Thread: 2014: Grey Cup

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 75
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Banks was too upset to play. Can't believe he reacted the way he did. After the game sure but with 35 seconds left... come on man.
    Yep, that's got to hurt your credibility with teammates!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Banks was too upset to play. Can't believe he reacted the way he did. After the game sure but with 35 seconds left... come on man.
    This needs to be addressed much more that I am seeing in the media at the moment. It will be interesting to see if anyone does address it in the next day or two. I feel badly for Banks but he has to keep his head in the game until the final second ticks off the clock. His speed could've made a difference in those final 35 seconds but he had already checked out of the game.

Anyway, long-time fans will remember a similar ending to the 1979 Grey Cup. The Als were trailing 17-9 late in the game when Keith Baker returned a punt for a TD which, with a 2 point convert, could have tied the game. However, Gerry Dattilio (yes, the Canadian who would be the East MOP a year later as a QB) was called for an illegal block on that play and the Als' hopes ended much like the Ticats' hopes ended today.

It should also be said that the Ticats did not lose this game on that one play. They were the worst red zone offence in the league this year and they were atrocious in that area once again tonight including late in the fourth quarter when they were 1st and goal from the Calgary 2 yard line and had to settle for a Medlock FG instead. Medlock also had another FG attempt blocked. On top of that, the Ticats started poorly once again which was another problem that they have had all season. Furthermore, Kent Austin managed the clock very poorly tonight. He failed to use a timeout late in the first half to give his team a chance to close the gap further after they had just scored a TD and had all of the momentum. Then, he didn't use a timeout until there were 30 seconds left in the game and his team was scrimmaging from their own 5 yard line. That timeout should have been used prior to Paredes' final punt. The Ticats lost 20 valuable seconds by not taking the timeout then. I know that some in the media are scared of ticking Austin off but they need to hold his feet to the fire a bit for those decisions as well as his decision to sit better receivers such as Ellingson and Koch to play an inferior receiver in Terrell Sinkfield who had a rough game tonight.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 75
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    I really think Collaros choked a bit. Jumpy feet, tunnel vision, and didn't take off and run.
    But he's young and will learn.

Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    This needs to be addressed much more that I am seeing in the media at the moment. It will be interesting to see if anyone does address it in the next day or two. I feel badly for Banks but he has to keep his head in the game until the final second ticks off the clock. His speed could've made a difference in those final 35 seconds but he had already checked out of the game.

Anyway, long-time fans will remember a similar ending to the 1979 Grey Cup. The Als were trailing 17-9 late in the game when Keith Baker returned a punt for a TD which, with a 2 point convert, could have tied the game. However, Gerry Dattilio (yes, the Canadian who would be the East MOP a year later as a QB) was called for an illegal block on that play and the Als' hopes ended much like the Ticats' hopes ended today.

It should also be said that the Ticats did not lose this game on that one play. They were the worst red zone offence in the league this year and they were atrocious in that area once again tonight including late in the fourth quarter when they were 1st and goal from the Calgary 2 yard line and had to settle for a Medlock FG instead. Medlock also had another FG attempt blocked. On top of that, the Ticats started poorly once again which was another problem that they have had all season. Furthermore, Kent Austin managed the clock very poorly tonight. He failed to use a timeout late in the first half to give his team a chance to close the gap further after they had just scored a TD and had all of the momentum. Then, he didn't use a timeout until there were 30 seconds left in the game and his team was scrimmaging from their own 5 yard line. That timeout should have been used prior to Paredes' final punt. The Ticats lost 20 valuable seconds by not taking the timeout then. I know that some in the media are scared of ticking Austin off but they need to hold his feet to the fire a bit for those decisions as well as his decision to sit better receivers such as Ellingson and Koch to play an inferior receiver in Terrell Sinkfield who had a rough game tonight.
    Ellingson was a healthy scratch? Bad move IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Antwon View Post
    I really think Collaros choked a bit. Jumpy feet, tunnel vision, and didn't take off and run.
    But he's young and will learn.
    Mitchell is a more polished QB at this point than Collaros is. I think that we saw evidence of that tonight. Collaros seemed to panic at times this year when the game was on the line including during the Ticats' two losses to Toronto.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

