Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Not sure why everyone was pissed at their comments. They weren't putting down the Argos or CFL. They were simply being very matter of fact in this particular segment. It's looking very grim to say the least for our Argonauts. Unfriggin believable really. It's like a really bad nightmare but nobody is stepping up to solve anything.
    They also suggested that the TO NFL dream is DEAD!!!

I for one am more and more turned off by the huge NFL marketing machine who does it's best to sweep serious issues under the table. I'll be watching less and less NFL with it's criminals making way too much coin. I can't support a league where it's ok to bash women yet if you smoke a joint you're lucky to keep your job.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 350
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    The facts are it's looking very grim right now no matter who talks about it.
    Some people want to blame the previous owners C&S. But I remember reading that C&S were committed to York, Varsity, or the eventual BMO field.
    But they were convinced by Braley and his cash handouts to stay at the dome. If this is true then Mr. Braley needs to get this sorted out before he walks away.

I know MLSE my not want to buy the team, but why doesn't Bell just buy them. A healthy Toronto team only helps their TSN property.
    And can the city force MLSE to make BMO accommodate football as well??

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Antwon View Post
    I know MLSE my not want to buy the team, but why doesn't Bell just buy them. A healthy Toronto team only helps their TSN property.
    I have been wondering the same thing, Antwon. I am not sure why Bell doesn't just step up on its own and buy the team.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 344
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I have been wondering the same thing, Antwon. I am not sure why Bell doesn't just step up on its own and buy the team.
    Bell on it's own likely doesn't have the experience to run a pro sports organization.

It also comes with the question: Why don't you let the sports and entertainment company you own run the Argos?

It would be cheaper for Bell if MLSE owned/Ran them as opposed to setting up a new division in a company. This is why we know Rogers is the one blocking this deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Invader View Post
    I don't agree the Argo fortunes are grim. They just moved into a new training centre and practice facility in Downsview this week, which has a picture-perfect fieldturf field. So no longer can they claim the Argos are "nomadic".

The Argos have a contract to play in Skydome through 2017, so that's 3 more years after this 2014 season. Braley said relocation talks with MLSE will resume soon. There was a tweet last night that MLSE has opened the door again and that they could be close to agreement. So there is no panic and it's not looking grim.

If the talks with MLSE fall through (despite MLSE being directed by the City of Toronto to accommodate the Argos at BMO and forwarding $10 million towards the project), then the Argos will have to find somewhere else to play.

Braley's Lions built a 27,500-seat temporary stadium in Vancouver for $15 million (it was actually paid for by the province), which they played out of for 2 seasons. The builder said the stadium could be made permanent with concrete foundations. All the Argos need is a municipality to donate the land and some infrastructure.

Another option might be to construct grandstands at the Argos new practice field in Downsview? This would be an easy build and looks like the site was designed for that upgrade from the outset. There is also York's Pan-Am stadium which could be expanded. So all hope is not lost.
    Paulwoods will tell you that temporary structure used by BC wasn't that great. Majority of seats behind the endzone.

I do agree that while we see the David Braley ownership as grim. There is positive steps for the Argos with the new training facility & stadium talks.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    Paulwoods will tell you that temporary structure used by BC wasn't that great. Majority of seats behind the endzone.
    That is correct, Mulder. Literally more than half of the seats were behind the goal-lines. No one in their right mind would consider that a remotely viable long-term option.

As for the original post suggesting Braley is prepared to throw the keys back to the CFL, that strikes me as extremely far-fetched for one simple reason. He is also planning to sell the Lions in the next three years. If the preceding franchise transaction was a giveaway for nothing, what does that do to the value of the property he is hoping to make a profit on? Common sense would suggest that giving something away would not enhance the price of essentially the same product being sold later.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    That is correct, Mulder. Literally more than half of the seats were behind the goal-lines. No one in their right mind would consider that a remotely viable long-term option.

As for the original post suggesting Braley is prepared to throw the keys back to the CFL, that strikes me as extremely far-fetched for one simple reason. He is also planning to sell the Lions in the next three years. If the preceding franchise transaction was a giveaway for nothing, what does that do to the value of the property he is hoping to make a profit on? Common sense would suggest that giving something away would not enhance the price of essentially the same product being sold later.
    I suggested a temporary stadium only if the BMO relocation fell through, to keep the franchise in the GTA while a permanent stadium is completed. The Lions and Whitecaps could have left Vancouver and played in Bellingham or Kelowna, like the Ticats did in Guelph, but the province decided to build a temporary facility. Not the solution but a stopgap measure.

Empire Field had many endzone seats because the province chose a European company as the builder which specialized in soccer stadiums, where they often have lots of endzone seating. The soccer Whitecaps also shared the temp stadium while the $560M upgrade to B.C. Place was completed.

The Argos could instead choose a football-specific design with mostly sideline seating if they (or the league, city or province) are required to provide a temp stadium to keep the Argos in the GTA. I'd also suggest the Argos choose wider seats, the Empire Field seats were obviously designed for more-compact European derriere's, not the more expansive N.A. model.

Contrary to Brunt's repeated assertion that the Argos are "worthless", if the Argos franchise moved to another city (London, Quebec, Halifax) this would save the new city a $15-$20M expansion fee, plus they'd be getting a fully stocked-team, management and equipment. That has value. Just like a football franchise which has been in continuous operation for 142 years, has value, even if they've lost money for the past 25 years playing out of a shopping mall.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:

Level
    I suggested a temporary stadium only if the BMO relocation fell through, to keep the franchise in the GTA while a permanent stadium is completed. The Lions and Whitecaps could have left Vancouver and played in Bellingham or Kelowna, like the Ticats did in Guelph, but the province decided to build a temporary facility. Not the solution but a stopgap measure.

