like the idea of giving him more flexibility. We don't want him getting hit a lot and he *was* too aggressive on his 15 yard run (the first down would have been quite sufficient), but I applaud the strategic change. Of course we need to find ways to get his first or second reads open, so that keeping the ball only makes sense when the D screws up, but that's a different issue.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Any word on Owens? After seeing the hit I was surprised he was able to walk off the field.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Why isn't Robert Gill, a speed guy returning kicks? Too many long fields yesterday too.
    Robert Gill was hurt during the Winnipeg game which is why he was much less noticeable against B.C.

Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post

Sewell is a good example of how most CIS players need some seasoning as a pro before they are ready to step in and start. There is no question that he is struggling with the greater speed and complexity of the professional game and that should not be surprising. Perhaps Scott Mitchell should be the next man up if there are further injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by flafson View Post
    Any word on Owens? After seeing the hit I was surprised he was able to walk off the field.
    According to Milanovich in the Star today, Owens injured his hamstring.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level

Sewell is a good example of how most CIS players need some seasoning as a pro before they are ready to step in and start. There is no question that he is struggling with the greater speed and complexity of the professional game and that should not be surprising.....".
    .."."...
    As an aside .... I sometimes think it is more the OUA players that need more seasoning. Calgarys Jones played centre from the start.... Goosen is playing this year. Lavertu is capable and is playing when needed, Calgary has Jones in his place at the moment. Coombs was capable from the start. ....western players are often capable.