Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    The endzones would be about 3 yards as it stands currently, or 8 if they played on a 100 yd field. A company that I frequently deal with was the low tender on the demolition of the stands and they are scheduled to be in there right after TFC finishes in October. I do not see any scenario that involves the Argos playing at BMO this year.
    Thanks ArgoZ. That is exactly what I thought. There doesn't seem to be more than 5 yards currently beyond either goal line for soccer. I would seriously doubt the league would allow a game to take place on a 100 yard field or with end zones that small. I'm sure in any event the games would be played at the dome, but it could make for some team (be it the Argos or their opponents) to really get screwed and play a 2 game in 4 days scenario.

I really just can't wait until we are out of the dome.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Frank Zicarelli is reporting and Steve Milton tweeted that the Argos could be playing home games in Hamilton in October if the Jays make it to the MLB playoffs:

THE HAMILTON ARGOS?
    HAMILTON — Tim Hortons Field served up a helping hand of CFL football holiday Monday as the Ticats ushered in their home opener against the Argos.
    It was Toronto that helped open the building last Labour Day and it could very well play host to Argos home games in October.
    As odd as it may sound, an Argos home game in the Hammer is a real possibility, especially with the red-hot Blue Jays moving into a tie for a wild-card berth.
    There’s a lot of euphoria around the baseball team given the many big-time moves the franchise engineered prior to the trade deadline, playoff baseball likely to be in the air with a post-season run back in Toronto since the glory days of the back-to-back World Series titles.
    In other words, the Argos need a place to play and there aren’t any CFL-ready venues in the GTA area, which is why Tim Hortons, the home of Ticats football, is very realistic.
    In fact, some say negotiations have already begun, which seems logical in the wake of the Jays’ emergence, that will see the Argos play home games in Hamilton.
    How many remains unclear, but the Argos have four home games in baseball’s traditional post-season month, beginning with a date against Ottawa on Oct. 4.
    The Argos have been down this road before, but this year is different because the Jays are legitimate post-season threats and not some paper contender.
    Being sold to new owners with a new place to call home next season has presented the Argos with some unique challenges in 2015, but this latest is almost hard to stomach.
    It began with the Argos playing their season opener, a home game, in Alberta against the Eskimos in Fort McMurray, a game that drew flies.
    The Argos are a tough sell at home, even in the best of times, but imagine how hard it will be to sell the Argos if they have to move to Hamilton.
    There’s simply no place to play.
    Toronto returns on Labour Day this season to the Hammer and play host to the Ticats at Rogers Centre on Sept. 11.
    Dealing with distractions have been part of the Argos’ way for years and it almost seems fitting, poetic justice in some ways, that more has been piled on the franchise, even with so much to look forward to with engaged owners stepping in and a new playing home where fan-friendly dates and in-game experiences can be created.
    But just the thought of the Hamilton Argos is one that’s hard to stomach.
    Another alternative is Varsity Stadium, which has played host to the Argos in the past three pre-seasons, but it doesn’t seat many, meaning the Argos risk alienating their subscribers, who were felt betrayed when the Argos went to northern Alberta.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/08/03...os-in-hamilton
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    When the Argos leave Rogers viper's nest, I'm going to throw a party.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Too bad that the Argonauts couldn't in someway have blocked The Jays from ever being welcome at CNE Stadium.I can't recall any ill will by any Argonaut fan or the team at the time. It was an exciting time in Toronto as was moving to Skydome. Now look at how corporate greed has tarnished things from an Argonaut perspective.

If we have to play in Hamilton I sure hope we can get our money refunded. NO way in hell will I be traveling from here to Hamilton. It's 2.5 hours just to get to Pearson when doing the speed limit. This year could really turn out to be a total shite show.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    When the Argos leave Rogers viper's nest, I'm going to throw a party.
    If there are strippers there, count me in.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    Now look at how corporate greed has tarnished things from an Argonaut perspective.
    BULLSEYE.....thats why i dislike Rogers so much...TSN (bellmedia) always covers the Jays in a fair way, and is gushing over them now. Rogers media??..they are worse than Paul Godfrey, and thats almost pure EVIL.
    MakeArgonautsGreatAgain, 2021

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    Too bad that the Argonauts couldn't in someway have blocked The Jays from ever being welcome at CNE Stadium.I can't recall any ill will by any Argonaut fan or the team at the time. It was an exciting time in Toronto as was moving to Skydome. Now look at how corporate greed has tarnished things from an Argonaut perspective.

