Thread: CIS Playoffs

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level

CIS Playoffs

Well, CIS football is down to the finals in the respective leagues. ...AUS was last week with MtAlison winning for a second year in a row.
    Hopefully some of you can get the Mac vs Guelph game. It apparently will be on some Rogers cable stations this afternoon. You can always watch the Dunsmore .... On RDS .... In French of course but what better way to brush up on your french then watching Montreal and Laval football.
    If you are out west Shaw will cover the game between Manitoba and Calgary.
    All 3 games will be competitive and probably close.... Although Laval fans are calling for a big win for the rouge et Or .
    I'm heading to the Mac game to get my football fix ..... Hope you get to watch some games!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 153
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    The Yates Cup game is on Cogeco Cable 14 in Milton right now.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 462
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    I was able to watch the 4th quarter of the Yates Cup on OUA TV....those volunteers do a decent job. I was hoping that Guelph would advance but it was not meant to be.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:

Level
    Congrats to the final 4 = the 4 M club; it will be Manitoba vs. Montreal (match-up of 2 of the best CIS QBs in some time IMO - Yantz & Cousineau (this guy is maybe one of the most talented CIS QB in years IMO - poised, accurate, strong arm, smart, good reads' + some mobility - like to hear AV's take on him if he gets to see him play); then Mac vs Mt. A (some good vet players, and they have the experience of going to the final 4 last season there = they could surprise)

Huge upsets today with 2 powerhouse favorites being beat at home; the past 2 Laval / Montreal games have been 2 of the best Canadian football games i have viewed this season.

Also - some very good CFL draft prospects on display in these games - like Mt A DT Jacob Leblanc, Montreal (great D) defensive stars - DE JS Blanc, LB Byron Archambault & safety Anthony Coady, and Manitoba receiver Nic Demski, or Mac DB Steven Ventreska.

Some great Canadian football upcoming in the CIS final 4 i bet.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Next week will be interesting ......Montreal is very strong along the line of scrimmage .... And their secondary is good as well. It will be interesting to see if they can represent the Q well against Yantz and company. Personally I'm pulling for
    Montreal ..... Always being the second in line to Laval .... Although the Bisons are one of those teams peaking at playoff time so anything could happen.

I am a Mac fan, but I think they should be able to conquer Mt Alison. mind you, Mac has a habit of playing just to the level to beat their opponents, which is nerve racking as a fan. Mt.Alison can be a strong team but Having seen both this year, I think
    Mac can pull the win out. .... Just limit the turnovers though please!
    Last edited by Argocister; 11-16-2014 at 12:00 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    We shouldn't forget to congratulate Danny Maciocia on the fine job he has done with that Montreal program.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    I was at the game in Hamilton today. Friggin cold even for a sunny day. The wind was really wierd, coming - it seemed - from every direction. Good crowd to. Disappointing ending for Guelph, coming so close but congadulations to Mac for the hard fought win.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Just a bloody joke that we don't get any CIS on our Bell dish out here in the sticks. Great that ESPN North (TSN) and it's multitude of stations is all NCAA. Found one game listed on a French station but we don't get it. At least the evil empire, Laval is out.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    Just a bloody joke that we don't get any CIS on our Bell dish out here in the sticks. Great that ESPN North (TSN) and it's multitude of stations is all NCAA. Found one game listed on a French station but we don't get it. At least the evil empire, Laval is out.
    This Saturday you will be able to get both 1argoholic, as Rogers said they will broadcast the Bowl games nationally.

Sat at 1 will be the
    Carabin and Bisons in Montreal ..... That stadium is very loud as it sits in a bowl with the mountain and buildings providing surround sound. It only seats 5200 but can get very loud!

Mac and MtAlison follow at 4 ..... Chilly game with the sun going down.
    Then the CFL East and West finals on Sunday .....
    Sigh .....another weekend without getting the chores done.
    Last edited by Argocister; 11-18-2014 at 02:31 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post

Yeah - it is a joke 'holic.

Next to zero respect for CIS football (and to me that extends to a general lack of respect for CANADIAN football) from the sports media up here while they fawn all over US college ball showing game & hilites galore - Sportsnet & TSN are both a f^*$in joke = wannabe arseholes.

CIS football needs somebody to take charge or give a rat's @$$ marketing a very good on field product - total lack of TV coverage for the OUA Yates Cup was pathetic; I was able to watch Q action all year on the French CBC, and i got to see some CanWest action with my new Shaw sat.; had to subscribe to Sportnet 360 today though to be able to get the 2 national semis.

Pulling for Mt. A as the underdog in the final 4. I would bet on Montreal though (beating a seeming unbeatable Laval juggernaut - twice !), but maybe any of the other 3 can give them a good game.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Go Mac. I will always cheer the OUA teams.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Watching the 1st semi - Manitoba at Montreal = tremendous football game so far - 27-21 at the half.

