Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Still kind of makes the league look bad, if they can't keep their website up to date for their fans.
    It would be nice if these sorts of things were updated promptly and if cfl.ca wasn't so 2010-ish in design, but the league probably does have more important priorities.

So, Angelo. If you had to choose between signing Jason Barnes, Bakari Grant, Aaron Kelly, or just reserving the cash to spend on a new receiver recruit, what would you do? IMHO, with the departures of Chiles and Watt and the age of both Owens and Durie, we *need* a good vet for the receiving corps and I'd sign one of them (Grant>Barnes>Kelly) ASAP.

Boatman
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 104
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks doubleblue & ArgoRavi!
    Support CFL league & team sponsors by buying their stuff!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Between the lousy job of promoting the Argos and the lack of recruiting, I am deeply worried about the upcoming season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    It would be nice if these sorts of things were updated promptly and if cfl.ca wasn't so 2010-ish in design, but the league probably does have more important priorities.

So, Angelo. If you had to choose between signing Jason Barnes, Bakari Grant, Aaron Kelly, or just reserving the cash to spend on a new receiver recruit, what would you do? IMHO, with the departures of Chiles and Watt and the age of both Owens and Durie, we *need* a good vet for the receiving corps and I'd sign one of them (Grant>Barnes>Kelly) ASAP.
    I think I'd go for Bakari Grant of the 3, but would have no issues with Barnes returning. Like many others he was hurt last season, so very difficult to judge him based on last year.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrym
    Between the lousy job of promoting the Argos and the lack of recruiting, I am deeply worried about the upcoming season.
    You and me both. I've have been upset since the 2nd home game in 2014 vs Calgary. IMO, there were no more than 10,000 people in the stands that game. I used to blame wannabe American Torontonians for the lack of fan support the Argos get, but how can you blame the public when the ownership doesn't appear to give a damn?
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level

Imperative that they sign 1 if not 2 of the the vets you listed, I would go Grant and Kelly, based on last season you have to plan on some injuries happening, Owens and Durie aren't getting any younger.

Achievements:

Level
    I think I'd go for Bakari Grant of the 3, but would have no issues with Barnes returning. Like many others he was hurt last season, so very difficult to judge him based on last year.
    I'm a bit surprised that nothing has happened yet. The early FA signing flurry is over, and none of those guys have any NFL prospects.

Well... we're still a long way from playing football, admittedly, so I can understand why Barker might be standing firm on his offer(s).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I'm a bit surprised that nothing has happened yet. The early FA signing flurry is over, and none of those guys have any NFL prospects.

Well... we're still a long way from playing football, admittedly, so I can understand why Barker might be standing firm on his offer(s).
    I honestly can't help but wonder if Barker's FA philosophy is real, or if he's just playing with such a small operating budget, that he really can't go out and spend on free agents. It wouldn't surprise me if he's just playing nice, and not trying to throw the owner under the bus.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    The first few days produced some outlandishly high salaries, if we can believe reports. At this point I'm sure the unsigned guys are hoping for more of the same. Teams are no doubt waiting for prices to drop, and they will the longer this goes on.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I honestly can't help but wonder if Barker's FA philosophy is real, or if he's just playing with such a small operating budget, that he really can't go out and spend on free agents. It wouldn't surprise me if he's just playing nice, and not trying to throw the owner under the bus.
    Barker seems like a man with integrity Angelo, if what you ponder is true (anything is possible) he won't be here long term as this teams shortcomings on the field ultimately fall on the shoulders of the General Manager and could affect his future employment elsewhere.

Achievements:

Level
    The salary cap increased by $0.5M for 2015, didn't it? At this point I thought that the "big spenders" had shown their hands and that reality would have set in for everyone.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    I find that the same thing happens every year now - we see a flurry of free agent signings over the first couple of days and then it slows to a crawl after that. If a free agent hasn't signed by this point, their raise is likely to be minimal.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    The salary cap increased by $0.5M for 2015, didn't it? At this point I thought that the "big spenders" had shown their hands and that reality would have set in for everyone.
    The reason for my questioning what operating budget Barker has, is that the league only announces amounts if a team goes over the cap. They don't mention how much cap room each team had at season's end. I honestly think the Argos had 5 big ticket players on the roster in '14. My guess is they came in well under the cap.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The reason for my questioning what operating budget Barker has, is that the league only announces amounts if a team goes over the cap. They don't mention how much cap room each team had at season's end. I honestly think the Argos had 5 big ticket players on the roster in '14. My guess is they came in well under the cap.
    That would be my guess too.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    The maximum salary cap increases by $50,000 to $5,050,000 for 2015.

The minimum salary cap also increases $50,000 to $4,450,000 for 2015. (The minimum cap has increased $450,000 since 2014.) I assume teams would be fined or lose draft picks if they spend below the minimum salary threshold.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Isn't Ricky Ray the highest paid player in the CFL?

IIRC there was a Tweet that he got a raise last season due to a clause in his contact related to an increase in the salary cap.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    Isn't Ricky Ray the highest paid player in the CFL?

IIRC there was a Tweet that he got a raise last season due to a clause in his contact related to an increase in the salary cap.
    Ray may be the highest paid player in the league but that doesn't mean that the Argos aren't spending closer to the floor than the ceiling. There have been reports that the Argos are spending less on coaching than the rest of the league so it would not be shocking if Braley has provided Barker with a smaller budget to work with regarding players too.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Don
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Barker hasn't been particularly active in free agency since he took over though. I remember in the 2010-2011 off-season where everyone was upset that Barker's only significant pick-up was Wes Lysack. Most of the notable players that have been acquired by the Argonauts since 2010 have been through trades. Perhaps the operating budget has been that low since Braley took over the team.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Ray may be the highest paid player in the league but that doesn't mean that the Argos aren't spending closer to the floor than the ceiling. There have been reports that the Argos are spending less on coaching than the rest of the league so it would not be shocking if Braley has provided Barker with a smaller budget to work with regarding players too.
    Okay but Ray isn't our only highly paid player, what about Owens & Durie? Also you're speculating that we're not paying a lot on coaching (which doesn't count against the salary cap) and speculating that therefore we're not paying a lot on players. I don't see anything that would lead me to believe that the Argonauts aren't spending well above the minimum salary floor.

Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    Barker hasn't been particularly active in free agency since he took over though. I remember in the 2010-2011 off-season where everyone was upset that Barker's only significant pick-up was Wes Lysack. Most of the notable players that have been acquired by the Argonauts since 2010 have been through trades. Perhaps the operating budget has been that low since Braley took over the team.
    Shea Emry?

Don
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Shea Emry is an example of one player over the course of 5 or 6 years.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    Shea Emry is an example of one player over the course of 5 or 6 years.
    Diontae Spencer?
    Cory Greenwood? (I guess he's not really a free agent though)