If we have to play in Hamilton I sure hope we can get our money refunded. NO way in hell will I be traveling from here to Hamilton. It's 2.5 hours just to get to Pearson when doing the speed limit. This year could really turn out to be a total shite show.
    We may be able to make it to a game or two in Hamilton but no way can we make it to all 4.

We will want a refund option too.

Quote Originally Posted by argonaut11xx View Post
    BULLSEYE.....thats why i dislike Rogers so much...TSN (bellmedia) always covers the Jays in a fair way, and is gushing over them now. Rogers media??..they are worse than Paul Godfrey, and thats almost pure EVIL.
    I was actually quite surprised when Rogers Sportsnet led with the CFL on their highlight show a few days ago.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    I was actually quite surprised when Rogers Sportsnet led with the CFL on their highlight show a few days ago.
    Whaaaaaa? was that the Ticats win? like the Globe headlines telling of a Ticat win .... written by the hamilton reporter .... must be that the Hamilton audience is the Globes mainstay ( whats the sarcastic emoji? we need the small devil ! )

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    It's not as if you have long homestands in the MLB playoffs like you do during the season. The Argo home date schedule was only changed once in 1993, and the Blue Jays have made the playoffs since moving into skydome 4 times.

1989 - Lost ALCS in 5 games to Oakland ( Jays had 3 home dates and affected 0 Argo home dates)
    1991 - Lost ALCS in 5 games to Minnesota ( Jays had 3 home dates and affected 0 Argo home dates)
    1992 - Jays won WS, Played 12 games total, including 6 at home. ( 0 Argo home games in conflict)
    1993 - Jays won WS, and played 6 home games. (1 game affected, as a home date vs Calgary was moved because it conflicted with Game 6 of the World Series which was played on Saturday, October 23)

That Argo home date vs Calgary in 1993 was moved to Monday, October 25 @ 7pm. Even remember the ridiculous score...Flutie led Stampeders killed the Argos 55-7, and even remembered 2 faced Bob McCown mocking the Argos back then, and mentioning something about why they even bothered playing the game or why anyone would care?

This just 2 years after "bobcat" hosted a weekly Argo post-game show on 1430 CJCL, before they went to all sports. I wonder whose butt he was kissing in the organization to be willing to host that. I remember he was very low key and a matter of fact in just providing game stats and details. He even had some call-ins. It was not necessarily related to having McNall, Gretzky and Candy owning the team because I believe he hosted the same show in 1990 when Ornest was still the owner, but I could be wrong. I know for certain he hosted a low-key post-game Argo radio show in 1991 so it very well could've been McCown wanting to be in the company of McNall, Gretzky and Candy...maybe he wanted to brush up against some of the celebrities that were coming to Toronto for those games.

Also, IIRC, the Skydome conversion took only 1 day in 1993 as the Blue Jays hosted a World Series victory parade and get together immediately on Sunday, after winning the World Series (after the Joe Carter home run) on Saturday night because many players were itching to get outta town asap. They invited fans to the Skydome to hear victory speeches from players, management and even dignitaries (politicians) and this lasted until 4 pm or later on the Sunday between the last World Series game and the rescheduled Argo game.

