Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level

September 13, 2014: Toronto Argonauts vs. Calgary Stampeders

vs.

Week 12
    Saturday, September 13, 2014 at 7:00pm EDT.
    McMahon Stadium. Calgary, AB.

TV:
    TSN
    Video Webcast: TSN Go - ESPN3
    Radio: TOR: TSN 1050 - CGY: CHQR 770
    Audio Webcast: TOR: Here - CGY: Here
    Satellite Radio: SiriusXM

Depth Charts: TOR: Here - CGY: Here

Pre-Game Preview: Here

Post-Game Update: Calgary Second Half Comeback Sinks Boatmen

Final Score: 33-40
    Last edited by T-Bone; 09-15-2014 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Post-Game Update

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I'm thinking ..... Coming off the bye, we've had time for some good soul searching ..... Good planning.... Good rest .... A good week of practice at one location ... Some key offensive threats anxious to play hard ..... I think it's time for the Stamps to be brought down to earth by the East and who better to do it than Ricky and the Argonauts!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argocister View Post
    I'm thinking ..... Coming off the bye, we've had time for some good soul searching ..... Good planning.... Good rest .... A good week of practice at one location ... Some key offensive threats anxious to play hard ..... I think it's time for the Stamps to be brought down to earth by the East and who better to do it than Ricky and the Argonauts!
    Good outlook! I also think it provides a great opportunity to hit the "reset" button and come back a better team. I think we will see a much improved side, losing a close one to the Stamps.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    That's the spirit, guys! The bye certainly gives us a chance to get most of the key elements relatively healthy and the coaching staff time to watch game film and make adjustments. Having Owens and Durie back will certainly help the offence (you could almost see Ricky looking in vain for Durie as the pressure overwhelmed him). I do think serious adjustments are needed on the O-line. Ray is only effective when he has time to make his reads and throw the ball and he isn't being given that opportunity consistently enough. The defence is improving over the course of the season and special teams are doing their part (especially Waters, who's the best punter/PK in the league right now). Just "Pull Together", boys, and we'll straighten this thing out (is 9-9 too much to wish for?)!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Calgary will be coming off back to back games against their Provincial rival and may be banged up. If we have Owens and Durie back, which I believe we will, I see this as a trap game for the Stampeders.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Calgary will be coming off back to back games against their Provincial rival and may be banged up. If we have Owens and Durie back, which I believe we will, I see this as a trap game for the Stampeders.
    I was thinking the exact same thing, gil. Also, the Argos have fared well in Calgary in recent years as they haven't lost a game there since 2010.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Achievements:
    Level
    Don't see us winning this one but am hoping for a much better fight with hopefully some healthy bodies back!

