Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Matthews just caught a long bomb pass to help set-up the Seahawks 1st TD in the SB; bout time they got him in there - he is IMO better than most of their other receivers who have been playing = another example of a very good CFL talent who can easily play in the super-heroes (to some) NFL.
    As it stands at the moment, he should be the MVP as Seattle isn't even in the game without him.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    As it stands at the moment, he should be the MVP as Seattle isn't even in the game without him.
    CFL fans across Canada should not be the least bit surprised that Chris Matthews had the game he had. The question lingers, what was he doing on the PR until December 6?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    CFL fans across Canada should not be the least bit surprised that Chris Matthews had the game he had. The question lingers, what was he doing on the PR until December 6?
    Seattle maybe asking themselves the same thing, shocking that an ex CFL player could make such an impact

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Was there any mention on the US network by the announcer and colour guy of his CFL roots?

Don
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    Was there any mention on the US network by the announcer and colour guy of his CFL roots?
    Not at first. They mentioned he was working at a Foot Locker. On a subsequent catch they mentioned that he'd started his career in the CFL and was rookie of the year.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    Not at first. They mentioned he was working at a Foot Locker. On a subsequent catch they mentioned that he'd started his career in the CFL and was rookie of the year.
    My guess is that after Michaels & Collinsworth came-up with the ignorant and ludicrous assertion that the Seahawks had " found" Matthews working in a Foot-Locker store, that somebody tweeted the twits and told them about his real football bio - i.e. he was in the CFL and the Bombers released him to pursue NFL opportunities.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Why do you care what the No Funners broadcasters say?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    My guess is that after Michaels & Collinsworth came-up with the ignorant and ludicrous assertion that the Seahawks had " found" Matthews working in a Foot-Locker store, that somebody tweeted the twits and told them about his real football bio - i.e. he was in the CFL and the Bombers released him to pursue NFL opportunities.
    I suspect that you are right, OV. Certainly a big difference from watching CFL games on TSN where you get not only every NFL team that a player played for but often footage of them or their fathers playing in that league.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Why do you care what the No Funners broadcasters say?
    ??? - maybe cause i\m a football fan - of both leagues - and i don\t like to hear clueless ignoramuses spout drivel. Maybe some of those clowns should buy a clue and learn something about the CFL - you know, that little old football league with a 100 and some year long history and that has employed thousands of fine American football players for decades.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    To be fair, they did mention he played in the CFL before they mentioned the foot locker thing. It might have been missed because they didn't make a big deal f it at the time. They really then emphasized the foot locker thing (as well as his CFL rookie honours) after his 3rd big catch.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    To be fair, they did mention he played in the CFL before they mentioned the foot locker thing. It might have been missed because they didn't make a big deal f it at the time. They really then emphasized the foot locker thing (as well as his CFL rookie honours) after his 3rd big catch.
    You must have heard something different than me - because the first mention i heard of Matthews was after his first catch and they responded with "they found this guy at a Foot-Locker; it was only after his 2nd catch - and quite a few minutes had passed by - that they mentioned the CFL and him winning ROTY

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    You must have heard something different than me - because the first mention i heard of Matthews was after his first catch and they responded with "they found this guy at a Foot-Locker; it was only after his 2nd catch - and quite a few minutes had passed by - that they mentioned the CFL and him winning ROTY
    I never heard the foot locker reference after the first catch..I guess I was too busy being happy for him.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    ??? - maybe cause i\m a football fan - of both leagues - and i don\t like to hear clueless ignoramuses spout drivel. Maybe some of those clowns should buy a clue and learn something about the CFL - you know, that little old football league with a 100 and some year long history and that has employed thousands of fine American football players for decades.

Question wasn't addressed to you, OV. Sorry if this wasn't clear. I neglected to use the Quote feature.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Question wasn't addressed to you, OV. Sorry if this wasn't clear. I neglected to use the Quote feature.
    If it was me, heck I have no problem answering that.
    You are right I don't care about the No Funners, save and except the involvement and from what I heard afterwards the great catches made by the CFL Matthews.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I never heard the foot locker reference after the first catch..I guess I was too busy being happy for him.
    OV is correct, AV. They never mentioned the CFL until well after the "Foot Locker" reference. Michaels and Collinsworth probably have little idea what the CFL even is.

Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    OV is correct, AV. They never mentioned the CFL until well after the "Foot Locker" reference. Michaels and Collinsworth probably have little idea what the CFL even is.
    I thought this was the case as well Ravi. How they said it bothered me. They made it sound like the Seahawks begged him to leave his Foot Locker job to try out when in fact he played two seasons for the Bombers, left after NFL interest and probably held an off-season job at FL not like some guy off the streets (Vince Papale - Invincible or Rudy Ruettiger - Rudy) like how they mentioned it.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 348
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Their media ignore or are indifferent to Canada in most cases. Why would anyone expect football be any different?

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    Their media ignore or are indifferent to Canada in most cases. Why would anyone expect football be any different?
    Indifference is the appropriate term. I haven't seen any evidence that mainstream U.S. media (actively, by definition) ignores Canada.

Obviously NBC's research staff didn't spend a lot of time on Matthews because like everyone else, they didn't expect him to play a meaningful role on Sunday. When he made a great catch they had to say something, and they eventually disclosed more details of his history while focusing on the most mediagenic aspects.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    I thought this was the case as well Ravi. How they said it bothered me. They made it sound like the Seahawks begged him to leave his Foot Locker job to try out when in fact he played two seasons for the Bombers, left after NFL interest and probably held an off-season job at FL not like some guy off the streets (Vince Papale - Invincible or Rudy Ruettiger - Rudy) like how they mentioned it.
    Actually Gabe, Vince Papale had prior professional football experience in the WFL with the Philadelphia Bell...under HC Willie Wood who would come coach the Argos a few years later. The movie Invincible missed that small detail. His book did not.