Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Didn't the old site have some lists of posters' all-time Argo team - naming every position? That is tough and more thorough than just a top 5.

Might be cool to see some of those all-time team lists and have as a sticky here ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    My top 5 is a mix of skill and personality. Steak and sizzle if u will

1.Condredge Holloway
    2.Chad Owens
    3.Pinball Clemons
    4.Carl Brazley
    5.Gene Mack

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Gene Mack would top an all time Argo Character list.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 241
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    For entertainment value...

1. Kerwin Bell

2. Robert Baker
    3. Noel Prefontaine

4. Adriano Belli
    5. Bashir Levingston

Honorable mention to Clifford Ivory, Chad Folk, John Avery, Andre Talbot, Jude St John, Michael Bishop & Wayne Lammle

Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    How did we all miss Belli?
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Didn't the old site have some lists of posters' all-time Argo team - naming every position? That is tough and more thorough than just a top 5.

Might be cool to see some of those all-time team lists and have as a sticky here ?
    Good idea. I think we should also create a list of who should be added to the all-time Argonauts list on the banners. Many great players are not yet on that list. IMO to qualify you should have played at least five years with the Argos and should be most identified with the Argos if you also played for other teams. So that would disqualify Flutie and Allen and Dunigan, which would be fine with me. They were all great Argos but are more associated with other teams and/or had short tenures in Toronto.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Good idea. I think we should also create a list of who should be added to the all-time Argonauts list on the banners. Many great players are not yet on that list. IMO to qualify you should have played at least five years with the Argos and should be most identified with the Argos if you also played for other teams. So that would disqualify Flutie and Allen and Dunigan, which would be fine with me. They were all great Argos but are more associated with other teams and/or had short tenures in Toronto.
    I get what you mean about qualifying and the career Argo thing; but an all-time Argo all-star type roster should IMO still be open to anyone who played for the Argos (and obviously was outstanding) - SO - players like Flutie or Bruce Clark who played just 2 seasons, could get voted for based on pure football talent or Argo success; but I would understand those who choose not to vote for such players in favor of guys with much longer Argo careers. (Flutie is probably the only such guy i would vote for on my team - 2 GC winning seasons by one of the greatest QBs ever to play in the CFL and in his prime; AND the Argos just do NOT (arguably) have any great long Argot career QBs, unless you go back before my time i guess - somebody like Krol).

Don
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Feel free to start your own threads on those topics. It would be good discussion for the off-season, which is very slow.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I get what you mean about qualifying and the career Argo thing; but an all-time Argo all-star type roster should IMO still be open to anyone who played for the Argos (and obviously was outstanding) - SO - players like Flutie or Bruce Clark who played just 2 seasons, could get voted for based on pure football talent or Argo success; but I would understand those who choose not to vote for such players in favor of guys with much longer Argo careers. (Flutie is probably the only such guy i would vote for on my team - 2 GC winning seasons by one of the greatest QBs ever to play in the CFL and in his prime; AND the Argos just do NOT (arguably) have any great long Argot career QBs, unless you go back before my time i guess - somebody like Krol).
    I agree that Flutie, for instance, could and maybe should be considered the greatest QB in Argo history. But paradoxically I would not put him up on the banners in the stadium as an all-time Argonaut because, to me, that honour should be reserved for guys who were with the team a long time and/or most closely associated with the Argos rather than other teams. I will start a separate thread on this topic.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    In no particular order:

Carl Brazley
    Leon McQuay
    Terry Greer
    Eric Harris
    Paul Masotti (or "Paul Mastoid", according to the spell-checker)

Essentially, I really cannot choose just five players: it's too painful not including Eric Allen, Jim Stillwagon, Jim Corrigall, Darrel K. Smith, Don Moen, Mike Eben, Granville Liggans, Mel Profit, Marv Luster, Paul Pearson, Doyle Orange, Condredge Holloway, Doug Flutie, Michael Clemons, ... and so many other wonderful Argos.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    I like this thread because it's a list of everyone's favourite players and not just skilled. I'm a 90's guy, so my list is heavy influenced by that era.

Michael Clemons is the most likable athlete of all time. Even my Grandmother liked him. Now my next five in order.

2. Mike O'Shea - His rookie season, he was the only Ti-Cat to stay post game and give this Argo fan an autograph. The way he played. Make a drive ending tackle, then be first downfield on ST.
    3. Paul Masotti - I always tried to copy his signature hook pattern when playing myself. He had a cottage near my home on Lake Erie.
    4. Matt Dunigan - Was a true warrior. All iced up and won us a Cup. Once asked me for a Toronto Sun while he was headed to his Cudas bus. I happily obliged and he stopped to sign all my stuff before he got on.
    5. Byron Parker - Always made the clutch play. An emotional and proud Argonaut. All around great guy.
    6. Doug Flutie - I appreciated his talent more than anything. Not very likable and a little arrogant, but he came to play every single down.

