Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    All of you seem to forget he was platooned his last year with the team.
    In fact, as my seats are on the Argos side I remember his pouting on the sideline during the home game when it was clear he was not playing every down.
    What do you mean by he was platooned? Did he only play against left hand QB's or something? Couldn't hit the righties?

Honestly AT, I have no idea what games you are watching. The Argos may have rotated their D line in 2012, but there is no way he only played about half the snaps (which would be what a platooned player would do). There really aren't any D lineman in the league that play every down. Even the Riders last year with Chick, Foley and George, rotated their line.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    All of you seem to forget he was platooned his last year with the team.
    In fact, as my seats are on the Argos side I remember his pouting on the sideline during the home game when it was clear he was not playing every down.
    Now is that an indicator of his talent or from being at odds with Chris Jones? He was interviewed on the Green Zone tonight and subtly hinted at a rift between him and Jones during his first stint with the Argos.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    What do you mean by he was platooned? Did he only play against left hand QB's or something? Couldn't hit the righties?

Honestly AT, I have no idea what games you are watching. The Argos may have rotated their D line in 2012, but there is no way he only played about half the snaps (which would be what a platooned player would do). There really aren't any D lineman in the league that play every down. Even the Riders last year with Chick, Foley and George, rotated their line.
    Back under Chris Jones' system, he was as I recall at odds with the DC and the bottom line was not producing as a rush end.
    In 13, he was somewhat ineffective with the Riders but had a better year in 14.
    Still though, why would the team have given up on the guy?
    Even more curious is why would the Argos want him back?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumblitis View Post
    Now is that an indicator of his talent or from being at odds with Chris Jones? He was interviewed on the Green Zone tonight and subtly hinted at a rift between him and Jones during his first stint with the Argos.
    That is exactly why he left the Argonauts, felt he wasn't utilized properly by Jones, tough argument as they did win the World Championship. From what I hear Jones can be a tough guy to play for.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    I would be surprised to se Tonye-Tonye on the roster this season.
    I would be too. He is obviously well down the depth chart.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Back under Chris Jones' system, he was as I recall at odds with the DC and the bottom line was not producing as a rush end.
    In 13, he was somewhat ineffective with the Riders but had a better year in 14.
    Still though, why would the team have given up on the guy?
    Even more curious is why would the Argos want him back?
    I think you know why the Riders "gave up" on Foley, they got a pretty decent Canadian linebacker in return.
    Not sure why the Argonauts would want the guy who was the most outstanding Canadian in the 2012 Grey Cup back, quite frankly they never could replace Foley after he left.
    Also hard to "produce" when your DC has you dropping into coverages.
    Level with us Tom, I picture you laughing your ass off as we all reply to your posts.
    Last edited by Argo57; 01-27-2015 at 07:48 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 237
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Don't forget James Yurichuk who had 1 start last season, and was spectacular.
    Yeah, he sure was. He could be a breakout player this year. Hopefully he's earned himself some starting time, at least "platoon" at LB.

How's this for some Canadian talent on defence:

Foley
    Laing
    Greenwood
    Yurichuk
    Gabriel
    Black

Pretty impressive if you ask me.

Boatman
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points
    Level
    Wow! Tune out for a few days and big things happen.

It makes total sense from an Argos standpoint. As everyone has pointed out here since Greenwood signed linebacker was our deepest spot on the roster with people trying to figure out just how we could use all the talent we had at the position at the same time. Dealing Emry mades the most sense as he would yield the biggest return.

From Ricky Foley's point of view I don't know how happy he would be with the move. He just re-signed with the Riders a few weeks ago, tough to think that he is thrilled with the deal.

The age difference isn't a concern because with only a few years left of Ray it makes sense to try to get the best team around him while he's still performing at a high level.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumblitis View Post
    I've been on this forum for awhile now and it may seem like you guys are small in number but the passion for your team is just as intense.
    We're small in number but we know it all. lol Just ask us. But any time I want a good laugh I go on the Riders Main Forum. There are some funny guys posting there. (I mean funny in a humorous way of course). On here some are funny in a different way. lol

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Yeah, he sure was. He could be a breakout player this year. Hopefully he's earned himself some starting time, at least "platoon" at LB.

How's this for some Canadian talent on defence:

Foley
    Laing
    Greenwood
    Yurichuk
    Gabriel
    Black

Pretty impressive if you ask me.
    Yeah, but i still think we will only see 3 or 4 NIs play regularly on defence: Gabriel at S, Foley at DE; Greenwood probably at one LB spot; Laing probably at DT (maybe in a rotation with an import or a yound NI if they draft one). We've talked here before about Matt Black playing corner - and i amongst others i think - believe he could do quite well ; but he is a vet now and they have shown little faith in him as a starter there, and he might be viewed more as a good back-up for all D-backfield spots, particularly at safety; Yurichuck is a vet too and quite capable, but again, has got little playing time = viewed as a good back-up and ST guy; very doubtful they start/play 2 NI linebackers. Too many Canadians starting on defence in the CFL now is enough to make a good ole boy head explode. ;o)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    We're small in number but we know it all. lol Just ask us. But any time I want a good laugh I go on the Riders Main Forum. There are some funny guys posting there. (I mean funny in a humorous way of course). On here some are funny in a different way. lol
    Some on Riderfans.com are funny in a not so humorous way too...the "scratch my head" kinda funny.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Yeah, but i still think we will only see 3 or 4 NIs play regularly on defence: Gabriel at S, Foley at DE; Greenwood probably at one LB spot; Laing probably at DT (maybe in a rotation with an import or a yound NI if they draft one). We've talked here before about Matt Black playing corner - and i amongst others i think - believe he could do quite well ; but he is a vet now and they have shown little faith in him as a starter there, and he might be viewed more as a good back-up for all D-backfield spots, particularly at safety; Yurichuck is a vet too and quite capable, but again, has got little playing time = viewed as a good back-up and ST guy; very doubtful they start/play 2 NI linebackers. Too many Canadians starting on defence in the CFL now is enough to make a good ole boy head explode. ;o)
    I think we will play three for sure, four is possible IF we can land a very solid d-lineman to back up Foley and Laing. I would like to see Black get a shot at CB but I think the one thing really working against him is his height. There are too many tall, dominant receivers these days. I think we're going to increasingly see teams bringing in corners and HBs who stand 6-1 to 6-3.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I think the one thing really working against him is his height. There are too many tall, dominant receivers these days. I think we're going to increasingly see teams bringing in corners and HBs who stand 6-1 to 6-3.
    I agree with this on the field side, but on the boundary, I think quickness and the ability to read a developing play are more important. You see a lot more bump and run on the field side, which is perhaps why there is more of a need for size there.
    It's us vs the rest of the country