Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Always loved the heart that Foley played with and I'm glad he's back. NEVER EVER liked Emry who brought his dirty play from Montreal to Toronto. Guy loves to hit late, hit out of bounds and is basically a real tool in my books. Glad he's gone.

I hope they cut Foley loose to be the great pass rusher that he can be. With Jones he was always dropping back into coverage.

Will Foley's bro be back to add some life and character to this site. Never had issues with him.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Why would Laing be good as gone? He is a quality interior NI lineman with a year left on his contract. I count 4 solid Canadian starters on Defence.
    I agree, but we need at least one strong backup NAT d-lineman if we are going to start one at DE and one at DT. Hope we draft a DT. Four on D would mean we need to start only one NAT receiver (Durie) and could really gain roster flexibility if we also started Coombs somewhere. Watt seems very unlikely to start (if he even returns).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Interesting trade - i guess fills a need for both teams - swap of good NI D players, and both teams have some depth/youth at the position they just traded, so makes sense?
    I did like both Okpo and Whiteside at DE last year, so a 3 man platoon with Foley at DE might be nice; and draft a DT (out of a very deep crop this draft) to go with Laing - and the Argos could easily start/play 4 NI on D (2 DL, one LB spot + safety ?)

However, (groan) - Does this mean A5/35 and his one trick pony act will be back posting here with all kinds of snide or pompous put-downs of other posters and pretty well all Canadian players not named Ricky Foley?

Banned
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Foley is a a@@hat.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I agree, but we need at least one strong backup NAT d-lineman if we are going to start one at DE and one at DT. Hope we draft a DT. Four on D would mean we need to start only one NAT receiver (Durie) and could really gain roster flexibility if we also started Coombs somewhere. Watt seems very unlikely to start (if he even returns).
    Agreed the Argos could really use a high draft pick for a DL. Could you foresee 2 INT starting on the O-line? I guess a lot hinges on what happens with Holmes.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Both players had off years, as for Foley didn't like him in the time here with the Argos.
    I may be one of the few here who is not impressed with Foley, with his best years in BC.
    His best before date may have expired.

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I didn't know that 12 sacks represented an off season.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    I didn't know that 12 sacks represented an off season.

Numbers do not always tell a story.
    He was not the impact player the Riders were looking for as a rush end, more or less the same scenario last time here.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    He was not the impact player the Riders were looking for as a rush end
    What is your source for this claim? A link would be nice.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    He was not the impact player the Riders were looking for as a rush end, more or less the same scenario last time here.
    I have to disagree with you, AT. Foley was one of Saskatchewan's top defensive players over the last two seasons.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I have to disagree with you, AT. Foley was one of Saskatchewan's top defensive players over the last two seasons.
    Yep Ravi, agreed; and Foley is IMO maybe the most complete DE in the CFL (i'd go with Chick as best overall though perhaps) - Foley is a good pass rusher but is also the best run-stopping DE in the CFL (check his tackle numbers over the past number of years), and makes D plays forcing & recovering fumbles. I have no clue what argotom has been watching there ???

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Yep Ravi, agreed; and Foley is IMO maybe the most complete DE in the CFL (i'd go with Chick as best overall though perhaps) - Foley is a good pass rusher but is also the best run-stopping DE in the CFL (check his tackle numbers over the past number of years), and makes D plays forcing & recovering fumbles. I have no clue what argotom has been watching there ???
    Should be fun watching Foley and Okpalaugo as bookends on the D-Line this season and Greenwood at linebacker, fills a huge need for Toronto.
    Nice job by Barker on this one!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    I have mixed feelings about this trade. There is a very good chance that Greenwood will do a great job of replacing Emry, but does anyone remember an Argo very promising pickup in the past who never worked out (Don't answer this question please - it might give me nightmares as I can remember Argos past all the way back to 1959). Foley can be a top rush end as long as he doesn't let his emotions get the better of him (something that happened in BC too). Emry did get better as the year wore on and has age on his side. Even if Foley has a fine year, how many can there be left in a position where speed is critical? After all, Wally became the winningest coach in CFL history by knowing when to let a star go, usually a year or two before the end so he could get something valuable in return. Nevertheless, moving Emry does fill a hole at rush end and also allows Greenwood to show his stuff.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Interesting trade - i guess fills a need for both teams - swap of good NI D players, and both teams have some depth/youth at the position they just traded, so makes sense?
    I did like both Okpo and Whiteside at DE last year, so a 3 man platoon with Foley at DE might be nice; and draft a DT (out of a very deep crop this draft) to go with Laing - and the Argos could easily start/play 4 NI on D (2 DL, one LB spot + safety ?)

