Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level

Reasons why the Argos can make it to Grey Cup

I have been reading all of the reasons on here in recent days as to why the Argos won't make it to the Grey Cup but I would suggest that there are some reasons why they can still make it.

1) Ticats are without Zach Collaros and seem like an entirely different team. Yes, their defence is still very formidable but they don't have the same confidence as a team with Jeff Mathews at the helm. Even playing them at Tim Hortons Field, I will take Trevor Harris or Ricky Ray anytime over Jeff Mathews in a QB-driven league.

2) Argos have beaten Ottawa 3 times this season and seem to match up well with the RedBlacks. (Yeah, I know that Hamilton has also beaten the Argos three times but that was with Collaros at QB.) The two wins that the Argos had in Ottawa occurred with the RedBlacks playing at the top of their game just as they are doing now. I remember some on here thinking that the Argos would lose those two games for sure but they won both times and were very deserving of victory each time.

3) The Argos' kicking game is about to get a big shot in the arm with the return of Swayze Waters. He may not do the kickoffs but will do everything else. Up until the B.C. game, the Argos hadn't lost a game this year because of Waters' absence but their kicking game was one of the key factors in the loss the other night. If Justin Palardy had kicked in that game instead, the Argos may very well have won. Jake Rogers was terrible and is now an ex-Argo. In any case, a healthy Waters gives the Argos a big leg up on both Hamilton and Ottawa. Justin Medlock is an excellent FG kicker but not as good of a punter. The RedBlacks lost Argonaut fan favourite Ronnie Pfeffer today to what look liked a serious leg injury. The kicking game could be a huge difference-maker in favour of the Argos in the coming weeks.

4) The defence has improved. It isn't a shut-down defence by any means but it has played better since mid-season save for the game that the Argos lost to Montreal in Hamilton. I was quite encouraged by the play of the defence against a B.C. offence that has been on fire. Yes, they lost their composure on a couple of third quarter B.C. possessions which cost them but those are correctable errors. If the offence can get back on track at all, the defence might be good enough to get the Argos to the championship game.

5) The offence has been quite productive for most of the season. They have struggled over the last three weeks in particular but I also don't think that they are finished. There is too much talent on this offence IMO for it to continue to struggle. They have to get the offensive line as healthy as possible for the post-season and hopefully that can be enough to get it back playing as it was earlier in the season.

6) The Argos have one regular season game left to rest players who are nicked up so that they can be as healthy as possible for the playoffs but also to try to get back on the winning track and maybe find some answers going into the post-season. I would expect both Ray and Harris to play on Friday and for Milanovich to base his decision on the divisional semi-final QB largely based on that game. Maybe they give Brandon Whitaker a rest and see if Curtis Steele and/or Chad Kackert can show enough to perhaps be part of the post-season offence. Who exactly will be the receivers in the playoffs? Again, this game on Friday night can hopefully help the Argos figure this stuff out while also getting back on the winning track.

