Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level

Where to listen for Argo news on the radio

I just signed up yesterday to AF. Born in 1967, I grew up in Ottawa in the 1970s watching the great Rough Rider teams. Moved to Toronto in 1978, became Argo season ticket holder in 1982 with my father, and have been an Argo fan ever since. Love the CFL and the Argos. My question for all of you today is where can we tune in to hear Argos and CFL chat on the radio? SN590 refuses to cover, and TSN1050 with a vested interest has very weak coverage.

If we go by viewership on TV, the CFL should be the second most talked about sport on the radio after NHL and the Leafs, yet they get token coverage at best. TSN has just invested in the Argos effective year end which makes sense and what I read about is how they need to be careful not to over cover the Argos for optics. Funny how Rogers is not noted for their biased coverage of the Jays #its still early.

I just would like to see proportionate coverage based on eyeballs. Where can I go? Any suggestions?

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Welcome to another long time Argo and CFL fan. I don't listen to anything but music so I can't help you out. Plus as I mentioned in another post yesterday now that we live in the woods north east of Peterborough our radio selection has dropped. My poor cats who live downstairs have to listen to Country 105 in the summer. In winter when leaves are off the trees it's a cool station from Loyalist College in Belleville I believe.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    Welcome to another long time Argo and CFL fan. I don't listen to anything but music so I can't help you out. Plus as I mentioned in another post yesterday now that we live in the woods north east of Peterborough our radio selection has dropped. My poor cats who live downstairs have to listen to Country 105 in the summer. In winter when leaves are off the trees it's a cool station from Loyalist College in Belleville I believe.
    Thanks 1argoholic. As I am only 48 years young I am not ready to roll out of the retirement home to go watch the Argos yet, but I still want to hear some CFL chatter. I love Mike Hogan, but other than him nobody is consistent on the theme. Football Fridays is NFL Football Friday, why don't they start it now so we can hear about camps and the other teams. There is always news happening somewhere. Sports radio can always find time to discuss hockey, basketball and baseball. Why is it so hard to discuss CFL?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    I just signed up yesterday to AF. Born in 1967, I grew up in Ottawa in the 1970s watching the great Rough Rider teams. Moved to Toronto in 1978, became Argo season ticket holder in 1982 with my father, and have been an Argo fan ever since. Love the CFL and the Argos. My question for all of you today is where can we tune in to hear Argos and CFL chat on the radio? SN590 refuses to cover, and TSN1050 with a vested interest has very weak coverage.

If we go by viewership on TV, the CFL should be the second most talked about sport on the radio after NHL and the Leafs, yet they get token coverage at best. TSN has just invested in the Argos effective year end which makes sense and what I read about is how they need to be careful not to over cover the Argos for optics. Funny how Rogers is not noted for their biased coverage of the Jays #its still early.

I just would like to see proportionate coverage based on eyeballs. Where can I go? Any suggestions?
    Welcome to the site.

Yes, sadly it's is very hard to get any Argo coverage on the talk radio shows. If you find when Mike Hogan is on the air on 1050, he usually has at least 1 Argo segment. Once the season starts, 1050 has a 1 hour weekly show (hosted by Hogie) and Mike Richards in the morning will interview Jim Barker once a week, and occassionally have a player on every now and then, but not much else.

We diehard fans really have to work hard for our Argos news.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post

We were talking about this topic the other day. Mike Hogan even took the time to respond:

http://www.argofans.com/showthread.p...0256#post60256

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Welcome to the site.

Yes, sadly it's is very hard to get any Argo coverage on the talk radio shows. If you find when Mike Hogan is on the air on 1050, he usually has at least 1 Argo segment. Once the season starts, 1050 has a 1 hour weekly show (hosted by Hogie) and Mike Richards in the morning will interview Jim Barker once a week, and occassionally have a player on every now and then, but not much else.

We diehard fans really have to work hard for our Argos news.

Thanks that's what I thought. I already listen to Argos All Access. I have to hope that 1050 will do more as their ownership takes hold.

Thanks Neely. I like Hogan and I read his pieces about the draft they were good. The stations are able to discuss the other sports every single day. I don't see why the Argos and CFL cant be treated the same way. There is news almost every day somewhere. I mean look how big a deal the ownership change is and the questions that fall out of that and the interviews that need to be done. Where is the media in covering this? They spent 5 minutes on it and went on to Babcock and never followed up. Tannenbaum has spent more time discussing how owning the Argos is better to bring the NFL here, than discussing how he is going to promote and own the team is now has. Doesn't anyone in the media want to discuss this with him?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    The radio programs in the larger cities are horrid in their ability to keep Argo fans informed. Hogan does a great job .... when I catch him.
    I say larger sities, as the programing in TO is completely different than even 900 in Hamilton .
    Other than that ... I just surf around online .... often finding info from other teams sites on what is happening here.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Yeah, there is some Argos talk on "Game Night" which is evenings on TSN 1050. Nothing consistent though. It's tough I know but as someone who used to work in talk radio you basically are forced to follow to station's target and format. If Hogan was allowed to all CFL, he would be happy to I am sure. The Argos (and TFC, Rock, Marlies etc) just don't draw enough interest. Stations are afraid you will switch the dial while constant Leafs although repetitive, generates numbers.

