Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Argo Fan
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level

PTS just now. McGown and Brunt are confident........

.... that the Argos are toast. That MLSE does not want them and that Braley will throw the keys to the League to figure out.

Since I am an outsider, how close are these two to the truth? I am really concerned for the future of your team.

Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I just listened to the segment myself. It was supposed to be about their employers' failure to purchase the Buffalo Bills, but instead seemed to focus on the Argonauts. They've been on the "No MLSE, No BMO" party line for quite awhile. It is difficult to say because McCown didn't really cite a source for saying that Braley is about to hand the keys over to the CFL. I don't think anyone is in denial about the unfortunate situation the Argonauts are in, but you'll find that many are still skeptical of anything a Rogers employee says about the Canadian Football League.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Is there a link to that segment?

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumblitis View Post
    Is there a link to that segment?
    Probably will be soon enough. Just hold tight for awhile and someone ought to post it.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    PTS September 10th 5pm hour.
    skip ahead to 40:35
    http://pmd.fan590.com/podcasts/pts/p...r-10---5pm.mp3

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    PTS September 10th 5pm hour.
    skip ahead to 40:35
    http://pmd.fan590.com/podcasts/pts/p...r-10---5pm.mp3
    Thanks! You know you would think that losing the NFL dream that they want to watch some sort of professional football. It seems like the media in Toronto is even more hostile towards the CFL now. Even when Tim and Sid interviewing that reporter from Buffalo yesterday they were grilling this guy about how the possibility that Pegula could sell the team in the future. As I was watching the video footage of this interview Tim and Sid looked
    dejected as they just lost out on the only possibility they ever had for Toronto to have the NFL. Even the write up in the Globe and Mail today the guy had to take shots at Terry Pegula about how poorly the Sabres are on ice and how bad the Bills will be because he's bitter because the Bills we're staying put and not coming to Toronto.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 153
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    I learned 25 years ago when SkyDome opened that NFL fans in the Toronto area believe that the only professional football worth watching is the NFL. They absolutely believe that the only thing stopping the NFL from putting a team in Toronto is the existence of the Argos and the sooner the Argos die, the sooner an NFL team will come to Toronto. Somewhere in this forum, I posted an article from the Toronto Sun and written in 1989 by Steve Simmons who called for a boycott of Argo games in order to kill the Argos and get an NFL team in Toronto.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    As some one said on another board McClown is a joke and his sidekick Brunt is no better.
    Why do we keep quoting these idiots as the league and Argo bashing is way over the top?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofandave View Post
    I learned 25 years ago when SkyDome opened that NFL fans in the Toronto area believe that the only professional football worth watching is the NFL. They absolutely believe that the only thing stopping the NFL from putting a team in Toronto is the existence of the Argos and the sooner the Argos die, the sooner an NFL team will come to Toronto. Somewhere in this forum, I posted an article from the Toronto Sun and written in 1989 by Steve Simmons who called for a boycott of Argo games in order to kill the Argos and get an NFL team in Toronto.
    The logic is mind boggling. One of the many reasons Winnipeg got the Jets back was because of the tremendous support of the Manitoba Moose of the AHL prior to that proved that Winnipeg was starved for pro hockey.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Well that's what happens when the TIFF crowd all of the sudden turn their attention to sports. They know nothing about it, but think they do.

Unfortunately, that is what Toronto has become.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    The logic is mind boggling. One of the many reasons Winnipeg got the Jets back was because of the tremendous support of the Manitoba Moose of the AHL prior to that proved that Winnipeg was starved for pro hockey.
    And where are the Manitoba Moose today?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:

Level
    why even listen to McClown anymore. What's with brunt .. he's turned into ed rogers bitch ... in fact all the reporter that have moved over their have lost all their credibility.

Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    why even listen to McClown anymore. What's with brunt .. he's turned into ed rogers bitch ... in fact all the reporter that have moved over their have lost all their credibility.
    I hate to say it, but as a former person in the biz, I think the above is becoming truer all the time. The problem isn't so much what is being reported but what isn't. Sins of omission not commission.

I for one thought Brunt was the best thing since sliced bread but since going to Rogers I have changed my opinion. And it is not because I disagree with him. It's more like they know what they can say and what they can't and they choose to take the company position.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Even when Tim and Sid interviewing that reporter from Buffalo yesterday they were grilling this guy about how the possibility that Pegula could sell the team in the future. As I was watching the video footage of this interview Tim and Sid looked
    dejected as they just lost out on the only possibility they ever had for Toronto to have the NFL.
    While you never want to say never, the reality is that the NFL in Toronto people have probably blown the best chance that they have ever had and may have for a very long time. That is probably why they were looking so sullen. Furthermore, people like Tim and Sid, Eric Smith, and Greg Brady see the NFL as their entree into the media "big leagues". They are well aware, for instance, of the great press box food that they get in the NFL. Now it seems unlikely that they will ever get a chance to enjoy that sort of thing unless Rogers sends them to cover an NFL game in the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by rdavies View Post
    I hate to say it, but as a former person in the biz, I think the above is becoming truer all the time. The problem isn't so much what is being reported but what isn't. Sins of omission not commission.

