Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level

Early draft thoughts

Our consolation prize for having a terrible year - early draft pick(s) - will be unusually valuable in 2015. All of the red shirt freshman who would ordinarily have been available in 2014 had to wait until this year, so this will be the deepest (and among the best) list of draft-eligible players in recent memory.

rankings.jpg

The December rankings reveal the usual lineman-heavy list with some skill-position players mixed in. It's about as by-the-book as it gets: top-heavy with OL, no kickers at all, and no highly ranked LBs or DBs. I think that works just fine for us; IMHO, we need linemen and receivers more than anything else.

DT Daryl Waud, who is heading to the Shrine game next month, would look good as an Argo. I know practically nothing about any of the guys on the current list, but interior D-line is one of our positions of need and he might also be the BPA at #3.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I too think an OL will be in the first few rounds for the Argos. Possibly a receiver.
    Ward on the Defense would be good too but his invite to the Shrine Game , he may garner some NFL interest.

Here is the earliest mock draft ..... May not even have the order straight though .....
    http://www.riderfans.com/forum/showt...2015-CFL-Draft

Rids always has some good info ..... http://blog.ridleyscouting.com/Kent_..._December.html

How many rounds are they doing this year?
    Last edited by Argocister; 12-14-2014 at 03:03 PM.

Achievements:

Level
    The 2015 draft will have seven rounds. I don't think that Waud has been dominant enough in the CIS to attract much NFL interest, but who knows at this point? We could find a spot for a good player at any position except perhaps LB at this point.

Speaking of which, does anyone/everyone think we'll keep both Greenwood and Emry? The former is unproven, the latter has been moderately disappointing as an Argo, and they both play the same position. It would be a waste of salary to have one backing up the other, so we should move one of them to another position or another team. If Greenwood can play Will, that might be a good option. Trading one of them for picks/players might be even better.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    I don't think that Waud has been dominant enough in the CIS to attract much NFL interest, but who knows at this point?
    It will come down to how he fares during the week of practice leading up to the Shrine game. If he has a good week of practice, regardless of how he does in the game, that might be enough to earn a free agent contract in the NFL.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argocister View Post
    I too think an OL will be in the first few rounds for the Argos. Possibly a receiver.
    Ward on the Defense would be good too but his invite to the Shrine Game , he may garner some NFL interest.

Here is the earliest mock draft ..... May not even have the order straight though .....
    http://www.riderfans.com/forum/showt...2015-CFL-Draft

Rids always has some good info ..... http://blog.ridleyscouting.com/Kent_..._December.html

How many rounds are they doing this year?
    I think the Argos will try for a O Lineman in one of their first 2 rounds pick. They would be happy to take Dempsey if Winnipeg doesn't IMO, and if they are able to do that, then an offensive lineman like Chung could well be their 2nd round pick. The fact that Boyko and Varga are going to the Senior Bowl means they will almost certainly be drafted and will drop in the CFL draft. East/West Shrine game players are generally late round picks or free agent signing in the NFL. So at least five players rated in the first round of the CFL draft could be going to the NFL. Good for the players to possibly get a big pay day but bad for the CFL with its ratio rules. That is why I have always been an advocate of some rule change to allow a couple per team of their most Senior imports to not count as an Import. With Argos in 2015 that would be Chad Owens and Jason Barnes, seeing QB's don't count toward the ratio. They would remain as non-imports until they were released or retired then the next senior import would be next up. Maybe they should have at least 5 years in the League to be eligible, which would help with some continuity.
    It would cushion the blow somewhat of teams losing the top rated Canadians going to the NFL.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Hope the Argos can draft smart and come up with a couple of impact players - and for areas of need.

Seems like a real deep/quality crop at DT this draft - and maybe they could get a guy to back-up or platoon with Laing there - not sure Waud is the best prospect but up there with the likes of LeBlanc (Mt. A), Tennant (Laval), Abdesmad (Boston College) plus maybe CIS all-stars Dale (UBC) and Lattanzio (GGs) . Argos have to be able to get one of these guys if they were to target the position with an early draft pick.

