Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    So Tim Leiweke may be leaving MLSE at about the same time that Cohon leaves the CFL. Don't be surprised if Cohon has Leiweke's job in a year which could potentially be helpful to the Argos.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    ^Thought the same thing although it might not be Leiweke's job. Aren't they grooming Shanahan for that.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by rdavies View Post
    ^Thought the same thing although it might not be Leiweke's job. Aren't they grooming Shanahan for that.
    Leiweke's job seems to be a "corporate" one which would fit Cohon better than a hockey guy like Shanahan. I have read about them grooming Shanahan for Leiweke's job but Cohon makes more sense to me and I have read in the past that MLSE was interested in hiring him.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    It is no surprise that he is leaving -- it was evident almost from the time he took the job that he would someday be interested in bigger and higher-profile positions and challenges. He has done an excellent job, IMO, and will be very difficult to replace. It would be nice to think he has already forged good relations with MLSE that will help sort out the Argos' ownership mess, regardless of whether he himself lands the MLSE CEO job. But I cannot forget the fact that Keith Pelley's CFL ties disappeared awfully quickly. I'm not saying that will happen with Cohon, only that I am not counting on him to be a saviour from afar.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 92
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    And can we maybe infer that Cohon believes that he can't grow the CFL any bigger than it is now?

Wouldn't it be a bigger feather in his corporate cap to not just revive the league, but bring all its teams to profitability? Wouldn't his resume look that much better post-BMO in four years?

Maybe he finally concluded the CFL is a lost cause in Southern Ontario and decided to get out before things got ugly. On the other hand, Cohon going to MLSE brings tantalizing possibilities, like maybe even some kind of Bell Media-driven corporate restructuring of the entire league.

Either way, it's a shame he's leaving. I was hoping for a more career-type commissioner that we haven't had since Jake Gaudaur. That kind of stability is really important for a league, Pete Rozelle governed the NFL for 29 years, Tagliabue went 17 and there's every reason to believe Goodell will be there until he's an old man.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points

Level
    I agree rich I think he is getting out albeit on a very high note. That was my first thought on hearing the news. Thanks Marc for job well done!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    And can we maybe infer that Cohon believes that he can't grow the CFL any bigger than it is now?

Wouldn't it be a bigger feather in his corporate cap to not just revive the league, but bring all its teams to profitability? Wouldn't his resume look that much better post-BMO in four years?

Maybe he finally concluded the CFL is a lost cause in Southern Ontario and decided to get out before things got ugly. On the other hand, Cohon going to MLSE brings tantalizing possibilities, like maybe even some kind of Bell Media-driven corporate restructuring of the entire league.

Either way, it's a shame he's leaving. I was hoping for a more career-type commissioner that we haven't had since Jake Gaudaur. That kind of stability is really important for a league, Pete Rozelle governed the NFL for 29 years, Tagliabue went 17 and there's every reason to believe Goodell will be there until he's an old man.
    The salary that the CFL commissioner gets is not even in the same stratosphere as the salary that the NFL commissioner gets which, I think, is a primary reason why it will be difficult to get a similar tenure for a CFL commissioner as for one south of the border.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Yes it would, but he would also be four years older and accordingly, on some level at least, quite a bit less marketable than he is now. For upwardly mobile career execs, there's a danger in staying somewhere too long.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 353
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    So Tim Leiweke may be leaving MLSE at about the same time that Cohon leaves the CFL. Don't be surprised if Cohon has Leiweke's job in a year which could potentially be helpful to the Argos.
    I wouldn't be surprised.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Yes it would, but he would also be four years older and accordingly, on some level at least, quite a bit less marketable than he is now. For upwardly mobile career execs, there's a danger in staying somewhere too long.
    Exactly. I'm pretty sure he feels he hit a sweet spot, where most corporate folks believe he did an admirable job with the CFL, and would therefore pay him a handsome sum. He could probably improve the CFL brand further if he stays on, but at what cost to his pocketbook? Plenty of organizations with much deeper pockets willing to pay a man who has turned a failing brand around a lot more money than the CFL could pay him.

Also, being the commissioner of the NFL, would be an end goal for most executives....being the commissioner of the CFL...not so much.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    It is no surprise that he is leaving -- it was evident almost from the time he took the job that he would someday be interested in bigger and higher-profile positions and challenges. He has done an excellent job, IMO, and will be very difficult to replace. It would be nice to think he has already forged good relations with MLSE that will help sort out the Argos' ownership mess, regardless of whether he himself lands the MLSE CEO job. But I cannot forget the fact that Keith Pelley's CFL ties disappeared awfully quickly. I'm not saying that will happen with Cohon, only that I am not counting on him to be a saviour from afar.
    The interesting thing is that Cohon has made it a bigger and more high profile position. I agree that the ties can disappear quickly when under the jackboot of the unholy alliance. I haven't forgotten that brutal cheapshot that Pelley took a while back.