I for one thought Brunt was the best thing since sliced bread but since going to Rogers I have changed my opinion. And it is not because I disagree with him. It's more like they know what they can say and what they can't and they choose to take the company position.
    Brunt has to be feeling a little embarrassed these days as he was the leading voice in the Toronto sports media corps about how the Bills were almost certainly moving to Toronto after people lined up for blocks for tickets to the Bills in Toronto series. He couldn't be more wrong on both counts and it has to hurt.

I used to like him at the Globe and Mail and am pretty sure that I defended him in the past when he worked for that newspaper. However, he is a different reporter/columnist now since he moved to Rogers and has much less credibility in my books. BTW, it isn't like the Bills to Toronto thing is the first big thing that he has gotten wrong. Brunt had the CFL pretty much killed off just prior to the '96 Grey Cup (although, in fairness, others did too).
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:
    Level
    I still think that McGowan is making much of this anti-cfl anti-argos stuff up. Brunt too (I really should get around to burning his grey cup book i got with my 2012 tickets)...
    Argos Season Ticket Holder: 2010 - 2014 & 2016 - Present
    Grey Cups Attended: 2012, 2016
    Current Seats Location: Section 227

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Not sure why everyone was pissed at their comments. They weren't putting down the Argos or CFL. They were simply being very matter of fact in this particular segment. It's looking very grim to say the least for our Argonauts. Unfriggin believable really. It's like a really bad nightmare but nobody is stepping up to solve anything.
    They also suggested that the TO NFL dream is DEAD!!!

I for one am more and more turned off by the huge NFL marketing machine who does it's best to sweep serious issues under the table. I'll be watching less and less NFL with it's criminals making way too much coin. I can't support a league where it's ok to bash women yet if you smoke a joint you're lucky to keep your job.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    McClown claimed some anonymous Rogers employee emailed him the gate count of an Argo game earlier this season...of 9,500. Then Rash contradicted him in a tweet a few days later, that there were only 6,500 in attendance. Another example was Damien Cox saying on PTS the day after GC100 that the Argos averaged only 13,000 fans in 2012 and claimed to have some inside knowledge, nodding his head smiling, saying "I know!" That was the same show where PTS theorized Braley was on the take and used his political influence to get rich off the CFL. Let's also not forget the series of angry tweets from Rash after the CBA was ratified, claiming the CFL had no right to exist (paying its players so little, risking concussions.)

Commissioner Cohon's image took a big hit in the media during the CBA, along with the CFL (which may have precipiatated Cohon's decision to leave)...mainly from Rogers employees and their media friends (remember SportsNets slickly-produced graph charts comparing CFL and NFL salaries?) The CFL was portrayed as a cheapie, skinflint operation, which may have adversely affected fan support across the country this season.

Always consider the source (or lack thereof) when reading about the Argos. Did Milanovich really say he wants to quit the team because of ownership and stadium issues? If true, wouldn't that undermine his position with his players this season ("I still want you guys to go out and work hard and stuff, but me? I'm outta here!" ) That Milanovich "rumour" has been widely quoted in media across Canada, naming "sources." I guess we don't have to look very far to reveal the "sources" of these negative Argo stories.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Achievements:

Level
    The facts are it's looking very grim right now no matter who talks about it.
    Some people want to blame the previous owners C&S. But I remember reading that C&S were committed to York, Varsity, or the eventual BMO field.
    But they were convinced by Braley and his cash handouts to stay at the dome. If this is true then Mr. Braley needs to get this sorted out before he walks away.

I know MLSE my not want to buy the team, but why doesn't Bell just buy them. A healthy Toronto team only helps their TSN property.
    And can the city force MLSE to make BMO accommodate football as well??

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 723
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    Which gives further to the speculation that the only reason why MLSE hasn't bought the Argos is because of Rogers.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Antwon View Post
    I know MLSE my not want to buy the team, but why doesn't Bell just buy them. A healthy Toronto team only helps their TSN property.
    I have been wondering the same thing, Antwon. I am not sure why Bell doesn't just step up on its own and buy the team.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force