Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    With Carter, who I thought was one of the teams better DB's, slated to become a FA next month, I gather he was released so he could sign elsewhere in the CFL or to "Pursue NFL Opportunites"?
    I believe that you are correct, Gil. BTW, the Bombers recently released Ian Wild ahead of free agency so that he could pursue NFL opportunities so the Argos aren't the only team doing this.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Stouffvillain View Post

I didn't think Carter was that outstanding that he would get a NFL tryout again. A lot better DB's in the League IMO. But he had the CFL experience and with a good surrounding cast could have been effective this season with the Argos. Shows what many players and coaches have said, there is little or no difference between may CFL and NFL players after you take away the top NFL picks. Even many of those guys never pan out.

Good signing for King. Had kind of an in and out season last year because they decided to play Van Zeyl at RT instead of RG. I thought the 2013 OLine with Rogers and King at the Tackles (Rogers-Holmes-Keeping-Van Zeyl-King) was better than the 2014 arrangement. Ratio rules in the CFL, but keeping Ricky upright takes priority IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I believe that you are correct, Gil. BTW, the Bombers recently released Ian Wild ahead of free agency so that he could pursue NFL opportunities so the Argos aren't the only team doing this.
    Thats becoming common practice across the league. We did the same thing releasing Dressler to try his luck with the Chiefs. It's a good will measure and makes the CFL look enticing to talent down south that might otherwise make another career choice after being bypassed by the NFL.

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I don't think anyone was expecting Neiko Thorpe getting an NFL tryout, let alone making the Raiders roster.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Good signing for King. Had kind of an in and out season last year because they decided to play Van Zeyl at RT instead of RG. I thought the 2013 OLine with Rogers and King at the Tackles (Rogers-Holmes-Keeping-Van Zeyl-King) was better than the 2014 arrangement. Ratio rules in the CFL, but keeping Ricky upright takes priority IMO.
    Rogers seemed to outplay King last year, surprisingly, but you may be right that King's move inside was partly responsible for that. If the Argos can start two NAT receivers (Durie and either Watt or Coombs or some newbie) and three INTs on defence (Laing, Emry and Gabriel, with Greenwood also in the mix) there's no reason they can't go with two INT o-linemen. They may have to do that anyway -- if we lose Holmes, either Sewell or Mitchell is going to have to step up into a starting role and we get a lot thinner.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Any word on the situation on re-signing Holmes? - any comments by either camp? Have to think Ottawa would be going hard after him with his roots there (Ottawa signs Holmes plus gets to draft another local guy in C Alex Mateas, to go along with last years' fine rookie Nolan MacMillan and they have one of the best young interior O-lines in the CFL and all local products),

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Rumour from couple weeks back said Holmes would try the NFL again, according to Barker.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Boatman
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points
    Level
    Jalil Carter has signed with the Minnesota Vikings. Best of luck to him. If it doesn't work out I'd love to have him back.

The #Vikings sign corner to reserve/future deal: http://t.co/Q2uZF1v5I5
    — Minnesota Vikings (@Vikings) January 15, 2015

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-...50115_38827527

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Stouffvillain View Post
    Jalil Carter has signed with the Minnesota Vikings. Best of luck to him. If it doesn't work out I'd love to have him back.

The #Vikings sign corner to reserve/future deal: http://t.co/Q2uZF1v5I5
    — Minnesota Vikings (@Vikings) January 15, 2015

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-...50115_38827527
    The numerous Vikings fans on here will be happy about this at least.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Boatman
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    To my knowledge Tyler Holmes has not worked out for any teams and the Argos are trying to get him under contract.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I'd pay big dollars to Holmes if it's necessary to keep him. Losing him would be a huge blow to our NAT depth -- unlike Emry, Gabriel and Durie, we have no NAT backup known to be capable of starting and playing at a high level at his position. The same applies to Laing.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I'd pay big dollars to Holmes if it's necessary to keep him. Losing him would be a huge blow to our NAT depth -- unlike Emry, Gabriel and Durie, we have no NAT backup known to be capable of starting and playing at a high level at his position. The same applies to Laing.
    Scott Mitchell made numerous starts at guard for the Esks a couple of years back, and is Wayne Smith still going to be around? - so it could be argued that there is as much depth there as with other NI spots; for example no proven back-up behind Durie, though Coombs played some and is highly regarded i would think; and behind Emry at MLB - no real starter experience - though Yurichuck or Greenwood (or Tonye-Tonye or Miles) could step-in.

Addressing DT - not a real strong suit and no NI depth to go with Laing - should be an area to address this draft - and makes good sense in one of the deepest / most talented CFL draft DT crops in years (or decades).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I agree we need much more NAT depth at DT. I'd make that a priority.

