Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Rogers is no different than Bell. Bell just happens to have the rights to the CFL.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Zicarelli has mentioned in his latest article that the Argo home opener next year may not happen until August:

"Argos fans, at least those who still care, should be prepared to see a stretch next season that features six weeks of no home games with talk of the team’s home opener not being played until August.
    Six weeks of non-home games and people wonder why the Argos need to get out of the cavernous venue and into a more intimate setting that caters to the Argos’ needs."

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/11/07...over-redblacks

This year was horrid, but next year would be totally unacceptable.
    Don't know what the answer is as long we are at the crap dome.
    Maybe going TD Atlantic where at least the people appreciate watching the CFL for a few weeks?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    Rogers is no different than Bell. Bell just happens to have the rights to the CFL.
    Bell doesn't ignore the Blue Jays though as Rogers pretty much does with the CFL. The Jays will still be the lead story on Bell whereas the CFL is almost never the lead story on Rogers.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Bell doesn't ignore the Blue Jays though as Rogers pretty much does with the CFL. The Jays will still be the lead story on Bell whereas the CFL is almost never the lead story on Rogers.

Absolutely this is the life in Southern Ontario where the producers dictate the agenda.

Banned
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    2 weeks sounds ok to me. Just don't try and make it a spring and summer league.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Yeah, that's a great idea -- make the Argos' season overlap even more than it does with the Blue Jays'. Might be doable starting in 2018, but any move to an earlier season start in the meantime will just make it even harder to get Argo home dates.

Banned
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    2 weeks sounds ok to me. Just don't try and make it a spring and summer league.
    Exactly. It isn't Canadian football if some nice, cold weather doesn't enter into the outcome and play of the game.

Boatman
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points
    Level
    I like the idea of moving it up a few weeks. No one wants to sit outside in -20 degree weather for 3+ hours. I find people that often say they like the effect the elements have on the game are often those that watch from the comfort of their soft, comfy couch.

I'm ok with the possiblity of players/coaches having to deal with the possiblity of cold and snow I just don't like that it's pretty much gaurenteed with the last week of November in Canada.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Windy, cold and very winter like today but I could easily dress for this at say a BMO and actually sweat. Ice fishing gear. I hate the 2 to 4 degree and pissing rain days.

Does anyone really think that stepping backwards into a BMO situation would have fans filling the stands. That will wear pretty thin with the World Class City types. There is no winning in a SHITE sports city like Toronto.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Yeah, that's a great idea -- make the Argos' season overlap even more than it does with the Blue Jays'. Might be doable starting in 2018, but any move to an earlier season start in the meantime will just make it even harder to get Argo home dates.
    Let's not forget that the Stanley Cup Finals now clash with the first few CFL preseason games. If you move the regular season up two weeks, you will be going head-to-head with the Stanley Cup Finals and we all know who will get the lion's share of the media coverage in that case.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Let's not forget that the Stanley Cup Finals now clash with the first few CFL preseason games. If you move the regular season up two weeks, you will be going head-to-head with the Stanley Cup Finals and we all know who will get the lion's share of the media coverage in that case.
    I think that would depend on who was in the Stanley Cup finals. No Canadian teams and the interest isn't as great. Now if the Leafs were to get into the Finals that could be a problem. Fortunately that doesn't look like it will be a problem in the forseeable future. But I don't see a problem starting the middle of June.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    But I don't see a problem starting the middle of June.
    Unless you count stadium availability for the Argos as a problem. As a reminder, five of our nine home games this season were scheduled after baseball season ended. If we lose two of those weeks, what dates are we left with?

Boatman
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    Windy, cold and very winter like today but I could easily dress for this at say a BMO and actually sweat. Ice fishing gear. I hate the 2 to 4 degree and pissing rain days.

Does anyone really think that stepping backwards into a BMO situation would have fans filling the stands. That will wear pretty thin with the World Class City types. There is no winning in a SHITE sports city like Toronto.

I agree with you that slightly above freezing and rain would be worse than just cold temperatures. It's the casuals that the owners are trying to capture by moving up the schedule. People that follow the team but aren't willing to endure hours in the freezing cold to watch. If cities like Edmonton, who don't have the competing sports like we do in Toronto, are feeling it than it is safe to say this is a nationwide issue.

At the same time this is Canada and you are never going to get a outdoor game in November with tropic conditions, people are going to have to live with that.

On your BMO Field point, moving there alone would do only one thing, make the stands look more full. Smaller stadium, less empty seats, that is all.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Has something changed recently to make this a pressing issue? Are Cdns wimpier than we used to be? The Grey Cup has been played in late November (even December at times) for at least 50 years. Climate change data suggests that the weather is warmer now than it used to be, on average. So why the sudden "it's too cold for football" bleating from out west?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Has something changed recently to make this a pressing issue? Are Cdns wimpier than we used to be? The Grey Cup has been played in late November (even December at times) for at least 50 years. Climate change data suggests that the weather is warmer now than it used to be, on average. So why the sudden "it's too cold for football" bleating from out west?
    Well - people have other options now that they didn't have 50 years ago. Another 5 NHL teams, the arrival of the NBA and MLB in Canada, the Internet, the rise of the NFL hype machine to stratospheric levels, and inexpensive, big, quality TV sets with great game broadcasts you can view in the comfort of your own home without lining up to get in, lining up to use the restroom, or lining up to get a drink.

I don't think we're wimpier. We just have more attractive choices now, and a gate-driven league needs to do everything it can to get people to come to the stadium.
    Faster + Louder = Better

New Fan
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 50
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by shayman View Post
    Well - people have other options now that they didn't have 50 years ago. Another 5 NHL teams, the arrival of the NBA and MLB in Canada, the Internet, the rise of the NFL hype machine to stratospheric levels, and inexpensive, big, quality TV sets with great game broadcasts you can view in the comfort of your own home without lining up to get in, lining up to use the restroom, or lining up to get a drink.

I don't think we're wimpier. We just have more attractive choices now, and a gate-driven league needs to do everything it can to get people to come to the stadium.
    Well said.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Been there done that CNE, mistake by the lake BS and now we seem to be heading back down that road. Outdoor stadium on the shores of Lake Ontario. We're not exactly having nice fall weather the last while and sitting at BMO right now would suck anyway you cut it. I for one like the location and don't mind the dome other than it's owners.
    Not afraid of the cold as I never would have moved here. Been to old Cleveland Stadium in Dec to watch my Vikes lose way back when. That was one cold day along the Lake Erie shores.

Been to the coldest outdoor Grey Cup in 91 in Winnipeg and the warmest in 98 in Winnipeg. I enjoyed 98 much more.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I think that we need to forget talking about the dome. Fact is, we are out in max 3 years. We should all embrace any other option at this point, and if a smaller stadium such as BMO means a demand for tickets, then let's all agree to be happy with that. The bottom line is that we all want to see the Argos survive for a long time, and it won't be in the dome.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I think that we need to forget talking about the dome. Fact is, we are out in max 3 years. We should all embrace any other option at this point, and if a smaller stadium such as BMO means a demand for tickets, then let's all agree to be happy with that. The bottom line is that we all want to see the Argos survive for a long time, and it won't be in the dome.
    Agreed. The reality is that the Argos are dying a slow death in SkyDome and nothing is going to change that. The only viable option for survival is a move to BMO Field.