Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level

Former CFL Commish Elected Toronto Mayor

I'm sure the mayor will be sympathetic to the Argo cause but is there anything he can do. Or will do?

Banned
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by rdavies View Post
    I'm sure the mayor will be sympathetic to the Argo cause but is there anything he can do. Or will do?
    I doubt we will see anymore funds from the city put towards BMO Field but there is nothing stopping Tory from calling the provincial and federal governments about getting them to contribute, they may or may not change their minds.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    I am not holding out too much hope.
    Even though Tory was with the CFL and did an admirable job, I have not heard too much from him about the Argos and or the CFL.
    He does talk often about "his Leafs"?

Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Tory was also the former President and is still on the board at Rogers. Doubt it means anything.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Tory was also the former President and is still on the board at Rogers. Doubt it means anything.
    I seem to recall Tory saying that he will resign his position on the Rogers board if he became mayor. I suppose that he could be better positioned than anyone to bring all sides together regarding the Argo situation but whether that actually happens or not is another question.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Yeah, death to Argos

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    I think John Tory will do something to help the Argo situation. The fact that Pinball came out and endorsed him a
    couple of weeks ago was encouraging to me. Made me think something was afoot behind the scenes If Tory became Mayor.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    I think John Tory will do something to help the Argo situation. The fact that Pinball came out and endorsed him a
    couple of weeks ago was encouraging to me. Made me think something was afoot behind the scenes If Tory became Mayor.
    I was also thinking this.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Don
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I seem to recall Tory saying that he will resign his position on the Rogers board if he became mayor. I suppose that he could be better positioned than anyone to bring all sides together regarding the Argo situation but whether that actually happens or not is another question.
    Does anybody know whether legally he can remain on the board?
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Boatman
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    Does anybody know whether legally he can remain on the board?
    He'd have to recuse himself from any discussion or vote in City Hall that might involve Rogers either directly or indirectly, which means he would be absent a lot. Plus from an optics standpoint it just looks bad for him to hold a seat at Rogers and be the mayor. Maybe not illegal but his opponents would constantly bring it up.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Someone get him an Argo jersey and hat ASAP.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    back to the topic at hand...what will his (mayor elect Tory) true colours be if pushed on an issue involving the Argo's/CFL??..will he acknowledge and CFL loyalties?, or will he tow the party line from his current "CFL Hating" rogers position?
    Last edited by T-Bone; 11-01-2014 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Off Topic Content Moved
    MakeArgonautsGreatAgain, 2021

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argonaut11xx View Post
    back to the topic at hand...what will his (mayor elect Tory) true colours be if pushed on an issue involving the Argo's/CFL??..will he acknowledge and CFL loyalties?, or will he tow the party line from his current "CFL Hating" rogers position?
    That remains to be seen. I still believe the Argos will be in BMO field, but first things first. Braley needs to sell the team to someone. He has done nothing to enhance the value of the team and the longer he holds on to it, the worse things are going to get for the team.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    That remains to be seen. I still believe the Argos will be in BMO field, but first things first. Braley needs to sell the team to someone. He has done nothing to enhance the value of the team and the longer he holds on to it, the worse things are going to get for the team.
    Again, agreed on the Braley thing.

My head says, only a lunatic would invest in the sinking ship Argonaut.

My heart says, there must be someone, or a group of folks, who like myself love this team (who have far more money than me)...that will buy the Argo's and not just invest money into the franchise, but invest PASSION into the brand.
    My heart says if we had an owner who cared, it would turn around.
    MakeArgonautsGreatAgain, 2021

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    That's how I feel too.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    My heart says, there must be someone, or a group of folks, who like myself love this team (who have far more money than me)...that will buy the Argo's and not just invest money into the franchise, but invest PASSION into the brand.
    I totally agree with this. David Cynamon, especially, seemed to have passion for the Argos but did not have the money. Braley has the money but his heart is clearly not with the Argos. We need someone with both money and passion.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I totally agree with this. David Cynamon, especially, seemed to have passion for the Argos but did not have the money. Braley has the money but his heart is clearly not with the Argos. We need someone with both money and passion.
    But who? *play crickets sound here*

