Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    I'm really impressed with Devon Bailey. Coombs will need to develop rather well in order to justify our draft selection.
    Not a fair comparison. They play different positions and Coombs is obviously someone they look to one day replace the 33 year old Durie.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    If you are referring to the roughing the passer call on Whiteside, there was nothing he could do when Reilly lowered his helmet, thus creating the helmet to helmet contact. Who was the PR player on the Argo sideline that drew the objectionable conduct penalty?
    I honestly thought it was the right call. Reilly didn't duck that far. There would have been helmet to helmet contact there regardless of whether or not he was in the process of ducking.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Not a fair comparison. They play different positions and Coombs is obviously someone they look to one day replace the 33 year old Durie.
    It's an entirely fair comparison: both are players we could have drafted in the first round. We may have had a specific job in mind for Coombs, but we would have found a place for Bailey too (i.e. Watt's spot).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Coombs has played what, five or so games? I agree it will be fair to compare guys from the same draft eventually -- like three or four years down the road -- but at this moment I am satisfied we took Coombs instead of Bailey.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    It's an entirely fair comparison: both are players we could have drafted in the first round. We may have had a specific job in mind for Coombs, but we would have found a place for Bailey too (i.e. Watt's spot).
    No it's not, because in this case, I believe the Argos were looking for a specific position, and WR was not it. Furthermore, why would you draft a wide side receiver in the first round, when it is the least used offensive position on most, if not all CFL offences?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    1. How Alex Suber couldn't tackle or push Lawrence out of bounds was a mystery to me. I'm not impressed Suber myself, would rather have Evan McCollough in the lineup.
    I don't get the hate on some Argos fans have for Suber. I haven't seen him getting beat all over the field, the way I saw McCollough getting beat last year in Hamilton.

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I don't get the hate on some Argos fans have for Suber. I haven't seen him getting beat all over the field, the way I saw McCollough getting beat last year in Hamilton.
    I have seen Suber get beat many times vs Calgary. I only watched the highlights but he was always the guy on the big plays. McCullough had a bad year in Hamilton but a very good one in Toronto before that so I think he still has something left in the tank. Suber was a healthy scratch in WPG all season I believe so that might say something with what Osh thinks.

I still cannot believe how he couldn't Lawrence. Now, that has nothing to do with pass coverage but I still don't know how he missed him.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    No it's not, because in this case, I believe the Argos were looking for a specific position, and WR was not it. Furthermore, why would you draft a wide side receiver in the first round, when it is the least used offensive position on most, if not all CFL offences?
    I get what you're saying, but I don't buy the idea that because we drafted the most Durie-like guy available that means we automatically made the right choice. If Bailey turns out to be a significantly more effective player, then the right move would have been to adapt our strategy. For the record I like Coombs - it's just that Bailey looks terrific for a rookie who hasn't played much.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    I get what you're saying, but I don't buy the idea that because we drafted the most Durie-like guy available that means we automatically made the right choice. If Bailey turns out to be a significantly more effective player, then the right move would have been to adapt our strategy. For the record I like Coombs - it's just that Bailey looks terrific for a rookie who hasn't played much.
    I wouldn't say that Bailey has been "terrific" but he hasn't looked out of place for a rookie. He has 11 catches for 145 yards with his longest catch being 32 yards. I don't think that Bailey has been any more effective than Coombs was when he played.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Don
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    It's hard to compare the two when Coombs is on the IR. It wasn't as if Coombs hadn't shown promise before his injury either.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    At the time of the draft, Coombs was the best player to be had.... Especially since we know that Milanovich wanted him .
    Bailey , on the other hand, just started that position within the last year or so. He even mentioned on his interview that he had to learn how to run routes and get away from the coverage.
    So knowledge wise, I say Coombs was the right choice. .... Especially now we know how difficult it is for receivers to learn the Argos offensive system.
    Also, if Coombs was able to play all this season I would bet he is miles ahead of Bailey .... Nothing against Bailey... Maybe further down the draft he would have been good, but not to replace Coombs on the draft board.
    My 2 cents

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    Drafting Coombs is hardly a problem!
    It would have been great to have also had the opportunity / done something to also draft Bailey. IMHO, Bailey looks like an A+ non-import WR in the making.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    Drafting Coombs is hardly a problem!
    It would have been great to have also had the opportunity / done something to also draft Bailey. IMHO, Bailey looks like an A+ non-import WR in the making.
    So did Akeem Foster in his rookie season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post

I am thinking that it is instinct to lower your head when you have someone or something barrelling down on you. I can't imagine that anyone would willingly take a helmet-to-helmet hit to keep a drive going.
    Especially today when players know the potential career-ending and life-long brain damage effects of concussions.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    Especially today when players know the potential career-ending and life-long brain damage effects of concussions.
    Knowing what we know now, participation in sports like football, boxing, MMA, etc. is clearly hazardous.

http://www.motherjones.com/media/201...c-brain-injury