Already have seen Michael Copeland and Paul Beeston mentioned as replacements.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks to Cohon for doing a great job. It's good that he has announced his decision early. Hopefully he can help with input into the desired characteristics for the new CEO. WE can then be selective rather than hire on the fly.

Boatman
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Karen Stintz for commissioner? http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/08...xits-the-race/. Her schedule has just opened up! Obviously unlikely but she'd be an interesting choice.

Banned
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Tau Ceti View Post
    Karen Stintz for commissioner?
    She maybe a fan but does she have any idea how the sport works as an organization? I would wager that the majority here know more than she does. This is the same women that was all for the "Great Lakes World Cup" bid.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Stintz has made a valuable contribution to public life in Toronto, but it's clear that 11 years in municipal politics did not prepare her for corporate politics. Publicly announcing your candidacy is probably the last thing you should do if you really want the job.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Westhead: Plenty of Speculation Over Who Could Lead MLSE
    Rick Westhead TSN Senior Correspondent 8/21/2014

Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment may not need to go so far afield to find their next leader.

With news that president and CEO Tim Leiweke will leave the company next summer, sources close to the MLSE board say it's already possible to compile a list of potential successors.

Canadian Olympic Committee chief executive Chris Overholt is at the head of the list.

Sources tell TSN that Overholt has "absolutely turned the COC around" since he was hired in 2010, first as marketing director, and then as CEO.

Overholt is a Toronto native and a former MLSE employee. He was the company's vice president of sales and service from 1998 to 2003. He knows the company's culture, and also has experience working with the Miami Dolphins and Florida Panthers.

"Chris absolutely would have to be considered a frontrunner," said one source close to MLSE.

Former MLSE president and CEO Richard Peddie told TSN that when he was hired, "I figured 20 per cent of the job would be managing the board."

Peddie said it wasn't easy. He said he clashed for about a year with MLSE board chair Larry Tanenbaum. "We had issues for about 12 months, it wasn't easy," Peddie said, declining to elaborate. "I think now with Bell and Rogers both owning the company the job has only become more challenging. You need someone who really knows his way around a company. I had been a president with five different companies before I was hired by MLSE and it still wasn't easy."

Former Madison Square Garden CEO Scott O'Neil, who helped run the New York Rangers and Knicks, would be another candidate.

And O'Neil was a candidate for the MLSE CEO position when Leiweke was hired.

"Scott had a great interview and got along with (MLSE board chair) Larry Tanenbaum very well," a source told TSN. "He was surprised when he didn't get the job."

O'Neil, a former senior VP of marketing with the NBA, is the chief executive of the New Jersey Devils and the Prudential Center in Newark and the Philadelphia 76ers. Both the 76ers and Devils are owned by Josh Harris, a hedge fund millionaire.

The MLSE job would seem to be a more attractive role. "Scott is a great candidate," Peddie said. "He survived dysfunction with MSG, helped new owners in Philadelphia, and is now in New Jersey with an owner who spends way too much money."

Peddie said it's unlikely that former MLSE executive Tom Anselmi would be considered for the job.

"What's that saying...you can't go home again," Peddie said.

MLSE will also probably consider a few internal candidates to replace Leiweke.

At that top of that list would be Dave Hopkinson, the company's chief commercial officer, who has been responsible for helping MLSE boost revenue.

It's also possible that outgoing Canadian Football League Commissioner Mark Cohon, who also worked with the NBA, might be interested in the job. He similarly told sources years ago that he would love the chance to guide Canada's most powerful sports company.

Leafs President Brendan Shanahan may also garner an interview for the job. Shanahan is well-regarded in hockey circles for his management skills, but lacks the experience many believe he would need to run a company worth more than $2 billion.

It's unclear whether MLSE considered a female candidate when hiring Leiweke and it's similarly uncertain whether the company would pursue a woman today.

Several women should merit consideration including Canadian Stacey Allaster, the chairman and chief executive of the Women's Tennis Association who has expanded the WTA's pool of prize money and landed sponsorships with Xerox, Sony and other companies, and Heidi Ueberroth, who oversaw the NBA's global expansion as president of NBA International.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by rdavies View Post
    Westhead: Plenty of Speculation Over Who Could Lead MLSE

Sources tell TSN that Overholt has "absolutely turned the COC around" since he was hired in 2010, first as marketing director, and then as CEO.
    What does that say about the guy who ran the COC before him?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Stintz has made a valuable contribution to public life in Toronto, but it's clear that 11 years in municipal politics did not prepare her for corporate politics. Publicly announcing your candidacy is probably the last thing you should do if you really want the job.
    I’m of the mindset that would love to see a female cfl commissioner but I don’t think that is Karen. From loosely following the mayor race I don’t think she’s cut out for it.

Agree with Paul in that you can’t be announcing your interest publicly like that – terrible move.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    What does that say about the guy who ran the COC before him?
    It says that the guy before him oversaw the most successful Canadian Olympic team to date and the very fruitful Own the Podium program. I wonder what became of him, must not have done much or been too successful since.