Empire Field had many endzone seats because the province chose a European company as the builder which specialized in soccer stadiums, where they often have lots of endzone seating. The soccer Whitecaps also shared the temp stadium while the $560M upgrade to B.C. Place was completed.

The Argos could instead choose a football-specific design with mostly sideline seating if they (or the league, city or province) are required to provide a temp stadium to keep the Argos in the GTA. I'd also suggest the Argos choose wider seats, the Empire Field seats were obviously designed for more-compact European derriere's, not the more expansive N.A. model.

Contrary to Brunt's repeated assertion that the Argos are "worthless", if the Argos franchise moved to another city (London, Quebec, Halifax) this would save the new city a $15-$20M expansion fee, plus they'd be getting a fully stocked-team, management and equipment. That has value. Just like a football franchise which has been in continuous operation for 142 years, has value, even if they've lost money for the past 25 years playing out of a shopping mall.
    How can you continue to cling to the absurd notion that a stadium is going to be built from scratch? Who's the sugar daddy? I seriously want an answer to this. I won't insist on an answer to who is going to "require" government to build a temp stadium as well.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Listen Prime Time Sports - November 25th - 5pm
    November 25th, 5 pm: Nick Kypreos and Mark Cohon join Bob McCown and Elliotte Friedman.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Is it just me or is The FAN590 giving the Argonauts more coverage than TSN1050? Lately it seems that I hear Argonauts talk a few times a week on the FAN590 and hardly at all on TSN1050.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:

Level
    mcClown is a big cfl fan (didn't he work for the club/broadcaster in his early days) ... he just hates braley with a passion.
    With braley sliding out the door ... he's bringing back his usually suspects of guests - cooper, pinball, etc. plus, he like sports business stories and MLSE drama as well.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Some people want to blame the previous owners C&S. But I remember reading that C&S were committed to York, Varsity, or the eventual BMO field.
    But they were convinced by Braley and his cash handouts to stay at the dome. If this is true then Mr. Braley needs to get this sorted out before he walks away.

I don't agree the Argo fortunes are grim. They just moved into a new training centre and practice facility in Downsview this week, which has a picture-perfect fieldturf field. So no longer can they claim the Argos are "nomadic".

The Argos have a contract to play in Skydome through 2017, so that's 3 more years after this 2014 season. Braley said relocation talks with MLSE will resume soon. There was a tweet last night that MLSE has opened the door again and that they could be close to agreement. So there is no panic and it's not looking grim.

If the talks with MLSE fall through (despite MLSE being directed by the City of Toronto to accommodate the Argos at BMO and forwarding $10 million towards the project), then the Argos will have to find somewhere else to play.

Braley's Lions built a 27,500-seat temporary stadium in Vancouver for $15 million (it was actually paid for by the province), which they played out of for 2 seasons. The builder said the stadium could be made permanent with concrete foundations. All the Argos need is a municipality to donate the land and some infrastructure.

Another option might be to construct grandstands at the Argos new practice field in Downsview? This would be an easy build and looks like the site was designed for that upgrade from the outset. There is also York's Pan-Am stadium which could be expanded. So all hope is not lost.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points

Level
    I was with you until the temp stadium part. I went twice to that stadium twice and as nice and kitchy as it was, no way is that a viable solution in the long-term.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    I was with you until the temp stadium part. I went twice to that stadium twice and as nice and kitchy as it was, no way is that a viable solution in the long-term.

time is NOW to put up the $10m to knockdown the south and north stands at bmo, while they are construction the new eaststands at bmo over the winter. Just then to build locker rooms and put down fieldturf endzones and we are set. We can't last another crappy year at the crappy skydome with a terrible schedule again.

I'd happy volunteer my couple thousand hours as a heavy equipment operator. Lets Go!!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 344
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    time is NOW to put up the $10m to knockdown the south and north stands at bmo, while they are construction the new eaststands at bmo over the winter. Just then to build locker rooms and put down fieldturf endzones and we are set. We can't last another crappy year at the crappy skydome with a terrible schedule again.

I'd happy volunteer my couple thousand hours as a heavy equipment operator. Lets Go!!!!
    There has been a rumour floating around that CFL wasn't happy with the available dates given by Rogers Centre, and the CFL is looking at expediting the phasing to get the Argos in there sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by flutie02 View Post
    That was C/S that screwed the Argos over for a new stadiun. They were all set to go with York, when Paul Godfrey, waved a nice new Dome lease at them. Free rent and 18Cents a beer. Once that lease was over after 4 years, they dumped the team and the Argos are stuck with paying the highest rent in the league, with the worst avalabe dates. At 75,000 per game, i wager there are some games, the Argos don't even cover the cost of the rent. C/S went for short term gain. What did they care, as we find out now, Braily was still paying all the bills then too
    That's pretty much bang on. But Rogers par for the course.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level

And we are back to the same problem as to who would pay for any of this? It sure wouldn't be Braley. The only viable solution is getting the Argos into BMO even if it means that the league has to come up with the money to do so itself which is what I suspect will end up happening.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 216
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level

That was C/S that screwed the Argos over for a new stadiun. They were all set to go with York, when Paul Godfrey, waved a nice new Dome lease at them. Free rent and 18Cents a beer. Once that lease was over after 4 years, they dumped the team and the Argos are stuck with paying the highest rent in the league, with the worst avalabe dates. At 75,000 per game, i wager there are some games, the Argos don't even cover the cost of the rent. C/S went for short term gain. What did they care, as we find out now, Braily was still paying all the bills then too