I know some on here are counting this team out right now but I maintain that they still have a good shot at being the team coming out of the east. Yes, a lot has to fall into place but I believe it is doable. Who's with me?
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    True all three teams have positives and negatives in the east, the RedBlacks however appear to be the favorites.
    Our road appears how it will start in Hamilton and that has been a graveyard for us this year.
    We do need Swayze back to ensure the special team difference while the QB situation has to straighten itself out.
    Harris for me give us the best chance to win and the running game must improve as is the key in playing outside in November.
    The defence is unpredictable to say the least so all bets are off for them to win us a close game?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    I'm with you, Ravi. East is still wide open, IMO, and we have major depth at QB -- something no one else in this division has.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Argonauts are heading into the playoffs with no momentum.
    Harris started the season well but hasn't been nearly as good for most of the second half of this season.
    Ray still isn't physically ready.
    Toronto's O-Line play simply isn't good enough in either pass protection or run blocking.
    Defences ignore any threat of the run and concentrate on neutralizing the Argos dink and dunk pass attack.
    Argonauts defensive front 7 has shown signs that they can be effective however Casey Creehan is our DC.
    Soft against the run (Casey Creehan is our DC).
    Toronto's secondary is the weak link and hasn't improved at all this season, soft on coverage and tackling (Casey Creehan is our DC).
    Idiotic penalties and undisciplined play have plagued this team all season, the scary part is they talk about it after every game and do f**k all to correct it.
    **Against Ottawa we have a shot, however Ottawa's D looks pretty solid and Burris has some weapons on O that should concern Toronto**
    **Against Hamilton the Argonauts do not play well in Hamilton at all. Steinauer schemes well against Milanovich's "complex" offence while Toronto's D has the habit of making young QB's look better than they are**
    Go Argos!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 400
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Argonauts can compete for the Grey Cup and if they can play a complete game, something we haven't seen this season, they will have a good chance.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Argonauts are heading into the playoffs with no momentum.
    Harris started the season well but hasn't been nearly as good for most of the second half of this season.
    Ray still isn't physically ready.
    Toronto's O-Line play simply isn't good enough in either pass protection or run blocking.
    Defences ignore any threat of the run and concentrate on neutralizing the Argos dink and dunk pass attack.
    Argonauts defensive front 7 has shown signs that they can be effective however Casey Creehan is our DC.
    Soft against the run (Casey Creehan is our DC).
    Toronto's secondary is the weak link and hasn't improved at all this season, soft on coverage and tackling (Casey Creehan is our DC).
    Idiotic penalties and undisciplined play have plagued this team all season, the scary part is they talk about it after every game and do f**k all to correct it.
    **Against Ottawa we have a shot, however Ottawa's D looks pretty solid and Burris has some weapons on O that should concern Toronto**
    **Against Hamilton the Argonauts do not play well in Hamilton at all. Steinauer schemes well against Milanovich's "complex" offence while Toronto's D has the habit of making young QB's look better than they are**
    Go Argos!!!

Yep - a lot of that makes good sense, unfortunately.

As far as the play-offs - i like the Argos chances against Hamilton better than playing Ottawa - even though the Argos beat Ottawa all 3 times this year.

The Ticats have a very good defence IMO and Medlock is an accurate FG kicker, but a lousy punter and that could hurt in a big game; and a Matthews led offence should scare no one - they have no faith in a run game to help him; just double up on his favorite target Tasker and take him away completely (that pick by the RedBlacks safety late in the game is how it's done) and try to let Matthews beat you with deep throws = he will throw picks, unless poor coverage let's Sinkfield get deep, and Matthews doesn't realize how good Fantuz can be as a possession receiver. Agreed that a Ray/Harris combo at QB should blow away Matthews - it will just take some decent to smart coaching and play-calling for the Argo offence to put some drives and TDs together - hopefully Millanovich and Brady are capable of this but that is a potential big factor if they are stupid as they have been at times.

Don
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I have been reading all of the reasons on here in recent days as to why the Argos won't make it to the Grey Cup but I would suggest that there are some reasons why they can still make it.

1) Ticats are without Zach Collaros and seem like an entirely different team. Yes, their defence is still very formidable but they don't have the same confidence as a team with Jeff Mathews at the helm. Even playing them at Tim Hortons Field, I will take Trevor Harris or Ricky Ray anytime over Jeff Mathews in a QB-driven league.

2) Argos have beaten Ottawa 3 times this season and seem to match up well with the RedBlacks. (Yeah, I know that Hamilton has also beaten the Argos three times but that was with Collaros at QB.) The two wins that the Argos had in Ottawa occurred with the RedBlacks playing at the top of their game just as they are doing now. I remember some on here thinking that the Argos would lose those two games for sure but they won both times and were very deserving of victory each time.

