Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level

Jeremiah Johnson

Yesterday's game was our first chance to see Johnson as the featured back. He seems like a solid receiver and has good speed, but I'm not a big fan of his running style. He seems weak, frankly. A few times yesterday when he made contact with a defender it looked like a balloon hitting a brick wall. He also spends too much time running sideways for my taste.

I realize that Steele is valuable as a kick returner and kick cover guy and perhaps can't also be our full time tailback, but I prefer him to Johnson. I also sincerely hope that we give Slaton a shot when he heals up.

Don
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I noted the "E-W" running style as well, Wobbler.

But, unfortunately, that just may be him knowing his limitations and trying to make the most of it.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    He was indeed quite frustrating to watch last night, a big contrast to his determined running in the game at Varsity. Stop going sideways, put you shoulder into the defender and push him back.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    He was indeed quite frustrating to watch last night, a big contrast to his determined running in the game at Varsity. Stop going sideways, put you shoulder into the defender and push him back.
    On one play, he made a nice run and I thought that he was going to get the first down easily. Instead of putting his shoulder down and trying to go through the defender though, he went out of bounds at the last moment and lost a yard in the process. It was an 8 yard run but should have been at least 9 and could have been 10 and a first down. IIRC, the Argos botched the second and two play by taking a penalty and ultimately had to kick a FG.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I agree.... Johnson looked good in certain situations but his choices sometimes looked hesitant. There was one instance ( and I think it was Johnson), where it looked like he held the ball forever before deciding to make a move .... When the stamps were on him. Perhaps reviewing the film will help him go more n-s..... And make more first downs.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    I miss the Boyd/Kackert/Durie style of picking up some tough yards. Durie constantly carries a pack a few yards. It's inspirational, fires up the team and fans. The defense has to be aware of the runner, knowing he's coming, not ready and hoping it's their turn to smack him out if bounds.

Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Glad I'm not the only one who saw this. There were many times where he bounced outside and gained nothing extra or even may have lost of a couple. I agree, if he just lowered his shoulder and plowed through the defender he may have gained a first down.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I agree that Johnson is frustrating to watch. Just when you think he's about to break a big one, he seems to slow down or make an unnecessary cut allowing the defence to close in on him. I was really looking forward to seeing Slaton when the Argos signed him, but until he's in the line-up (if it ever happens) I'd rather see Steele as the every down back. He shows absolutely no quit when he gets his chances.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 400
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Watching the game against the Stamps was frustrating. It seemed like Johnson could never break the tackle and there was one time where it looked like he leaned far over to his right to avoid being hit and basically fell over when tackled. I too was hoping he'd be more of a bruising/power back. I'll give him another week but I wasn't impressed. I preferred Steele as the feature back.

Achievements:

Level
    FWIW, I thought Johnson was a lot better technically this week. He wasn't very productive, but it didn't seem like he was leaving yards (or first downs) on the field.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    More Slaton.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    More Slaton.
    I like Slaton as well. Johnson was better though this week I agree ..... Can't remember if he was one that I was yelling "north south ". to from the couch.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:

Level
    At least one Johnson run this week was sideways-go nowhere rather than shoulder down-barrel ahead. Not as bad as two weeks ago but still annoying.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    I think Johnson, Steele, Slaton and Coombs have all flashed some talent at RB; I'd just like to see one of, or, a combo of the RBs, get at least 15 if not 20 carries in a game; I also would not hesitate to give Gillanders or Woodson a few carries if they are big on platooning rather than having faith in one feature back; and if one back starts to break big gainers or show good moves or power and make 1st downs, then reward that guy with most work - but RBs need numerous carries to show lots of stuff. AND - the offensive coaches on this team have little to no use for a consistent or applied ground game, and showing it game in and game out. Like a lot of CFL teams - if the run is tried early and it works well on the first few run calls they will stick with it some; otherwise most CFL teams will abandon the run like a rat off a sinking ship in favor of mostly pass plays; and of course any team will go to more run game to protect a lead and run the clock late in a game.

These offensive thinkers on the Argos know they have a great passing QB in Ray and so that is their main offensive focus and that's the CFL game now - mostly pass - anyways. What they do NOT get it that a ground game can help set-up your passing game better or that a ground game can be a winning offensive force at times on it's own (do these guys not get what they accomplished with Kackert and a run game in that GC win just 2 seasons ago???). And they might not get that even an all-time great vet passing QB is going to get sacked or throw picks or be inaccurate with a pass rush in his face all the time - and when he is working with an iffy O-Line (rather than a vet unit that has continuity) that is always on it's heels in pass protection, or a depleted or below average receiving corps. The Rider team they just played features inexperienced LBs and no proven MLB run stuffer, yet they want to throw dinky 5 to 10 yards passes mostly ? Wake up and smell the coffee.

Achievements:

Level
    If we were going to try to tweak the offense I'd rather involve the TE's more than try to run a lot. Both Robinson and Dupuis have shown that they can block and catch, and it's unusual enough in the CFL that we might take some teams by surprise.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    If we were going to try to tweak the offense I'd rather involve the TE's more than try to run a lot. Both Robinson and Dupuis have shown that they can block and catch, and it's unusual enough in the CFL that we might take some teams by surprise.
    Yeah - Ottawa is making use out of Lavoie & Delahunt (i was skeptical when they expansion drafted 2 fullback/TE types) - using the H-Back (as I'll now call it in the CFL - combo of fullback & tight end duties); mind you those 2 guys are probably more accomplished with the ball than the Argo duo - but I liked what Robinson did as a receiver last season and Dupuis is a big bruiser too who made a decent gain on a reception last game.

Again though - that would mean some faith in diversity in offence - bang the ground game lots; have the H-back in some for blocking or the odd pass reception. Instead of just same old 5 pack mostly dink & dunk passing game.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 344
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    I noted the "E-W" running style as well, Wobbler.

But, unfortunately, that just may be him knowing his limitations and trying to make the most of it.
    Hopefully his East-West running style works for Ottawa's remaining home games

Achievements:

Level
    Heh! Since the Argos don't play in Ottawa again this year I guess that would be OK. Is Chevon Walker badly hurt? I can't imagine starting Johnson over a healthy Walker.

Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Heh! Since the Argos don't play in Ottawa again this year I guess that would be OK. Is Chevon Walker badly hurt? I can't imagine starting Johnson over a healthy Walker.
    I think Walker broke his arm and had surgery right after the game.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 344
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    Broke arm pretty bad. 2 rods and lots of pins. Out for the year for sure.