Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Just because someone does not post here, it certainly does not mean they've never followed football. Too suggest that someone does not know what they are talking about because they are complaining about coaching for this years Argos and the standard of play is what I'd call ridiculous. The play throughout most games in the CFL has been pretty poor this season and I've watched the CFL for decades. It has not been this bad since the Renegades were in the league in 2005, which leads me to wonder whether there is enough decent players for 9 teams, let alone 10. I understand the NFL has increased the practice roster for this season which means many young players that may have been available in years past after final cuts there will not be available this season.

Going back to coaching, Milanovich has looked like a deer in the headlights during the second quarter of many games this season and an argument can be made that he has been outcoached by all his previous assistants who've gotten head coaching gigs this season. Sure the Argos bounced back in the fourth quarter in that home win vs Winnipeg, but Winnipeg was coming off a short week because that game was played on a Tuesday. The team has also been flat starting many games and have not played strong for a full 60 minute effort this season, save for their first win vs Saskatchewan in week 2.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    My point was that the team has been decimated with injuries and a horrible schedule in which they have played the majority of their games as the less rested team than their opponent (also giving them less preparation time). Honestly, wait until the end of the season, and if things haven't improved, by all means, go wild on whomever you want. The knee jerk reactions here shouldn't surprise me anymore I guess.

The defence started the season off horribly, but have improved greatly. Let the offence get healthy, and see where the team is then.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Banned
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Gill The Thrill View Post
    Just because someone does not post here, it certainly does not mean they've never followed football. Too suggest that someone does not know what they are talking about because they are complaining about coaching for this years Argos and the standard of play is what I'd call ridiculous. The play throughout most games in the CFL has been pretty poor this season and I've watched the CFL for decades. It has not been this bad since the Renegades were in the league in 2005, which leads me to wonder whether there is enough decent players for 9 teams, let alone 10. I understand the NFL has increased the practice roster for this season which means many young players that may have been available in years past after final cuts there will not be available this season.

Going back to coaching, Milanovich has looked like a deer in the headlights during the second quarter of many games this season and an argument can be made that he has been outcoached by all his previous assistants who've gotten head coaching gigs this season. Sure the Argos bounced back in the fourth quarter in that home win vs Winnipeg, but Winnipeg was coming off a short week because that game was played on a Tuesday. The team has also been flat starting many games and have not played strong for a full 60 minute effort this season, save for their first win vs Saskatchewan in week 2.
    Tell it like it is! I agree 110%!
    Some other Argo fans on this site cannot see the trees for the forest. Never liked Milanovich ... a damp dish rag.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    My point was that the team has been decimated with injuries and a horrible schedule in which they have played the majority of their games as the less rested team than their opponent (also giving them less preparation time). Honestly, wait until the end of the season, and if things haven't improved, by all means, go wild on whomever you want. The knee jerk reactions here shouldn't surprise me anymore I guess.

The defence started the season off horribly, but have improved greatly. Let the offence get healthy, and see where the team is then.
    We're half way through the season. I don't think that I would call that a knee jerk reaction.

As to our coach I like him but I find him too conservative and he sticks with his game plan too long before making adjustments. In my opinion the reason that we lost last season's Eastern Final was because we got out coached.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 462
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    We're half way through the season. I don't think that I would call that a knee jerk reaction.

As to our coach I like him but I find him too conservative and he sticks with his game plan too long before making adjustments. In my opinion the reason that we lost last season's Eastern Final was because we got out coached.
    I agree we got outcoached in last years EF. However, the Argo coach that was out coached is now in Edmonton with a 7-1 record.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I'm not ready to pin this season on Milanovich. I think he is a good coach and will make the needed changes over the next few weeks. Its too bad that changes have to be made as this is the time you want to perfect what you have to make the run for the cup.

I think Milo is the new coach put in a scenario he hasn't encountered yet.... change all your staff and many players then make the Grey. ... and do it on the fly, as in during the season with respect to players . Remember he would come to TO with Barker only if he could choose some of his own coaching staff and keep the staff he wanted. Now that's all changed. This past year for the Argos was similar to the previous 2 years in Montreal where the coaching staff had more than 80% turnover. .... Let's see what happens in the next 12 months. The end of this season and the beginning half of next. I believe Milanovich will change things up and rather than hiring reactively can be proactive and change things up both in staff and player assignments.
    Hufnagel is one that can change things on the fly with respect to player injuries and changes. he was able to replace Jones easy enough and also Campbell. But that was only one aspect of the team.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue90 View Post
    I have a beef and it's concerning the Argo head coach or lack thereof.

