Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    I would have to agree with Mook and OV here, the offense not only here but all over the league was terrible last season, most boring display of offensive football I've seen in a long time. I absolutely loathe hearing how last season was the "Year of the Defense, that's some spin if I've ever heard it, last season was the year of the conservative offense and penalty clean up (and by that I mean the league decided it was time to actually get plays called right and still failed, Johnson claking they weren't calling plays differently was pathetically hilarious). From my point of view pretty much the entire league (with certain exceptions) have gone to the Trestman offense, but made it more conservative. Would love to see more balanced offenses and teams actually pushing the ball instead of almost solely relying on the screen route.

I was actually hoping that with BC bringing Tedford in, we'd actually see the start of some new offensive thinking in the league, but became disappointed when Cortez was hired as the offensive co-ordinator. I don't see Milanovich changing his offensive system and even if Milo leaves after this season, I could easily see Himebauch become the HC and who knows what type of offense we'd see then.

Some pretty solid CFL defences with SOME very talented defenders out there now; however - nothing even close to a dominant CFL defence now IMO.

However CFL defences have figured out the standard, same old look, homgenous offences of today = they know what`s coming and it makes it wayyyy easier to defend. And when you have either inexperienced QBs or not so great back-ups replacing an injured starter, and you are trying to run the same old, all-pass offence it is often difficult to get things going with a QB who is just not good enough or ready to run that kind of offence.

Agree with SnowRouge in that i was hoping Tedford might bring a bit of fresh offensive thinking to the league, but then disappointing to see him go out and hire a same old good ole boy like Cortez as OC.

We`ve gone over this ground before here; i guess it is just too much to ask for one single team in a 9 team league to run an innovative or different offence - lots of ground game with different style backs; lots of vertical or deep passing game; not always 5 pack with the same slotback look waggling offside every 2nd series; real use of a fullback or real tight end; QB under centre a lot or at least some of the time. Nope - and the defenders of the good ole boy faith are going to tell us that`s just the way CFL offences just have to work now and don`t question or disagree with the expert offensive `thinkers`running things in the CFL now. ;O)

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    I really hope Milanovich and Barker or people connected to them read this and other threads on this site. I wonder if they do?... Hmmmm.....

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Whether they do or don't, i would not want decisions about recruitment, deployment or game strategy made based on the opinions of fans. We're not paid to know how to do it, and there's a reason for that. They are paid to know how to do it. We may not like their choices but I would bet if fans called the shots things would be way worse than anything we've seen from Barker et al.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mookie Fan View Post
    I really hope Milanovich and Barker or people connected to them read this and other threads on this site. I wonder if they do?... Hmmmm.....
    I doubt it, and I hope not. If the majority of us were that knowledgeable, we would be working in the industry and not talking about it on and critiquing here.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I doubt it, and I hope not. If the majority of us were that knowledgeable, we would be working in the industry and not talking about it on and critiquing here.
    I hope not as well. If they were to listen to us here, soon they would be joining us watching the games from the stands.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Perhaps it might be prudent to close down this forum so we are not subjected any further to couch potato know nothings about football daring to question the Argo/CFL football experts / gawds ?

;o)

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    I think that's premature, OV. Hopefully people will fall in line of their own accord.

Banned
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Ya, I would shut this thread down because fans actually have opinions. Too much.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Perhaps it might be prudent to close down this forum so we are not subjected any further to couch potato know nothings about football daring to question the Argo/CFL football experts / gawds ?

;o)
    ARe you kidding! This is where the fun is.... If we can't be commenting then whats the point of being fans ..... some opinions I agree with others not so much .... but as it was said, if I really knew the secrets I would have their job and not be on the sidelines ..... and I'm not a couch potatoe.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Speak for yourself Angelo, would never have cut Cleo and traded for Ray, we'd be 17 time World Champions by now!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Wow. Someone has the temerity to suggest we fans are not as smart as we think we are, and the next thing you know members are calling for the forum to be shut down because opinions are being stifled. Over-react much, folks? Btw the suggestion we would be worse off if Argo brass listened to fan suggestions was (wait for it) an opinion.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Wow. Someone has the temerity to suggest we fans are not as smart as we think we are, and the next thing you know members are calling for the forum to be shut down because opinions are being stifled. Over-react much, folks? Btw the suggestion we would be worse off if Argo brass listened to fan suggestions was (wait for it) an opinion.
    What can I say, Paul? Every time I suggest that people that make a living in this sport know more than us fans, some people seem to take it personally.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    OK - so we don\t have to go as far as shutting down the site ;o)

But i maybe need a short cut way of posting to dismiss all the silly or foolish fan opinions that dare question anything the Argos' thinkers do: from now on i'll just go with *$$ = c'mon now / not worth discussing, cause in Mr. Braley & Mr. Barker i trust.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Whether they do or don't, i would not want decisions about recruitment, deployment or game strategy made based on the opinions of fans. We're not paid to know how to do it, and there's a reason for that. They are paid to know how to do it. We may not like their choices but I would bet if fans called the shots things would be way worse than anything we've seen from Barker et al.
    Just because they are professionals and paid to do it, it doesn't mean they're always right. In fact, they are often wrong. Take the best football brains that money can buy, those in the NFL, and still between a third and a half of their draft picks turn out to be busts. It's not an exact science, and sometimes their guesses are as good as ours.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Perhaps there will be no need for this site soon. Braley wake up you old F$#@, Fool that is.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    When a team in any sport follows the express wishes of its fans and has success, I will embrace the notion that JB and SM should read this forum and act on our wishes.

I do believe the non-football personnel should read this forum and act accordingly, since fan experience is a much different beast than on-field competitiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Just because they are professionals and paid to do it, it doesn't mean they're always right. In fact, they are often wrong. Take the best football brains that money can buy, those in the NFL, and still between a third and a half of their draft picks turn out to be busts. It's not an exact science, and sometimes their guesses are as good as ours.
    Yes, team brass in every sport often get it wrong. But there is no evidence from any sport I can think of where fans (who BTW often can't agree among themselves) proved to be smarter.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    When a team in any sport follows the express wishes of its fans and has success, I will embrace the notion that JB and SM should read this forum and act on our wishes.

I do believe the non-football personnel should read this forum and act accordingly, since fan experience is a much different beast than on-field competitiveness.

Yes, team brass in every sport often get it wrong. But there is no evidence from any sport I can think of where fans (who BTW often can't agree among themselves) proved to be smarter.
    Nobody here is saying they are smarter than Barker or Milanovich. But fans have an obligation to make some noise when we think they've got it wrong, which, as you admit, they do from time to time.

Banned
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Free speech ... unless the forum "Nazis", as I've heard them called on this site, deem opinions other than theirs wrong.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Nobody here is saying they are smarter than Barker or Milanovich. But fans have an obligation to make some noise when we think they've got it wrong, which, as you admit, they do from time to time.
    And i don\t think anyone here was suggesting Barker or Millanovich should read this forum AND follow fan advice.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

Paul, regarding your final statement I would argue 95% of the general population exhibits higher intelligence than The Maple Leaf brass!!