One great option that I like during the season is on SiriusXM. They carry every CFL game (on Canada Talks I believe) and used to do a pre-game show that aired before each of the four games. It was basically a "CFL this week" style show but usually featured Cohon etc. Not sure if that's going to be back this year as you know things change.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    I almost fell out of my chair today when I saw that FAN 590 (or Sportsnet 590 or whatever they call themselves now) spent an entire hour from 6 pm to 7 pm talking CFL and it wasn't to bash it. Jeff Blair and Stephen Brunt were the co-hosts today and they spent half the show talking about Michael Sam and the other half about the Ticats but they also sprinkled in a little talk about who will win the East and where the next generation of CFL QBs will come from.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I almost fell out of my chair today when I saw that FAN 590 (or Sportsnet 590 or whatever they call themselves now) spent an entire hour from 6 pm to 7 pm talking CFL and it wasn't to bash it. Jeff Blair and Stephen Brunt were the co-hosts today and they spent half the show talking about Michael Sam and the other half about the Ticats but they also sprinkled in a little talk about who will win the East and where the next generation of CFL QBs will come from.
    Very interesting! It had been my understanding that Blair was one of the personalities that was most critical of the Argos move to BMO.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    Very interesting! It had been my understanding that Blair was one of the personalities that was most critical of the Argos move to BMO.
    He has been. I had written him off on another site as being "anti-CFL" but I suspect that he is more "anti-Argo" than anything else. He mentioned yesterday about being a Blue Bombers fan as he is from Winnipeg and had nice things to say about Hamilton too. He also mentioned that he covered the Stampeders for the Calgary Herald many years ago (the mid 1980s?). Anyway, it was very strange to see so much CFL talk on a Rogers station and on McCown's program too. Of course, McCown himself wasn't there which may explain it.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    So Rogers is only anti-CFL if the league is being discussed within the context of the Argonauts? They have Mitchell on quite a bit.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    So Rogers is only anti-CFL if the league is being discussed within the context of the Argonauts? They have Mitchell on quite a bit.
    They usually just ignore the CFL but the venom that they spew tends to be more towards the Argos than anyone else.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Achievements:

Level
    They usually just ignore the CFL but the venom that they spew tends to be more towards the Argos than anyone else.
    I think it's more Anti-Argos than anything else. McCowan never had anything good to say about Braley and now that the Argos are part owned by their biggest competitor, sadly the venom will continue.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I was unable to listen to the radio today. With the opening of Toronto Argonauts training camp was there any Argonauts talk today?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    I like Hogan, he's good. But Hoagie if u read this....stop being such a Canadian baxter asking everyone with a foreign passport "what they knew about Canada before coming here?" . it's embarrassing. ;]

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    He has been. I had written him off on another site as being "anti-CFL" but I suspect that he is more "anti-Argo" than anything else. He mentioned yesterday about being a Blue Bombers fan as he is from Winnipeg and had nice things to say about Hamilton too. He also mentioned that he covered the Stampeders for the Calgary Herald many years ago (the mid 1980s?). Anyway, it was very strange to see so much CFL talk on a Rogers station and on McCown's program too. Of course, McCown himself wasn't there which may explain it.
    Sure, born in Winnipeg and now lives in the Hammer, of course he has nice things to say about both organizations but who gives a shit either way what any of the 590 guys say.
    By contrast guys like Chris Schultz and Mike Hogan aren't full of ego and have always been true to the league and the Argonauts in particular.

Banned
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 158
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
    I think it's more Anti-Argos than anything else. McCowan never had anything good to say about Braley and now that the Argos are part owned by their biggest competitor, sadly the venom will continue.
    it's hard for mccowan or really anyone to have anything good to say about Braley and how he operated the Argos the last few years. As far as mccowan I think the new owners would be wise to try to get mccowan on his good side with the team. He is after all the most listened to sports guy on the radio in Toronto and as many people don't like him on this site most of all still listen to him. I remember when c&s was running the team before he always had Keith pelley on the radio talking Argos football all the time. I realize that he works for Rogers and all but if the Argos are serious about cleaning up the mess Braley left they will have to start on all corners.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    it's hard for mccowan or really anyone to have anything good to say about Braley and how he operated the Argos the last few years. As far as mccowan I think the new owners would be wise to try to get mccowan on his good side with the team. He is after all the most listened to sports guy on the radio in Toronto and as many people don't like him on this site most of all still listen to him. I remember when c&s was running the team before he always had Keith pelley on the radio talking Argos football all the time. I realize that he works for Rogers and all but if the Argos are serious about cleaning up the mess Braley left they will have to start on all corners.
    Kissing media butt is never a bad business decision. But the question is, would McCowan care enough to make it worthwhile?
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    The trouble with our all sports channels here in the city, there is not much to choose between them.
    The hated Rogers 590 is followed by the lite 1a TSN 1050.
    As we have all been saying, the TSN in light of the TV side is surprising as there is not much more cross promotion.