Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level

2016 Grey Cup in Toronto, says the mayor, then he recants

John Tory says the 2016 Grey Cup will be in Toronto, then says he misspoke.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/argos/...-grey-cup.html

I wonder if he knows something we don't, or if this was just a genuine overenthusiastic slipup by a guy who has a lot on his plate.
    Faster + Louder = Better

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 153
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    I heard that too but I thought that he meant the World Cup not the Grey Cup.

Boatman
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points
    Level
    This could very well be a stipulation put in by whoever (MLSE) is in talks to buy the team. Having the Grey Cup in your first season as owner (and the team in a new venue) would be something I would ask for when in negotiations.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Achievements:

Level
    Looks like Mr. Tory just let the cat out of the bag regarding MLSE buying the Argos. He wouldn't have just pulled that little factoid out of thin air. Obviously he's been in on the discussions, and forgot he wasn't supposed to talk about it.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    My guess is that part of the deal for MLSE to purchase the argos and help pay for the BMO upgrade is by hosting a Grey Cup ASAP. Hosting it at Skydome could be a way to appease Rogers.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    This could also be a reward for Mr. Braley for bankrolling the Argos over the past few seasons. The value of the Argos would be imcreased, putting pressure on MLSE into making their move. MLSE would no doubt love the GC payday plus the opportunity to promote the Raptors/TFC/Jays to the millions of viewers across Canada...and now the U.S. too.

The 2016 Grey Cup in Toronto would revitialize the CFL brand in Toronto, which is no small feat. Let's not forget the tremendous 2012 Grey Cup success with 3.6 million viewers in the extended GTA watching all or part of the historic game. There are so many positives it makes little sense to host the game in Hamilton as was conjectured. The Ticats will also benefit greatly from a strong CFL franchise in Toronto.

Banned
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    My guess is that part of the deal for MLSE to purchase the argos and help pay for the BMO upgrade is by hosting a Grey Cup ASAP.
    Personally I don't think this "news" is a sign that MLSE is closer to purchasing the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Invader View Post
    The 2016 Grey Cup in Toronto would revitialize the CFL brand in Toronto, which is no small feat. Let's not forget the tremendous 2012 Grey Cup success with 3.6 million viewers in the extended GTA watching all or part of the historic game.
    Would it? The TV numbers were great and the event a success but did the 2012 Grey Cup revitalize the CFL in Toronto? I was very hopeful after we won the 2012 GC that the Argos would get a boost the next season coming off that success but three weeks after the event in was almost like it didn't happen. I'm playing a bit of Devil's advocate here but I'm also trying to be realistic. A Grey Cup alone might not be enough to get the ball rolling again for the Argos.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    This could also be a reward for Mr. Braley for bankrolling the Argos over the past few seasons.
    I don't think your dad...er Braley will be getting another Grey Cup in Toronto. He had too many close together in Vancouver, and with his marketing expertise (note the sarcasm), he was up against the clock to sell out this year's game. Having a Grey Cup that doesn't sell out can be a huge embarassment to a league that can be fragile in terms of public perception. If MLSE were to host the game, We can pretty much guarantee that with all there cross promoting connections, the game would sell out within days of hitting the market.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    Personally I don't think this "news" is a sign that MLSE is closer to purchasing the team.

Would it? The TV numbers were great and the event a success but did the 2012 Grey Cup revitalize the CFL in Toronto? I was very hopeful after we won the 2012 GC that the Argos would get a boost the next season coming off that success but three weeks after the event in was almost like it didn't happen. I'm playing a bit of Devil's advocate here but I'm also trying to be realistic. A Grey Cup alone might not be enough to get the ball rolling again for the Argos.
    I agree with you T-Bone...in 2013 it seemed like nothing of major interest happened with the Argos in 2012....it is still disheartening to think about it....

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level

The 2016 Grey Cup in Toronto would revitialize the CFL brand in Toronto, which is no small feat. Let's not forget the tremendous 2012 Grey Cup success with 3.6 million viewers in the extended GTA watching all or part of the historic game.
    The Argos did draw over 35,000 to their playoff game and averaged more fans than the Als in 2013. The Argo TV ratings are also very strong, they're one of the top draws in the CFL. So there are a ton of fans out there but they need a good reason to buy seasons tickets (at Skydome which lacks atmosphere) when they know every home game will be on TV. Relocating to a 25,000-seat BMO might just do the trick. Look at the Als who couldn't draw flys at the Big O but soldout for 10 years after moving to Molson, the RedBlacks selling out last year and the Ticats this year in 24,000-seat stadiums. Supply and demand. There are also more CFL fans in Toronto than in Montreal, Ottawa or Hamilton. You do the math.

Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I don't think your dad...er Braley will be getting another Grey Cup in Toronto. He had too many close together in Vancouver, and with his marketing expertise (note the sarcasm), he was up against the clock to sell out this year's game. Having a Grey Cup that doesn't sell out can be a huge embarassment to a league that can be fragile in terms of public perception. If MLSE were to host the game, We can pretty much guarantee that with all there cross promoting connections, the game would sell out within days of hitting the market.
    The 2012 Grey Cup in Toronto was the most successful in history, which was put on by Pops and Chris Rudge. There's little reason why they can't do it again? If MLSE thinks they can hit a home run with the Grey Cup, the opportunity is there just by buying the Argos at a Fire Sale price. Then MLSE can sit back (capping Argo season ticket sales at 18,000) and watch the franchise's value triple to match other CFL teams, once the Argos are secure in an intimate football-oriented stadium with a preferential home schedule.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

As I previously posted a buddy of mine is friends with someone very close to Braley, the MLSE purchase and move to BMO should be announced in the next month or so.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    You folks are pretty good about seeing a possible connection to MLSE's purchase of the Argos with Tory's "misspeaking" today. That never even dawned on me when I first saw this story. The only thing I thought was that it was odd that Toronto was even in the conversation for a Grey Cup so soon after the last one. I have been assuming all along that the 2016 Grey Cup is Hamilton's. Here's hoping that you folks are correct about this.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Achievements:
    Level
    Hopefully it is in Toronto...hopefully at BMO Field for nice change since 2012 at Rogers Centre was very recent. They will want to showcase the new reno (roof over seats will be done by then).

If it is in Hamilton at the the Timbit box then at least I know I'm going to the Grey Cup in 2016 either way!

Don
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I'm tired of people beating their chests over the 2013 eastern final. I ask this, how many would've been in attendance if the Tiger-Cats had not been the opponent? Perhaps twenty to twenty-five thousand and maybe I'm being too optimistic.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Ok, maybe we shouldn't include Ticat games when we're scrutinizing the true Argo fan support in The Big Smoke, Toronto the Good, Hogtown or "The City of Red Lights" (my own iteration)...but to be fair we should reduce the Blue Bombers attendance by 5,000 or so for the couple games a year the Riders play in the WindyPeg...and also in Cowtown and Aahdmonton when thousands of stuble-jumpers invade their privys. The Steel City's fan's money is good too. If they want to buy Scullers tickets, good on them, there are plenty available...but maybe not so much at 25,000-seat BMO?

Don't feel too sorry for Hamilton if the GC is moved to Toronto. The Argos will have to buy the rights to the game from the Ticats, probably for a couple million, so the Ticats should be suitably compensated...and won't have worry about where the 30,000 out-of-town fans are going to stay.
    Last edited by Invader; 01-28-2015 at 11:09 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Don't feel too sorry for Hamilton if the GC is moved to Toronto. The Argos will have to buy the rights to the game from the Ticats, probably for a couple million, so the Ticats should be suitably compensated...and won't have worry about where the 30,000 out-of-town fans are going to stay.
    Considering that Hamilton hasn't been awarded the 2016 Grey Cup, why would the Argos have to pay them anything?
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Banned
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    The Argos did draw over 35,000 to their playoff game and averaged more fans than the Als in 2013. The Argo TV ratings are also very strong, they're one of the top draws in the CFL. So there are a ton of fans out there but they need a good reason to buy seasons tickets (at Skydome which lacks atmosphere) when they know every home game will be on TV. Relocating to a 25,000-seat BMO might just do the trick. Look at the Als who couldn't draw flys at the Big O but soldout for 10 years after moving to Molson, the RedBlacks selling out last year and the Ticats this year in 24,000-seat stadiums. Supply and demand. There are also more CFL fans in Toronto than in Montreal, Ottawa or Hamilton. You do the math.
    I was referring to the awarding of the 2016 Grey Cup alone as things are now, I don't think that would change much for the Argos in the long run. If the Argos get purchased by MLSE, moved to BMO Field and have a Grey Cup all in the same year, it maybe what it takes to right the ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    As I previously posted a buddy of mine is friends with someone very close to Braley, the MLSE purchase and move to BMO should be announced in the next month or so.
    I hope the friend of your friend who is friends with Braley is right.

Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Considering that Hamilton hasn't been awarded the 2016 Grey Cup, why would the Argos have to pay them anything?
    I was wondering the same thing.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Achievements:

Level
    If there is a city that deserves to host the 2016 Grey Cup it is Hamilton. I for one would like to see their great owner Bob Young, a man who has lost millions in the Ticats get some kind of reward.

Banned
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    If there is a city that deserves to host the 2016 Grey Cup it is Hamilton. I for one would like to see their great owner Bob Young, a man who has lost millions in the Ticats get some kind of reward.
    Ditto ... he's done a great job in Hamilton.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Great another Grey Cup city with a huge lack of Hotel rooms.