If the Jays do have a long playoff run, there's basically a possible Wild Card home game which would be played on the Tuesday, October 6 date when the Argos are scheduled to play Ottawa. I could see this game being moved to Thursday, Oct 8 as TSN does not have a CFL game scheduled that day. The Jays would be starting a best of 5 ALDS on the road if they're playing in the WC game so this would be possible. If the Jays win the division, they may start an ALDS series at home on either the Wednesday or the Thursday. This may present a problem with the original scheduled Argo game on the Tuesday. Not as much with the Argos as they have a bye the previous but more for Ottawa who have a Thursday night home game on Oct 1st. I could see this game moving to Monday, Oct 5. It would reduce a days prep for Ottawa, but teams have played with 3 days rest plenty of times, especially when they do the Labour Day Monday and Friday rematch.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    I recall two Argos home games being moved from Friday night to Sunday afternoon in 1985 (vs. Calgary and Montreal). I also thought that an Argos home game was affected in '89. They ended up playing Ottawa on Thanksgiving Monday afternoon but I believe that game was originally scheduled for another date. The biggest difference between now and the early 1990s is this supposed 3 day turnaround to convert the field from baseball to football. This why the Argos would be potentially greatly affected if the Jays make the playoffs and are in there for any length of time.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Don't remember any other game rescheduled, especially in 1985 which saw the Jays host ALCS games 1,2,6 and 7 on consecutive tuesdays and Wednesdays as they played in KC in the weekend.

The 3 day turnaround is complete BS...That's just Rogers Centre not wanting to bring in the manpower. It's just a matter pf pressing a button or lever to move the 100 level seating configuration to the rectangular Football/Soccer shape and then folding or moving those rows of seats in or out of the way. Yah, they may have to roll on a field or re-paint lines but this could easily be done in a day. If moving seats on a track or on wheels is that much of a chore...high school and University gymnasiums would be closed for days just to host a game with their portable bleachers, yet 4 people is sufficient to roll down those stands, some of them as high as 10-15 rows of bleachers. Surely the Rogers Centre has more than 4 people in a conversion team, but who knows the way they run that place?

Remember playoff homestands in the MLB playoffs are either 2 days or 3 days. Teams are either hosting games 1,2, and 5 in the ALDS or hosting Games 3, and 4. In the LCS and World Series, they're either hosting two 2 game homestands; Games 1,2 and then games 6,and 7 or hosting one 3 game homestand hosting games 3,4 and 5. Remember they don't play every day in the baseball playoffs as they have travel days off between cities and venues. Baseball also schedules their playoffs so that no 2 playoff games are scheduled at the same start time for TV broadcasters. This means Weekend homestands are altered to Friday, Saturday and Sunday, or Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

It's not as if Baseball and Football never shared venues. It was common place in the 70's and 80's. I've never remember the Pirates, Phillies or the Big Red Machine and Oakland A's kicking out their NFL teams for 2 weeks because they were winning World Series in Stadiums that were used for Football and Baseball. Is the Argo contract that bad, where they could be kicked out on a whim...mind you I never remember another team having to move a playoff date for the Wiggles.
    Last edited by Gill The Thrill; 08-07-2015 at 02:04 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 862
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Gill The Thrill View Post
    The 3 day turnaround is complete BS...That's just Rogers Centre not wanting to bring in the manpower. It's just a matter pf pressing a button or lever to move the 100 level seating configuration to the rectangular Football/Soccer shape and then folding or moving those rows of seats in or out of the way. Yah, they may have to roll on a field or re-paint lines but this could easily done in a day. If moving seats on a track or on wheels is that much of a chore...high school and University gymnasiums would be closed for days just to host a game with their portable bleachers, yet 4 people is sufficient to roll down those stands, some of them as high as 10-15 rows of bleachers. Surely the Rogers Centre has more that 4 people in a conversion team, but who knows the way they run that place?
    I also strongly suspect that Rogers crews don't get started on the field conversion right away either.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 385
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I recall two Argos home games being moved from Friday night to Sunday afternoon in 1985 (vs. Calgary and Montreal). I also thought that an Argos home game was affected in '89. They ended up playing Ottawa on Thanksgiving Monday afternoon but I believe that game was originally scheduled for another date. The biggest difference between now and the early 1990s is this supposed 3 day turnaround to convert the field from baseball to football. This why the Argos would be potentially greatly affected if the Jays make the playoffs and are in there for any length of time.
    The Argo game vs. Ottawa in 1989 was originally scheduled for Saturday October 7th but was moved to Monday October 9th. The Argos and Jays shared the same turf back then which made converting the field a lot faster.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I recall two Argos home games being moved from Friday night to Sunday afternoon in 1985 (vs. Calgary and Montreal). I also thought that an Argos home game was affected in '89. They ended up playing Ottawa on Thanksgiving Monday afternoon but I believe that game was originally scheduled for another date.
    You're right about 1989...IIRC that Argo game went a little better than the rescheduled '93 game as they trounced a bad Ottawa Rough Riders team. That was the ill-fated last year of Obie which saw the Argos really end badly at 7-11 and losing to the Lee Saltz led Winnipeg Blue Bombers 30-7 in East Semi-Final...yikes, maybe they should have taken the hint and left Skydome them..lol. Although they've won more Grey Cups playing at the dome than they did at the CNE. That re-scheduled Ottawa game may have been there last good game of that '89 season. I remember them getting trounced in the final week at IvorWynne, 45-14, a day which saw Rocky Di Pietro break what was the all-time receptions record.