I agree. I couldn't believe that Austin was not calling a timeout on Paredes' kick. Also, Banks reaction was totally unjustified. However, Austin should have told him to get it together because the team needs him as a deep threat in the last minute. Even if he ended up being a decoy grabbing extra attention because of his dangerous speed, it would have been an advantage. If he couldn't get it together after an admonition from the coach, that answers any remaining questions about whether he could be a longterm problem for the team.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 163
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Mitchell is a more polished QB at this point than Collaros is. I think that we saw evidence of that tonight. Collaros seemed to panic at times this year when the game was on the line including during the Ticats' two losses to Toronto.
    I think Austin failed to develop a offensive system that suited Collaros' talents this season. Collaros generally looked better last year than he did this year, and I think that's because Milanovich is a better offensive mind than Austin. I still think Zach is returning here once his contract in Hamilton is up, and coaching will be a big reason.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I think Austin failed to develop a offensive system that suited Collaros' talents this season. Collaros generally looked better last year than he did this year, and I think that's because Milanovich is a better offensive mind than Austin. I still think Zach is returning here once his contract in Hamilton is up, and coaching will be a big reason.
    The Ticats did not lose the Grey Cup because of Collaros. I thought that Austin made numerous key mistakes tonight and needs to be asked about them. I still can't figure out that call on 2nd and goal late in the fourth quarter with the Ticats down by 10 at the time. I think that you have to be much more creative there. Red zone offence was a huge problem for the Ticats tonight and all season.

Banned
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Collaros seemed like he was trying to "push things" most of the time this season ... he didn't seem all that comfortable as a quarterback. You would just see flashes of composure here and there, but most of the time he was dancing around for no real reason. His ball handling ability (turnovers) was also a little rough also ... I really don't like him as a QB. Hamilton was depending on Speedy B too much, they need some long ball receivers. Speedy B needed a rest after that runback, but in my opinion should have been back on the field for the remainder. The Stamps were slated to win this Grey Cup big time, and they just turned out being fortunate winners, but winners none the less.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Collaros looked very agitated on the sidelines -- his body language and demeanour suggested he was not happy with something, perhaps the play calling.

As for Banks, methinks his tearful petulance on the sideline when his team desperately needed his speed on the field may have cost him another shot at the NFL.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    And who will be Toronto's coach when he is a free agent??

Boatman
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points
    Level
    Kudo's to the Stamps but Hamilton let it slip away.

Their offense once inside of the 30 was awful. 25, 12 and 37 yard FG's (plus the one blocked) instead of any TD's was the nail in the coffin. Whether that was play calling or performance I don't know but I know it wasn't good. Even with that they still had a shot.

The Stamps D was great in the 1st half and their pressure on Collaros really had an effect in the second half. You could see that even though the Hamilton O line played better in the second half Collaros was ready to run at the first sign of pressure. Collaros never looked comfortable, that was a big win for the Stamps D.

Speaking of defense Hamilton's really did a great job against the Calgary O. Cornish never really got rolling and while Bo threw for a tonne of yards in the first half he was completely handcuffed in the second. Had Hamilton been able to convert some of those FG's into TD's they would be the champs. Hamilton's D did enough to win.

Glad to see that Grigsby didn't get to win. Don't know why Banks wasn't on the field for that last drive. They needed the scoring threat on each play but he's there on the sideline sobbing. Don't know whether he wasn't called upon or didn't answer the call, hope it is not the later.