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I used to hate Argo road trips to McMahon because they would always lose. Recently, the team has had a bit of success there and hopefully Durie and Owens are back, but it isn't going to matter if the offensive line continues to be offensive.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    I used to hate Argo road trips to McMahon because they would always lose. Recently, the team has had a bit of success there and hopefully Durie and Owens are back, but it isn't going to matter if the offensive line continues to be offensive.
    If we get some bodies back (Owens, Durie, Chiles) etc it will give the whole team a huge lift, including the O-Line, you will also have guys in there that know the Argo system inside-out. They will be able to expand their play book again and receivers will be running the correct routes which most importantly will benefit Ray.
    This will take more than one game to correct but if the returning guys can stay healthy (and that's a big if) and the D continues to progress and develop more chemistry then we should be ok.
    Unfortunately in this frustrating season so far none do us are exactly sure what the Argonauts are for sure.
    Hopefully better days ahead!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Although the return of Owens and Durie are extremely important to the Argos hopes over the rest of the season, I think that an improved ground game is also vital. This is especially true with regard to the most talented team in the CFL. The Stampeders will simply pin their ears and rush Ray through a weak offensive line, often getting to him before he can find anyone unless the Argos establish a ground attack early in the game that makes Calgary pay when it ignores the run.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    Although the return of Owens and Durie are extremely important to the Argos hopes over the rest of the season, I think that an improved ground game is also vital. This is especially true with regard to the most talented team in the CFL. The Stampeders will simply pin their ears and rush Ray through a weak offensive line, often getting to him before he can find anyone unless the Argos establish a ground attack early in the game that makes Calgary pay when it ignores the run.
    That's a great point Jerry, unfortunately I don't think any of our RB's concern anyone on the league, that is one position I hope Rosetti and staff have been scouring at the NFL camps.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    That's a great point Jerry, unfortunately I don't think any of our RB's concern anyone on the league, that is one position I hope Rosetti and staff have been scouring at the NFL camps.
    My comment was more an optimistic hope. While I don't think we have good RBs, I am also frustrated by Milanovich's virtual abandoning of the run on an ongoing basis, which puts even more strain on a relatively weak O-line.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    My comment was more an optimistic hope. While I don't think we have good RBs, I am also frustrated by Milanovich's virtual abandoning of the run on an ongoing basis, which puts even more strain on a relatively weak O-line.
    That's probably why Milanovich doesn't stress the run game as much, when Kackert was the guy the Argos mixed in the run extremely well because he gave them excellent production and was a threat to go all the way anytime he got the ball, it gave our offence balance, we have lacked that since last season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    To be fair, in the games where the Argos run was working (Saskatchewan and Winnipeg home games) the Argos did run a fair bit. It's difficult to commit to the run when you are getting gains of around 1 or 2 yards on first down. It puts a lot of pressure on the line to hold their blocks longer on 2nd and long situations. Of course, with the depleted line-up, it has been a catch 22, as the inconsistency of the receiving core has meant a lot of 2nd and longs anyways.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    To be fair, in the games where the Argos run was working (Saskatchewan and Winnipeg home games) the Argos did run a fair bit. It's difficult to commit to the run when you are getting gains of around 1 or 2 yards on first down. It puts a lot of pressure on the line to hold their blocks longer on 2nd and long situations. Of course, with the depleted line-up, it has been a catch 22, as the inconsistency of the receiving core has meant a lot of 2nd and longs anyways.
    In watching the Montreal game today, the Als got into a lot of trouble running the ball consistently on first down in the first half. They weren't getting any more than a yard or two which forced them into second and long and they struggled. Defences in this league now are just too good on second and long that you really can't stick with a running game that isn't working for very long. Ottawa had similar problems on Friday night as well.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    That's probably why Milanovich doesn't stress the run game as much, when Kackert was the guy the Argos mixed in the run extremely well because he gave them excellent production and was a threat to go all the way anytime he got the ball, it gave our offence balance, we have lacked that since last season.
    Kackert was one of a very rare breed, who had the vision, the explosiveness and the power to make a mediocre O-line look good. That allowed coaching ( McAdoo) to be concentrated on pass blocking. The Argo O-line was never much good at run blocking. With the departures of McAdoo, Eppele and Washington plus injuries, the O-line has now been able to also delete effective pass blocking from their resume. The present O-line is designed only for stationary pocket passing. They are very large, rather immobile and relatively unathletic - all offensive tackle stereotypes. Argos will never have a consistent traditional ground game with this group, or other similar linemen.
    Yet the fact remains that 3 times this year the Argos have gained more than 100 yards rushing - 3 times this year the Argos have scored more than 30 points - 3 times this year the Argos have won. Yes they are the same 3 games.
    Perhaps it is time for the Argo offence to include some different 'running plays' including shovel passes. wheel routes and screens -- and they might even think of some running plays with some misdirection/deception. Difficult with the shotgun for sure, but possible. The present running game is merely an afterthought -- an add-on to set up the passing. It is far from a legitimate part of the Argo offensive thinking. There needs to be a change in philosophy. You can't go on forever going in to a gunfight with only three bullets in your six-shooter.
    One oar still in the water !

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    It's very obvious that Milanovich is more conservative then our very conservative PM. Wouldn't it be nice to see a trick play?
    Our O line has been crap the last three weeks. Calgary wins but hopefully doesn't blow the doors off of us. Calgary continues to win and wins the 2014 Grey Cup. This is what happens when you are stacked with talent that stays in Calgary. I can name more Calgary players than I can Argos. The no name Argos float through the rest of the season winning but a few more games.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    It's very obvious that Milanovich is more conservative then our very conservative PM. Wouldn't it be nice to see a trick play?
    Our O line has been crap the last three weeks. Calgary wins but hopefully doesn't blow the doors off of us. Calgary continues to win and wins the 2014 Grey Cup. This is what happens when you are stacked with talent that stays in Calgary. I can name more Calgary players than I can Argos. The no name Argos float through the rest of the season winning but a few more games.
    That is exactly what stable ownership and management brings to the table, would be nice when only 3-4 roster "tweaks" are necessary yearly to improve the team and we the fans know who we are watching instead of the 15 or so yearly player turnover which ultimately affects the on field product.
    Kudos to Hufnagel and the Stamps for running a good program!

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Hard not to have envy with all of the new stadiums popping up and great coaching in the west right now. We've lost big talent on the field and in the coaching ranks.
    Just can't wait to hear all about what Toronto needs to do while partying at Grey Cup in Vancouver. I'll be drinking, I'll be drinking!
    You just get sick of drunk western fans putting their two cents in.

Boatman
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points
    Level
    I think that the Argos can put up a fight, if Owens and Durie are back. At the same time first game back for both of them will I doubt they will be in their regular form. I don't think that they walk out of Calgary with a W.

The Stamps are too good in all aspects of the game right now and Jon Cornish is now back and looking good. It's going to be a very tough test for our defense to contain the Stamps O.

As some of you have already touched on it will be important for the Argos to get the run game going. When all the receivers went down I was expecting the Argos to lean more heavily on the run than they have. I don't think that our RB's aren't talented but rather the Oline has let them down a little. Throw in that the Argos are usually chasing the game and it doesn't lend itself to an establish the run game mentality. Rhythm is important for RB's and Slaton or Steele are never able to get into one. Even if the wideouts can stretch the field a bit and give some dump off opportunities to the backs it could go a long way to help them get in the groove of the game.

The Stamps D is tough as nails. If the Argos are going to have a hope they need a great game from their O.