Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 173
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Montreal is proving that you do not require a QB to win in the CFL...and how about that Kevin Glenn?????

Very concerning looking at all the empty seats in Montreal today. Some interesting views on the Alouettes forum regarding their ownership.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Someone tell me again how did Edmonton DB Alonzo Lawrence not make the 2014 edition of the Toronto Argonauts???

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    A 6% drop in yardage does not remotely capture the ineptitude of offences this season, IMO. The quarterbacks are, for the most part, far below the level of the 1980s, '90s and 2000s (and I doubt that will change because so many of the type of guys who used to come up here are now coveted by the NFL), and the defences are way more proficient at taking away big/exciting offensive plays. IMO the league needs to make some tangible rules changes to open up the offences again. I am watching today's semifinals but far less closely than I used to when my team was not involved, and for a time I tuned away from the Mtl-BC laugher to see what was going on in the (much closer) NFL games on at the same time.
    Defensive schemes are much more aggressive and "attack" oriented, holding penalties are much more stringently called these days, makes for some boring crappy games which we have seen today in particular.
    Don't have a lot of interest in the playoffs this year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Someone tell me again how did Edmonton DB Alonzo Lawrence not make the 2014 edition of the Toronto Argonauts???
    I also found that move curious when it happened, Lawrence was on of the better newcomers in 2013.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Montreal is proving that you do not require a QB to win in the CFL...and how about that Kevin Glenn?????

Very concerning looking at all the empty seats in Montreal today. Some interesting views on the Alouettes forum regarding their ownership.
    I know it is bitter cold in Edmonton but their stadium looked half empty today as well.

Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Interesting. I bet Jones decided to release him as assistant GM, since it seemed like he had control of his defence but was picked up soon by EDM. I guess Jones realized that Lawrence can play. I doubt the Argos would release him if Jones wanted to use Lawrence on the defence.

Greg Alexandre with a sack. Remember him? Surprised that he's considered for team rookie of the year nomination. Could have used him with injury to Laing.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Banned
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Braley's first love bit the biscuit big time. Glad that BC didn't win an EAST semi! Reilly proved that he has big balls compared to Durant ... Durant is a candy a$$ ... not ready for a (BIG) game mentally. Hope the Wheat farming fans dump cow dung on his lawn (or him). Glad the Mucus Riders are out!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Interesting. I bet Jones decided to release him as assistant GM, since it seemed like he had control of his defence but was picked up soon by EDM. I guess Jones realized that Lawrence can play. I doubt the Argos would release him if Jones wanted to use Lawrence on the defence.

Greg Alexandre with a sack. Remember him? Surprised that he's considered for team rookie of the year nomination. Could have used him with injury to Laing.
    Chris Jones did release Gregory Alexandre a couple of years ago but Lawrence wasn't released until after this preseason.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:

Level
    A 6% drop in yardage does not remotely capture the ineptitude of offences this season, IMO. The quarterbacks are, for the most part, far below the level of the 1980s, '90s and 2000s (and I doubt that will change because so many of the type of guys who used to come up here are now coveted by the NFL), and the defences are way more proficient at taking away big/exciting offensive plays. IMO the league needs to make some tangible rules changes to open up the offences again. I am watching today's semifinals but far less closely than I used to when my team was not involved, and for a time I tuned away from the Mtl-BC laugher to see what was going on in the (much closer) NFL games on at the same time.
    CFL offensive coaches are, for the most part, an ultra predictable, boring clique of same old thinkers - same standard look on offence across the league: QB always in shot-gun, one basic run play out of standard 5 pack look, little to no applied or power run game - little to no sweeps, counters , blasts up the middle; .mostly dink & dunk passes with OCs too gutless to air the ball out down field often, no real use of a fullback or tight end (other than the very limited/ slight return combo H-back set we see a few times a game from some teams). SORRY - there is your main & over-riding culprit for some terrrible CFL offences now; weak QBing can be a factor too, and maybe along with some slightly better Ds on display (sorry again - nothing even remotely close to a "dominant" defence now) - but the !ST factor i listed is IMO 99% of the problem here.

Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Chris Jones did release Gregory Alexandre a couple of years ago but Lawrence wasn't released until after this preseason.
    You're right Ravi. I was thinking of Josh Gatlin, who was released last mid season and then picked up by EDM.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    CFL offensive coaches are, for the most part, an ultra predictable, boring clique of same old thinkers - same standard look on offence across the league: QB always in shot-gun, one basic run play out of standard 5 pack look, little to no applied or power run game - little to no sweeps, counters , blasts up the middle; .mostly dink & dunk passes with OCs too gutless to air the ball out down field often, no real use of a fullback or tight end (other than the very limited/ slight return combo H-back set we see a few times a game from some teams). SORRY - there is your main & over-riding culprit for some terrrible CFL offences now; weak QBing can be a factor too, and maybe along with some slightly better Ds on display (sorry again - nothing even remotely close to a "dominant" defence now) - but the !ST factor i listed is IMO 99% of the problem here.
    And how is this general approach (always shotgun, few fullbacks or tight ends, little emphasis on the run, no power sweeps, etc.) any different than what we had from the mid-1980s through the mid-2000s? And yet offences were far more fun to watch then.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    And how is this general approach (always shotgun, few fullbacks or tight ends, little emphasis on the run, no power sweeps, etc.) any different than what we had from the mid-1980s through the mid-2000s? And yet offences were far more fun to watch then.
    Also, if those offences were so ineffective, why has the NFL copied them?
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 92
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    You just proved OV's point. What could be more stale and predictable than an offensive mindset that dates back to the mid-1980s?

Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Also, if those offences were so ineffective, why has the NFL copied them?
    Have they? I see tight ends lining up in the NFL at least 80%-90% of the time.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    You just proved OV's point. What could be more stale and predictable than an offensive mindset that dates back to the mid-1980s?

Have they? I see tight ends lining up in the NFL at least 80%-90% of the time.
    Big target, great hands receiving tight ends are huge features of a lot of NFL offences now.

Totally lost concept on the CFL offensive "minds" now though; but the good ole boys must be right, eh Ravi & Paul ? - a tight end as a regular part of a CFL offence now just couldn't work or be of any value - both as a receiving threat and a blocking force for the run game (what run game?). Lack of variety or diversity in CFL offences now i find just sad or lame or very questionable - but - to each his own opinion. And I'm old enough to remember players like Mel Profit, Herm Harrison, Peter Dalla Riva, Tony Gabriel; and then the tight end morphed into a mostly slot position with big, tough & good hands slots like DiPietro or Elgaard as very effective parts of CFL offences. A player like John Delahunt (receving star in Junior ball up here and then a tight end in Div. I ball) with Ottawa could be a real force for their offence IMO is he was used every down as a slot back and/or tight end; but i guess they prefer the faster, no hands receivers they regularly employed this year = just brutal.

The Argos have a couple of very good smallish, speedy, great YAC yards receivers in Owens & Durie; they have had some good downfield pure receiver types too - like Inman, or Chiles or Watt at times perhaps; they might be wise to add a big, tough, great hands possession receiver (could line-up some both as slot or tight end); Robinson & Dupuis did some things in a very limited role, but not sure they are every down receiver types (and a true fullback just isn't used much anymore in the CFL now anyways); like to see the Argos add a bigger, solid hands type receiever as a regular part of their offence (love to see them be able to draft 6-5 Addison Richards (Regina) this coming CFL draft: or sign a good US college ball TE that the NFL has over-looked). Wayyyyyyyyyyyyy more diversity on offence please - add a big, tough receiver too the mix and get a big power back (guess this brain trust had never heard of Jerome Messam while he was sitting around availablle for free for weeks as a FA ???) too as a compliment to wayyyyyyy more ground game on offence too.
    Last edited by OV Argo; 11-21-2014 at 08:05 PM.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Messam only had 166 more rushing yards than Ricky Ray this season, so I'm not sure we really missed the boat there, OV.

I share your appreciation for experimentation on offense, though. Our O has been described as complex, but it rarely looked that way this year. In terms of execution, I can't remember the last time one of our receivers was penalized for a pick play, which suggests to me that we weren't trying hard enough to "rub" someone open. Our 2014 "receiverpocalypse" meant that we had to dumb things down, but pushing the envelope with our backup receivers might have been a good answer.

Banned
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    but pushing the envelope with our backup receivers might have been a good answer.
    I definitely say YA.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Messam only had 166 more rushing yards than Ricky Ray this season, so I'm not sure we really missed the boat there, OV.

I share your appreciation for experimentation on offense, though. Our O has been described as complex, but it rarely looked that way this year. In terms of execution, I can't remember the last time one of our receivers was penalized for a pick play, which suggests to me that we weren't trying hard enough to "rub" someone open. Our 2014 "receiverpocalypse" meant that we had to dumb things down, but pushing the envelope with our backup receivers might have been a good answer.
    Not sure what you mean there with the irrelevant comparison to Ray's rushing numbers - Messam never played full-time at RB for the Riders, but when he did play some, he flashed some of his old form - a big, bruising tailback with impressive speed & moves for such a big back; could have been a nice compliment to a back like Slaton - that's maybe IF the offence was interested in lots of or a diverse ground game. And the point still is anyways - Messam was available for free, he's a former CFL 1000 yd. rusher with serious skills, and maybe he might have helped the team; but maybe we shouldn\t be questioning anything to do with team decisions here ? - just give Barker & co. a free pass?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I compare Messam with Cory Boyd..except Canadian...a big bruisng back yes, but perhaps lacks in blocking capability. Would he have fit in the the Argo offence better than Boyd?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I compare Messam with Cory Boyd..except Canadian...a big bruisng back yes, but perhaps lacks in blocking capability. Would he have fit in the the Argo offence better than Boyd?
    That's one thing I learned of the Boyd experience. ..... Now all RBs are judged by .... can they block?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

You hear the "complex" offence description from many organization which to me is the coaching staff trying to sound like their schemes are better and or revolutionary compared to other teams, to me complete bullshit, watch any game and most CFL teams plays look quite similar. It comes down to personnel and execution period!
    Not sure about the Argos "dumbing" down their offence but one telecast caught Ricky Ray calling a "button hook on two" to which Darvin Adams ran the wrong route.......true story!!