That turnaround also took one day as the Jays hosted Games 3-5 of that ALCS on Fri, Sat and Sunday when they were eliminated. Geez...I can still see that Jose Canseco HR in Game 4 on the Saturday land in the 500 level. He was the first to do that.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Gill The Thrill View Post
    If the Jays do have a long playoff run, there's basically a possible Wild Card home game which would be played on the Tuesday, October 6 date when the Argos are scheduled to play Ottawa. I could see this game being moved to Thursday, Oct 8 as TSN does not have a CFL game scheduled that day. The Jays would be starting a best of 5 ALDS on the road if they're playing in the WC game so this would be possible. If the Jays win the division, they may start an ALDS series at home on either the Wednesday or the Thursday. This may present a problem with the original scheduled Argo game on the Tuesday. Not as much with the Argos as they have a bye the previous but more for Ottawa who have a Thursday night home game on Oct 1st. I could see this game moving to Monday, Oct 5. It would reduce a days prep for Ottawa, but teams have played with 3 days rest plenty of times, especially when they do the Labour Day Monday and Friday rematch.
    Moving to Thursday, Oct. 8, would mean two Argo games in five days as we play the following Monday in Montreal. Not ideal, but potentially doable. But that would require the field to be converted in under 48 hours and I'm not sure that is something Rogers would be prepared to do, if it is in fact still doable. I share your skepticism about how much time it should really take, but I'm not basing it on any knowledge of what's actually involved these days. I am pretty sure the turf doesn't just roll up the way the old hard stuff used to.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Moving to Thursday, Oct. 8, would mean two Argo games in five days as we play the following Monday in Montreal. Not ideal, but potentially doable. But that would require the field to be converted in under 48 hours and I'm not sure that is something Rogers would be prepared to do,
    Pretty sure Rogers has stated that 36 hours is required. That is why the Argos can only play at home if there is no event the day before or the day after.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Pretty sure Rogers has stated that 36 hours is required. That is why the Argos can only play at home if there is no event the day before or the day after.
    Rogers have no interest in accommodating the Argos, so 36 hours is it, looking forward to Gods team and 16x World Champion Toronto Argonauts leaving the concrete mausoleum and moving to their new digs next season, that thought makes all the BS this season seem quite palatable.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    On tonight's pre game show, Naylor mentioned the Argos are looking at a possible Varsity stadium schedule should the Blue Jays make the playoffs. It wouldn't be ideal, but I would be 100% fine with it. Better than playing in Hamilton with more fans against them than for them.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    On tonight's pre game show, Naylor mentioned the Argos are looking at a possible Varsity stadium schedule should the Blue Jays make the playoffs. It wouldn't be ideal, but I would be 100% fine with it. Better than playing in Hamilton with more fans against them than for them.
    Both options suck. I'm not sure which one is worse.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    ?........ looking forward to Gods team and 16x World Champion Toronto Argonauts leaving the concrete mausoleum and moving ...........
    Gods team .

Where's that like button!