Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level

John Chiles signs with Chicago Bears

Reading on twitter that John Chiles has signed with the Bears. Best of luck to him.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Boatman
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points
    Level
    There is a post from the CFL twitter feed stating he's been released so it's likely true that he'll sign some sort of contract south of the border.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Good luck to John. But it is a little disappointing to me why the Argos can't seem to keep some of their top receivers like other teams do. Inman and Childs are good receivers but are they better than Richardson, Green or Stamps in their prime? I don't think so. Maybe it is just the NFL increasing their training camp rosters the last couple of years, but I can't remember so many average CFL players signing down South.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Good luck to John. But it is a little disappointing to me why the Argos can't seem to keep some of their top receivers like other teams do. Inman and Childs are good receivers but are they better than Richardson, Green or Stamps in their prime? I don't think so. Maybe it is just the NFL increasing their training camp rosters the last couple of years, but I can't remember so many average CFL players signing down South.
    In their defence, any player that has NFL interest is likely to try it, rather than re-sign with their CFL club. I have no problem with this, as he is entering free agency in a couple of weeks anyways. I just don't like, as many others don't, when a player is released with a year left on his contract to pursue NFL employment.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Or Argonaut scouting has a good eye for spotting talented receivers.

Boatman
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 187
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    I applaud him and wish him luck. This is the downside of the CFL - we train them, and get them to a success point, then the NFL comes calling...for a bit. Can't fault Chiles. I hope it works out for him, and if not, I could see him come back to Toronto

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    All the best to him.
    Having said that, I also agree some effort should and I hope was made to sign this top notch receiver before releasing.
    Like SJ Green, he recently declined the Als offer over $200k per season and will no doubt get the same if not more in FA.
    So the money although it will never be comparable, receivers are now exceeding this figure plus the usual CFL bonus money at around $25k plus.
    When you consider the risk with the No Funners, unless there is up front bonus money, most will likely sign to stay.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Chiles has tons of talent, his big challenge will be staying healthy.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    I'm very curious to see how we replace Chiles. The only two legitimate candidates currently on the roster (IMHO) are Adams, who played some boundary WR last year (to modest effect) and new guy Mark Harrison, who is big and fast. Hopefully we'll bring in some more guys...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    All the best to him.
    Having said that, I also agree some effort should and I hope was made to sign this top notch receiver before releasing.
    Like SJ Green, he recently declined the Als offer over $200k per season and will no doubt get the same if not more in FA.
    So the money although it will never be comparable, receivers are now exceeding this figure plus the usual CFL bonus money at around $25k plus.
    When you consider the risk with the No Funners, unless there is up front bonus money, most will likely sign to stay.
    What has Chiles done in the CFL to deserve $200,000?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 169
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    What has Chiles done in the CFL to deserve $200,000?
    I'd be surprised if he was over 100k last year. He will make that on a NFL practice roster. There is no reason to stay in the CFL, especially with open arms waiting your return. Reality.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Good luck to Chiles there - he has some receiver talent and might make it; however - always curious how the NFL super-experts go about signing top CFL talent; maybe mostly on contacts. references or measureables like size or speed? Cause Chiles gets signed there when he couldn't hold the jock-strap of current CFL receivers like Bowman or SJ Green in all-around receiver talent, who aren't on the NFL call list ??? Milt Stegall and Geroy Simon (got a couple of NFL try-outs during his CFL time i think) in YEARS of their CFL prime, were hands down IMO better than all kinds of NFL roster receivers (starters of back-ups), but the NFL super-experts were clueless there = i say again - that is good for the CFL. Weston Dressler getting cut from the usually mediocre to $hitty KC Chiefs receiving corps this year was laughable - but again - good for the CFL and Rider fans in particular.
    Last edited by OV Argo; 01-28-2015 at 01:02 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    I'm very curious to see how we replace Chiles. The only two legitimate candidates currently on the roster (IMHO) are Adams, who played some boundary WR last year (to modest effect) and new guy Mark Harrison, who is big and fast. Hopefully we'll bring in some more guys...
    Is Adams not due to become a FA? I was disappointed in his production last year & the resigning of Jarrod Fason does not inspire me in the least. Expect some ex NFL guys to be signed as the offseason FA camps get going. Perhaps Robert Gill returns again?

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    The receiving corps arguably becomes one of Barker's major areas to address this off-season with this.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    The receiving corps arguably becomes one of Barker's major areas to address this off-season with this.
    The Argos are like the Stamps...great at recruiting receivers (see: Owens, Chiles, Inman). I don't think scouts will have trouble finding receivers.

Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    If we can get SJ or Nik Lewis plus a few new youngsters, I wouldn't be too concerened. I know we're set at SB but I think Nik Lewis would provide some much needed leadership. Way too many guys quit last year.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    If we can get SJ or Nik Lewis plus a few new youngsters, I wouldn't be too concerened. I know we're set at SB but I think Nik Lewis would provide some much needed leadership. Way too many guys quit last year.
    I would not want Nik Lewis, I think he is pretty much done. As for the guys who quit last year, not sure who you are referring to, but my solution there would be to cut them.

Boatman
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points
    Level
    I thought I saw somewhere that Luke Tasker was re-signed by the Hamilton but according to the CFL Free Agent Tracker on their website he hasn't. I wonder if he has NFL tryouts in mind. Hamilton has quite a list of receivers that are about to become free agents, Tasker would be at the top of that list and would have a tonne of suitors around the league (including here).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Stouffvillain View Post
    I thought I saw somewhere that Luke Tasker was re-signed by the Hamilton but according to the CFL Free Agent Tracker on their website he hasn't. I wonder if he has NFL tryouts in mind. Hamilton has quite a list of receivers that are about to become free agents, Tasker would be at the top of that list and would have a tonne of suitors around the league (including here).
    Drew Edwards, Hamiltons excellent beat writer, recently reported that Luke Tasker (son of Pro Football Hall of Famer Steve Tasker), has indeed signed an extension with Hamilton, but the transaction has yet to be released to the media.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Good luck to Chiles there - he has some receiver talent and might make it; however - always curious how the NFL super-experts go about signing top CFL talent; maybe mostly on contacts. references or measureables like size or speed? Cause Chiles gets signed there when he couldn't hold the jock-strap of current CFL receivers like Bowman or SJ Green in all-around receiver talent, who aren't on the NFL call list ??? Milt Stegall and Geroy Simon (got a couple of NFL try-outs during his CFL time i think) in YEARS of their CFL prime, were hands down IMO better than all kinds of NFL roster receivers (starters of back-ups), but the NFL super-experts were clueless there = i say again - that is good for the CFL. Weston Dressler getting cut from the usually mediocre to $hitty KC Chiefs receiving corps this year was laughable - but again - good for the CFL and Rider fans in particular.
    Chiles is nowhere near as polished or talented of receiver as G. Simon, M. Stegall or D. Tucker. It seems the NFL's prime consideration is size, speed and youth...not that a receiver caught 100 balls for 2000 yds in the CFL and was named the league MVP. Another example is Chris Wilson, who was the only member of the Lions DL who was not named an All-Star in 2006, but he was the one signed in the NFL (youth and speed). Another surprising NFL signing included CFL receiver Dudley Guice. There are dozens more like him who perhaps had impressed a NFL coach while in college...not the CFL.

Geroy was actually signed by 8 NFL teams but never got a real chance to play. He wasn't All-World in his first couple of CFL seasons either but developed into a very polished receiver, one of the best ever. He could have easily played in the NFL but perhaps lacked the long arms or big hands which so impresses the NFL computer.