Don't see much need to go after O-line with the likes of Sewell, Scott Mitchell (could he yet live up to his former CFL
    top pick status?) or last year's pick (guy out of UBC - cant recall his name) in the wings. McEwen and Mateas are accomplished college ball Centres though - maybe ready to take over from vet Keeping - down the road or sooner ?

Similarly - any need at all at NI LB with Emry, Greenwood, Yurichuck, Tonye-Tonye and Miles around ?

Receiver - maybe need for upgrade there - but they may be happy with guys like Bradwell, Watt, Adjei (plus maybe last year's pick Pszonczak - though little evidence of smaller, athletic type Canadian receivers on CFL rosters now); like to see them get a big target like 6-5 Addison Richards but he may be gone early. Durie with Coombs in the wings as givens at that slot /YAC position ?

Some good RBs up this draft - mainly Varga who may be the best pure Canadian tailback out of college ball in some time (since Lumsden or Cornish say?); there is also Murray-Lawrence (starter in Div I at UNLV) and Dillon Campbell who just had a fantastic season at Laurier; Argos might feel they are set with NI RBs in Coombs & Woodson though.

Also a very good safety in Coady (Montreal) - could go nice with Gabriel, but maybe they are happy with him and Matt Black.

Nothing would surprise me with CFL draft "thunkin" though - wouldn't be surprised to see them draft some more linebackers and O-Linemen.

Best sceanrio i\d like to see with early picks - big receiver Richards is still available with the Argos 1st pick; then get the best DT they like with the 2nd pick.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Hope the Argos can draft smart and come up with a couple of impact players - and for areas of need.

Seems like a real deep/quality crop at DT this draft - and maybe they could get a guy to back-up or platoon with Laing there - not sure Waud is the best prospect but up there with the likes of LeBlanc (Mt. A), Tennant (Laval), Abdesmad (Boston College) plus maybe CIS all-stars Dale (UBC) and Lattanzio (GGs) . Argos have to be able to get one of these guys if they were to target the position with an early draft pick.

Don't see much need to go after O-line with the likes of Sewell, Scott Mitchell (could he yet live up to his former CFL
    top pick status?) or last year's pick (guy out of UBC - cant recall his name) in the wings. McEwen and Mateas are accomplished college ball Centres though - maybe ready to take over from vet Keeping - down the road or sooner ?

Similarly - any need at all at NI LB with Emry, Greenwood, Yurichuck, Tonye-Tonye and Miles around ?

Receiver - maybe need for upgrade there - but they may be happy with guys like Bradwell, Watt, Adjei (plus maybe last year's pick Pszonczak - though little evidence of smaller, athletic type Canadian receivers on CFL rosters now); like to see them get a big target like 6-5 Addison Richards but he may be gone early. Durie with Coombs in the wings as givens at that slot /YAC position ?

Some good RBs up this draft - mainly Varga who may be the best pure Canadian tailback out of college ball in some time (since Lumsden or Cornish say?); there is also Murray-Lawrence (starter in Div I at UNLV) and Dillon Campbell who just had a fantastic season at Laurier; Argos might feel they are set with NI RBs in Coombs & Woodson though.

Also a very good safety in Coady (Montreal) - could go nice with Gabriel, but maybe they are happy with him and Matt Black.

Nothing would surprise me with CFL draft "thunkin" though - wouldn't be surprised to see them draft some more linebackers and O-Linemen.

Best sceanrio i\d like to see with early picks - big receiver Richards is still available with the Argos 1st pick; then get the best DT they like with the 2nd pick.
    Argos should be looking at D-Linemen and receivers in this draft, already saturated with Linebacking talent.
    The likes of Bradwell and Watt have been useful dedicated players but don't scare any defence in the league, Bradwell falls to the ground when a defender sneezes around him. The D-Line although improved from 2013 (which isn't saying much) needs help and should be an area Barker is concentrating on.

Achievements:

Level
    Richards did put up some impressive stats this year. His 2014 was a lot more productive than Devon Bailey's 2013 (on paper, at least).

I don't think it's impossible that we'll go OL with one of our early picks. It's tough to judge how good Sewell, Mitchell, and Dhillon are going to be, and they may not be developing the way we'd like. It would be reassuring to see us draft "skill" guys in the first couple of rounds.

