Thread: CIS Playoffs

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    http://globalnews.ca/news/2202958/ca...ing-to-global/

I just found this. So Global should be covering the west this Sat. I'm not sure if we would have gotten any of the regular season games as I just fluked upon the UBC and Manitoba game last Sat. I never watch Global.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 153
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    http://globalnews.ca/news/2202958/ca...ing-to-global/

I just found this. So Global should be covering the west this Sat. I'm not sure if we would have gotten any of the regular season games as I just fluked upon the UBC and Manitoba game last Sat. I never watch Global.
    Quote Originally Posted by argofandave View Post
    I just noticed that Global is showing the Manitoba vs. UBC game this Saturday starting at 3pm. This gives me some Canadian football to watch since TSN4 is not showing the Hamilton at Ottawa CFL game.
    Is this your way of telling me that you don't read my posts?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    The Yates Cup game starts at 1pm on Saturday on CHCHtv and they reported during their sports report that there would be a half hour pre-game show although their schedule on their website doesn't show it unless the pre-game show starts at 1pm and the kickoff is at 1:30pm. The Hardy Cup game starts at 2pm on Global but the Cogeco TV listings shows this as an NCAA game.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofandave View Post
    The Yates Cup game starts at 1pm on Saturday on CHCHtv and they reported during their sports report that there would be a half hour pre-game show although their schedule on their website doesn't show it unless the pre-game show starts at 1pm and the kickoff is at 1:30pm. The Hardy Cup game starts at 2pm on Global but the Cogeco TV listings shows this as an NCAA game.
    On short notice, those automated TV guides with the digital box do have errors. Global never shows NCAA football as TSN has all the rights for those games. I bet they just told someone at Cogeco that Global is showing college football, so they just updated it as NCAA football without checking for facts. Rogers had it as CIS football on their guide.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Gill The Thrill View Post
    On short notice, those automated TV guides with the digital box do have errors. Global never shows NCAA football as TSN has all the rights for those games. I bet they just told someone at Cogeco that Global is showing college football, so they just updated it as NCAA football without checking for facts. Rogers had it as CIS football on their guide.
    Cogeco has changed it to CIS football...Bubba O'Neil confirmed on Sportsline last night that he would host a Yates Cup pre-game show starting at 12:30pm but CHCH is showing an infomercial instead...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Sure is great to listen to Mark Lee again....he and Justin Dunk work well together. Great to see CIS Football again.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Sure is great to listen to Mark Lee again....he and Justin Dunk work well together. Great to see CIS Football again.
    Agreed.
    As suggested by someone earlier in this thread, Lee should be hired by TSN for their CFL broadcasts.

Quite the defensive battle in the Yates Cup game.
    Western needs a field goal kicker badly!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Switched over to the Hardy Cup in Calgary...looks like a better game...will be watching how Sean McEwen plays.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Switched over to the Hardy Cup in Calgary...looks like a better game...will be watching how Sean McEwen plays.
    Both QB's look quite good in that game. I had no idea Blake Nill left Calgary and went to UBC. Either he is a great coach/recruiter, or something is fishy about his recruiting. I noticed a few Ontario boys playing quite well for that team. I find it hard to believe an Ontario boy dreams of playing post secondary ball at UBC. When he coached at St. Mary's, that team was loaded with GTA talent, and then QB EriK Glavic transfers from St.Mary's to Calgary when he was there.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Both QB's look quite good in that game. I had no idea Blake Nill left Calgary and went to UBC. Either he is a great coach/recruiter, or something is fishy about his recruiting. I noticed a few Ontario boys playing quite well for that team. I find it hard to believe an Ontario boy dreams of playing post secondary ball at UBC. When he coached at St. Mary's, that team was loaded with GTA talent, and then QB EriK Glavic transfers from St.Mary's to Calgary when he was there.
    Yes, this is Nills first year out west.....went back to the Yates Cup, that Augustine kid for Guelph is having a great game on the ground against a highly rated Western team. Looks like some good talent available again in next year's draft.

Also noticed Neil Lumsden on Guelph coaching staff and Steve Buratto followed Nill to UBC as OC.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Yes, this is Nills first year out west.....went back to the Yates Cup, that Augustine kid for Guelph is having a great game on the ground against a highly rated Western team. Looks like some good talent available again in next year's draft.

Also noticed Neil Lumsden on Guelph coaching staff and Steve Buratto followed Nill to UBC as OC.
    Steve Burratto never ages. He looks the same today as he did 30+ years ago.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Sweet!
    Guelph beat those smug bastards at Western!

Oops. Did I post that out loud?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyDragon View Post
    Sweet!
    Guelph beat those smug bastards at Western!

Oops. Did I post that out loud?
    Lol, ha, ha, gotta admit I felt the same way yesterday afternoon as well. Western has a good football program but I thought the dominance was too pronounced because of how bad the lower seeded teams were in the OUA. Both QB's were better in the Hardy Cup but once Guelph made it 14-10, I stuck with the Yates Cup from then on. Great finish, 2 tough defenses especially Guelph's. When I turned back to the Hardy Cup at the end of the Yates Cup broadcast, there were 3 minutes left, and hardly any scoring since I had left it in the 2nd quarter with UBC leading 25-18. Second half scoring was 9-8 for UBC, so it wasn't as action packed in terms of scoring as it was in the first half.