7. Honorable mentions go to Don Moen, Chris Schultz, Adrian Smith, Noel Prefontaine, Andre Durie and Chad Owens.

Boatman
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Pinball Clemons
    Kevin Eiben
    Jonathan Brown
    Derrell "Mookie" Mitchell
    Don Moen

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    See every time I someone else posts I see other names of guys I loved like Moen, Eiban and Eric Harris.

McQuay would be one of my least favs as he was a total prick to my cousin and I as we tried to get his autograph at CNE Stadium after a practice once. We were at the top of Ontario Place before the new Blue Jay section at CNE and we could see the Argos practicing so we ran over. So many of the guys were great including Russ Jackson who was coaching at the time. McQuay was a KNOB who couldn't hold onto a ball when it counted.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    See every time I someone else posts I see other names of guys I loved like Moen, Eiban and Eric Harris.

McQuay would be one of my least favs as he was a total prick to my cousin and I as we tried to get his autograph at CNE Stadium after a practice once. We were at the top of Ontario Place before the new Blue Jay section at CNE and we could see the Argos practicing so we ran over. So many of the guys were great including Russ Jackson who was coaching at the time. McQuay was a KNOB who couldn't hold onto a ball when it counted.
    I think you may mean Anthony Davis, not McQuay. Leon was with the Argos 1971-73, Jackson was coach 1975-76 and Davis was an Argo in 1976. The stadium was reconfigured for baseball starting in 1976.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I think you may mean Anthony Davis, not McQuay. Leon was with the Argos 1971-73, Jackson was coach 1975-76 and Davis was an Argo in 1976. The stadium was reconfigured for baseball starting in 1976.
    Man - the Argos had some great talent at times at RB back in those days - Symons, McQuay ( a "knob" maybe but one of the most explosive running backs i've ever seen - in ANY football), Anthony Davis, Terry Metcalf ... a lineage carried on thru to the likes of Cedric Minter (maybe not a real great ground game force but a real dual threat as a receiver as well), Pinball, Gill Fenerty .., Mike Jenkins, Cory Boyd, even Chad Kackert for one season = some very talented RBs have worn the Double Blue ! Too bad not many of them lasted long-term as Argo dominant CFL backs who led the offence to great success - Minter and Pinball and Kack were key to GC wins though; Leon and Gill and the Thrill = almost.
    Last edited by OV Argo; 12-27-2014 at 07:54 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    The Argos get criticized a lot for never developing their "own" QB, but they could also be criticized for never (other than Pinball) managing to keep good RBs around very long. Mind you, they aren't the only team to fail in that regard. Hamilton has also had mostly short-lived backs, as has Edm since Jim Germany and Blake Marshall. Calgary and Winnipeg have probably had the most success finding long-term backs, although "long-term" is somewhat relative at that position.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 177
    Achievements:

Level
    pinball
    jonathan brown
    jordan younger
    damon allen
    prefontaine

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    The Argos get criticized a lot for never developing their "own" QB, but they could also be criticized for never (other than Pinball) managing to keep good RBs around very long. Mind you, they aren't the only team to fail in that regard. Hamilton has also had mostly short-lived backs, as has Edm since Jim Germany and Blake Marshall. Calgary and Winnipeg have probably had the most success finding long-term backs, although "long-term" is somewhat relative at that position.
    True i guess - but maybe it could also be argued that the Argos have had so much RB talent that the NFL would eventually call - McQuay, Davis, (Metcalf went back), Minter, Fenerty, Jenkins all got lured away ... too bad. wish the Argos had hung on to Neil Lumsden who went on to be a CFL force for the Esks for a number of years - Argos never shown much faith in Canadian RBs compared to some CFL teams it seems ... coulda drafted Jon Cornish

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    True i guess - but maybe it could also be argued that the Argos have had so much RB talent that the NFL would eventually call - McQuay, Davis, (Metcalf went back), Minter, Fenerty, Jenkins all got lured away ... too bad. wish the Argos had hung on to Neil Lumsden who went on to be a CFL force for the Esks for a number of years - Argos never shown much faith in Canadian RBs compared to some CFL teams it seems ... coulda drafted Jon Cornish
    McQuay got traded to Calgary before going to the NFL. Davis may have "jumped" to the NFL but he would have been released anyway. Fenerty and Minter were all-time greats whose departures will forever be lamented. Jenkins flared up briefly but I wouldn't rate him in the same class as minter, fenerty or kackert -- maybe becuz he had the misfortune of being a feature back under the horrendously bad John Huard.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Another guy they let get away was Mark Braganolo a good Canadian RB who played his first 3 seasons with the Argos and went on to have a pretty solid career (mainly in the Hammer).