Boatman
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points
    Level
    I'm going to echo most of the other thoughts here and say that the D-line is an area to target within the first few picks of the draft. There is always a demand for good national OL's as well so you could see them go there as well.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    For me we just have to be smart and pick guys who can help as much as they can right now and not guys who have a real shot down south. I'm about picking the best available guy when your time comes to draft. Personally I'd like to see a receiver who has a strong upside. Have to put our faith in Barker.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    For me we just have to be smart and pick guys who can help as much as they can right now and not guys who have a real shot down south. I'm about picking the best available guy when your time comes to draft. Personally I'd like to see a receiver who has a strong upside. Have to put our faith in Barker.
    I would love to see the Argos get either Demski or Richards. Richards may be going to the Shrine game but IMO Demski will be the better Pro. But IMO again I think they will go for the best offensive lineman available with the overall third pick (not counting Boyko if he is drafted) because they are just too hard to find. If Holmes leaves things start to look a little thin up front for Canadians. Keeping and Van Zeyl are about it for proven guys. Smith is 35 and I was surprised how he held up this year, good guy to have on the bench but....... Mitchell looks like he could be another bust because if they thought he was going to be any good they would have given him some playing time. Edmonton give up on him after 2 years. Sewell may eventually make it at RT, but hasn't really set things on fire apparently. Dhillon is unknown as a back up Center. Now if they can bring back Holmes and maybe resign Eppele if he has recovered from should surgery, then maybe go for a WR or a DL like Waud. A few if's in there though. Otherwise I like that offensive guard at Calgary Suuk Chung 6'4 300 and tough as nails.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    maybe resign Eppele if he has recovered from should surgery
    Regarding Joe Eppele, all signs point to him retiring. The RedBlacks have no interest in re-signing him and there was a report in the Sun, I believe, late in the season that Eppele had lost significant weight when Marcel Desjardins last saw him which indicates that he has no interest in continuing his playing career so I don't see Eppele as being part of any equation moving forward.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Just read that SFU receiver Lamar Durant has declared early for both the NFL & CFL draft (didn't know you could do that for the CFL draft?) - this guy is maybe the best CFL draft receiver prospect in years & years - big (6-3, 220 plus range) and supposedly very fast - had a huge season in US college ball for SFU in 2013 but injuries limited him last season. Could maybe be the #1 CFL draft prospect now, IMO. I\ll bet he draws signifigant NFL interest though = which should scare most CFL teams from drafting him early - as with Boyko & Varga probably too.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Regarding Joe Eppele, all signs point to him retiring. The RedBlacks have no interest in re-signing him and there was a report in the Sun, I believe, late in the season that Eppele had lost significant weight when Marcel Desjardins last saw him which indicates that he has no interest in continuing his playing career so I don't see Eppele as being part of any equation moving forward.
    Joe started as a DE I believe before they changed him to the O Line in College. You can play DE in the CFL much lighter at 240-250. But I hadn't heard anything out of Ottawa about that. Too bad if he is done, it is difficult to find talented Canadian linemen.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Joe started as a DE I believe before they changed him to the O Line in College. You can play DE in the CFL much lighter at 240-250. But I hadn't heard anything out of Ottawa about that. Too bad if he is done, it is difficult to find talented Canadian linemen.
    Eppele is maybe, IMO, an example of some CFL thinkers being over enamored with NI players with any kind of US college ball resume; Eppele was never a proven starter in college ball, but maybe they thought Div I + size meant a great football prospect? Meanwhile - current CFL free agent O-Linemen Ben Heenan & Brent Jones were proven, all-star calibre football players (in that lowly CIS ball) and have panned out as CFL best type O-linemen who will now either command top CFL bucks or else get an NFL shot. Lesson here maybe - only use top draft picks (first 2 or 3 rounds say) on proven, top stats or all-star type college ball players and save the prospect / great size type picks till later rounds or not at all. And there are plenty of CIS all-star calibre players up every CFL draft, to go along with some proven US college ball Canadians too. There is IMO - LOTS of Canadian talent available to CFL teams every year - thru the draft and as FAs (you could build a very good core of CFL talent just by signing the top Canadians on this year's FA list.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    The Canadian Linemen kids that go to NCAA schools do seem to get burned out down there or maybe the Argos have just had bad luck with their picks and pickups. Except for Holmes they haven't been able to come up with a good Canadian who could be on their Line for ten years or more like Montreal's Perrett and Bourke. The biggest problem IMO is there just isn't enough TALENTED guys to go around and that also have the will and desire to play Football. There's always going to be a few Ben Heenan's and Brent Jones but not enough to stock nine or ten CFL teams. Maybe the CFL should start a baby bonus program for Canadian CFL Offensive Linemen to have large families. lol