I honestly believe there is no one in Toronto with both the passion AND money to support the Argos. It leaves only the evil empire MLSE. They have the money but not the passion. But I think they will attempt to manufacture the passion and that may create something. And that's only IF they buy the team. I believe if there was a guy with money and passion he would have stepped up by now. MLSE being a corporate entity is just waiting to squeeze Braley down to a cheaper price.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    I doubt Braley would (or could) sell the Argos until they have an agreement on a stadium to play in after 2017. Braley said as much in his recent interview in the Star. Nobody is going to buy the team, even for nothing, unless the Argos have their stadium plans confirmed.

Does Braley have a passion for the Argos? He probably likes the Ticats more (he has seasons tickets there). But without Braley stepping up with his cheque book, there would likely be no Argo franchise today.

Banned
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    I doubt the Argos are on Tory's radar at all (he might watch the odd game ... maybe). Being a first year mayor, he is going to have much bigger things to think about and achieve when it comes to Toronto.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    John Tory helped CFL for $1 a year as lawyer in difficult times
    Torstar News Service October 18, 2014

In 1996, John Tory announced he would step down as chairman of the Canadian Football League after five years on the job.

But he would stay on for four more years, instead taking the helm as commissioner during the most tumultuous time in CFL history: a controversial expansion into the American market; half of the league’s eight Canadian teams in dire financial hardship; and a deficit of national sponsorship and broadcast time.

For years it was unclear whether anyone really cared about Canadian football or whether it could survive on its own.

In 1992, Tory first signed up to help pro bono — it was widely reported he received just $1 a year in compensation, something Tory and other officials say is true — during his time as an executive at Rogers Communications.

“I did that as volunteer because I felt like it was the right thing to do,” Tory said.

In that light, Tory became both the fall guy and the league’s de facto saving grace.

In the early ’90s, Tory — then a managing partner at Torys LLP, the firm started by his grandfather and run by his father — became the league’s lawyer.

Those who know him say Tory had a passion for football, having grown up watching it with his two uncles. Even then, as things often go with Tory’s public life, there was speculation about whether he would step in to the commissioner’s role after previous commissioner Donald Crump’s departure in 1991.

“I’d have to think long and hard on it,” Tory said then. “Being commissioner is more than a full-time job. You’d have to be prepared to devote all your time to it.”

Though he wouldn’t take the top job, Tory, then 40, was in 1992 a league chairman alongside newly appointed commissioner Larry Smith, a former Montreal Alouettes player.

At the time, the league’s board of governors — made up of an acrimoniousgroup of team owners — bought in to the idea of expanding south and bringing the success of American football home.

Tory’s role in all of this was strategic, said Smith, now a Canadian senator, in an interview. Tory was in charge of reviewing the plan for how to get American teams to buy into the idea and figure out how they were going to make a profit that would benefit the struggling Canadian teams.

“We were going in at the worst time really in the history of the CFL,” Smith said. “John had a high amount of visibility for the chair position.”

Tory was the one trotted out in front of TV cameras to speak about why, less than a year after the B.C. Lions played the Baltimore Stallions in the 1994 Grey Cup, the five American teams had begun to drop out.

Then in late 1995, the NFL announced their Cleveland Browns would move to Baltimore for the 1996 season, putting pressure on the Stallions who were buoyed by a large local fan base but could not compete with the vastly popular American league.

“I am optimistic the Baltimore Stallions group will remain a part of the CFL,” Tory told reporters in 1996.

But the Stallions would eventually relocate to Montreal and were later reconstructed as a new Alouettes team, marking an end to the expansion experiment.

In his book, End Zones and Border Wars: The Era of American expansion in the CFL, sportswriter Ed Willes called the Browns move the “killing blow.” He wrote that the remaining American owners met Smith in Toronto and said they were pulling out of the expansion idea.

“It ended and it ended abruptly — and it was tough,” Smith says now.

But like Tory and others who bought in to the plan, Smith argued the experiment hadn’t failed — that it brought much-needed cash flow, as much as $7 million, to the Canadian teams, and the new draw it had on American players and officials who basically didn’t know Canada even existed, let alone had football teams.