By the way, Andrew Buckley and Michael O'Connor are as good as several CFL QB's now. I know the defenses are quicker in pro football, but their arms are just as good as many guys on TV playing in the NCAA 1A. O'Connor has good speed and he is just 20 years old. Buckley has an arm himself. Both would get spots on CFL rosters for sure if the QB position was part of the ratio. It's ridiculous that it is not, even so they still should, that's how good they are and more importantly can be.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    I feel the same about that Guelph win. We used to always call Western the Rich Kids School. Sad to see Calgary crap away another big game.

Buckley looks so good. This kid should have a shot. He looked solid in preseason with the Stamps. Both Buckley and O'Connor can scamper when needed as well.

Calgary seems to turn the ball over left and right in big games. We cheer for them as my wife is from Calgary and she's had many family members attend U of C.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 195
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Nice to see CIS football on Global and CHCH where it belongs.... Would be nice somehow if the Vanier cup could be back in Toronto next year with the Grey Cup...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgofanIan View Post
    Nice to see CIS football on Global and CHCH where it belongs.... Would be nice somehow if the Vanier cup could be back in Toronto next year with the Grey Cup...
    I agree ...... Wonder if the new owners are on the ball enough to put together a proposal to the CIS ........ hint hint if you're reading new ownership

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argocister View Post
    I agree ...... Wonder if the new owners are on the ball enough to put together a proposal to the CIS ........ hint hint if you're reading new ownership
    I think that it would be a natural thing to pair the two events - Vanier and Grey - next year but we shall see soon enough.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Gill The Thrill View Post
    Lol, ha, ha, gotta admit I felt the same way yesterday afternoon as well. Western has a good football program but I thought the dominance was too pronounced because of how bad the lower seeded teams were in the OUA. Both QB's were better in the Hardy Cup but once Guelph made it 14-10, I stuck with the Yates Cup from then on. Great finish, 2 tough defenses especially Guelph's. When I turned back to the Hardy Cup at the end of the Yates Cup broadcast, there were 3 minutes left, and hardly any scoring since I had left it in the 2nd quarter with UBC leading 25-18. Second half scoring was 9-8 for UBC, so it wasn't as action packed in terms of scoring as it was in the first half.

By the way, Andrew Buckley and Michael O'Connor are as good as several CFL QB's now. I know the defenses are quicker in pro football, but their arms are just as good as many guys on TV playing in the NCAA 1A. O'Connor has good speed and he is just 20 years old. Buckley has an arm himself. Both would get spots on CFL rosters for sure if the QB position was part of the ratio. It's ridiculous that it is not, even so they still should, that's how good they are and more importantly can be.
    Yeah - agreed on Buckley & O'Connor - both could easily beat out some of the 3rd string American stiffs who get handed CFL roster spots. O'Connor is young and has several years of CIS ball left - we shall see, but he looks like pro material for sure; and we'll see if Calgary brings back Buckley for another CFL look/

HOWEVER - if you've been watching CIS ball last year and Guelph vs. Montreal today - you would be seeing an IMO even better CIS QB in Cousineau for the Carabins - a very accurate, poised QB who can throw a nice deep ball too. Montreal are killing a good Guelph team today with a balanced offence and a tough D. Sad or pathetic that Cousineau has not / will not get any gob CFL interest. Carabins are a very solid, all-around team with strong O & D - props to the Garden Gnome as HC

A Vanier match-up of UBC/Montreal would showcase those 2 outstanding QBs and be interesting to see who would come out on top - with a rookie phenom vs. a vet who has already won the big game. Carabins D could be the difference though.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    HOWEVER - if you've been watching CIS ball last year and Guelph vs. Montreal today - you would be seeing an IMO even better CIS QB in Cousineau for the Carabins - a very accurate, poised QB who can throw a nice deep ball too.
    If Cousineau is so good, why did he throw more int's than TD's this year? OV, you really overrate the talent of some of these QB's strictly on your Canadian bias. His conterpart for Guelph really sucks, and I have no idea how a team with such a poor QB could have won the OUA.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    If Cousineau is so good, why did he throw more int's than TD's this year? OV, you really overrate the talent of some of these QB's strictly on your Canadian bias. His conterpart for Guelph really sucks, and I have no idea how a team with such a poor QB could have won the OUA.

Nice cherry picking of one stat on one season pal; obviously you don\t pay much attention too / have little respect for CIS ball and talent.

Just FYI though - Cousineau's last 2 years of CIS passing stats are off the charts outstanding in terms of QB completion % and he has had won a national title and taken his team to a 2nd chance there; plus he throws a beautiful deep ball mostly and has outstanding accuracy and poise + he can move in the pocket and run when he picks his spots smartly; but this would take some actual watching of football to notice, and not your typcial, predictable writing off of Canadian / CIS QBs like your gob heroes do. And sorry - your assessment of Roberts is way off; he was very good in beating Carleton and a tough Western D in the play-offs but he faced a very good D today; you are obviously pre-disposed to belive Canadian QBs "suck" for some (gob) reason.
    Last edited by OV Argo; 11-21-2015 at 04:27 PM.