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    The Canadian Linemen kids that go to NCAA schools do seem to get burned out down there or maybe the Argos have just had bad luck with their picks and pickups. Except for Holmes they haven't been able to come up with a good Canadian who could be on their Line for ten years or more like Montreal's Perrett and Bourke. The biggest problem IMO is there just isn't enough TALENTED guys to go around and that also have the will and desire to play Football. There's always going to be a few Ben Heenan's and Brent Jones but not enough to stock nine or ten CFL teams. Maybe the CFL should start a baby bonus program for Canadian CFL Offensive Linemen to have large families. lol
    Fraid I\ll have to disagree there; there is plenty of Canadian football talent for CFL teams that have sharp scouts, good coaching staffs and who hold on to lots of draft picks or make smart FA signs. Example - the GC Champ Stamps started or played at least 6 Canadian O-Linemen this past season - most of whom they got thru the draft (Jones & Lavertu were CIS stars, Craighead out of US college ball, Junior gem find Spencer Wilson, and 6th round draft pick Bergman out of CIS ball (started in the GC), and they went out and obtained NFL experienced Dan Federkeil; plus they have in the wings on their roster, former draft picks Billy Peach (US college ball NI product) and Brad Erdos (Simon Fraser). SO - they drafted smart, found Canadian talent from various sources (CIS ball, US college ball, Junior ball), developed and coached them well - and they are part of a very good championship offence that can or has both passed and ran the ball well.

ALL CFL teams COULD do this - hold on to draft picks, sign quality FAs, and have faith in Canadian talent; the SMART teams do.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I'm all for the CIS and Canadian Talent on CFL teams but the reality IMO is the bottom line is there is NOT ENOUGH Canadian OL players really athletic and good enough to play at the high level in the CFL. Edmonton made due this year with three castoffs in Ramsey, Sorenson and Jones who made the team because they are big Canadians and they couldn't find anybody else. Believe me if there were more Brent Jones and Dan Federkeils out there other teams would find them.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I'm all for the CIS and Canadian Talent on CFL teams but the reality IMO is the bottom line is there is NOT ENOUGH Canadian OL players really athletic and good enough to play at the high level in the CFL. Edmonton made due this year with three castoffs in Ramsey, Sorenson and Jones who made the team because they are big Canadians and they couldn't find anybody else. Believe me if there were more Brent Jones and Dan Federkeils out there other teams would find them.
    Again - you're entitled to your opinions, but spare me the "reality" bull$hite CFL cliche NOT ENOUGH Canadians stuff or else present it as just an opinion rather than like you are stating facts.

IMO - again - there is PLENTY of Canadian talent to stock a 9 team CFL league - the Canadian NI talent pool has grown in both quantity and quality = more CIS teams than ever, lots of Canadians getting US college ball training, Junior ball still strong and produces a few pro gems (see Andrew Harris, Rob Cote, Jermaine Gabriel). What is however lacking - IMO - is enough good scouts and coaches in the good ole CFL to pay attention to and have respect for the total Canadian talent pool - top players at ALL positions; and even though the O-line position group may be favored and mined strongly by CFL thinkers, I just finished citing you how the GC Champ Stamps are deep in Canadian O-Line talent - started 4 and played 6 and have plenty of depth/ young prospects on their roster but you want to make up stories how this just couldn\t be so? SO - Believe me - if they were more smart CFL personnel guys out there you would see more CFL teams with similar roster capability and maybe winning more games - IMO. And BTW - this coming CFL draft features a number of very good O-Line prospects - several from US college ball and some CIS all stars; along with talent at all other position groups as well.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I tend to agree with OV here .... there are plenty of Canadian players. Many are not provided the opportunity to try out for the team let alone play. Just in the CIS you have 27 teams.