Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I don't think NFL teams have a bias against CFL players. They are 2 different games, and some are better suited than others. If a CFL slotback puts up great numbers in the CFL, doesn't mean he can do it in the NFL. Some receivers became great because they can take advantage of the running start in our game.

Same goes for some NFL players. Their talents may not be suited to the quikness needed up here and wouldn't make a CFL roster.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Boatman
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Drew Edwards, Hamiltons excellent beat writer, recently reported that Luke Tasker (son of Pro Football Hall of Famer Steve Tasker), has indeed signed an extension with Hamilton, but the transaction has yet to be released to the media.
    That is probably where I saw it. Odd that it hasn't been published yet. You would think that Hamilton would want that news out there.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    I would not want Nik Lewis, I think he is pretty much done. As for the guys who quit last year, not sure who you are referring to, but my solution there would be to cut them.
    Whether Nik Lewis goes to Toronto or not all depends on how many fried chicken joints there are in the GTA.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Is Adams not due to become a FA?
    I'm assuming that Adams would be fairly easy to re-sign if we want him. But yeah, I'd really like to see some serious competition at this position. If we have another year of low production at boundary WR we'll be very reliant on a healthy Owens and Durie.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I don't think NFL teams have a bias against CFL players. They are 2 different games, and some are better suited than others. If a CFL slotback puts up great numbers in the CFL, doesn't mean he can do it in the NFL. Some receivers became great because they can take advantage of the running start in our game.

Same goes for some NFL players. Their talents may not be suited to the quikness needed up here and wouldn't make a CFL roster.
    Not necessarily bias against CFL players - just a lot of the so-called experts there are either dismissive of or totally ignorant of the talent that is in the CFL - just IMO. Like a lot of so-called experts - these types think they know it all, and their attitude towards a lot of CFL players is - if he were good enough we wouldn't have over-looked or cut him in the first place; or - superb CFL production or stats = big deal, that's an inferior minor league. And good for those types = i say again : this is good for CFL teams and fans.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    If we can get SJ or Nik Lewis plus a few new youngsters, I wouldn't be too concerened. I know we're set at SB but I think Nik Lewis would provide some much needed leadership. Way too many guys quit last year.
    SJ Green just signed a new deal with Montreal.
    Darvin Adams surely isn't the answer based on last years performance.
    Pressure is on Barker and his player personnel staff to find some blue chip receiving talent not only as a general upgrade but in case the injury bug hits again in 2015.
    Nik Lewis has just signed as a slotback for Team Jenny Craig.....True Story!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    I'm very curious to see how we replace Chiles. The only two legitimate candidates currently on the roster (IMHO) are Adams, who played some boundary WR last year (to modest effect) and new guy Mark Harrison, who is big and fast. Hopefully we'll bring in some more guys...
    Harrison is a guy we should keep an eye on in camp, as you said Wobbler the guy has good size and speed and could be a beast for any corner to handle.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Not necessarily bias against CFL players - just a lot of the so-called experts there are either dismissive of or totally ignorant of the talent that is in the CFL - just IMO. Like a lot of so-called experts - these types think they know it all, and their attitude towards a lot of CFL players is - if he were good enough we wouldn't have over-looked or cut him in the first place; or - superb CFL production or stats = big deal, that's an inferior minor league. And good for those types = i say again : this is good for CFL teams and fans.
    I can buy that when it comes to sports media types and fans, but not NFL scouts. They're already trained to evaluate NCAA players from what others might perceive as inferior smaller colleges, so I doubt evaluating CFL players is a stretch for them.

One thing we don't know is how many NFL teams actually scout the CFL on a regular basis. Not exactly a shortage of players south of the 49th to keep them busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Invader View Post
    Geroy was actually signed by 8 NFL teams but never got a real chance to play. He wasn't All-World in his first couple of CFL seasons either but developed into a very polished receiver, one of the best ever. He could have easily played in the NFL but perhaps lacked the long arms or big hands which so impresses the NFL computer.
    I'm sure many CFL vets have rejected offers to go down south because they're very comfortable in their CFL team and city. We know Anthony Calvillo and Chad Owens said no to the NFL.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    I can buy that when it comes to sports media types and fans, but not NFL scouts. They're already trained to evaluate NCAA players from what others might perceive as inferior smaller colleges, so I doubt evaluating CFL players is a stretch for them.

One thing we don't know is how many NFL teams actually scout the CFL on a regular basis. Not exactly a shortage of players south of the 49th to keep them busy.

I'm sure many CFL vets have rejected offers to go down south because they're very comfortable in their CFL team and city. We know Anthony Calvillo and Chad Owens said no to the NFL.
    I'm sure NFL scouts are keenly aware of what is happening in the CFL, especially with the likes of Cameron Wake coming through our league.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Well look at here AJ signs with the Als after all and for some decent money.

