Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level

2014-2015 Off-Season Player Movement Thread

The Argos have announced their first signing of the off-season: http://argonauts.ca/article/argos-si...mpaign=twitter

Does anyone who watches the NFL more than I do know much about Mike Thomas?
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 462
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    The Argos have announced their first signing of the off-season: http://argonauts.ca/article/argos-si...mpaign=twitter

Does anyone who watches the NFL more than I do know much about Mike Thomas?
    Well...his bio states his dad is a real estate agent....what more would you like to know Ravi???
    Last edited by gilthethrill; 11-22-2014 at 09:56 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    5'8 195. We have enough guys like that. But if he is a good punt returner I guess there would be a spot for him to back up Owens.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    That's a very early signing. Last season we didn't bring in any new guys until January 8th (Butler and Ware).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Signed primarily as a return candidate is my guess.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Thomas had some pretty good numbers his first two years with the Jags in 09 and 10. Kind of leveled off since, but at 28 maybe he has a bit left in the tank. Should have made some decent money and have a NFL pension in his pocket. Now he can play for fun. 50-60,000 isn't too bad for 6 months work if you enjoy what you're doing.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Thomas had some pretty good numbers his first two years with the Jags in 09 and 10. Kind of leveled off since, but at 28 maybe he has a bit left in the tank. Should have made some decent money and have a NFL pension in his pocket. Now he can play for fun. 50-60,000 isn't too bad for 6 months work if you enjoy what you're doing.
    I'd be very surprised if Barker is looking for much from Thomas, other than to give him a chance get it all back together. He set a PAC10 receiving record with Arizona, but slipped to the 4th round in the 2009 NFL draft because he is only 5'8". He looked good for 2 years with Jacksonville, but his performance slipped badly the next 2 years, and then was traded to Detroit in 2012. He hasn't played a game since, although he was later signed with Arizona and Houston. His future is in his hands.
    One oar still in the water !

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    The Argos have re-signed two rookies from this past season who ended the year on the practice roster: http://www.argonauts.ca/article/argo...-dhillon-black
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Gap-Willie View Post
    I'd be very surprised if Barker is looking for much from Thomas, other than to give him a chance get it all back together. He set a PAC10 receiving record with Arizona, but slipped to the 4th round in the 2009 NFL draft because he is only 5'8". He looked good for 2 years with Jacksonville, but his performance slipped badly the next 2 years, and then was traded to Detroit in 2012. He hasn't played a game since, although he was later signed with Arizona and Houston. His future is in his hands.
    Yeah - this guy has an impressive NFL resume - 48 catches + 12 end around carries for 80 + yards as a rookie for the Jags and then leads them in both catches and receiving yards, plus a punt return TD in his 2nd season = outstanding (though the Jags have been weak at receiver for a long time so he got his chances there); he obviously has some serious receiving & running skills = COULD be a great signing IF he is still in shape & serious about playing in the CFL. Might he be both an Argo receiver and returner - 3 smaller, speedy, YAC type receivers (joining Owens & Durie) in the 5 pack is quite feasable IMO - just supplement them with a couple of big body, sure handed receivers (or at least one real big guy - Chiles or Watt could man one of the wide-out spots and maybe Thomas the other). LOTS of competition for TC is a good thing.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    The Argos have re-signed two rookies from this past season who ended the year on the practice roster: http://www.argonauts.ca/article/argo...-dhillon-black
    When I saw these two guys up close last TC I thought they would be one and done. Eric Black looked so skinny (listed at 6'1 170) and Dhillon had the skinniest legs for a 290 pounder. But you never know till they get on the field. If Eric could but on ten pounds of muscle he could turn out to be able to play one corner with his brother. Barker says Matt Black is good enough to play the corner but you have to be two deep for a ratio spot. Maybe Eric can be that guy.
    Dhillon looked ok in the one on one drills so maybe he surprises as well. The Argos could be looking to grab one of the top rated Linemen in the upcoming draft because I don't get the impression they are that high on Sewell and Scott Mitchell long term. I was hoping the would give Sewell some time at right guard, but except for the time they threw him to the wolves against John Chick I don't think he ever saw the field. Same for Mitchell.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    The Argos could be looking to grab one of the top rated Linemen in the upcoming draft because I don't get the impression they are that high on Sewell and Scott Mitchell long term. I was hoping the would give Sewell some time at right guard, but except for the time they threw him to the wolves against John Chick I don't think he ever saw the field. Same for Mitchell.
    Hope you're wrong but I'm afraid you may be on to something. I think they need to give Sewell, at least, one more full year in the system before declaring him a bust. You can't teach that kind of size but he sure did look lost on the rare occasion when he was in the lineup.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Hope you're wrong but I'm afraid you may be on to something. I think they need to give Sewell, at least, one more full year in the system before declaring him a bust. You can't teach that kind of size but he sure did look lost on the rare occasion when he was in the lineup.
    This is where position coaches earn their stripes, judging by some of the O-Line play in 2014 vs 2013 there was a drop off from McAdoo to Chiu.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:

Level
    When I saw these two guys up close last TC I thought they would be one and done. Eric Black looked so skinny (listed at 6'1 170) and Dhillon had the skinniest legs for a 290 pounder. But you never know till they get on the field. If Eric could but on ten pounds of muscle he could turn out to be able to play one corner with his brother. Barker says Matt Black is good enough to play the corner but you have to be two deep for a ratio spot. Maybe Eric can be that guy.
    Dhillon looked ok in the one on one drills so maybe he surprises as well. The Argos could be looking to grab one of the top rated Linemen in the upcoming draft because I don't get the impression they are that high on Sewell and Scott Mitchell long term. I was hoping the would give Sewell some time at right guard, but except for the time they threw him to the wolves against John Chick I don't think he ever saw the field. Same for Mitchell.
    Sewell might progress into a very good CFL O-Lineman yet - the criticism for getting beat a lot by Chick in one game was over the top but to be expected - Chick has embarassed all kinds of OTs in the league including numerous imports, but Sewell draws the negatives because of his birth certificate - give him a real shot at OT and he might pan out just fine; and Mitchell is still an unknown basically who could still pan out as well; and if Dhillon has shown enough to get invited back, i see little to zero reason to spend any type of first few rounds draft pick on another O-lineman, but it is CFL " thinking" we're talking here ... = neither of the Blacks are going to get a real shot to play cornerback - should have been Matt getting a shot there this season, with his experience and some skills he has shown thus far, but, wrong birth certificate there - and no, you don\t need to be '2 deep" for any Canadian to get to play - they just need a chance and have to play well - that\s a shop worn big-time CFL cliche. Black could start at corner and be backed up by another NI or an import = simple as that.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    and no, you don\t need to be '2 deep" for any Canadian to get to play - they just need a chance and have to play well - that\s a shop worn big-time CFL cliche. Black could start at corner and be backed up by another NI or an import = simple as that.
    I agree with you here. If Black is better or as good as the starter at that postion, he should be starting. IMO, he's better than Courtney Stephan, who starts for the Cats, despite the fact that he doesn't have a Candian to back him up. If the team starts more than 7 Canadians, there is not a need to be 2 Canadians deep at the position.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level

New signing DE Ridge Wilson

I am all for giving people second chances and I guess the Argos do as well. New signing LB/DE Ridge Wilson 6'3 240 Kentucky Wildcats was arrested in his Freshman year for punching a woman in the face and arrested again going into his Senior year for drug trafficking. That time he was dismissed from the Kentucky football team.
    Hope he has reformed.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Sure people make mistakes but looking at these 2 charges I would stay clear of this guy, I guess they couldn't find a decent prospect without the rap sheet??

Don
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Who names their kid Ridge?
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Boatman
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points
    Level
    Doesn't sound like a quality person but who knows on the field. Signing now doesn't mean he makes the team 6.5 months from now.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    Who names their kid Ridge?
    I think that there has been a long-time character on The Bold and Beautiful named Ridge so maybe that is where the name came from.

Did anyone notice who Wilson's head coach at Kentucky was? It was former Argo receiver Joker Phillips who is best remembered for having a pass bounce off his helmet late in the 1986 season.

BTW, here are all of the transactions which took place on Friday including the re-signing of LB Nick Rosamonda: http://www.argonauts.ca/article/argo...nda-qb-kilgore

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 462
    Achievements:

Level
    I think that there has been a long-time character on The Bold and Beautiful named Ridge so maybe that is where the name came from.

Did anyone notice who Wilson's head coach at Kentucky was? It was former Argo receiver Joker Phillips who is best remembered for having a pass bounce off his helmet late in the 1986 season.

BTW, here are all of the transactions which took place on Friday including the re-signing of LB Nick Rosamonda: http://www.argonauts.ca/article/argo...nda-qb-kilgore
    Rosamonda came out of no where last season & showed a lot of grit & ability to make a play. Good to see Barker at work, which is a good sign for this organization.