However, (groan) - Does this mean A5/35 and his one trick pony act will be back posting here with all kinds of snide or pompous put-downs of other posters and pretty well all Canadian players not named Ricky Foley?
    It will be quite easy to pick him out when he makes his first few posts though, let's have a find Area51 contest! It's interesting how the Argos couldn't show Foley the $ to stay, but now pick up his big contract. Foley shouldn't have took shots at the Argos when he left though. Hopefully he plays well under the new system and hard feelings are all in the past.

Emry played decent last year and there is no reason to think he won't this season, or better. It's time for the Greenwood era, he's Barkers guy.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Sometimes numbers do tell the story.
    Ricky Foley:12 Sacks, 54 Tackles (2014) Canadian
    Aston Whiteside: 2 Sacks, 17 Tackles (2014) American
    I'll take that trade off any day of the week.
    Regarding Emry his play in Toronto was rather mediocre, he will probably benefit from a change in teams as well.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Why would Laing be good as gone? He is a quality interior NI lineman with a year left on his contract. I count 4 solid Canadian starters on Defence.
    You are right Gil. Somehow I thought Laing was a FA this year. So two Canadians starters that could rotate with four Imports on the DLine. Greenwood and Jones could rotate some at MLB. With Gabriel and Matt Black at Safety. Black could start at CB IMO in a pinch if needed. But I would think Burke will use three out of those five positions for the defensive ratio on the field which will allow back up and rotation options.

Next job for Jim Barker resign Tyler Holmes.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    You are right Gil. Somehow I thought Laing was a FA this year. So two Canadians starters that could rotate with four Imports on the DLine. Greenwood and Jones could rotate some at MLB. With Gabriel and Matt Black at Safety. Black could start at CB IMO in a pinch if needed. But I would think Burke will use three out of those five positions for the defensive ratio on the field which will allow back up and rotation options.

Next job for Jim Barker resign Tyler Holmes.
    Initially I thought Laing was a FA as well. Actually I thought you were thinking Laing was a DE. Yes, as for Holmes,he would be a huge signing for Barker. Worst case may be starting two Internationals (Rogers and King) up front?

Foley returning to the Argos is the biggest player acquisition in Toronto sport scene since Ray came here in 2012.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Initially I thought Laing was a FA as well. Actually I thought you were thinking Laing was a DE. Yes, as for Holmes,he would be a huge signing for Barker. Worst case may be starting two Internationals (Rogers and King) up front?

Foley returning to the Argos is the biggest player acquisition in Toronto sport scene since Ray came here in 2012.
    Actually kind of nice to see a good old fashioned player trade in the CFL, keeps it interesting!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Not an impact player? He chased countless QB's from yards behind and took them down like nothing. A Dlineman and next to no body fat fitness freak. He's got a couple years left yet.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Worst case may be starting two Internationals (Rogers and King) up front?
    We can easily play two INTs on the o-line: start three NATs on D, two at receiver and three on the o-line. That would give us eight NAT starters, one more than required but IMO the minimum actually needed to have roster flex in the event of injury. Starting three on D is almost a given now, and if Laing re-signs and we can find an adequate backup d-lineman, there is no reason we could not start four on D, allowing us to use four INT receivers plus an INT RB and Durie/Coombs at SB.