Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    If the CFL had to face the kinds of problems that the NFL has faced over the last couple of years including this one and the Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson situations, the Canadian media in general would be saying "bush league" more than we can count. It is incredible though just how much national media attention that these events have received here in Canada.
    That all goes back to what I've been saying for years, Ravi. The problem the CFL has, especially in this market, is that people tend to relate quality with money. Since the NFL strike in '83, the salaries down there skyrocketed to amounts the CFL will never even dream of. For that reason, to the minds of many of today's generation, the CFL will be looked at as bush league. These people are idiots.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    If the CFL had to face the kinds of problems that the NFL has faced over the last couple of years including this one and the Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson situations, the Canadian media in general would be saying "bush league" more than we can count. It is incredible though just how much national media attention that these events have received here in Canada.
    You have no idea how right you are, Anti CFL types still bring up the drafting a dead guy thing from 20 years ago, meanwhile, NFL balls have no air, and the lights go out at the championship game itself all within the last 2 years and this is the league we should all strive to emulate ? haha.
    I think the argument that there is no CFL to talk being the reason TSN radio talks NFL is nonsense. There is no NFL to talk either, Just controversy and off field drama. TSN radio is akin to Days of our Lives, garbage radio as is the fan.
    I listen to the fan NYC, and although not a huge Baseball fan, they actually talk the sport and not the circus surrounding it like the "sports personalities" in this town.

1050 and 590, you can have them.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 215
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87;52673[/QUOTE
    I don't think anyone is in denial about the unfortunate situation the Argonauts are in, but you'll find that many are still skeptical of anything a Rogers employee says about the Canadian Football League.

Absolutely correct !

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    I'm pretty sure the marketing "geniuses" who decide what's put on air know their demographics. Gamblers and hype monkeys. I've listened to guys like Mike Hogan, and I know if guys like him had carte blanche he would only talk about things that he was interested in, and/or was knowledgeable in and/or that *true sports fans were interested in. That probably played out fine when there were so many independent media outlets. Now that nearly every major media outlet is owned by a few select conglomerates, there are only 2 things that are important. Ratings, and corporate propaganda. Guys like Hogan are only around still because he's a pretty damn knowledgeable guy, that people from many sports backgrounds respect. The people who replace him will be more often than not corporate shills. Someone needs to resurrect Jim Hunt. Damn I loved that guy.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argos1873 View Post
    I'm pretty sure the marketing "geniuses" who decide what's put on air know their demographics. Gamblers and hype monkeys. I've listened to guys like Mike Hogan, and I know if guys like him had carte blanche he would only talk about things that he was interested in, and/or was knowledgeable in and/or that *true sports fans were interested in. That probably played out fine when there were so many independent media outlets. Now that nearly every major media outlet is owned by a few select conglomerates, there are only 2 things that are important. Ratings, and corporate propaganda. Guys like Hogan are only around still because he's a pretty damn knowledgeable guy, that people from many sports backgrounds respect. The people who replace him will be more often than not corporate shills. Someone needs to resurrect Jim Hunt. Damn I loved that guy.
    While I wouldn't agree that what you said is true in every case, you couldn't have said it better.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    While I wouldn't agree that what you said is true in every case, you couldn't have said it better.
    Nothing is true in every case, just generally speaking. But thanks.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Ratings have been important since the dawn of radio. Not just since consolidation of ownership.

Boatman
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    So any mea culpas from either Brunt or Mccowan ?
    Rogers sucks. Bombers Suck. Visit www.ticatfans.com

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    So any mea culpas from either Brunt or Mccowan ?
    Not sure what that means but all McCown is doing is slagging the argos even more.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder: 2010 - 2014 & 2016 - Present
    Grey Cups Attended: 2012, 2016
    Current Seats Location: Section 227

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Where is Brunt these days anyway? I haven't heard hide nor hair of him in a while.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Boatman
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Where is Brunt these days anyway? I haven't heard hide nor hair of him in a while.
    Dissapears to NFLD for fishing this time of year i think

Quote Originally Posted by BATKINSON001 View Post
    Not sure what that means but all McCown is doing is slagging the argos even more.
    Mea culpa - as in - I was wrong about it. What has McCowan been saying ?

I understand the need for a media know it all not to be proven wrong but I dont understand McCowans lust for argo / CFL failure. Goes way beyond Rogers' institutional bias .

Who/what/how/when from the league or Argos whizzed on his pant leg ? Did he get stiffed for free GC tickets ? "Windows" wont rip up his bar tab anymore ?
    Rogers sucks. Bombers Suck. Visit www.ticatfans.com

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    I understand the need for a media know it all not to be proven wrong but I dont understand McCowans lust for argo / CFL failure. Goes way beyond Rogers' institutional bias .

Who/what/how/when from the league or Argos whizzed on his pant leg ? Did he get stiffed for free GC tickets ? "Windows" wont rip up his bar tab anymore ?
    If I were to guess, he has a grudge against the league because it was revealed that Braley bankrolled McCown's buddies, Cynamon and Sokolowski. Also, he is still upset about the league not reintroducing gate equalization payments (i.e., revenue sharing) when C & S asked for it just before selling the team to Braley. Finally, McCown was on the 2007 Grey Cup committee and, while that Grey Cup was a success, he is upset that the 2012 Grey Cup is seen as a larger success and that the federal government gave the 2012 Grey Cup committee additional funds to work with.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    If I were to guess, he has a grudge against the league because it was revealed that Braley bankrolled McCown's buddies, Cynamon and Sokolowski. Also, he is still upset about the league not reintroducing gate equalization payments (i.e., revenue sharing) when C & S asked for it just before selling the team to Braley. Finally, McCown was on the 2007 Grey Cup committee and, while that Grey Cup was a success, he is upset that the 2012 Grey Cup is seen as a larger success and that the federal government gave the 2012 Grey Cup committee additional funds to work with.
    wasn't there also something about him not being on the 2012 grey cup committee that he's ticked about too?
    Argos Season Ticket Holder: 2010 - 2014 & 2016 - Present
    Grey Cups Attended: 2012, 2016
    Current Seats Location: Section 227

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level

I think there are 2 things that can pinpoint McCowan's ant CFL feelings.
    1)He had a group in the running to get a franchise in Las Vegas during the US expansion era and the league chose Nick Mileti's group instead. Poor choice by the league, but no proof McCowan's group would have done better.
    2) The way his buddies C&S left as owners. I really think he took that personally.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I recall McCown and Cox speaking positively of the Argos at the beginning of the C & S ownership. The turning point, I guess, for most of the FAN personalities was whenever (i) Braley took over the team and (ii) the radio rights went to TSN 1050 and pro-CFL personalities such as Hogan and Landry were let go.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022