Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    Such as? What were you expecting?
    How about the same things they have done in the past? They have had fan appreciation days in which they have had giveaways to 10 or 20 random seat holders in the past. Or how about at least giving every fan in the building a free Argos toque? The lack of effort to thank the fans that actually pay and show up was pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by flutie02 View Post
    What do we expect. Here is the CEO (Rudge ) telling the Globe and Mail that hosting a playoff game for the Argos is a double edge sword, and would not be great for the team, due to all the expenses that team would have to pay.
    This is a load of BS. The league actually owns and runs every playoff game. The home team has the option of purchasing the game from the league, which obviously the Argos wouldn't have done this season. I can guarantee, the league was hoping that the Argos would not be hosting a playoff game this year, because they would have lost money on it.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by flutie02 View Post
    What do we expect. Here is the CEO (Rudge ) telling the Globe and Mail that hosting a playoff game for the Argos is a double edge sword, and would not be great for the team, due to all the expenses that team would have to pay. This the head guy for the Argos, more or less hoping the Argos don't win enough so they don't host a playoff game, unfreken believe able. As a guy who has gotten into fist fights supporting this team, it pains me to say the Argos are done. We have 1 hail marry pass to move to BMO, without that, well, the last person out, please turn off the lights!!!
    I hadn't read this article until tonight but here is the quote from Rudge:

“It’s a double-edged sword for us because we want to show we’re putting a competitive product on the field, but hosting the East-semi would be a significant economic challenge for us, as the host team is responsible for so many extra costs, including travel for the visiting team,” said Chris Rudge, Argos executive chairman and CEO. “For most teams, hosting a playoff game allows you to generate a big crowd and a chance to make a profit, but we face a different challenge in Toronto and have a limited marketing budget. In order to break even we would have to sell 20,000-25,000 tickets for that game.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle21489911/

Not that it matters now but wouldn't this have been a problem only if the Argos were to buy the playoff game from the league? I realize that almost everyone now does this but I thought that the default was that the league ran the playoff games, paid all of the costs and reaped the benefits UNLESS the host team wanted to buy the game from the league. Did this change recently?
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Is Braley broke? Rudge's comments sound like something from the US expansion days when teams were really struggling.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Braley from everything I've heard all year long hasn't put money into much. I guess the Argos have a very small office staff at this point and ZERO was put into any significant marketing. The guy is a business man and hopefully he has something up his sleeve. I just don't understand his motives in driving this team into the crapper and hoping someone will give him the money he wants for the team.

Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    I just don't understand his motives in driving this team into the crapper and hoping someone will give him the money he wants for the team.
    That is the million dollar question. Why is someone who has proven his love and loyalty to the league time and again, doing this to the Argos.

I would love to think there is some method to the madness but a new owner is going to have such a big hill to climb. Is the idea to kill it (not literally) and basically start over with a totally new outlook as happened in Ottawa?

Braley is by far the richest dude in the league, a billionaire, (worth three times more than the NFL joke Bon Jovi) why is he doing this?

Banned
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Sweet f**k all, personally don't expect any giveaways, my point is don't bill the game as a fan appreciation game if are not going to put any effort into it, it makes the team look cheap once again.
    Well said.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    B
    Quote Originally Posted by rdavies View Post
    That is the million dollar question. Why is someone who has proven his love and loyalty to the league time and again, doing this to the Argos.

I would love to think there is some method to the madness but a new owner is going to have such a big hill to climb. Is the idea to kill it (not literally) and basically start over with a totally new outlook as happened in Ottawa?

Braley is by far the richest dude in the league, a billionaire, (worth three times more than the NFL joke Bon Jovi) why is he doing this?
    Mmmmmm .... Growing up a Ticats fan will have ingrained basis of hating the Argos .... Even after many years it still comes through .... Although I do agree he should show more interest, or at least have one of his lackies do the job, I am thankful that he scooped up the team rather than it go the Ottawa route..... I'd hate to have become a Ticat fan for the years the Argos would have disappeared.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I know this is a podcast from a couple of weeks ago, but I just had time to listen to it. Rudge addresses his comments that were written in the globe, and admits that they are true but taken out of context ... The reporter heard a statement and disregarded the rest ..... How often that happens.
    Anyway, here is the podcast access ...... Sorry if it's a repost .....http://iphone.tsn.ca/tsnpodcasts/Arg...ember%2010.mp3

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argocister View Post
    The reporter heard a statement and disregarded the rest ..... How often that happens.
    A public figure makes a statement to a journalist, then backtracks by crying "out of context" -- how often that happens.