Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 292
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    #Argos have announced the signing of international WR Vidal Hazelton. #CFL pic.twitter.com/FxLX2RtPGx
    — Toronto Argonauts (@TorontoArgos) March 18, 2015
    I gather Hazelton impressed at a camp held over the weekend in California. His college stats are underwhelming at best, yet he got a few chances in the NFL.

Found this interesting story on Hazelton...

http://turnonthejets.com/2013/06/new...idal-hazelton/
    Last edited by gilthethrill; 03-19-2015 at 11:15 AM.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    It's going to be tough for him, having played so little since 2007. It'll be a great comeback story if he can make the team and contribute even a little.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Here's an update on the Argos and other teams around the league in terms of the draft, injuries and signings.

http://www.cfl.ca/article/checking-d...gency-and-more

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 292
    Achievements:

Level
    Lost in all the recent move to BMO rumblings the last couple days is that the Argos signed a Bruce....as in International OT Bruce Campbell....

Achievements:

Level
    Although Oakland converted him to a guard, Campbell was a LT in college and I assume that's where we'll give him a shot. More competition = good.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    Although Oakland converted him to a guard, Campbell was a LT in college and I assume that's where we'll give him a shot. More competition = good.
    Several years kicking around NFL rosters = hopefully he learned lots, AND can pick-up the CFL game well; I`ll bet he lines up at OT too - maybe a replacement for Rodgers?; maybe both him and King start at OT (Van Zeyl slides to guard) ? Or maybe Campbell doesn`t cut it and gets cut in TC ?

Justin Dunk predicting the Argos will draft an OT in Jacob Ruby ? - wouldn`t surprise me at all, but I hope not if he is just viewed as a long-term OT project (like Sewell) cause they are going to favor playing import OTs - don`t want a back-up project with a 1st rounder (we shall see how much Coombs plays this year if both he and Durie stay healthy) - get an impact player who can hopefully contribute right away with the 1st round pick please.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Several years kicking around NFL rosters = hopefully he learned lots, AND can pick-up the CFL game well; I`ll bet he lines up at OT too - maybe a replacement for Rodgers?; maybe both him and King start at OT (Van Zeyl slides to guard) ? Or maybe Campbell doesn`t cut it and gets cut in TC ?

Justin Dunk predicting the Argos will draft an OT in Jacob Ruby ? - wouldn`t surprise me at all, but I hope not if he is just viewed as a long-term OT project (like Sewell) cause they are going to favor playing import OTs - don`t want a back-up project with a 1st rounder (we shall see how much Coombs plays this year if both he and Durie stay healthy) - get an impact player who can hopefully contribute right away with the 1st round pick please.
    That's a good point. As long as Ricky Ray is the QB you don't want to fool around with rookie Tackles. But they do need some depth and maybe Sewell didn't impress all that much last year. Otherwise why wouldn't they take a Guard to replace Smith. I like the Calgary Guard Sukh Chung and he is rated higher than Ruby. But I expect the GM's will do a lot of double talk leading up to the draft trying to throw off their counter parts on who they are going to draft.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    But they do need some depth and maybe Sewell didn't impress all that much last year.
    I don't think there is any "maybe" about it. The two games he played regularly, he got eaten alive. He barely got on the field otherwise, not even in rotation or on special teams. I still believe there's an excellent chance he will develop into a starter but his career started slower than we would have hoped. Of course he had hardly played the previous season in college, either, because of injury.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    I gather Hazelton impressed at a camp held over the weekend in California. His college stats are underwhelming at best, yet he got a few chances in the NFL.

Found this interesting story on Hazelton...

http://turnonthejets.com/2013/06/new...idal-hazelton/
    High-level CFL SLOTBACK potential.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Here's an interesting signing if it happens .....

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl...ian-westerman/

i haven't looked closely lately at our roster, but how many linebackers should we sign?

Achievements:

Level
    Westerman would probably play DE for us.

Nice call, Doubleblue!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    Westerman would probably play DE for us.

Nice call, Doubleblue!
    Yeah - nice call by doubleblue if the signing happens; have to think the guy with NFL experience is going to command or want decent to big CFL buck$ to sign though? Westerman would definitely be a DE only in the CFL IMO. Maybe the Argos could go with 2 NI DEs in him and Foley - that would boggle some CFL good ole boy minds; Okpo was a force at DE last year - doubt he gets cut; but i guess a trio of him + Foley & Westerman in a DE rotation would be pretty nice to have, on paper anyways.

Foley & Westerman at DE; Laing (backed by a draft pick) at a DT spot; Greenwood at MLB; Gabriel at safety; Matt Black gets a shot to play corner = 6 NI starters on D = just mind boggling / LOL.

Achievements:

Level
    I'd say it was a nice call just to make the suggestion before anyone else considered it; if we sign him, I would upgrade the "nice call" to a high five!

