Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
Both great points. I thought evidence has to be conclusive that a call was wrong -- based on the in-stadium replay on the INT call, there was at least some evidence to support the call. My daughter also noticed that we didn't seem to go up 40 yards on that insane triple penalty call. Earlier in the game the refs almost botched the yardage on a half-the-distance penalty, but they corrected it before the ball was snapped.

I'd also love to know why some penalties get declined and others get applied. There was a call in the game when two major penalties offset each other, but there had also been a defensive offside call that was apparently declined by the Argos even tho it would have given them a first down had the other two penalties not been applied. Do major penalties somehow over-ride basic penalties of execution?
Regarding the triple penalty near the end, the Argos didn't seem to move as far up the field as I thought they would with that but I didn't think much of it until what AngeloV and you have posted. As to your last question, Paul, I wish I had an answer to that. I guess that once the Argos took the no yards penalty that it overrode the Montreal offside but it was certainly a key penalty for the Argos to take as it likely cost the Argos some valuable points. BTW, head referee Tom Vallesi seemed to get more confused as the game progressed. There was one incident late in the fourth quarter where there were five penalties called - two against Montreal and three against the Argos - and he pointed in the wrong direction for all of them. I guess we shouldn't have been surprised that there was a miscount of the 40 yards in the final minute. And, again, the overturn of that interference call is simply baffling. I would love to hear an explanation from the league on that one.