"It’s believed Green will receive in the vicinity of $250,000 annually, various sources have told the Montreal Gazette. That total would include a base salary and signing bonus divided fairly evenly. Saskatchewan’s Chris Getzlaf had been the league’s highest-paid receiver, earning about $225,000, while Toronto’s Chad Owens is paid $205,000, according to sources".

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    Well look at here AJ signs with the Als after all and for some decent money.

"It’s believed Green will receive in the vicinity of $250,000 annually, various sources have told the Montreal Gazette. That total would include a base salary and signing bonus divided fairly evenly. Saskatchewan’s Chris Getzlaf had been the league’s highest-paid receiver, earning about $225,000, while Toronto’s Chad Owens is paid $205,000, according to sources".
    Do you think that the Argos should have offered Chiles a similar contract to Green's, AT?
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Do you think that the Argos should have offered Chiles a similar contract to Green's, AT?
    No that is not my point and Chiles is not yet in the same league as Green, but after the few more years he could have developed into one of the top 5 receivers in the league.
    So maybe some money at around $175k could have convinced him from exploring the US possibility.
    And boy do we need help at the receiver position.
    Meanwhile, the Cats have just signed that Ben Cahoun like fireplug Luke Tasker to a 3 year contract.
    Just these two signing examples of keeping the top notch vets is disappointing to our team and the fragile fan base.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Maybe the reason Barker can't match the big ticket's like Green's is because of Ricky Ray's reported salary in the 500,000 range category beside Owens. I would think the total Montreal QB salaries are less than Ricky's.
    But getting back to Childs he had one good year and then so so one last year. Green and Owens have paid their dues so to speak and wanted to be here. The guys that are coming up here to just get to the NFL Camps I wouldn't break the Bank for. Pay them the minimum, say thanks for everything, good by and NEXT. You get a good one that wants to stay then show him the money.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Green is very good, but I would not pay him $250k. IMO, he is not as big a game changer as a Chad Owens.

Quote Originally Posted by argotom
    So maybe some money at around $175k could have convinced him from exploring the US possibility.
    Really?? You would pay a guy that hasn't exactly dominated the league $175k based on potential? There is not a team in the league that would have paid Chiles much over 100k (at this point in his career), and there is no way either of those figures are going to stop a player from trying to make it in the NFL..at least not at his age. Chad Owens took the Argos offer rather than try the NFL, but he was 29 at the time, and realistically, his chances of making it down there at that age were very slim.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    No that is not my point and Chiles is not yet in the same league as Green, but after the few more years he could have developed into one of the top 5 receivers in the league.
    Given what he has done on the field to date, giving him a salary just $30k below what Owens reportedly makes would have been insane.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Maybe the reason Barker can't match the big ticket's like Green's is because of Ricky Ray's reported salary in the 500,000 range category beside Owens. I would think the total Montreal QB salaries are less than Ricky's.
    I don't think that is a big factor. I'm willing to bet the Argos came in well below the salary cap last season, with Ray, Owens, Durie and Emery as there only highly paid players.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    It was obvious last year that Childs injuries last year not only limited his playing time, but also affected his on-field performance at times. If he could stay healthy and stayed here, I would have envision him becoming a top receiver in the league with some polishing. I wish him luck in the NFL and would love to see him back if he doesn't.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    It was obvious last year that Childs injuries last year not only limited his playing time, but also affected his on-field performance at times. If he could stay healthy and stayed here, I would have envision him becoming a top receiver in the league with some polishing. I wish him luck in the NFL and would love to see him back if he doesn't.
    No different then Chris Matthews rookie of the year with the Bombers in 2012, injured most of 2013 and eventually cracks the Seahawks roster in 2014.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumblitis View Post
    No different then Chris Matthews rookie of the year with the Bombers in 2012, injured most of 2013 and eventually cracks the Seahawks roster in 2014.
    Actually a lot different IMO - Matthews had a wayyyyyy bigger CFL rookie season and is a better / more polished receiver than Chiles; but Chiles could make the Bears roster - a lot of CFL receivers could easily make NFL rosters in the right situation or with some opportunity / playing time - like Inman looked like about the best Chargers' receiver when he got in late in the season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Actually a lot different IMO - Matthews had a wayyyyyy bigger CFL rookie season and is a better / more polished receiver than Chiles; but Chiles could make the Bears roster - a lot of CFL receivers could easily make NFL rosters in the right situation or with some opportunity / playing time - like Inman looked like about the best Chargers' receiver when he got in late in the season.
    Matthews just caught a long bomb pass to help set-up the Seahawks 1st TD in the SB; bout time they got him in there - he is IMO better than most of their other receivers who have been playing = another example of a very good CFL talent who can easily play in the super-heroes (to some) NFL.