Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Laing isn't a free agent. The way I see it the Argos could potentially start Foley, Laing, Greenwood, Gabriel and Black as Canadians on defense. On offense (assuming that Holmes re-signs) we can start him, Keeping, Van Zeyl and Durie to give us potentially 9 National starters. While, nothing is guaranteed this acquisition could provide the Argos with quite a bit of ratio flexibility.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumblitis View Post
    Not an impact player? He chased countless QB's from yards behind and took them down like nothing. A Dlineman and next to no body fat fitness freak. He's got a couple years left yet.
    Not good enough Fumbilitis!!
    A defensive end who chases down quarterbacks and tackles them, only 12 sacks, 54 tackles last season WTF!!
    His last game in a Toronto uniform was also an embarrassment to both the Argonauts organization and all us Argofans alike......uhhhhh never mind!!

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    Laing isn't a free agent. The way I see it the Argos could potentially start Foley, Laing, Greenwood, Gabriel and Black as Canadians on defense. On offense (assuming that Holmes re-signs) we can start him, Keeping, Van Zeyl and Durie to give us potentially 9 National starters. While, nothing is guaranteed this acquisition could provide the Argos with quite a bit of ratio flexibility.
    Although his health is an issue and we may not bring him back, I think it's fair to say that Watt is also a proven starter. We really do have a lot of options, and little to no ratio concerns.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    It will be quite easy to pick him out when he makes his first few posts though, let's have a find Area51 contest! It's interesting how the Argos couldn't show Foley the $ to stay, but now pick up his big contract. Foley shouldn't have took shots at the Argos when he left though. Hopefully he plays well under the new system and hard feelings are all in the past.

Emry played decent last year and there is no reason to think he won't this season, or better. It's time for the Greenwood era, he's Barkers guy.
    We shall see about Greenwood starting at MLB; the Argos still have Greg Jones though and if there are already 7 other NI starters, then Jones could be the MLB; but Greenwood is a very promising perhaps impact D player; Jones looked fairly impressive at times when he was in last season. Nice to have depth / competition at all positions - i wonder if Greenwood could play OLB with Jones at (MLB) - similar to BC deploying 2 big, very good natural linebackers in (Sol-E & Bighill), with Ware as the cover OLB ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    It's interesting how the Argos couldn't show Foley the $ to stay, but now pick up his big contract.
    I don't recall money being the reason why Foley left Toronto. IIRC, the major reason he left was because he didn't like playing in Chris Jones' defence.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Boatman
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 184
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    good to see the Argos efforts focusing on the D. As a fan who sat through 8 home games in 2014, it was clear to me that the key to victory every time was scoring over 30 pts because you sure-as-hell knew the Argos were giving up 30 (lone obvious exception, the final game vs Ottawa, but we're talking the RedBlacks people!)
    For 2014 the Argo Defence was MIA. Let's see more improvements there please, this is a nice start, good job.
    PS I clearly remember chatting with Foley at the 2011 reunion of the 1991 Argos, he was representing the 2011 club (along with Chad Owens & [Flashback] Jermaine Copeland) that day, and Ricky was open and friendly to us fans, appreciated his being there.

Banned
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Foley shouldn't have took shots at the Argos when he left though. Hopefully he plays well under the new system and hard feelings are all in the past.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I expect Greenwood to step in and easily be as good as Emry was last season.
    I'd be very surprised if Greenwood played that poorly. When Emry wasn't caught out of position he was missing tackles. It almost looked sometimes like he was avoiding direct contact -- maybe a post-concussion thing. This trade is an absolute steal for the Argos. Plus, Foley's a colourful Canadian guy who's good with the media and will help with the Argos marketing campaign, if they actually have one this year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I'd be very surprised if Greenwood played that poorly. When Emry wasn't caught out of position he was missing tackles. It almost looked sometimes like he was avoiding direct contact -- maybe a post-concussion thing. This trade is an absolute steal for the Argos. Plus, Foley's a colourful Canadian guy who's good with the media and will help with the Argos marketing campaign, if they actually have one this year.
    Well, whatever "Marketing Campaign" the Argos do employ this season, who ever is running it will be in tough as rumor has it the schedule will be a nightmare yet again due to other sporting events.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I thought Emry threw some nice body checks in 2014, seemed to have issues wrapping guys up, as you stated maybe he was injured??

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I agree with your assessment of Emry. I will be surprised if the Greenwood, Jones and Ware combination isn't better than most of what we saw last year. They may play Greenwood in the middle but he has good speed (4.6 forty I believe) and could play on the outside. I believe Burke was happy with the play of Thomas Miles as a 4th round unheralded rookie last year and they still have Tonye-Tonye who for some reason didn't see the field much last year, played fairly well in 2013 when he has a chance.
    I had been wondering how Barker would unload Emry (I think we all knew it was coming) but never thought for a moment it would be for Foley after his last go round here. I was thinking Saskatchewan would be a good fit but thought maybe Getslaf might be the return, and I would have been ok with that move. They have to get some better receivers in here for Ricky than the bunch he had to work with last year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    wasn't ricky foley scheduled to be a free agent in February? how does that impact this / if any or am i missing something. Think Foley is a good (re-) addition to the squad, especially one that didn't generate a ton of a pass rush outside of Okpalaugo this past year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by mchesher03 View Post
    wasn't ricky foley scheduled to be a free agent in February? how does that impact this / if any or am i missing something.
    Saskatchewan had already re-signed Foley to a new contract a few weeks ago.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by mchesher03 View Post
    wasn't ricky foley scheduled to be a free agent in February? how does that impact this / if any or am i missing something. Think Foley is a good (re-) addition to the squad, especially one that didn't generate a ton of a pass rush outside of Okpalaugo this past year.
    Riders re-signed a few months ago but wasn't reported until recently.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Foley wrote a nice thank-you letter to Rider fans today:

He genuinely seemed to enjoy playing in a city where there is so much passion for the sport of Canadian football.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points

Level
    Does this mean the Shea Emry-designed lid will go on sale now?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    I I believe Burke was happy with the play of Thomas Miles as a 4th round unheralded rookie last year and they still have Tonye-Tonye who for some reason didn't see the field much last year, played fairly well in 2013 when he has a chance.
    Don't forget James Yurichuk who had 1 start last season, and was spectacular.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I would be surprised to se Tonye-Tonye on the roster this season.

Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Foley wrote a nice thank-you letter to Rider fans today:

He genuinely seemed to enjoy playing in a city where there is so much passion for the sport of Canadian football.
    Must be a unique experience for many players to play in a town where the CFL team is king, but although the Riders attendance figures are greater than the Argonauts, the Argo fans that do show are just as passionate!!
    Better days ahead for this organization!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Must be a unique experience for many players to play in a town where the CFL team is king, but although the Riders attendance figures are greater than the Argonauts, the Argo fans that do show are just as passionate!!
    Better days ahead for this organization!!
    I've been on this forum for awhile now and it may seem like you guys are small in number but the passion for your team is just as intense.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumblitis View Post
    Not an impact player? He chased countless QB's from yards behind and took them down like nothing. A Dlineman and next to no body fat fitness freak. He's got a couple years left yet.

All of you seem to forget he was platooned his last year with the team.
    In fact, as my seats are on the Argos side I remember his pouting on the sideline during the home game when it was clear he was not playing every down.