Thread: CIS Playoffs

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    NAnd sorry - your assessment of Roberts is way off; he was very good in beating Carleton and a tough Western D in the play-offs but he faced a very good D today; you are obviously pre-disposed to belive Canadian QBs "suck" for some (gob) reason.
    OK, so he plays like crap against 2 good defences, and my assessment is wrong? Shouldn't good players step up against good teams? There's an FYI for you...Pal.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    OV no reason to jump on every one that says a QB sucked ..... Roberts didn't play well today,... And last week against western he managed the game, but also didn't play well... He is only in his second or third year.Cousineau is in his fifth year. There should be a difference.

Now O'connor on the other hand is in his first year.... 19 yrs old .... And has had extra training in the states.This training and his talent shows. He has 4 more years available to him in the CIS. Hope he stays.

I think for many of the CIS teams it's not only the QBs but more important the coaching, that helps the teams and their players look good. ..... And of course the money helps.

It will be interesting to watch the Vanier next week ..... Montreal and UBC. The 5 th year QB with a strong athletic team , been there done that team vs the rookie QB, with poise beyond his years, with a team that is speedy and has belief in the new system with Nill as their new coach.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    During the broadcast it was stated that O'Connor wants to win multiple Vaniers during his five years at UBC, so I guess he does want to stay.

Also, Arash Madani was his usual annoying self. And you'd figure someone who describes himself as a football junkie would know the simultaneous possession rule.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 462
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    OK, so he plays like crap against 2 good defences, and my assessment is wrong? Shouldn't good players step up against good teams? There's an FYI for you...Pal.
    Cousineau could help a CFL team as either a special teamer or a receiver.

Is the Vanier Cup only available on Rogers? If so I guess I will not be able to watch it. Go UBC!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    I haven't been able to watch a lot of CIS football this year, which I guess is a problem we all have considering the pitiful lack of coverage it gets, but I have been able to get to three live games this season. Made it to one regular season game and both the Yates and Mitchell Cups and one thing I noticed at all of them was the lack of penalties being called in comparison with the CFL. Has anyone else noticed this and are there any comparable stats to confirm this? I found it quite refreshing to watch games were flags aren't flying all the time.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    During the broadcast it was stated that O'Connor wants to win multiple Vaniers during his five years at UBC, so I guess he does want to stay.

Also, Arash Madani was his usual annoying self. And you'd figure someone who describes himself as a football junkie would know the simultaneous possession rule.
    You'd think he'd also know that any ball spotted inside the one yard line immediately goes back to the one yd line in Canadian Football, so the defense can defend the goal line. In UBC's first TD drive, they had a first down without breaking the plane of the goal line inside the 1, and he says it's first and goal from the half yard line. Ok, maybe he forgot, but when St.FX took another penalty, he then stated that it was first and goal from the quarter yard, or inches. (huh). Really disappointed that Andy Bechler who played in the OUA for Laurier could not correct him on that. Didn't Arash also play CIS level football and he didn't know the rule inside the 1.

Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Cousineau could help a CFL team as either a special teamer or a receiver.

Is the Vanier Cup only available on Rogers? If so I guess I will not be able to watch it. Go UBC!
    Cousineau is a decent QB, decent arm strength with some nice touches on those wide passes to the sideline to Paquet. Definitely better than Roberts, who at best may be invited to a camp merely for numbers as I don't think he has the arm and quick enough delivery for pro, but you never know. The Vanier Cup will be on the all Sportsnet channels along with SN360 if I saw that correctly yesterday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerkeeper View Post
    I haven't been able to watch a lot of CIS football this year, which I guess is a problem we all have considering the pitiful lack of coverage it gets, but I have been able to get to three live games this season. Made it to one regular season game and both the Yates and Mitchell Cups and one thing I noticed at all of them was the lack of penalties being called in comparison with the CFL. Has anyone else noticed this and are there any comparable stats to confirm this? I found it quite refreshing to watch games were flags aren't flying all the time.
    It was a really bad season for officiating in the CFL, the type that gives ticket office reps a tough time to sell the product in my opinion. It's one thing to protect the QB, but another to affect the credibility of the game like they've done by stupidly calling roughing the passer with a slight bump after the ball has been released...Also, I understand protecting them from concussions, but if you can't hit him high and can't him low, where can you hit a QB. Simoni Lawrence was exactly right about that hit he put on Burris in Week 19, it was a football play. There comes a time when a team has to also question how effective their O-line is avoiding those types of open tackles on their QB's. That's football.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    It's too bad that Sportsnet has the Vanier ..... I know the bowl games weren't available to many viewers as it was only on their 360 channel. Hopefully it will be on the basic Sportsnet stations this weekend.
    I hope Madani isn't calling the game. There are bette choices out there ..... That actually know the teams and the rules.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerkeeper View Post
    There have been fewer flags in the CFL late in the season and we usually see fewer in the playoffs too. I am not sure how many flags were thrown in the CIS during the season but I would expect not that many flags to be thrown in the playoffs at that level also.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    There have been fewer flags in the CFL late in the season and we usually see fewer in the playoffs too. I am not sure how many flags were thrown in the CIS during the season but I would expect not that many flags to be thrown in the playoffs at that level also.
    I went to week 1 game between Laurier and York, and admittedly I wasn't paying too much attention to the officiating, but there didn't seem to be that many flags in comparison to the CFL games early in the year. I think unless it is a serious major infraction, or one that directly impacts the play, the refs do the right thing and look the other way. That is the way it should be, but officials in the CFL just don't seem to have a feel for the game and it's flow.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 153
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofandave View Post
    CHCH tv will be showing one of the Yates Cup semi-final games on November 7th and the Yates Cup game on November 14th.
    Big layoffs at CHCH tv on Friday which probably means that they won't be showing any OUA football games next year.