Don
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I cannot say that I'm not relieved that Calgary won the game in the end. It was eerily similar to a game that the Stampeders played against Hamilton at McMaster earlier in the season where Mitchell & Co., really sliced and diced through Hamilton's defense in the first half. The Tiger-Cats made some adjustments in the second half to make the game close, but ended up falling just short.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

New Fan
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 50
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I think that it was clear that Sinkfield played for his speed. Other than Banks and Giguere, the Cats receiving corps is not very fast. With the Stamps secondary being so good and aggressive, the Cats likely thought that they needed another speedy receiver to spell Banks (Banks is not a full-time receiver in their offense) and to return some kicks. However, Ellingson and Koch are clearly better receivers than Sinkfield.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I disagree. Hamilton for the most part went with the line-up that had them finish the season 7-2. Ellingson is similar to Fantuz and Tasker in terms of type of receiver. You can't go with too many possession receivers or the D can afford to play closer to the line making even more difficult to pick up first downs. Sinkfield and Banks stretch the defence.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Banned
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Originally Posted by Rich I think Austin failed to develop a offensive system that suited Collaros' talents this season. Collaros generally looked better last year than he did this year, and I think that's because Milanovich is a better offensive mind than Austin. I still think Zach is returning here once his contract in Hamilton is up, and coaching will be a big reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    And who will be Toronto's coach when he is a free agent??
    Spock Milanovich of course! Everybody loves Spock.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Hamilton's suspect O-Line hurt them yesterday with both pass protection and penalties.
    Calgary sacking Collaros late in the game near the Hamilton goal line (with a 3 man rush) was inexcusable.

Boatman
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 184
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    I cannot say that I'm not relieved that Calgary won the game in the end. It was eerily similar to a game that the Stampeders played against Hamilton at McMaster earlier in the season where Mitchell & Co., really sliced and diced through Hamilton's defense in the first half. The Tiger-Cats made some adjustments in the second half to make the game close, but ended up falling just short.
    Here's another thought, during the 2nd half, i had to think back to the 2013 Eastern Final. remember how our Argos were rolling in the 1st half at home, and then Steinauer & Co did not allow Chad, Ricky and the boys any points in the 2nd half?
    couldn't believe we could not even score a single point.
    Well almost the same deal in GC 102, holding Bo and Jon etc. to just 3 measly points in the 2nd half, and you guys nailed it when you focus on the Tabbies' lack of finish in the Red Zone as the real game-story. But I have to give credit to the Ticats defensive staff, and speaking of some other posts about coaching moves, wouldn't you love to get Orlando back here? He has made a believer out of me.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Al&Kat View Post
    Here's another thought, during the 2nd half, i had to think back to the 2013 Eastern Final. remember how our Argos were rolling in the 1st half at home, and then Steinauer & Co did not allow Chad, Ricky and the boys any points in the 2nd half?
    couldn't believe we could not even score a single point.
    Well almost the same deal in GC 102, holding Bo and Jon etc. to just 3 measly points in the 2nd half, and you guys nailed it when you focus on the Tabbies' lack of finish in the Red Zone as the real game-story. But I have to give credit to the Ticats defensive staff, and speaking of some other posts about coaching moves, wouldn't you love to get Orlando back here? He has made a believer out of me.
    Assuming that he is still under contract in Hamilton and that he is the assistant head coach there (is he?), the only way that he would end up back in Toronto is if he becomes the head coach as anything else would be a lateral move at best. If he isn't the assistant head coach in Hamilton, then I suppose Milanovich could offer him that plus the defensive coordinator position as that would serve as a promotion but I get the sense that Milanovich is prepared to give Burke another year.

Yep, that's got to hurt your credibility with teammates!
    Kudos to Bubba O'Neil and Mark Hebscher on CHCH's Sportsline for calling Banks out for his behaviour! I can't believe that nobody else in the media has done this or has called out Kent Austin for his numerous mistakes. I get the sense that many are afraid of having Austin yell at them.

Boatman
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    I still get chills thinking of how Banks almost created the Cinderella story of the decade with that punt return for the TD at the end of the game. I was so disappointed when I saw the "Flag" appear at the bottom of the screen because you knew the chances of it not being against Hamilton were slim to none. At least the Ti-Cats made the game fun to watch however if they don't do anything to replace their O-Line with people who can keep the pocket from collapsing within 2 seconds of the ball being snapped then Hamilton should get used to disappointment.