Reply to Thread
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 92
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level

Argos Should Make Big Offer To Michael Sam

If they wanted a little more attention in town, they sure would get it.

The entire North American media machine would be on hand for his first game. The hype would be unlike anything. There'd be a lot of people from all over interested in coming, no pun intended. IMO they could sell 50,000 seats for that game. Plus he's an excellent rush end, we could really use him. The only question is how well the Argos locker room could handle it.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    He would have to have his rights traded from the Alouettes first. It shouldn't be an issue in the lockeroom. I don't think he'll be in the CFL so soon. Might even land on a PR somewhere first in the NFL or will be icked up on waivers.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    I really don't think signing Sam would result in selling 50,000 tickets to a game. If an established star with some name recognition outside football like Ricky Williams couldn't do it, why would Sam? And I don't think "stunt signings" is the best way to build up the franchise. I have no doubt Sam is capable of playing in the CFL, and I think he'd be accepted by most if not all players in the league. But the Argos' biggest need is not rush end, and even if it were, you don't pay QB-type price for a position like that in this league. And even if he did somehow bring in 50,000 fans to his first game, the novelty would soon wear off when casual observers discovered that rush ends seldom make the most thrilling plays. The novelty even wore off for Rocket Ismail, whose position and ability made him far more likely to make the biggest plays in any given game.
    Last edited by paulwoods13; 08-31-2014 at 08:50 PM.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I really don't think signing Sam would result in selling 50,000 tickets to a game. If an established star with some name recognition outside football like Ricky Williams couldn't do it, why would Sam?
    I disagree, Paul. Signing an NFL star is an attempt to attract football fans. Signing the first openly gay football player is an attempt to attract the LGBT community, which is huge in Toronto. I bet that you'd get tens of thousands of people showing up specifically to "support" Sam, and that in itself would also get media recognition.

I doubt that the effect would last longer than a season, but let's not forget that he's supposedly a pretty good football player, too. If he played well, any lingering "Sam effect" would be sufficient to compensate for the payroll hit.

Unfortunately, as Gabe pointed out this is all academic.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    Signing the first openly gay football player is an attempt to attract the LGBT community, which is huge in Toronto. I bet that you'd get tens of thousands of people showing up specifically to "support" Sam, and that in itself would also get media recognition.

I doubt that the effect would last longer than a season . . .
    Even if that were true, I believe the effect would last one game, not one season.

Achievements:
    Level
    I'm not so sure the signing will have a huge effect in the short term but maybe a small effect in the long term. Just thinking of other CFL trailblazers. I mean no doubt Normie Kwong opened the doors for players of Chinese, Asian or even any other minor ethnic origins but did the Als get a boost in attendance from the Chinese community when they drafted Bryan Chui?

I think Sam playing the CFL may promote a more open football culture in the city/country but I'm not convinced that it will draw in new fans for years to come. It may bring in more fans from the LGBT community who enjoy football to catch more games but if they have no interest in the sport in the first place then will Sam really draw them in?

Although Sam did have the 2nd most jerseys sold lately but I'm not sure if total or just for rookies.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    If they wanted a little more attention in town, they sure would get it.

The entire North American media machine would be on hand for his first game. The hype would be unlike anything. There'd be a lot of people from all over interested in coming, no pun intended. IMO they could sell 50,000 seats for that game. Plus he's an excellent rush end, we could really use him. The only question is how well the Argos locker room could handle it.
    Sorry if Doug Flutie couldnt put 50k in the stands, mike sam sure aint doing that.

However, the Argo's should try to sign this guy, because he could HELP the team on the field.

The other stuff attached to him should have no bearing.

Does any CFL team have his rights?
    MakeArgonautsGreatAgain, 2021

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argonaut11xx View Post
    Sorry if Doug Flutie couldnt put 50k in the stands, mike sam sure aint doing that.

However, the Argo's should try to sign this guy, because he could HELP the team on the field.

The other stuff attached to him should have no bearing.

Does any CFL team have his rights?
    montreal does

Banned
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    He's not a circus freak ... to be USED to draw more attendance, he is a good football player. Nothing in the foreseeable future will cause a prolonged attendance spike in Toronto.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    No, he's not much bigger than Logan Harrell so not worth more in salary. Remember the highlight packages on ESPN always show him making the proper reads and making the big plays, they tend to not focus on plays where he misread the offense and why he did not make the Rams roster. He may get a practice roster spot but he may not. He could be a dime a dozen of smallish linebackers whom have speed and were cut by NFL clubs but is getting all the publicity because of issues that have nothing to do with his ability as a football player.

PS - If he did not want the circus freak show mentality to go with signing and drafting, then maybe he could have toned down his appearances in front of a TV camera. TV cameras don't just happen to show up at anybody's house on draft day. I understand an anticipated first rounder with cameras in his home but anybody else is just asking for that extra attention and using it to possibly gain an advantage or to put pressure on teams to pick them...it could be a reason why teams may not want to pursue him.

Boatman
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points
    Level
    Sam is signing with the circus show that is the Jerry Jones Cowboys practice roster.

Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Stouffvillain View Post
    Sam is signing with the circus show that is the Jerry Jones Cowboys practice roster.
    As much as I hate to say it, I'm not sure if the Cowboys are signing Michael Sam the pass rusher or Michael Sam #2 in jersey sales. A press conference for a PR spot? The media doesn't help either. Just let him sign a PR contract like all of the other PR signings across the league, where no one cares.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Naylor had a great interview here.... he says why Sam won't be in the CFL this year.
    I will post it in its own thread as it has many interesting thoughts on the CFL.

http://proxy.autopod.ca/podcasts/chu...e%20naylor.mp3

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argocister View Post
    Naylor had a great interview here.... he says why Sam won't be in the CFL this year.
    I will post it in its own thread as it has many interesting thoughts on the CFL.

http://proxy.autopod.ca/podcasts/chu...ave naylor.mp3
    I still have to listen to this interview and thanks for posting but one reason Sam won't be in the CFL for at least another year or two, if it ever happens, is because being an NFL draft pick pretty well guarantees you at least a year or two of tryouts/PR time down south. I can't remember the last NFL draft pick who showed up in the CFL in the same year that he was drafted south of the border. Maybe Rocket Ismail in 1991?
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force