I'm afraid I don't see Mitchell and Smith as anything more than adequate guards, and I feel Holmes has perennial-all-star potential. I saw enough from Coombs last year to believe he would be a decent replacement for (and not much of a drop-off from) Durie if needed. Greenwood hasn't played much D yet but I am confident he could replace Emry if needed. Miles also has great potential IMO. Gabriel has Black backing him up and Herbert might also be able to move to safety. So IMO our least deep NAT positions are OG and DT, with OT to be determined based on how well Sewell develops.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level

I'm afraid I don't see Mitchell and Smith as anything more than adequate guards, and I feel Holmes has perennial-all-star potential. I saw enough from Coombs last year to believe he would be a decent replacement for (and not much of a drop-off from) Durie if needed. Greenwood hasn't played much D yet but I am confident he could replace Emry if needed. Miles also has great potential IMO. Gabriel has Black backing him up and Herbert might also be able to move to safety. So IMO our least deep NAT positions are OG and DT, with OT to be determined based on how well Sewell develops.

Argos blew it, big-time, by passing on David Menard last draft IMO - guy was a steal for BC and did nothing but impress every time i saw him play on the BC defence last season - great motor, super strong and athletic; more of a DE but is big and could play some inside at DT (Q all-star at both in CIS ball).

However, pretty well all teams miss out on good players every draft; I'd just like to see the Argos have a real strong draft year and get 3 or 4 players who make the team, are able to play on offence or defence and who become long-time Argos - to help build depth or provide top notch starter / impact players; and you can do this by addressing areas of team need and drafting players who are going to get a real shot to play or start (on O or D) and not mostly just think "NI depth" or special teamers.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level

That is pretty well it. I hope Barker goes for an offensive lineman with the first pick. Probably will depend on what happens with who signs or is drafted by the NFL. Dunk on TSN has them picking OT Jacob Ruby out of Richmond, but there is also the two Calgary guys McEwen and Suuk Chungh who I think will play early in the CFL. I don't think Mitchell will ever be a starter and Smith is near the end of his career IMO. The 2nd round should be interesting as well this year because the draft is so deep apparently. There could still be a good DLineman available with the 12th pick overall.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Argos blew it, big-time, by passing on David Menard last draft IMO - guy was a steal for BC and did nothing but impress every time i saw him play on the BC defence last season - great motor, super strong and athletic; more of a DE but is big and could play some inside at DT (Q all-star at both in CIS ball).

However, pretty well all teams miss out on good players every draft; I'd just like to see the Argos have a real strong draft year and get 3 or 4 players who make the team, are able to play on offence or defence and who become long-time Argos - to help build depth or provide top notch starter / impact players; and you can do this by addressing areas of team need and drafting players who are going to get a real shot to play or start (on O or D) and not mostly just think "NI depth" or special teamers.
    "Blew it" might be a strong term as the Argos seemed to do well in last year's draft despite not picking Menard. Did they not draft Coombs instead? It seemed like most of the Argo draft picks made their team in 2014.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    "Blew it" might be a strong term as the Argos seemed to do well in last year's draft despite not picking Menard. Did they not draft Coombs instead? It seemed like most of the Argo draft picks made their team in 2014.
    Umm - Menard did not get picked till the 4th round Ravi. I understand they valued Coombs and traded-up to get him and he seems like a good player and a fine pick; but the Argos also traded away some draft picks last year so they did not have many early picks, where they could have got Menard or some other good prospects; and they picked O-Lineman J. Dhilon ahead of Menard; we shall see if Dhilon makes the Argos and plays for them - I hope so. Menard IMO though could have been an immediate player, and in an area of need - D-Line -as a rotation guy who can play DE or DT - he was noticeably strong in some playing time for BC as a rookie.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Umm - Menard did not get picked till the 4th round Ravi. I understand they valued Coombs and traded-up to get him and he seems like a good player and a fine pick; but the Argos also traded away some draft picks last year so they did not have many early picks, where they could have got Menard or some other good prospects; and they picked O-Lineman J. Dhilon ahead of Menard; we shall see if Dhilon makes the Argos and plays for them - I hope so. Menard IMO though could have been an immediate player, and in an area of need - D-Line -as a rotation guy who can play DE or DT - he was noticeably strong in some playing time for BC as a rookie.
    Let's still see how Dhillon develops before we conclude that the Argos made a big mistake here.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    We signed Mike Davis today. He had a very good college career in Texas (200 catches, 2,753 yards and 18 TD) but wasn't drafted in 2014. He was in camp last year with the Raiders, but didn't make the team.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    We signed Mike Davis today. He had a very good college career in Texas (200 catches, 2,753 yards and 18 TD) but wasn't drafted in 2014. He was in camp last year with the Raiders, but didn't make the team.
    Interesting that Davis played in the Senior Bowl only last year. You usually don't get guys who have played in the Senior Bowl in the CFL until at least two to three years after they have played in that game.