3) The Argos' kicking game is about to get a big shot in the arm with the return of Swayze Waters. He may not do the kickoffs but will do everything else. Up until the B.C. game, the Argos hadn't lost a game this year because of Waters' absence but their kicking game was one of the key factors in the loss the other night. If Justin Palardy had kicked in that game instead, the Argos may very well have won. Jake Rogers was terrible and is now an ex-Argo. In any case, a healthy Waters gives the Argos a big leg up on both Hamilton and Ottawa. Justin Medlock is an excellent FG kicker but not as good of a punter. The RedBlacks lost Argonaut fan favourite Ronnie Pfeffer today to what look liked a serious leg injury. The kicking game could be a huge difference-maker in favour of the Argos in the coming weeks.

4) The defence has improved. It isn't a shut-down defence by any means but it has played better since mid-season save for the game that the Argos lost to Montreal in Hamilton. I was quite encouraged by the play of the defence against a B.C. offence that has been on fire. Yes, they lost their composure on a couple of third quarter B.C. possessions which cost them but those are correctable errors. If the offence can get back on track at all, the defence might be good enough to get the Argos to the championship game.

5) The offence has been quite productive for most of the season. They have struggled over the last three weeks in particular but I also don't think that they are finished. There is too much talent on this offence IMO for it to continue to struggle. They have to get the offensive line as healthy as possible for the post-season and hopefully that can be enough to get it back playing as it was earlier in the season.

6) The Argos have one regular season game left to rest players who are nicked up so that they can be as healthy as possible for the playoffs but also to try to get back on the winning track and maybe find some answers going into the post-season. I would expect both Ray and Harris to play on Friday and for Milanovich to base his decision on the divisional semi-final QB largely based on that game. Maybe they give Brandon Whitaker a rest and see if Curtis Steele and/or Chad Kackert can show enough to perhaps be part of the post-season offence. Who exactly will be the receivers in the playoffs? Again, this game on Friday night can hopefully help the Argos figure this stuff out while also getting back on the winning track.

I know some on here are counting this team out right now but I maintain that they still have a good shot at being the team coming out of the east. Yes, a lot has to fall into place but I believe it is doable. Who's with me?
    1) I agree that the Tiger-Cats are not the same team without Zach Collaros. The Argos would still need to come up with a game plan on offense against the Tiger-Cats defense, which Milanovich and Brady were unable to do in three games this season. The key with Jeff Mathews is rattle him, force him to panic and throw an interception. I'm not sure I'd take Ray over Mathews at this point. Ray might not turn the ball over, but he's limited after his shoulder injury. The defense generated 5 turnovers on Friday, but before that hadn't really been great at generating them so they'll need to step up in a playoff game.

2) The Argos have done well against the Redblacks, there's no denying that.

3) The return of Waters will certainly improve the punting. However (and I realized it is a small sample), Waters is 4/7 kicking FG's. Hopefully that's not a trend that continues upon his return.

4) As you say though, the defense may be good enough, but only if the offense returns to form. Also, a special teams unit that doesn't afford the opposing team the ball at midfield every drive will help. Also, I cannot accept the reference to penalties as correctable given that (i) it is week 19 and it's been an issue throughout the season and (ii) it's been a hallmark of the Milanovich-era. Anyways, can't give these guys (especially Burris) all the time in the world to throw. D-Line needs to step it up!

5) What worries me is that nobody has been able to seemingly get open downfield for 3 straight weeks! That just shouldn't happen, and in addition, it just seems like Hamilton, Calgary and Edmonton are able to shut down the offense too easily. The offensive line is definitely key.

6) A win is important especially against Winnipeg for momentum in the playoffs.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Love the optimism, but I don't see this Argonaut team going very far. Ottawa is playing well at the right time of the year and while Hamilton's offense sucks without Collaros their defense and special teams can win them games. The Argonauts are the opposite of both those teams, getting cold at the worst possible time, defense has played a bit better as of late, but not as good as either Hamilton's nor Ottawa's and even with Swayze back the special teams should get better, but we still don't have much of a return game. The Argos offense is offensive as of right now and until the play calling changes I don't see much hope.