Reply to Thread
    New Fan
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 43
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level

Friday Night Blues

Here we are the last Friday night of the 2014 season.

We just returned from a bland game at Rogers Centre. Mark Cohon making a final appearance, Ricky Ray concussed and not playing, the great Henry Burris ending the debut season of the Redblacks with a loss, Argos' playoff prospects contingent, and the bleak future of Toronto overall.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/argos/...ng_arthur.html

The subway ride home carried youthful, engaged Raptors' watchers and a greying minority of Argos fans. I asked merch-wearing 15 year olds the basketball score, and they were gushing about their game's experience. I related the Argos win, and charmingly, they were just as happy to hear it. I have never seen teenagers going to an Argos game on their own. Tellingly, there were many of them at games I attended in September at TD Place and Terrain Tim Hortons Field. That's the Argos future getting missed, and it added to my funk.

I feel sad with the CFL season ending like this. Chris and Glen on the evening's second game shaking hands and wrapping it up. Great players injured and questionable for the playoffs. A golden-era CFL commissioner changing careers. The diminished status and prospects of a historic franchise. Blue. Double blue.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Wonderful negativity for your first post! I'm sure you can fit right in with a media job. The Argos only have a bleak future if we convince ourselves they do. I personally see a building of a very competitive team, especially on the defensive side of the ball. As the article mentions, a move should lead to a healthier future, just like the new practice facility has. As I mentioned in another post, one more win and we are in the playoffs, maybe even first place! A little more marketing, (alas the Raptors strength), a new home, a few more thousand fans and everything will be just peachy again. I refuse to be brought down by all this negativity because we missed the playoffs by one game. I've seen this team rise and fall so many times, this is simply a new chapter.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by torontois View Post
    Here we are the last Friday night of the 2014 season.

We just returned from a bland game at Rogers Centre. Mark Cohon making a final appearance, Ricky Ray concussed and not playing, the great Henry Burris ending the debut season of the Redblacks with a loss, Argos' playoff prospects contingent, and the bleak future of Toronto overall.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/argos/...ng_arthur.html

The subway ride home carried youthful, engaged Raptors' watchers and a greying minority of Argos fans. I asked merch-wearing 15 year olds the basketball score, and they were gushing about their game's experience. I related the Argos win, and charmingly, they were just as happy to hear it. I have never seen teenagers going to an Argos game on their own. Tellingly, there were many of them at games I attended in September at TD Place and Terrain Tim Hortons Field. That's the Argos future getting missed, and it added to my funk.

I feel sad with the CFL season ending like this. Chris and Glen on the evening's second game shaking hands and wrapping it up. Great players injured and questionable for the playoffs. A golden-era CFL commissioner changing careers. The diminished status and prospects of a historic franchise. Blue. Double blue.
    Welcome aboard!
    I see much the same on the GO train from Burlington, yes the Argos have much work to do, hopefully Barker and Milanovich stick around and things improve next season, we'll see, I liked your post, pretty realistic observations, post what you think and see, personally I feel this season was a colossal disappointment as we have come to expect more from this management team and coaching staff, realistic or "negative" posts as some would have you believe don't make you any less of a Argonaut fan!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I'll add my own little story to this thread. As I work downtown, I was killing time before walking over to the dome for the game. Walking along Front St, there was a scalper asking "Who needs Argos tickets?". A late 40's/early 50's very trendy looking dude walking with whom I assume to be his lady (who really knows, she may have been bought and paid for) trying to be cool, turns and says, "who would want Argo tickets?"

Now people that know me, know that I am far from someone that would ever start a fight, but I guess at 6'3" and near 270lbs I can look a little intimidating. I turned to him and said, "I would. I'm a long time season ticket holder.". His voice then went down a few decibels, and he says to me, "No, I meant, who would buy them off a scalper?".

I then replied to him, "Ya, right buddy.", as he slowed down and let me get further ahead of him.

Typical, yuppie, Toronto weasel, that can't think for himself. "I only go to things that are cool."
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I'll add my own little story to this thread. As I work downtown, I was killing time before walking over to the dome for the game. Walking along Front St, there was a scalper asking "Who needs Argos tickets?". A late 40's/early 50's very trendy looking dude walking with whom I assume to be his lady (who really knows, she may have been bought and paid for) trying to be cool, turns and says, "who would want Argo tickets?"

Now people that know me, know that I am far from someone that would ever start a fight, but I guess at 6'3" and near 270lbs I can look a little intimidating. I turned to him and said, "I would. I'm a long time season ticket holder.". His voice then went down a few decibels, and he says to me, "No, I meant, who would buy them off a scalper?".

I then replied to him, "Ya, right buddy.", as he slowed down and let me get further ahead of him.

Typical, yuppie, Toronto weasel, that can't think for himself. "I only go to things that are cool."
    Good on you AV ... Just have to let others know we are out there. We have to be less invisible... That's all.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level

I can picture the entire scene AV...well done sir!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Level

He is probably at the country club with Biff, Spalding and the gang telling them about this coarse ruffian Argo fan who verbally abused him.....way to go Angelo!!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    He is probably at the country club with Biff, Spalding and the gang telling them about this coarse ruffian Argo fan who verbally abused him.....way to go Angelo!!!!
    "Course Ruffian"....so you have met Angelo?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Welcome on board Torontois. Having seen the Argos perform far more dismally on the field from 1959 to the early 80s during the Cup 52-82 drought, I will soldier on as an Argo fan even with the knowledge the Argos in the stands are facing their greatest challenge. They have come back before.
    Living in Vancouver now, I remember a time in the late 1980s when the Canucks had trouble getting 8,000 fans in the arena, yet they are now the hot "in" ticket.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    Living in Vancouver now, I remember a time in the late 1980s when the Canucks had trouble getting 8,000 fans in the arena, yet they are now the hot "in" ticket.
    The B.C. Lions were THE hot ticket in Vancouver in those days. For some of the younger people on here, I know it is hard to believe that football can take precedence over hockey in this country but it did happen in Vancouver in the mid 1980s and also happened in Winnipeg at that time too. The changing sports media landscape in this country has made this next to impossible today though with at least 80% of coverage devoted to the NHL.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force