How long will he continue to accept the dumb, stupid and unnecessary penalties that this team continues to take? I heard an explanation on TV the previous week, that it is due to the number of new players in the league this week. This is nonsense. Look at the Argo penalties. Shea Emry, Dwight Anderson, Cleoin Lang, Jalil Carter....these are not first year players. There seems to be no accountability for any of these stupid penalties (I remember in particular Shea Emry taking 2 unnecessary roughness penalties on the same play!)

If Scott Milanovich is calling the offensive plays, he should be fired. They gave up a chance to score at the end of the 2nd half yesterday and settled for a field goal. He seemed to be totally unable to respond to Edmonton's defensive rush in the first half, and had no game plan to try to avoid the strong Edmonton pass rush. Ricky Ray was running for his life every time he went back to pass.

It is no wonder that the Argos cannot attract fans to the games the way this team has played. I've have turned off several games this year at half time due to their poor effort (although I stuck with the game yesterday only to be disappointed at the end.)
    The calibre of play this year has been laughable, with all the mistakes, penalties, etc.

What do you guys think?
    Don't let the negative comments deter you. We are all titled to our opinion. I agree about the TV comments how all the new players in the league are the reason for the big increase in flags this year. There is always a large turnover in the CFL. IMO new Chief Ref Johnson decided he was going to have his guys crack down this year, calling everything and anything. They will be told to back off and I think they already have.

Milanovich won't be fired but I'm concerned about some of the decisions being made. I am sure they have their reasons. My biggest concern was the protection of Ricky Ray. Other teams in the past have countered a good pass rushing defense by going to two TE's or big FB who can pass block. I was upset when they threw Matt Sewell into the Sask. game at LT against John Chick. Great way to ruin his confidence. Bringing him inside at Guard helped to protect him somewhat, but this current 5 man line was overmatched by Edmonton and needed help.
    Last year the OLine of Rogers/Washington, Holmes, Keeping, Van Zeyl and King was a better unit IMO in those positions. But Rogers is now on the 6 game and Barker hasn't brought in any Import Tackles for depth. To me they should have played a TE beside Van Zeyl to help slow down Willis and then allow him (the TE) to slip out for a short pass reception occasionally. Zander Robinson has proved he can get some good Yac yards in the past. But these Coaches are the current experts so they will do what they think is the best way to win and it is an 18 game marathon not a sprint. But they have to find a way to give RR more time to set up. To me that's not rocket science. The CFL Classic archives are full of ways to do it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post

And just 2 short seasons ago B.C. overcame a 1-6 start to win the Grey Cup...so yes, IMO these are knee jerk reactions.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    If what Zicarelli is saying is true, Barker and Milanovich do not necessarily have the financial resources that other teams have to build their team. Having said that, I still have much confidence that they will have a contending team on the field by late this season, as long as this injury bug eventually lessens a bit.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 89
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post

I don't think injuries can explain the poor defence. Argos have given up more points than any other team in the league. Shea Emry has been terrible. Numerous bad penalties are taken, allowing their oponents to extend drives. They miss Pat Watkins, as their secondary is very weak. Dwight Anderson has been a joke. Do you actually watch the games?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    I don't think injuries can explain the poor defence. Argos have given up more points than any other team in the league. Shea Emry has been terrible. Numerous bad penalties are taken, allowing their oponents to extend drives. They miss Pat Watkins, as their secondary is very weak. Dwight Anderson has been a joke. Do you actually watch the games?
    Ottawa has given up more points per game than the Argos. Yes, the Argos have given up the most points but they have played more games than several other teams including two more than Hamilton. Emry has been inconsistent but the Argo defence has generally improved as the season has progressed. I would disagree with you that their secondary is "very weak" as well. Furthermore, regarding the number of points given up, how many of those have been defensive touchdowns by the opposition? How many short fields has the defence had to deal with because of an excellent opposition punt or kickoff return or a turnover by the offence deep in their own territory? In the last several weeks, I would suggest that the defence has been the strongest part of this team.

BTW, here are some other stats for you:

The Argos have given up the third fewest yards per game and the third fewest passing yards per game which seems to fly in the face of your assertion about how bad the secondary is. The one area on defence that they have struggled with the most is that they have given up the most rushing yards per game.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Banned
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Welcome aboard Blue90.

Everyone please refrain from the personal attacks going forward.

Thank you.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Yes, pretty well every game for the last 35-40 years.

I'm not going to dispute that Pat Watkins is a huge loss, but I'm pretty sure that Jones had all but signed him before making his official move to Edmonton. As for the points surrendered, the defence has really improved over the last 6 games or so. Don't only look at the points scored, as big kick returns and turnovers have led to short fields lately for the opposition. The defence is doing really well in terms of yards given up recently. We all expected the defence to start slowly this year because of all the new faces, but they have imporved a lot. What we didn't expect was the rash of injuries on offence. Once the offence is healthy, I believe you will see the fortunes of the team change greatly.