As you pointed out, OV, it's not totally clear how he'd fit on the roster. It would be a shame if any of those three guys had to come off the field regularly; perhaps if Westerman sometimes lined up at tackle, and we used him at LB in 3-4 (and used that formation a bit more often) we could get our money's worth.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Yeah - nice call by doubleblue if the signing happens; have to think the guy with NFL experience is going to command or want decent to big CFL buck$ to sign though? Westerman would definitely be a DE only in the CFL IMO. Maybe the Argos could go with 2 NI DEs in him and Foley - that would boggle some CFL good ole boy minds; Okpo was a force at DE last year - doubt he gets cut; but i guess a trio of him + Foley & Westerman in a DE rotation would be pretty nice to have, on paper anyways.

Foley & Westerman at DE; Laing (backed by a draft pick) at a DT spot; Greenwood at MLB; Gabriel at safety; Matt Black gets a shot to play corner = 6 NI starters on D = just mind boggling / LOL.
    Don't worry OV, the other 6 (American) D guys will show them Canucks where to line up before the snap.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level

Hold the applause until he is signed. Remember how Austin Collie was "signed" by the Montreal and turned up in BC. Westerman's brother plays for the Lions, so that could be a factor.
    I am hoping OV that the Argos can nab big DT Mendi Abdesmad 6'7 297 out of Boston in a second or third round. He's recovering from an early 2014 season injury and might not be ready to start the season, but would be worth waiting for IMO. But I have also heard he might be granted another year at Boston because of the injury.
    I would not be surprised if there are a few more players like this kid out of Michigan State, Matt Rea, that remember that they have Canadian roots and let it be known to the CFL clubs. Maybe even a few who have had NFL tryouts and would now be Free Agents like Westerman. Lets see, we need a Right Guard about 6'3 295 and maybe a big 6'3 220 WR for a start with a couple of NFL camp experiences.
    Last edited by doubleblue; 03-28-2015 at 06:01 PM. Reason: spelling

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Hold the applause until he is signed. Remember how Austin Collie was "signed" by the Montreal and turned up in BC. Westerman's brother plays for the Lions, so that could be a factor.
    I am hoping OV that the Argos can nab big DT Mendi Abdesmad 6'7 297 out of Boston in a second or third round. He's recovering from an early 2014 season injury and might not be ready to start the season, but would be worth waiting for IMO. But I have also heard he might be granted another year at Boston because of the injury.
    I would not be surprised if there are a few more players like this kid out of Michigan State, Matt Rea, that remember that they have Canadian roots and let it be known to the CFL clubs. Maybe even a few who have had NFL tryouts and would now be Free Agents like Westerman. Lets see, we need a Right Guard about 6'3 295 and maybe a big 6'3 220 WR for a start with a couple of NFL camp experiences.

I think you may be expecting a lot or dreaming a bit to think there are all of a sudden a bunch of new "nationals" for the CFL floating around out there; Westerman and Collie are a couple; another would be O-lineman John Urschel - born in Winnipeg, played US college ball ... but problem is, he was drafted by the Ravens and ended up playing and impressing a lot as a rookie = he might be that guard you would be looking for, but he ain't coming to the CFL anytime soon ... maybe in a few years if he burns up NFL looks (like Westerman)?

And meanwhile - this CFL draft is IMO both deep & talented. A team that has held on to all it's draft picks (but maybe added some in trades) AND is sharp in the scouting department can possibly make some serious improvements this draft - Argos maybe coulda added a top notch receiver, a DT who could play some right away + an O-line prospect, IF they had 3 picks in the first 3 rounds. Lemar Durant is one of those big receivers (6-2,230) - a Ray Elgaard size target, but with good speed and explosive strength/athleticism (as confirmed with his testing #s).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    I think you may be expecting a lot or dreaming a bit to think there are all of a sudden a bunch of new "nationals" for the CFL floating around out there; Westerman and Collie are a couple; another would be O-lineman John Urschel - born in Winnipeg, played US college ball ... but problem is, he was drafted by the Ravens and ended up playing and impressing a lot as a rookie = he might be that guard you would be looking for, but he ain't coming to the CFL anytime soon ... maybe in a few years if he burns up NFL looks (like Westerman)?

And meanwhile - this CFL draft is IMO both deep & talented. A team that has held on to all it's draft picks (but maybe added some in trades) AND is sharp in the scouting department can possibly make some serious improvements this draft - Argos maybe coulda added a top notch receiver, a DT who could play some right away + an O-line prospect, IF they had 3 picks in the first 3 rounds. Lemar Durant is one of those big receivers (6-2,230) - a Ray Elgaard size target, but with good speed and explosive strength/athleticism (as confirmed with his testing #s).
    OV, from what I am seeing, the Argos have three picks over the first three rounds: http://cfl.ca/article/2015-cfl-draft...-info-revealed
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Yeah, we have all our picks in first five, none in round 6, two in round 7.

Think we could get at least three, maybe four keepers from such a deep draft.

Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    OV, from what I am seeing, the Argos have three picks over the first three rounds: http://cfl.ca/article/2015-cfl-draft...-info-revealed
    Ah - I didn't notice that this was updated.

We gave Saskatchewan our 6th round pick for Dwight Anderson, and gained Winnipeg's 7th round pick (for Josh Portis). I had been hoping that the latter might be higher since they signed him to a new contract. Oh well.