“I would argue that the expansion was a failed venture in the event that we didn’t make a success of Canadian football in the United States,” Tory says now. “But financially, it saved the league.”

Behind the scenes, the less publicized problem was that nearly half the franchises were heading for bankruptcy, an ongoing issue Smith said Tory was “critical” to resolving.

“We did a lot of that behind closed doors because we wanted to deliver the solutions,” Smith said.

There were issues with Toronto’s Argonauts, as a celebrity team of John Candy, Wayne Gretzky and Bruce McNall fell apart. Stable ownership for the B.C. Lions was needed and sought in Brick furniture store owner Bill Comrie. Later, David Braley and Bob Wetenhall would be recruited to save the Lions and the Alouettes.

“He had to deal and keep a lot of people happy,” Smith said about Tory’s role.

Wetenhall, an American who still owns the Alouettes today, remembers starting out in 1996 as the team was going bankrupt. He remembers Tory flying out to Montreal to help set up business meetings to get new sponsors. At the same time, Wetenhall remembers Tory flying across the country to Vancouver and Saskatchewan to help prop up the other teams.

“When I came to Montreal, I didn’t know anybody,” Wetenhall said. “John contributed an awesome amount to the CFL. He cared. It was just one of those unusual things . . . I’ll always be appreciative to him for that.”

David Braley, who took over the B.C. Lions at the end of 1996, said he was convinced by Tory and Smith to go to Vancouver to stabilize the team — which represented 25 per cent of the television market.

“I think he worked with all the teams very well in trying to get the problems that we had resolved,” Braley said. “He did the leadership job of making sure the eight teams that were left moved forward and we solved the problems. That’s what he did, and if you look at his record, we’re still here.”

The depth of the league’s money troubles is perhaps best exemplified in the 1996 Grey Cup game, which pitted the Edmonton Eskimos against the Argos. Tory and Jeff Giles, who was chief financial officer before becoming the league’s president, found themselves suddenly without enough money to pay the players. The money coming from the organizing committee wouldn’t be paid straight away, but the players were to be handed cheques after the game.

“We didn’t have the sponsorship we were supposed to have and we couldn’t cut the cheques the next day,” said Giles. “I said to John at that time, I just don’t have the desire to stand up one more time to say we don’t have the money.”

The two worked as the match went on to secure the funds earlier from the Hamilton committee running the event.

Giles said Tory’s real success, however, was getting the board of governors, who were making calls on the league’s future, to work in harmony.

“They’re a difficult group to manage and they’re a difficult group to get consensus on,” Giles said about the owners. “We were very divided and we were a very divisive group. We didn’t have a common vision and John helped us find it.”

Refusing a salary made it easy to say Tory was doing the job for the love of the game, Giles said. Despite working full-time as an executive with Rogers starting in 1995, Giles said Tory was often available to drop everything and help with that day’s problem, make a media appearance, or talk finances.

On the finance side, Giles said Tory was very involved with securing a $3- million loan from the NFL that was “critical” to the league’s success. Around the same time, the CFL was able to secure a deal with TSN — something Tory, Giles and Braley contributed to finalizing. Friday Night Football, a program that still exists today, was introduced with the TSN deal, adding stable programming to the Canadian league.

“He never wanted to be a commissioner,” Giles said. Still, Tory stayed, playing the role of acting commissioner when Smith left.

Michael “Pinball” Clemons, running back for the Argonauts, said the league changed under Tory’s direction — something that was felt on the field.

“As a player, when he came in as commissioner, it kind of gave us a chance to stick our chest out a little bit,” Clemons said. “He was a guy who came with a great reputation.”

There was a swagger that was reintroduced, with slogans like “Our balls are bigger” (even though the pigskin itself was the same size as the NFL’s).

Tory was someone who presented well and was able to crack jokes, including with reporters, to lighten the mood while the league was crumbling, said author and columnist Ed Willes.

“He was a champion of the CFL when there weren’t a lot of champions for the league,” he said.