Battle of 2 very good CIS QBs - Yantz (Manitoba) and Cousineau (Montreal) - both have passed for 2 TDs and ran for one so far; Yantz is big, has a good arm and can run too; and Cousineau is maybe the best pure passing CIS QB i have seen in a long time- poised, with a very strong & accurate arm ' and Montreal MLB Archambault is a real force on D (O|Shea should be looking at this guy in the draft to help the Bombers weak middle of the |D)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    WatchHaven'tthe 1st semi - Manitoba at Montreal = tremendous football game so far - 27-21 at the half.

Battle of 2 very good CIS QBs - Yantz (Manitoba) and Cousineau (Montreal) - both have passed for 2 TDs and ran for one so far; Yantz is big, has a good arm and can run too; and Cousineau is maybe the best pure passing CIS QB i have seen in a long time- poised, with a very strong & accurate arm ' and Montreal MLB Archambault is a real force on D (O|Shea should be looking at this guy in the draft to help the Bombers weak middle of the |D)
    It has been a great game. Haven't enjoyed a game this much all year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 462
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerkeeper View Post
    It has been a great game. Haven't enjoyed a game this much all year.
    Man I miss the days when TSN had the CIS football coverage....

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Man I miss the days when TSN had the CIS football coverage....
    Madani is no Rod Smith to be sure. Anyway, congrats to Danny Maciocia on getting his team to the Vanier Cup. He has a chance to do something that has never been done before - win both a Grey Cup and Vanier Cup as head coach - and yet the guy still gets so little respect from many fans.

Hopefully the Als get to the Grey Cup as well next week and Canadian football will be the talk of Montreal next weekend.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Madani is no Rod Smith to be sure. Anyway, congrats to Danny Maciocia on getting his team to the Vanier Cup. He has a chance to do something that has never been done before - win both a Grey Cup and Vanier Cup as head coach - and yet the guy still gets so little respect from many fans.

Hopefully the Als get to the Grey Cup as well next week and Canadian football will be the talk of Montreal next weekend.
    Watching Mac/Mt A - can\t see either being close to beating Montreal - both teams have solid Ds but are mediocre on offence = huge difference in the QBing in the 2 semis - the 1st game featured 2 outstanding QBs, the 2nd 2 weak to iffy QBs. Montreal have an even stronger D than those 2 and a wayyyyyyyyyyyy better offence.

SO - the Garden Gnome may be able to pull a Canadian football first - = HC of both a Vanier & GC winning team.

Not pulling for the Als though (but can\t stand either of the ultra mediocre East final 2 this year - what a brutal year in the East that either of those 2 are going to get to go to the GC) - the Pussycats win at home and then get to go to the GC to get slaughtered by either of Calgary or Edmonton (bet on the Stumps !)

Looking forward to very good GC & Vanier games, but i fear blow-outs in both - hope not though,

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Well, I got to watch half of the Carabins/Bisons game .... and then went to the Marauders/Mounties game.

The Carbins/Bisons game was very good CIS football. That was a fun first half of offensive drive on both teams. As usual, the second half was a different game, with more defence. Both these teams are strong and talented in many aspects of the game. Coombs played on a good team.

The Mitchell bowl on the other hand, appeared to be a defensive battle.... but I think it was more that both offensive groups couldn't execute. But thats football too. (we definitely found that this year in the East CFL division) I was amazed that Mac had control of the ball for 41 minutes of the game. Their QB does not have a strong arm (requires surgery?) but uses the running game , short passes and the occasional long bomb (where everyone holds their breath) to get the job done. MAcs defence and special teams are both very good and play an important role in providing good field position if not points.

Next Sat, Mac will be in tough against the Carabin. Personally, I think the Montreal team will overpower Mac, as long as they stay focused ..... this is their first time to the big dance..... Mac, with their experience will hang in there though. I will be cheering for Mac .... my alma mater ..... but think Montreal will win. Which I don't mind either .... for their first Vanier ever .... and to represent the Q. Many feel the RESQ are a weak league because of Laval .... but in reality it is a strong league as everyone needs to step up to the challenge . The Rouge et Or have definitely raised the bar.... if only the English Canadian sports audience knew. (only 3800 of possible 5200 showed up for the Mac game ..... so much for any promo .... guess we just don't like our own) The Quebecois know their football, and their numbers show it at the stands and the TV count. ....maybe moreso for CIS than the CFL.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Congrats to "good ole boy" Danny Maciocia on becoming the first head coach ever to win both a Grey Cup and Vanier Cup! He got the better of Stefan Ptaszek today as Montreal defeated McMaster in a nailbiter 20-19. Montreal blocked a last minute field goal and then converted a third and short in their own territory with only 23 seconds left to seal the win.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Excellent Vanier game! 22500 at the game ( or thereabouts) Lots of fun, and some good football to boot! I hope some of you got to watch the game. Good for CIS football.

One thought ..... If the CFL moves up the season 2 weeks, the CIS will be left on their own ..... Forever. I can't see the universities moving up their seasons by 2 weeks.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Very good football game that Vanier = 2 solid well coached teams and I liked the diversity on offence. Congrats to Danny M becoming the 1st HC to win both the GC and the Vanier - that Carabins team has a lot of talent.